Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Blackpool 2013 Post-Match news and views

Comments

• WSSWSS
    edited October 2013
    Powell on loans: "At the moment it's not possible so I have to get on with what I have." #cafc
  • Well that was a game that almost got interesting.

Positives:-

We kept a clean sheet for the first time since November.
    Jordan Cousins, I felt played even better than Tuesday.
    We kept Fuller down to the odd trick outside the box.
    They failed to make Hamer make a save.
    Hamer looked assure in what he did.
  • Poor old Yann. The pressure on that striker when he has to come back from injury is huge. Be nice if someone else chipped in with a goal

........like Sordell!
  • Not a great game but we kept a clean sheet ...thought Stephens was excellent
  • Poor old Yann. The pressure on that striker when he has to come back from injury is huge. Be nice if someone else chipped in with a goal

........like Sordell!

Like on Tuesday?

• Sordell & Church are very poor if we don't get kermy back soon we will be in trouble.
  • Very disappointed after bright start, miffed at substitutions, Stewart for Harriot, Piggott for Church seemed so obvious it is frightning Powell couldn't see it. Harriott aka Callum Messi needs to get back to basics.
  • Gsme started well and both sides tried to play but it then went flat.
    0 - 0 was a fair result.

Another impressive didplay from Cousins while Stephens put in a fantastic shift defensively.

As other have said up front we are lacking. Not sure if it is that Sordell and Church are not a partnership or that just neither are good enough. How we miss Yann. At the end of last season we him Yann, Fuller, Haynes and Obika and all four were better options than what we had today.

Wood and Morro solid, Wiggins negated Ince jnr. Wilson made too many errors.

Harriot tried but just don't think that position suits him. Would have liked to seem more of Stewart in the centre.

Two weeks to get a few players fit or in on loan but we are improving.
  • I also do not understand this hit it long from Hammer to 2 forwards who couldn't win a Sunday league header.

Powell must see that with these 2 it is never going to work.

Very poor tactics.
  • edited October 2013
    Not counting Kermorgant as playing in the Burnley game as he came on in the 83rd... We have scored 2 goals in the 5 games without him.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2013
    Thought it wasnt a bad game that was unfortunately dominated by the Midfield - Felt it would have been harsh had either team got a win / goal and that 0-0 was a fair result.

Cousins and Stephens played well though felt the latter disappeared a bit when he started playing in the middle when Pritchard came on... Still much better than we've seen of him over recent months
  • Thought it was a good game. Both sides played some decent football. Had we had Yann playing or had Fuller suspect we could have won.

Special mention for Wiggins. Not been at his best this season but got the better of Ince.

Stevens also deserves a special mention - including some good defensive headers and a last second intervention late on when a goal looked certain.
  • Clean sheet but bit of a bore draw. Defence stood out, midfield were a bit lightweight, strike pairing was powder puff. Positives were Cousins looks mustard. One to forget today.
  • Kap10 said:

Eh? That can't be right can it?
  • I'm not sure Yann would have done much today, with the lack of service that the forwards were getting today.
  • I also do not understand this hit it long from Hammer to 2 forwards who couldn't win a Sunday league header.

Powell must see that with these 2 it is never going to work.

Very poor tactics.

Not sure what choice Hamer has when full backs are marked and one attacker splits our two centre backs.
  • a great improvement on the last game I saw which was at Turf Moor. the moves from defence to attack were more positive.
    Perhaps to improve we have to start with the defence and with Wood and Cousins we have a major improvement. Just need to sort the attacking midfield and the strikers.
  • Neither team deserved a winning goal and 0-0 was fair. There were plenty of loose balls in the Blackpool box but sadly no-one popped up in the right place at the right time to convert. We were solid at the back and more comfortable in possession than I've seen of late but it's difficult to see us scoring over 50 goals total this season the way things are going and that needs to be addressed.

Much team spirit to be encouraged by, though. I must've been watching a different game to others as I heard someone after the whistle saying to his mate: "Powell needs to go. That was absolute sh*t."
  • Kap10 said:

I'm not sure Yann would have done much today, with the lack of service that the forwards were getting today.

We'd have created more because he competes in the air, can hold up the ball and create chances for others. No combination of Church, Sordell and Pigott are going to make a dangerous partnership at this level.
  • The tactics were never to hit it long hoping Church and Sordell would win headers. The two up top made a nuisance of themselves, made the defenders misdirect their headers and the midfielders would pick up the second balls to gain territory in that way.

It worked in the most part, I thought.
  • Sponsored links:

• Poor game .desperately dull save for Cousins' shot saved low down at the near post and Wilson's panic inducing headed square ball late second half that might have gifted them a goal . Highlight of today: the fact that Theme from Great Cities by the Simple Minds seemed to be played right after the final whistle . I was so taken aback that anyone else Would know the recording let alone play it at a football match . Player mark 10 for whoever put that on
  • edited October 2013
    It was a bit of a bore fest. We looked lively at the start and played some lovely passing football for the first 15 mins with some nice triangles, but this disappeared. Support was good until the performance went flat.

Cousins, Wiggins and Hamer excellent. Stephens, Wood and Morrison good. Gower ok. Church, Harriott, Sordell and Wilson poor.

It's a point, we move on.

Their number 12, Bishop, annoyed the hell out of me. We had the ball just outside their box and he goes down clutching his head rolling around on the floor like he'd been shot. They managed to clear the ball and then he just jumped straight up!

Very pleased with Hamer today, assured. Pulled of a good save from a fuller header and generally commanded his area well, claiming crosses and corners. Defence looked happier with him aswell and I felt he communicated well with them ie screaming at them to let the ball run through. Better from him.
  • Fourth from bottom but might be worth remembering that we have played six of the current top eight in our ten matches. Our attack looks powder puff but with Yann back we can pick up points against the more average teams. I'm not panicking yet.
  • Posting without reading the others...

The best thing about today was keeping a clean sheet. The worst was never really looking like scoring ourselves. Hamer and the back four all played well and it was good to see Morro and Wiggo back to their usual high standards. Jordan Cousins and Dale Stephens again played well without quite hitting the heights of the Forest match. Neither was faultless but Jordan was again the all action box to box midfielder and Stevo put himself about again. Gower and Harriot were a bit off the pace but ok. Sordell again showed well when the ball was (all too seldomly) played to his feet but Church was a big disappointment. A willing runner but without ever looking dangerous and with a real powder puff shot. He really does need to learn how to get more power into his shots.

We started with the same kind of intensity we played with against Forest but it lasted only about 15 minutes and then, like the crowd, the team became a bit subdued. It's a shame, because I thought we were the better team for most of the game and the three points were there for the taking.

Can't wait for Yann to get back. Solly and Jacko might have to wait and fight for their place back but Yann should and I think will just walk straight back in. He is far and away our best striker and I just hope that CP plays him with Sordell, who I think will come good.
  • Not a game that will live long in the memory. Stephens had some good touches and cousins looks a class act. With some big clubs apparently looking at him already unfortunately it may not be too long until he's on his way. Front 2 very ineffective, church is at least willing but lacks quality. Sordell shows the odd touch but doesn't look interested much of the time. We are 21st at the moment and as things i'd be happy to take that at the end of the season.
  • Just can't see where the next goal is coming from
  • Kap10 said:

That's definitely not right.
  • se9addick said:

Kap10 said:

maybe at home?
  • Mike said:

se9addick said:

Kap10 said:

maybe at home?
    Home in the league might be right.
  • Just one question. How the hell did harriott play the full 90 minutes and not get substituted?