Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackpool 2013 Post-Match news and views

Comments

• Options
    JonnyK said:

LenGlover said:

Just one question. How the hell did harriott play the full 90 minutes and not get substituted?

Because he worked very hard off the ball pressing and stopping Ince at source.
    Whoops I must have been watching another game - CH playing at the top of the diamond whilst TI was out wide. But hey ho.
    Agreed but if you watched he was also supporting Wiggins by doubling up. He covered a lot of ground yesterday which is easy to overlook.

• Options
    Posting without reading above.
    Well, if you can't win don't lose. A clean sheet is a clean sheet. Same team twice in a row, two games in a week. Shame we couldn't nick it with an Obika-style substitution but there you go.
    In fact there was an air of honesty and truth about the game. Here was Blackpool, with their resources and a good start behind them, playing us with our bad start and the resources available. fairly reffed, and it was a routine draw. My feeling is that, with our injury list as it is, we can get better, Blackpool if they lose Ince or Fuller for a while may well take a step or two back.
    We can compete still in this league, even with our scant resources, but we really need to try to stack up some points to prove it. Blackburn and Wigan coming up are a formidable test, and we have to be realistic in our expectations, but be prepared to be positive and to work hard. If we make some small progress, and don't produce abject displays like Millwall, but displays like the attitude against Forest, then we can start to get into what may still be an interesting season.

Took a guest to their first ever game of football yesterday. Including explaining a lot as in how long it lasts! How many players on each side! What is a throw in, why are they needed? It was highly amusing and refreshing.
    There was:
    'being the goalkeeper sucks!'
    'is the manager the coach?'
    'will the mascots play?'
    'wow' (at a header clash)
    'why have a free kick?'
    'referees are great, they are all about the colourful red cards, yellow cards'

This was an 18 year old student just arrived to study in London, however she laughed a lot, especially when there were moments of keep ball, and a player was rushing from one to another to try to get it back...'like a cat chasing a string' she said. However she wants to come to the next game so for somebody at least yesterday was entertaining.

Also showed some Blackpool fans to the ground from the Standard. One a chemical engineer (!), the other two a PHD student in Physics at Cambridge (neutral), the other the girlfriend of the Blackpool supporting Canadian chemical engineer going to her first ever match, who was a PHD student in engineering at Cambridge. It was quite a pleasant way to begin the afternoon.
  • Options
    Nice post from SethPlum. Great to see your guest had a good time. Blackpool fans, I have found are a decent bunch. It was a good choice for a first game.

'and a player was rushing from one to another to try to get it back...'like a cat chasing a string', that perfectly describes a lot of Simon Church's runs at the goal keeper (and general intelligence of much of his running).
  • Options
    Sordell, although still poor looked more a part of the team. He did drop back and cover runners. He does seem to get a bit isolated from the rest of the team up front, when that happens he is away from the main play and receives a lot of passes which he has little chance of controlling. Same with Church or Piggott, high passes in the general direction at head height are pointless.

The general service to the front 2 is poor. (You could argue that there is not enough intelligent movement or running from the front two for the midfielders to go on. There is something in that).

Maybe Sordell, would be better at the point of the diamond or playing in the hole before the front two ? (If he is prepared to run about sufficiently). He would receive more to feet and is more difficult to knock off the ball than Callum Harriott. (Although Harriott did cover a lot of ground, which I don't think he got enough credit for so far).

He may also feel more part of the team and play and stop him getting isolated up front. I did see some promising work from Sordell in the midfield. He can also pick a pass to willing runners. Sordell can also turn and shoot well from just outside the penalty area, when there is space, the point of the diamond, may allow him to find that better, rather than a defender directly on his shoulder, when he is part of front 2.

