Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Blackpool 2013 Post-Match news and views

12346»

Comments

• Good points: we did not lose, Wood is a good defender who I think should stay in the team, Jordan cousins should stay in the team;Hamer and Stephens played well and Stephens deserve his place; Kermogant is sorely missed when doing the long ball AND when striking the ball at goal; Morrison played better and Wiggins too. Bad points: Sordell is not working hard enough though his game was not terrible; Church needs to keep the ball more and with his pace find space; Overall with all that inexperience I thought they did well and deserve encouragement. We made Blackpool look not very good and in spite of a draw that says a lot for the team's performance. With Kermogant back in the team and with all that pace surrounding him we will improve BUT it does always rely on Stephens and Jackson leading the midfield so that cousins and Pritchard can follow. I'm optimistic we can achieve mid-table and that, given our finances, is no bad thing.
  • Just lacked a bit of guile in the final 3rd, but that was the same for both teams. Harriott has to do a lot of work closing down both full backs if he plays behind the front two, which he has done well in the last two home games. It does mean however that when we don't have the ball he's expending a lot of energy and tires toward the last 20mins. I had hoped that Sordell may have been one of those forwards that really kicks into gear once he gets a goal, and he looked sharper than Church, but I was a bit annoyed how long he took to come off when subbed. Church had a poor game. I think he needs a quality player like Kermorgant alongside him, he certainly isn't going to lead the line. I won't fault the effort and application, and I thought Morrison and particularly Wood stood up to the threat of Fuller very well, and we got our clean sheet. Wiggins dealt with Ince well, but frustratingly his crossing was a little off at times. I would've liked Hughes to replace Gower rather than Pritchard, pushing Cousins further up the pitch, as I think Cousins can be both an attacking midfielder as well as a defensive one if given the chance. Worryingly, Millwall sat back and we really didn't have an answer, Blackpool were also solid, and we couldn't find a way through. Forest were a bit more open, which suited us. Seems that we always struggle against the teams that set a solid defensive outlook. I understand why Blackpool did it, because they probably thought with Ince and Fuller they have potential match winners, get a goal, then shut up shop. My only problem is if you look at Millwall, they've taken some right pastings this season, and I actually thought they were shit. However, we didn't get the result. If you look at some of our wins last season (Burnley A, Watford A, H'field A, Barnsley A), that was 12pts. This season that's 1pt. I'm sure we're going to get points from games we didn't do too well in last season like Forest, but I certainly consider Barnsley, H'field & Millwall as teams that will be lower half, definitely our 6 pointers as they say.
  • "This season that's 1pt. I'm sure we're going to get points from games we didn't do too well in last season like Forest, but I certainly consider Barnsley, H'field & Millwall as teams that will be lower half, definitely our 6 pointers as they say."

I know it's stating the bleeding obvious but we've already dropped 3 points to Terriers and Scum and 2 points at Dingles.
  • We drew at Watford and Barnsley so that is 2 points.
  • I'm a bit concerned , but not panicking about where we are in the table, I think if the fans keep backing the team ( and we get a few key players back) we'll string some back to back victories and race up the table ( well that's what I hope anyway! ).
  • I'm a bit concerned , but not panicking about where we are in the table, I think if the fans keep backing the team ( and we get a few key players back) we'll string some back to back victories and race up the table ( well that's what I hope anyway! ).

Would you put some cash on it as I suspect Paddy Powell would offer you some good odds m8
  • JonnyK said:

I'm a bit concerned , but not panicking about where we are in the table, I think if the fans keep backing the team ( and we get a few key players back) we'll string some back to back victories and race up the table ( well that's what I hope anyway! ).

Would you put some cash on it as I suspect Paddy Powell would offer you some good odds m8
    Yup. As Brian Cluff said- it is not worth looking at the table until November.

We are missing some good Championship players and when they are back we will be a better team, we have played several at the top, we have SCP at the helm, we are in the main supportive of our team and our manager (which counts for a lot in my opinion), and we have a good team ethic.

