Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Duchatelet explains Peeters choice

Comments

• Options
    Don't forget Yann is going to switch sides at 00:01 on 1st July innit
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Don't forget Yann is going to switch sides at 00:01 on 1st July innit

Huh ?
  • Options
    Something not right there, grapevine. The man says Peeters got it because he wanted to work with youth but that Riga also wanted to work with youth. But there was a "slight advantage to Peeters". If you aren't going to hint at what that advantage might be, why make any statement at all?

I'm keeping an open mind on RD but if he was quoted accurately he said our main goal is to stay up, which whilst it maybe realistic is not ambitious and our secondary goal is to work with youth players. All well and good if those youth players are still with us when they are in the running for POTY; not so if they are going to be farmed out, sold off or let go willy-nilly. Guess we'll have to see on that, but what I'd like to see is some sort of goal to gain promotion one day. I've read that interview twice and there is no long-term vision for the club in it, other than survival and not losing money. Perhaps that really is all we have left to look forward to.
  • Options
    Here we go
  • Options
    After you've not been fully reassured that everything had been sorted out during June no??
  • Options

Oi, get off Weegies back! Develop the arguments, not the personal criticism.

Is this the five minute argument or the full half hour.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Fumbluff said:

After you've not been fully reassured that everything had been sorted out during June no??

To be fair Iv been happy with what Iv seen so far apart from today where Peeters said we only need four players , I'd say closer too ten either way I'm still giving rd a chance and looking forward too next season coyr!
  • Options

Something not rioght there, grapevine. The man says Peeters got it because he wanted to work with youth but that Riga also wanted to work with youth. But there was a "slight advantage to Peeters". If you aren't going to hint at what that advantage might be, why make any statement at all?

I'm keeping an open mind on RD but if he was quoted accurately he said our main goal is to stay up, which whilst it maybe realistic is not ambitious and our secondary goal is to work with youth players. All well and good if those youth players are still with us when they are in the running for POTY; not so if they are going to be farmed out, sold off or let go willy-nilly. Guess we'll have to see on that, but what I'd like to see is some sort of goal to gain promotion one day. I've read that interview twice and there is no long-term vision for the club in it, other than survival and not losing money. Perhaps that really is all we have left to look forward to.

Maybe the slight advantage for peeters is that RD thinks he's better at working with youngsters than Riga.

It could be that simple.

• Options
    RD favoured Peeters over Riga. Fair enough and I don't think it's anything to do with us why. Did we query why Curbs, Dowie, Pardew, Parkinson, Lawrence etc etc were appointed over anyone else? No we didn't. Seems we are only doing so now because RD is in charge and some want to use that as a stick to beat RD over the head with.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yann897 said:

Fumbluff said:

To be fair Iv been happy with what Iv seen so far apart from today where Peeters said we only need four players , I'd say closer too ten either way I'm still giving rd a chance and looking forward too next season coyr!
    Why do we need ten more? We've let ten go because they hardly played last season and while they helped CAFC over the last three years they won't add to next season's efforts.
    It sounded like they are looking for a keeper and centre half to replace Dervite and Hamer. And central midfield?
    We don't need bench warmers as that will block the progress of academy players. One could make a case for a big centre forward and another winger but overall I don't think we need a squad with more than 28 players.

• Options
    I'm sitting on the fence watching how RD runs this club.

I just hear him choosing his words carefully, not raising expectations to a level where they are unlikely to be delivered but nevertheless giving an indication as to the direction he wants the club to take.

We'll soon see if his Head Coach can put together a team that can progress, which youngsters are going to make their mark plus the new players yet to be signed within the next couple of months.

It's definitely a work in progress. Let's wait and see how it unfolds.

• Options
    Nope, I'm not beating anyone with a stick, just observing that if you are going to give an interview with a reason for appointing X over Y (which you don't need to do) then it doesn't help to not really give one. Whatever, doesn't stop me supporting the manager.

• Options
    edited June 2014

Yann897 said:

Fumbluff said:

Why do we need ten more? We've let ten go because they hardly played last season and while they helped CAFC over the last three years they won't add to next season's efforts.
    It sounded like they are looking for a keeper and centre half to replace Dervite and Hamer. And central midfield?
    We don't need bench warmers as that will block the progress of academy players. One could make a case for a big centre forward and another winger but overall I don't think we need a squad with more than 28 players.

1,gk
    2 centre backs if Morrison signs ,3 if he doesn't.
    1 right winger too battle with Wilson but if Peeters sees Wilson as a right back then two right mids.
    1 left winger too battle with Harriott.
    1 centre mid if Poyet leaves maybe even 2 because we need an attacking minded centre mid.
    And one big target man type striker if the vetokele deal is done.

So yeah I'd say minimum of 6 but around 8-10 would be better .
  • Options
    @vff‌ I think perhaps Duchatelet is simply being cautious with the rhetoric. I would love to see us contest the play-offs final next May but they need to build a team and squad that improves on last season. And rush in too quickly with too many new signings might risk undermining the 20 odd players who are signed up for the next two or three years. I can see us getting 60+ points next season but the top six take 4 or 6 points of each and every one of the bottom half of the division - that would be a massive step up from where we were under Riga beating some but being hammered by the likes of Brighton.
    The thing about Duchatelet and his wealth is that he can underwrite the costs of progress and accelerate the club's growth on and off the pitch. But he can't / won't do it overnight because he is relying on and empowering management to deliver.
  • Options
    Why am I always picked last :(
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Well, if it's under my control you will never get the chance to find out.

