Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Duchatelet explains Peeters choice

Comments

• Options

I imagine guaranteeing your place in the division would be the pre-season aspiration for half the clubs in the Championship each summer so I'm not sure it is fair to criticise RD for saying it is Charlton's as well.

Makes sense to me - reach safety first and then push on from there.

It was always Curbs' mantra. Safety first and then build.
  • Options
    It has been said (can't remember who), that RD was reluctant to appoint JR, as he had already walked out on him once before (at SL).
  • Options

RD favoured Peeters over Riga. Fair enough and I don't think it's anything to do with us why. Did we query why Curbs, Dowie, Pardew, Parkinson, Lawrence etc etc were appointed over anyone else? No we didn't. Seems we are only doing so now because RD is in charge and some want to use that as a stick to beat RD over the head with.

We didn't query why those managers were appointed over anyone else? Really? Really?

People still post about why now and they certainly did then (if the internet was around).

Do you not remember the long debate about Gritt v Curbs?
    That debate was only long because the pigeons kept getting lost en route ;-)

• Options

It has been said (can't remember who), that RD was reluctant to appoint JR, as he had already walked out on him once before (at SL).

Should not have taken him on in March then.
  • Options

Yeah what a shit decision that turned out to be
    My answer was aimed at Duchatelet being reluctant to appoint him a second time, NOT questioning Riga or criticising in the least
  • Options

Riga joins Blackpool, so much for a theory he wanted to go back home etc for family reasons.

Riga should have been given the job, end of. F*** all the other comments/reasons/theories.

I thought it was RD allowed Riga to leave Leige whilst under contract for family reasons. Then, when we were in the brown stuff, RD approached Riga to come in short term to save us and Riga agreed as he felt he owed RD because of the Leige situation. Riga came in, saved us, returned to Milan whilst at the same time telling RD he wanted the job full time. RD though was worried that if he appointed Riga he might once again have a Leige situation on his hands halfway through the season, hence appointing Peeters.

Seems fair enough to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Greenie said:

We've all been asking for some time what RD's intentions and goals are for the club... obviously long term it's to get back to the PL... but yes I do think the owner should be attempting in public statements to inspire the fans, playing staff and potential new recruits that we're aiming for more than just fourth from bottom.

I said earlier that I found the press conference encouraging, and like I said in my post I think/hope that it's just the way he phrased it, but no, after the dire season we had last year I really hoped that our owner would come out with something more positive than "the main goal is to stay up".

People are too quick to jump down the throats of those perceived to be anti-RD. I'm not... I'm cautiously optimistic given news of potential signings... but yes ideally I would like our owner to be leading from the front with a rallying cry for what we *could* achieve - I don't think my suggested positive meaning is unrealistic for the club by any means. I'm not suggesting he should have said the goal was promotion, or even the play-offs.

Unfortunately some people on here get a whiff of an anti-RD post and the red (green) mist descends and the chance for rational discussion goes up in smoke.

Fair points made.
    I like what you did there, but you can understand why those who want to give our new structure time get pissed off at the constant negativity.
    But it isn't constant negativity. You and Vally Gary, Greenie Jnr and others keep saying that but it just isn't true.

There is a wide spectrum of views on here from RD is great and everything is fine at one extreame to RD is bad and can do nothing right at the other but the majority sit somewhere in the middle.

Hopeful and willing to see the positive aspects of RD reign so far and the potential for the future while at the same time seeing the negative aspects and appreciating the risks.

But it seems that we now live in some sort of fundamentalist state where not even the mildest criticism of BP and/or RD is allowed. Making a joke about BP looking like Karl Pilkington is slagging off RD, showing sympathy for a long serving member of staff made redundant is slagging off RD, etc etc, etc.

Weegie made a legitimate point that RD didn't really explain what BP had that JR didn't. Remember it was Riga she was talking about, not Powell. She didn't mention Powell at all.

RD even says himself that BPs virtue of playing the kids was also shared by Riga so the question is legitamate. Why Peeters and not Riga.

Asking that question is not "constant negativity" or "slagging off RD", it's a legitimate question that RD could easily answer and doesn't warrant the abuse she received.
    This. Don't quite understand why any mild criticism of RD etc is straight away given the 'get over Powell and stop discussing anything at all' treatment. I've criticised Roland a lot in the past, yet I thought Powell should've gone. Does this mean I'm an extra terrestrial? Should I adjust my views on Powell's sacking to suit the pro-RD agenda?
  • Options

I get the impression Peeters was first choice in January but RD couldn't get him then so Riga was a temporary solution.

I think that is a popular opinion, one that I agreed with.
  • Options

My answer was aimed at Duchatelet being reluctant to appoint him a second time, NOT questioning Riga or criticising in the least
    RD took JR on as a short term coach to keep us in the championship. It worked.