Put a shilling or two on yourself if I was you.
  • Redrobo said:

JonnyK said:

I'm a bit concerned , but not panicking about where we are in the table, I think if the fans keep backing the team ( and we get a few key players back) we'll string some back to back victories and race up the table ( well that's what I hope anyway! ).

We are missing some good Championship players and when they are back we will be a better team, we have played several at the top, we have SCP at the helm, we are in the main supportive of our team and our manager (which counts for a lot in my opinion), and we have a good team ethic.

Yep, most people haven't realised that we've played 6 of the top 8 in our opening ten fixtures. We'll be alright this season, it won't be pretty but we'll manage.
  • Redrobo said:

JonnyK said:

Yep, most people haven't realised that we've played 6 of the top 8 in our opening ten fixtures. We'll be alright this season, it won't be pretty but we'll manage.
    Not sold on that - complete lack of goals only 8 in 10 is shocking. I think only Yeovil have scored less. Kermo will not sort this problem, we just can't create chances.
  • cs1986 said:

Redrobo said:

JonnyK said:

Not sold on that - complete lack of goals only 8 in 10 is shocking. I think only Yeovil have scored less. Kermo will not sort this problem, we just can't create chances.
    I do not think that Kermit will score all the goals, but what he will do is bring in other players to score, hold the ball up, and win headers. Centre halves will know that they have been in a game and he will drag them out of position and create gaps. He will win free kicks.

I totally agree that we need more strike power. But we have what we have. I honestly believe that if Kermit had been fit we would have beaten Forrest and would probably 4 points better off than we are now. If he stays fit I think we can avoid relegation.
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

Just lacked a bit of guile in the final 3rd, but that was the same for both teams. Harriott has to do a lot of work closing down both full backs if he plays behind the front two, which he has done well in the last two home games. It does mean however that when we don't have the ball he's expending a lot of energy and tires toward the last 20mins. I had hoped that Sordell may have been one of those forwards that really kicks into gear once he gets a goal, and he looked sharper than Church, but I was a bit annoyed how long he took to come off when subbed. Church had a poor game. I think he needs a quality player like Kermorgant alongside him, he certainly isn't going to lead the line. I won't fault the effort and application, and I thought Morrison and particularly Wood stood up to the threat of Fuller very well, and we got our clean sheet. Wiggins dealt with Ince well, but frustratingly his crossing was a little off at times. I would've liked Hughes to replace Gower rather than Pritchard, pushing Cousins further up the pitch, as I think Cousins can be both an attacking midfielder as well as a defensive one if given the chance. Worryingly, Millwall sat back and we really didn't have an answer, Blackpool were also solid, and we couldn't find a way through. Forest were a bit more open, which suited us. Seems that we always struggle against the teams that set a solid defensive outlook. I understand why Blackpool did it, because they probably thought with Ince and Fuller they have potential match winners, get a goal, then shut up shop. My only problem is if you look at Millwall, they've taken some right pastings this season, and I actually thought they were shit. However, we didn't get the result. If you look at some of our wins last season (Burnley A, Watford A, H'field A, Barnsley A), that was 12pts. This season that's 1pt. I'm sure we're going to get points from games we didn't do too well in last season like Forest, but I certainly consider Barnsley, H'field & Millwall as teams that will be lower half, definitely our 6 pointers as they say.

The reason Millwall and Blackpool played the way they did and Leicester and Forest were more open is that Leicester and Forest are much better sides. They are side that come to win and Millwall and Balckpool's primary objective was not to lose!

A team that tries to beat us suits our game more than a team that tries to frustrate us. In these sort of games the difference is usually luck or a sharp striker or defensive errors. What is positive is that we have looked far more solid defensively - there have been times recently when we have looked like we could gift any team a goal - that is why so many poor sides have grabbed wins at the Valley. We are probably a top notch striker away from being a very strong side. With Kermogant we are certainly not worse than mid table!