Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Duchatelet explains Peeters choice

Comments

• oh the negativity. If he was cheaper then so much the better eh? Meanwhile let's give Bob our full support. Ok he's not CP but he's the current Charlton Head Coach and I'm for one quite looking forward to next season.
  • Because he wanted to work with the youth players? That's a poor explanation. so did Riga if i remember rightly.

• Not much of an explanation - perhaps he forgets to mention that Peeters was cheaper?

Bet he is more expensive than poor old Jan though

• He speaks!
  • "The main goal is to stay up"

Wow

Depressing

I know that we have to be realistic but for the owner to come out and say that's the goal... well it doesn't really inspire does it..?

I hope what he meant was "the first goal is to stay up, and then see how high we can push up the table from there. With a mix of young talent and experienced players brought in from the network and elsewhere there's no reason why we shouldn't be aiming for the top half of the table"

At face value it reads like "Bob will play the kids and as long as we stay up then that's good business long term as we can sell them for a profit each year".
  • Not much of an explanation - perhaps he forgets to mention that Peeters was cheaper?

jesus - we know you won't be happy until Powell is reinstated
    Move on.

• edited June 2014

Not much of an explanation - perhaps he forgets to mention that Peeters was cheaper?

Here we Go - boring now.

"The main goal is to stay up"

Wow

Depressing

I know that we have to be realistic but for the owner to come out and say that's the goal... well it doesn't really inspire does it..?

I hope what he meant was "the first goal is to stay up, and then see how high we can push up the table from there. With a mix of young talent and experienced players brought in from the network and elsewhere there's no reason why we shouldn't be aiming for the top half of the table"

At face value it reads like "Bob will play the kids and as long as we stay up then that's good business long term as we can sell them for a profit each year".

And again. Is is really RD's job to 'inspire' you? I would say he's being honest. But then thats something else to moan about....!

At face value it reads like "Bob will play the kids and as long as we stay up then that's good business long term as we can sell them for a profit each year" - it does if your about to stick your head in the oven.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tbh what is a realistic goal for us with the current state of our squad? Main goal is to stay up but that doesn't exclude any of the other possibilities from 21st to 1st place.

I'll be delighted if we can avoid any form of relegation scrap and bring through some youngsters so that we can strengthen again next year and hopefully push on.
  • Ultimately whether or not Peeters is a good choice will be determined by the club's progress (or not).

In another way I believe he is an excellent choice already. He isn't known, he doesn't come with baggage, and most importantly he's not one of the gravy train managers who get a job, f**k it up, get sacked, get paid off and then turn up at another club on yet another stupid amount contract. Most of the posters on here who are calling for an experienced manager of the English leagues are actually making a case for serial cock-up artists.

It's no different to the CEO's of FTSE companies who do exactly the same btw!
  • We've all been asking for some time what RD's intentions and goals are for the club... obviously long term it's to get back to the PL... but yes I do think the owner should be attempting in public statements to inspire the fans, playing staff and potential new recruits that we're aiming for more than just fourth from bottom.

I said earlier that I found the press conference encouraging, and like I said in my post I think/hope that it's just the way he phrased it, but no, after the dire season we had last year I really hoped that our owner would come out with something more positive than "the main goal is to stay up".

People are too quick to jump down the throats of those perceived to be anti-RD. I'm not... I'm cautiously optimistic given news of potential signings... but yes ideally I would like our owner to be leading from the front with a rallying cry for what we *could* achieve - I don't think my suggested positive meaning is unrealistic for the club by any means. I'm not suggesting he should have said the goal was promotion, or even the play-offs.

Unfortunately some people on here get a whiff of an anti-RD post and the red (green) mist descends and the chance for rational discussion goes up in smoke.

Fair points made.
    I like what you did there, but you can understand why those who want to give our new structure time get pissed off at the constant negativity.
  • I wonder about the main goal being to stay up too. In the deal with the previous regime there was the £4 clause, now I know it is paid, and money invested on the pitch, and money elsewhere too so it is not so much the money regarding relegation it is the concept, the notion.
    RD is aware that relegation for Charlton Athletic could happen. I wonder if he is relaxed in an 'it's not the end of the world' kind of way providing that other stuff, most particularly adding value to youth and network players, is ticking along nicely?
    As a supporter attending matches results matter to me, yes I want our players to develop too, but I am contemplating next season hoping that we will be well clear of relegation worries and flirting with bigger and better things.
    Now I know a bit of realism, downplaying of expectations and so on is probably a good move, but to say we (just about?) hope to stay up is setting the bar a bit low when we eagerly anticipate a new season, it is also giving Bob a lot of leeway.
    I would have been happier, however empty words are, to hear something along the lines of we want to be competitive and challenging in this league, and that each game we go to will be a bit of an event because scoring goals and getting points will be what we thunder into town for.
    It might be a language thing, but the seeds of doubt about our ambitions are not fully swept away behind the door when we hear the main goal is to stay up.
    This is not supposed to be a negative rant, but an honest response to that reported comment.
  • edited June 2014

Not much of an explanation - perhaps he forgets to mention that Peeters was cheaper?

Please stop your moaning its getting boring now
  • As it stands, we are 9th in the table. Stay positive !!
  • Sponsored links:

• Whahahahaha....ha!!! he's coming to get ya!
  • If you don't think that there are certain posters who consistantly spread negativity, then like VG said there's no point havin the conversation.

When posters like The Red Robin, Atletico Addick, lookie and airman (off the top of my head) post on certain threads, the chances are it will be one of the following negativity towards RD's changes, a conspiracy theory or a dig about RD in general.

I understand cautious approaches being taken, but some are ridiculous.
  • FFS, Henry !

You're SO obsessed with the "bumpy road" phrase !!

Why don't you just come on here & say you're not happy with RD's pothole strategy !

:-)
  • If you don't think that there are certain posters who consistantly spread negativity, then like VG said there's no point havin the conversation.

When posters like The Red Robin, Atletico Addick, lookie and airman (off the top of my head) post on certain threads, the chances are it will be one of the following negativity towards RD's changes, a conspiracy theory or a dig about RD in general.

So that is four people.

So against that there is you, Greenie, Valley Gary and Yann896

Four all.

In between those 8 (eight) are the thousands of other posters who don't see the world as completely black or completely white. Who can see the good and the bad, the potential and risks.

So not the "constant negativity" that you speak of if it is four people of whom Weegie isn't one. But she gets the abuse. Doesn't seem right to me.

So that is four people.

So against that there is you, Greenie, Valley Gary and Yann896

Four all.

In between those 8 (eight) are the thousands of other posters who don't see the world as completely black or completely white. Who can see the good and the bad, the potential and risks.

So not the "constant negativity" that you speak of if it is four people of whom Weegie isn't one. But she gets the abuse. Doesn't seem right to me.

" Weegie is innocent ...OK !"