RD is reluctant to take him on full time for a year as he walked out on him at SL.
  • Options

Greenie said:

We've all been asking for some time what RD's intentions and goals are for the club... obviously long term it's to get back to the PL... but yes I do think the owner should be attempting in public statements to inspire the fans, playing staff and potential new recruits that we're aiming for more than just fourth from bottom.

I said earlier that I found the press conference encouraging, and like I said in my post I think/hope that it's just the way he phrased it, but no, after the dire season we had last year I really hoped that our owner would come out with something more positive than "the main goal is to stay up".

People are too quick to jump down the throats of those perceived to be anti-RD. I'm not... I'm cautiously optimistic given news of potential signings... but yes ideally I would like our owner to be leading from the front with a rallying cry for what we *could* achieve - I don't think my suggested positive meaning is unrealistic for the club by any means. I'm not suggesting he should have said the goal was promotion, or even the play-offs.

Unfortunately some people on here get a whiff of an anti-RD post and the red (green) mist descends and the chance for rational discussion goes up in smoke.

Fair points made.
    I like what you did there, but you can understand why those who want to give our new structure time get pissed off at the constant negativity.
    But it isn't constant negativity. You and Vally Gary, Greenie Jnr and others keep saying that but it just isn't true.

There is a wide spectrum of views on here from RD is great and everything is fine at one extreame to RD is bad and can do nothing right at the other but the majority sit somewhere in the middle.

Hopeful and willing to see the positive aspects of RD reign so far and the potential for the future while at the same time seeing the negative aspects and appreciating the risks.

But it seems that we now live in some sort of fundamentalist state where not even the mildest criticism of BP and/or RD is allowed. Making a joke about BP looking like Karl Pilkington is slagging off RD, showing sympathy for a long serving member of staff made redundant is slagging off RD, etc etc, etc.

Weegie made a legitimate point that RD didn't really explain what BP had that JR didn't. Remember it was Riga she was talking about, not Powell. She didn't mention Powell at all.

RD even says himself that BPs virtue of playing the kids was also shared by Riga so the question is legitamate. Why Peeters and not Riga.

Asking that question is not "constant negativity" or "slagging off RD", it's a legitimate question that RD could easily answer and doesn't warrant the abuse she received.
    This. Don't quite understand why any mild criticism of RD etc is straight away given the 'get over Powell and stop discussing anything at all' treatment. I've criticised Roland a lot in the past, yet I thought Powell should've gone. Does this mean I'm an extra terrestrial? Should I adjust my views on Powell's sacking to suit the pro-RD agenda?
    Forgot about Osama. 6-4.
  • Options

RD took JR on as a short term coach to keep us in the championship. It worked.

RD is reluctant to take him on full time for a year as he walked out on him at SL.
    Will be an interesting year seeing how it pans out of for both Blackpool and ourselves.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Fair points made.

Forgot about Osama. 6-4.
    Bollocks
  • Options
    Currently recruiting for the middle ground team, must have experience in changing your mind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vffvff
    edited June 2014
    Looking at this picture, Roland really does not look happy in having to explain himself.

I am seriously considering making this picture my screen saver. It will definitely make think twice about wasting too much time on the computer.
  • Options
  • Options
    Really like the look of what Peeters is saying , I feel that Burnley last season showed what a Fairly average , Low budget squad could achieve , Albeit with 1 or 2 quality players ( Ings, Trippier.) By no means am I saying we can hope for anything like Burnley this season , but the foundations are being strengthened without spending silly money , We can't argue that Roland is making us Financially more stable and Seemingly thinking long term , Looking forward to this season already , We could suprise a few ;)
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited June 2014

I have to say this constant raking over of what RD did or didn't say or mean (or BP, or KM etc) leaves me wanting to choke myself to death on my Belgium Chocolates.

Hercule Bingvanaddick

I guess there is worst ways to go, if you are going to go.
  • Options

I have to say this constant raking over of what RD did or didn't say or mean (or BP, or KM etc) leaves me wanting to choke myself to death on my Belgium Chocolates.

It's legitimate to question the plans but surely when they they are in place and visible. When signings good or bad are in actually kicking football's around wearing the Sword in Roundel on their shirts, and we see whether good ole Bob can make a team produce play that on balance is watchable and reasonably successful. Until then we have nothing of substance to go on. None of us had heard of the divine Jose Riga six months ago. Now he is canonised. Maybe BP will do even better?

Last season Burnley outperformed teams like QPR with much less resources both in the bank and on the pitch. Was that because the northern air was more invigorating than dahn sarf? Maybe it had something to do with the manager - in only his second job in that role being able to make more out of less? No one posting on here could have predicted with any reasonable certainty a few years back that Dyche would turn out to decent as a manager.