Sordell may come good yet. I am still prepared for him to be able to prove himself in the team.
  • Options
    A Chinese student went to this game and posted some photos on Charlton's message board of a Chinese community website I often go to.Judging from the photos,he was sitting in the North Stand.What got me really concerned is that he got the ticket from his college for free.He said his college sent out a lot of free tickets for the game.I know the club is having difficulties to sell tickets but didn't know the situation was that bad???Or is that just a strategy to attract the next generation of supporters?
  • Options
    Harriet seemed to struggle when receiving the ball with back to goal. Usually he'll receive in wide positions where he has an extra split second to get it under control.

Felt Sordell put in more hard work yesterday, particularly when playing out on the right in he second half. Not sure why he trundled off like that though. Be good to see him with Yann who would fare very well in the passing football we played in the first 20 minutes.

Wood looks solid and helps Morrison play as he looks more comfortable as the second man rather than the one challenging all the time. That said I'm not sure he lost a header all day.

Puzzled with the substitutions yesterday but another point and more importantly, a clean sheet.
  • Options
    @JessieAddick The club give away comps for all home games, although normally for the East Stand, by the Jimmy Seed. They did say, I think, that they were reducing the number per match this season. Maybe they are revising that to keep attendance numbers up as every comp issued counts, even if not used, in the same way as ST's.

Regarding Sordells languid walk back to the bench, none of the management were indicating that he should speed up, so maybe they wanted to play out time. Whenever, in the past I have seen a player "do a Sordell" and the maangement were unhappy they would be screaming and gesticulating for the player to speed up.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

There was no need for the midfield diamond in this game. Blackpool play a variation on 4-4-2, normally orthodox, on this occasion 4-4-1-1, with Dobbie in behind Fuller. So it needed a balanced four man midfield.
    I've never been that impressed with Paul Ince as a coach, but he set his team up well and did a good job in nullifying our midfield. Bishop
    & Ince covered the space on the flanks to stop our full backs getting forward, and we had no width. Most of our build-up play was through the congested middle, was easily broken up and the forwards had little service.
    You know it ain't working when Gower, a defensive midfielder is going down the right wing to put in a cross. CP even switched to 4-1-4-1 after 35 mins, with Church on the right wing, Harriott on the left, and Sordell as the lone CF.
    In the second half, we finally went 4-4-2 after 55 mins, when Pritchard replaced Gower and we were marginally better. But we had wasted 55 mins getting there and Blackpool were relatively comfortable by then.

If we are going to play the diamond again, the best player in the team needs to play at the point, not an inexperienced left winger. Kermorgant in behind Church/Sordell at the point would work and provide a potent attack. A left footer needs to play on the left, and Stephens can play on the right. Gower ain't suited to the creative role on the right. Cousins was excellent again and was the only one of the four suited to his role in the diamond.

I like the idea of Kermorgant at the tip of a diamond. That means that we can have all three main goal striking threats on the pitch at the same time and also arguably our most creative player feeding two strikers. I can see a problem with him tracking back (he worries me with some of his "forward's" tackles) but on balance it would be worth a go in a team that has so few goals in it. If we could get Jackson on the left then we not only have a good Championship midfielder on the field but also another serious goal-threat.

The other way to do it, would be to play Kermorgant in a 3-5-2 as the most advanced in the 5 man midfield.

Personally I prefer the diamond option which seems to make our full-backs get back and cover rather than sit too high up the field. Let's get Jackson and Kermorgant fit over the next fortnight and give it a go.
  • Options
    Church is our new Paul Benson
    Can only score inside 6 yards
    Be it a deflection off the backside or sholder or a toe poke from 1yard.
    Cannot run hold up ball take on defenders etc
    No control
  • Options
    That said I did like benson and his goals per game ratio was actually good!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Kap10 thanks.I didn't know the attendance figure was calculated that way...Thought it was simply the number of people who showed up...
  • Options
    Our two strikers were lamentable and we could probably have played until midnight without scoring. That being so, we have to be content with a point against a solid Blackpool outfit. Cousins (especially) and Stephens both played well in midfield and Wood was excellent at the back. There is something to work with here, especially when we can get Yann back, although we are undoubtedly in for a season of struggle.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

@Kap10 thanks.I didn't know the attendance figure was calculated that way...Thought it was simply the number of people who showed up...