Under what circumstances might it not be under your control? Just trying to conjure an image.
  • Options

Greenie said:

It's all getting a bit lively on here!
    Are the negatives or the positives winning?
    Or are the 'give RD a chance and ignore the sad conspiracy theory know alls' nudging into the lead?
    We should be told!

They've got a woman on their team, so we will never win.
    As far as I understand it she's Scottish so counts as 2 votes. But the Scots never win anything so it's all up for grabs.
  • Options

If you don't think that there are certain posters who consistantly spread negativity, then like VG said there's no point havin the conversation.

When posters like The Red Robin, Atletico Addick, lookie and airman (off the top of my head) post on certain threads, the chances are it will be one of the following negativity towards RD's changes, a conspiracy theory or a dig about RD in general.

I understand cautious approaches being taken, but some are ridiculous.

Unfortunately it is you, Greenie Junior, who has signed up to a conspiracy theory. Airman is big and ugly enough to defend himself, but I will tell you this. It was Airman who almost 30 years ago founded a fanzine that campaigned for the return to The Valley; Airman who served the club itself with hard work and integrity over many years; Airman who still today writes, edits and personally sells the most intelligent, eloquent, and insightful fans' magazine in the business.

Airman who got sacked by the club
    Airman who said he would fight the club
    Airman whose silence was bought
    Airman who started his mag again
    Airman who has little positive to say about anything

That Airman ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry for all the comments just catching up.....
  • Options
    Sorry for all the comments just catching up.....
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    is this the room for an argument ?
  • Options
    #missedit
  • Options
    edited June 2014

If you don't think that there are certain posters who consistantly spread negativity, then like VG said there's no point havin the conversation.

When posters like The Red Robin, Atletico Addick, lookie and airman (off the top of my head) post on certain threads, the chances are it will be one of the following negativity towards RD's changes, a conspiracy theory or a dig about RD in general.

I understand cautious approaches being taken, but some are ridiculous.

What the...? I've said nothing of the sort on here. You might want to review my various comments from the last week or so. They've been far from negative. You're the one going on a rant, no one else. What an odd thing to say.
  • Options

RD favoured Peeters over Riga. Fair enough and I don't think it's anything to do with us why. Did we query why Curbs, Dowie, Pardew, Parkinson, Lawrence etc etc were appointed over anyone else? No we didn't. Seems we are only doing so now because RD is in charge and some want to use that as a stick to beat RD over the head with.

We didn't query why those managers were appointed over anyone else? Really? Really?

People still post about why now and they certainly did then (if the internet was around).

Do you not remember the long debate about Gritt v Curbs?
  • Options
    Pardew was the one we queried the least, but we were desperate after the disaster that was Les Reid.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Do you not remember the long debate about Gritt v Curbs?

I do indeed - and I seem to recall that the consensus was that hitting curbs damages tyres more than driving on gritt, although I believe Greenie Junior held a contrary opinion. (speaking phonetically of course)
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Seriously - what planet are you people on?

You seriously expect an Owner/ Chairman/ CEO/ managing Director to publicly discuss why he appointed one candidate for a position over another? Really? Good luck with having anyone apply for one of your jobs.

What did you really expect him to say?

The suggestion is beyond ludicrous. He outlined why he chose Peeters - he believed he was the best person to successfully bring our younger players through to perform and succeed at playing in the Championship. He acknowledge Riga had comparative skills but felt Peeters offered more. That's it.

Anything beyond that is a huge discourtesy to the candidate you did not pick. What do you want him to do? Start to list all things Riga had cocked up at Standard Liege when he worked for him before?

Each candidate will have had discussions with the owner concerning their vision for the future and how they would contribute to it. We were not privy to such discussion. We had/ have no right to be privy to the detail of such discussions.

I suggest many people may well see the red mist from reading a fundamentally ignorant comment.

The suggestion that to recruit Peeters, an employed, contracted Head Coach of a professional Belgian club operating at the highest level in Belgium which will have involved paying compensation to his employers Wassland-Beveren for his contract will have been cheaper than recruiting an effectively unemployed coach sitting on his doorstep barely warrants a moments scrutiny - it is derogatory to the coach, to the owner and the club. The only thing cheap is the comment itself.

Nonsense. You are doing it again - telling us to shut up because those with the money know best.

You have got the dynamics all wrong. Professional football exists not for the club owners, the TV, the agents, nor even for the players themselves. It exists for us, the punters, who pay to get in. It is our perfect right to inquire, to dig and delve, and to express our critical opinions.

No-one with any sense expects the public utterances of Duchatelet and Peeters to be anything more than mere platitudes. Yet it amuses me that there are some Charlton fans who nod sagely at Duchatelet's tight rictus, admiring the cutting of cloth and the curtain-twitching prudence.

Balls. Utter balls. Football is there for us to admire: the close control, the incisive passes, advancing moves, quick cunning in attack - and the ball hitting the onion-bag. It is a heroic sport, diminished only by the low ambition of others. We pay for them all.

Just a couple of months ago we lost at home to Barnsley - who were soon relegated. We have Brentford away to start the new season; remember what happened at upstarts Bournemouth last August? Fans of clubs in the provinces are utterly mystified by our decline. Isn't it about bloody time we stamped some authority?

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Viewfinder. If you could just manage to give Charlton about £10M a season, I'm certain we could be up there. Thanks.
    Or would we ? Is that allowed under FFP ?