Perhaps good ole Bob might just be RD's ace in the pack. We have signed two excellent players in the last week and yes we need some more but hey - don't you think BP and RD know this? Is RD trying to scrimp and scrape like the last two jokers who ran the club did? No he is are not. Value for money, bringing young players on, investing in the playing surface, and re - energising the training ground development all looks and sounds pretty good to me. Streamlining the backroom staff and making great club servants redundant isn't nice for those affected but it is to be expected for a business that is losing millions of pounds a year.

In the end though what counts is how we perform from the gun to the finishing tape and no one can predict how that will go when the squad is being worked on, the Head Coach has only just got onto dry land and players haven't yet returned for pre season.

So before I end it all with death by chocolate - a plea - let's just see how things pan out - in pre - season, and during the course of the season before we pass judgement on RD's choice of Head Coach and his Belgio - centric transfer policy or the drafting in of toddlers into the first team?

If BP turns out to be a dud, or if Tin Tin and his freres Belgiques are vastly too lightweight for the Championship, then will I pass judgement - not till then. Remember the land of Chocolate, and Van Rompuy has produced players who would walk into the current England team so maybe they know a bit about coaching and stuff?

Hercule Bingvanaddick

I take your point but don't forget that Burnley received a huge boost from their single year in the Premiership where they - very cleverly - decided not to spunk the lot on overpriced stars but to build a very good young squad from the lower leagues best players.

It has worked out a treat for them - but they could not have done it without the multi-millions from that one season in the Premiership.
  • Options

Prague - No, I do not owe Weegie an apology. I can but suggest for you to try and drag in another contributors' personal CV is entirely inappropriate. I can assure you it is no ones' interest to descend into such a fatuous argument.

Nor is my response over the top. As I explained to Weegie someone please tell me exactly what you want the owner to tell you about the appointment of Peeters that is a ) not commercially sensitive b) subject to corporate confidentiality c) would not potentially undermine the working relationships within the club (his employees).

Perhaps you can tell me what you would expect him to say in public about selecting one candidate over another. Seriously tell me? Tell me what he can say that will not fall into the above categories or some general meaningless platitude any CEOs will fall back on without casting some negative connotation on the failed candidate?

You can hypothesize again if you must over why Riga "spun" his departure from Standard Liege, and hypothesize over Peeters being a cheaper option but once again it is speculation upon speculation upon speculation. I recognize the internet lives for such stuff no matter how spurious but just because you keep repeating it does not give it any greater veracity than when you hypothesized it in the first place - we are not dealing with some Buddhist chant to achieve greater enlightenment.

The comment expressed, however it was intended, was as described "ignorant of the facts". Your speculation is similarly ignorant of the facts.

I have repeatedly said I have absolutely no idea whether the Duchatelet approach will work - it may all end in tears.
    So no head in the sand - no RD "love in" from me - no blind acceptance everything in the garden is rosy - just an acknowledgement the club restructuring is a work in progress and is likely to remain so for a while yet.

I, like many others including his own son, am extremely critical of the man's communication skills - WHERE IT IS APPROPRIATE.

I do not see however why I or anyone else should accept such an unwarranted and inappropriate comment on a coach I have yet to see operate without reply.

I, unlike so many on here, many of whom should know better will not seek to denigrate a guy who has effectively ensured our ability to operate next season in the Championship. He paid in large part the debt incurred by the previous owners used to secure our promotion to, and retention of a Championship status. That was not "cheap" - unlike the sundry parties supposedly interested in the club but trying to drive the price ever lower.

I respect that the man owns the club I have supported for over 50yrs.

I respect the fact he is in position to provide the club some financial stability for the first time since the club empowered Dowie and Pardew to run amok. We have been trying to play catch up ever since

I respect the fact he is showing the intentions of exploring a successful SUSTAINABLE future for the club not just another 2 or 3yr roll of the dice.

I sincerely hope he and the team he assembles will be successful in their endeavours. Any success will be evident from the results on the pitch AND the financial results off the pitch NOT by what he says in a Press conference.

I respect all of that because the consequences of long term failure in EITHER department will not augur well for the future of our CLUB.

I do not for one moment delude myself as to the personal interests of the owner but it is a huge mistake to assume you understand anyone's motivation in business for doing anything. In owning a football club the motivation has to be even more obscure.

I can but leave you to consider the long term future for the club. Then consider a full profile of the man who owns the club, the ground, the training ground and the golden ticket. Against such considerations alone he has my full support in making us a successful organisation.

While I in no way question other peoples' support of the club isn't it strange that I find it somewhat isolating in declaring such support for my club on this board?

Top post and I stand with you 100%

• Options
    Weegie - do you know that Peeters was cheaper or was it a deliberate inflammatory statement knowing you were going to get a reaction? And that is a genuine question and not a wind up.

If you know for a fact that Peeters was cheaper then I apologize. If you didn't then you knew exactly what you were doing and I agree that it is getting a bit old.

I believe it is the latter but that's purely an intuition.