Another wheeze: whenever potential investors pitch up at The Valley - if ever they do - a few thousand is routinely added to the 'attendance', to impress. This is a far better strategy than losing heavily to Bristol Rovers, which is what we did the last time a bunch of loaded Kuwaitis were in town.

• Options
    Having read all the posts on here all I can say is that Kermogant will have to have the powers of Superman as everyone seems to think that once he's back in the team our striking problems will be over.

I have news for you.................THEY WONT,

I admit he will at least win some headers and will be able to hold the ball up & bring other players in, but, he wont score enough goals to keep us up. I've said on here before that Kermy is not a natural goalscorer and we need a 20 + man next to him. I think we all now agree that Church & Sordell couldn't score in a brothel and its 3 games and counting that neither have won a header. I'll hold my counsel with regard to Piggott as he is a novice and its not his fault he is out of his depth, but the sooner he is back with the U21's then so much the better for him.

Finally, the why Harriott is off form MAY have something to do with being left footed & playing on the right. It can't be so he can cut in & shoot because he didn't do that all game, so I can only assume that out coaching staff now more about wing play than Stanley Matthews & Ryan Giggs..................
  • Options
    Dull and boring game. Cousins was easily our best player but if the game was still going on I doubt we would have got a goal by now. God we need Yann and Solly if we are to survive this season.

By the way does anyone think Tom Ince is worth £12M?
  • Options

By the way does anyone think Tom Ince is worth £12M?

On the Jordan Cousins thread I quoted his worth as being touted as £8.5 m, elsewhere he is being quoted as £10 m and you have quoted £12 m ... whatever it is in reality its way too high, he has been touted for a number of years now as a great prospect , but for the moneys that are being quoted he should be running games like yesterday and he came no where near doing that. I think Liverpool releasing him got it right.
  • Options
    Finally, the why Harriott is off form MAY have something to do with being left footed & playing on the right. It can't be so he can cut in & shoot because he didn't do that all game, so I can only assume that out coaching staff now more about wing play than Stanley Matthews & Ryan Giggs..................

He isn't being played on the right. He is playing at the top of the diamond behind the front two. Not his natural position though.
  • Options

Having read all the posts on here all I can say is that Kermogant will have to have the powers of Superman as everyone seems to think that once he's back in the team our striking problems will be over.

I admit he will at least win some headers and will be able to hold the ball up & bring other players in, but, he wont score enough goals to keep us up. I've said on here before that Kermy is not a natural goalscorer and we need a 20 + man next to him. I think we all now agree that Church & Sordell couldn't score in a brothel and its 3 games and counting that neither have won a header. I'll hold my counsel with regard to Piggott as he is a novice and its not his fault he is out of his depth, but the sooner he is back with the U21's then so much the better for him.

Kermorgant is up there with the best strikers in the division. He may not be a 20 goal a season man, but he gets his share and is hugely influential.
    Harriott playing on the right? I though he was playing in the middle behind the front two for the most part....
  • Options

Kermorgant is up there with the best strikers in the division. He may not be a 20 goal a season man, but he gets his share and is hugely influential.
    Harriott playing on the right? I though he was playing in the middle behind the front two for the most part....
    Not even nearly
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Two teams who looked like they were happy with a draw.
    Watching today made me realise we really are going to struggle with Sordell or Church in the side.
    Sordell is a lazy bugger . He doesn't jump for the ball , he doesn't make any runs and when he does get the ball , falls over.
    Can't knock Church for his effort but I think he's just not good enough .
    Blackpool looked like scoring more than us but they were no great shakes either.

It's a shame we can't combine Church's effort with Sordell's quality - buy I guess that player wouldn't play for us if we could !
    I must be the only one who can't see Sordell's alleged quality.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He isn't being played on the right. He is playing at the top of the diamond behind the front two. Not his natural position though.

but he moves to the right when Stewart comes on.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Do find it odd that Stewart plays on the left as a right footer but that must be where he's at his best and so Harriott moves to the right to accomodate that. There's plenty of wingers that have been successful playing in that inverted wing role.

Gareth Bale and Cristiano Ronaldo are two top level wingers that are prime examples. I know Harriott isn't a Bale or Ronaldo but I'm not having it that he suddenly becomes useless once put on the right as he has enough tricks, turns and pace to make it work.
  • Options
    In his last season in the development squad Harriott played just behind the front 2 (2 out of Pigott, Azeez and Smith).
  • Options

we didn't play badly defensively but gower and harriot didn't look comfortable in the "diamond" and we didn't play to sordell and churchs strengths ...this may be because they don't have any ....

I thought it was a poor game the only consolation was that we didnt give up trying

• Options
    Didn't think the game was as bad as some have said, the atmosphere was decent (for Charlton) and we played some nice stuff in parts.

Took my 4 year old along and for the first time (think this was his 4th game) for the first time he was really getting into it, was shouting at the players, singing along with all the songs and asking me questions all the way through about the game. I stood him by the sinks after the game whilst I queued up and had a wee and all I could hear was this little voice singing 'Red army' over and over and all the way back to the car I had a rendition of 'Chrissy Powells red army'.

Was the most I've enjoyed being at a game, in a long time, seeing him enjoy himself. Got him a ticket for the Wigan game now.
  • Options
    I have a question ! When the teams came out, I spotted that Blackpool had 3 tall defenders across the back. It was immediately obvious that none of our named strikers would be likely to get a header in all afternoon. I soon realised that whenever Hamer got the ball he hoofed it high up the middle to the 3 tall guys for them to straight away send it back. By the second half, whenever Hamer had the ball I was muttering ' get ready centre backs ' and sure enough back it came. My question is, have I suddenly been given super powered eyesight so that I could see this happening, whilst Messrs Powell, Dyer, and Matthew on the side of the pitch could not see it ?
    What has happened to playing the ball out through our centre backs on the ground ? We could have brought Dervite on to make that easier. Certainly if anything other than hoofball is beyond the scope of our coaching team, then lets get Michael Smith back pronto in an attempt to give hoofball an end product. We were in my opinion subjected quite unneccessarily to a totally boring game, a real crowd decliner. To be honest, I think we deserve better, but I am not holding my breath.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

I have a question ! When the teams came out, I spotted that Blackpool had 3 tall defenders across the back. It was immediately obvious that none of our named strikers would be likely to get a header in all afternoon. I soon realised that whenever Hamer got the ball he hoofed it high up the middle to the 3 tall guys for them to straight away send it back. By the second half, whenever Hamer had the ball I was muttering ' get ready centre backs ' and sure enough back it came. My question is, have I suddenly been given super powered eyesight so that I could see this happening, whilst Messrs Powell, Dyer, and Matthew on the side of the pitch could not see it ?
    What has happened to playing the ball out through our centre backs on the ground ? We could have brought Dervite on to make that easier. Certainly if anything other than hoofball is beyond the scope of our coaching team, then lets get Michael Smith back pronto in an attempt to give hoofball an end product. We were in my opinion subjected quite unneccessarily to a totally boring game, a real crowd decliner. To be honest, I think we deserve better, but I am not holding my breath.

totally agree

• Options

Not even nearly
    No he isn't
  • Options
    Granpa said:

A lot of the time Blackpool were ready to push on the back four preventing a throw to feet. Also it seemed we were looking to win the second and third ball knowing it would come back of the center backs. Not ideal but Blackpool have to take some credit. Notts Forest droped off and allowed our back 4 to take the ball from Hamer.
  • Options
    @Grandpa. Agree with you about Smith. If we can't afford to get a loan for a target man then we won't lose much by giving Smith a go. Whether he is ready for this level is another thing, but he is the nearest thing to a target man out of the other strikers. Lets hope Kermy is back soon.