Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Blackpool 2013 Post-Match news and views

Comments

• Good news: first clean sheet in ages.

Bad news: Can't score - one goal now in 360 mins (plus about 20 mins of added time).

Overall : valuable point. But still hard to see where next win will come from...

That's strange. I'm sure I saw Sordell score on Tuesday...
  • Good news: first clean sheet in ages.

Bad news: Can't score - one goal now in 360 mins (plus about 20 mins of added time).

Overall : valuable point. But still hard to see where next win will come from...

That's strange. I'm sure I saw Sordell score on Tuesday...
    is that not the one goal he is talking about?

• Plus points.

Clean sheet, Hamer actually stayed on his line a few times rather than rushing out and flapping, Cousins, Stephens, positive first half

Negative points.

Never looked like scoring, still no Yann, Gower, forwards didn't look like they actually wanted to score, poor second half, few options on bench.

Highlight of Match

Harriots twinkle toes beating two of their players then getting cocky with the 'teckers' and kicking it straight out with his wrong foot.
  • Scoham said:

Kap10 said:

I'm not sure Yann would have done much today, with the lack of service that the forwards were getting today.

We'd have created more because he competes in the air, can hold up the ball and create chances for others. No combination of Church, Sordell and Pigott are going to make a dangerous partnership at this level.
    I've not seen us play with Yann this season, except 45 mins in the rain. So I bow to your experience, however while he was playing the comments here were all about how we hoofing it up to him.

Personally I reckon he and Sordell have the potential to make a good partnership. Sodell in the two games I have seen him is not as bad or lazy as he is portrayed.
  • edited October 2013
    A bright start by both the Team and the crowd but then it all went flat. We looked comfortable at the back apart from a few 'hairy' Wilson moments.Wiggins was a standout. Midfield held firm with cousins but lacked any real quality going forward.Harriot got mugged on more than one occasion.

The front line however was woeful.Church ,for all his effort, is questionable as a striker.As someone said earlier he strikes a ball poorly,and I'm guessing past success stories in front of goal were probably off of his shin or shoulder?
    Sordell has no guile about his game.He anticipates nothing and displayed some qualities guaranteed to get him in the Covered end Boo boy hall of shame.
    I doubt the Blackpool back four will have an easier afternoon away from home.

2 points from 6 at home is not great by any stretch. Be a long walk out of the woods this year I think.
  • WSS said:

Oh for just a smidge in investment in the summer. We were decent up until 25 yards out.

Saw NSS at half time and he said that Callum was Lloyd Sam Mk.2 and I'm beginning to see that, end product is questionable.

We're doing better and looking stronger and more solid but are really lacking in creativity quality to unlock the chances.

Still, more positive than negatives but we need a win straight away post-international break.

Harriot is still very inexperienced. He is also playing in a different role to perhaps what he's used to. Personally think he is still a very exciting talent/prospect. The best players in this league are for me the ones who can run with/keep the ball, instinctively know where to be on the pitch and deliver a good pass - eg Ince, Reid, possibly Will Hughes.

I think/hope Harriot can still get better.
  • Yann back will improve us no doubt, we will win headers and with Stephens getting forward and JJ back I think we'll start scoring using the diamond formation.

International break comes at a good time for us

• jordan was immense. Hamer seemed like a bunny in headlights.

very mundane game. Fuller was impressive..tom ince less so. We will not score many playing like this..no one gambling on transitions..blackpool were even worse. Dale played alright apart from some key moments..thats just unlucky for the lad but something has to change. Cameron stewart is pure danger and as soon as yann starts he must also start. At this level..powelly is working with resources available but i have issues with some basics

dale is wasted in this team and its never going to work for either party like this.

sordell. Dont like to judge players.on 1 game but he was atrocious. Wtf flat footed non.entity.

callum harriott needs to improve some fundamentals. Trickery and guile eroded by.basic decision making errors. Deffo a player in there

jordan cousins i doff my cap. Sheer class son. But he wont save us on his own

solly jacko and yann its a different outfit. But is that good enough for the faithful...looking for those that.didnt play rather than.those that did.

yawnfest of a match. Great atmosphere tho and we are such a lovely club
  • Plus points were that Cousins looked class, Stephens is looking like a new man, morro and woods look solid and we are finally playing passing football. It is nearly even "sexy" at times. Bad points are that Wilson is beyond terrible and the team is lop sided when he plays, church is also awful and we lack any sort of cutting edge up top without yann. I think that a confident pairing of yann and sordell up top, Jackson in for gower and with solly on that right hand side we will be absolutely fine this year. Comfortable even
  • The problem up front is Church will put a shift in without really look like scoring.Sordell only came here because he hates living up north.Would like to see us get Obika back but he will only bang them in if we give him the service.Powells desperate to bring new faces in but he cant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sordell can at least control the ball hold it up and beat defenders of which church can do none of!
    To be fair all I've got to add it was an uneventful afternoon and and almost as bad as spending it at work!
    Note to myself- why did I give up a days work for this??
    There was plenty who did give it a miss .
  • A bright start by both the Team and the crowd but then it all went flat. We looked comfortable at the back apart from a few 'hairy' Wilson moments.Wiggins was a standout. Midfield held firm with cousins but lacked any real quality going forward.Harriot got mugged on more than one occasion.

The front line however was woeful.Church ,for all his effort, is questionable as a striker.As someone said earlier he strikes a ball poorly,and I'm guessing past success stories in front of goal were probably off of his shin or shoulder?
    Sordell has no guile about his game.He anticipates nothing and displayed some qualities guaranteed to get him in the Covered end Boo boy hall of shame.
    I doubt the Blackpool back four will have an easier afternoon away from home.

2 points from 6 at home is not great by any stretch. Be a long walk out of the woods this year I think.

Agree about Church, sadly. Even in the warm ups he kept missing when doing shooting practice at Alnick.

Think Marvin actually has shown some glimpses in last 2 games. Give him the ball to feet and he looks like he can hold it up. As others say, asking him to head it is a complete waste of time.
  • vffvff
    edited October 2013
    First clean sheet for a age. Hamer looks a bit low on confidence. Needs support as he has some good shot stopping qualities close in as a keeper. Woods was good and Morrisson looked happier with Woods there.

Cousins was great and really improves the midfield. He helps provide protection for the back four and helps to solidify the defence. Looking forward to see him play more. Because he is doing the essential sweeper type role he allows Stephens to play further forward and concentrate more on his passing. Should be Cousins + in midfield.

Wilson and Wiggins were OK bar Wilson's mistake near end that let Ince in.

Front 2 got little service, need passing to feet. Sordell looked happier and more part of the team. I understand that Harriots has played in the hole behind the front 2 in U21 but was too easily muscled off the ball. He may get it eventually. He worked hard.

A bit disappointed with the quality of crossing and final ball.

• Covered End gave great, loud and solid support, particularly good in the second half when the team needed it. Ref let the game flow, wasn't perfect but a better ref than most you see.

Good to see warm reception for Ricardo Fuller. Blackpool were decent and looked solid and more threatening than we did.

Happy with the point. Will look forward to the return of KMG

The team created enough promising situations in the approach play that with KMG back that we will score goals and get a couple of wins to lift us into mid table, then the world and Champs table will look a bit better.
  • Posting without reading.

The game was not a classic by any means. I can only remember Hamer making one save worthy of the name and it was a good one, a two handed catch diving to his left although it was a decent height.Our two shots on target for Matt Gilks generated a decent save from Cousins tipping the ball from the post low to his lift. Our other shot on target came from Church and it is no exaggeration to say that my sixteen month old grandson could have hit it more powerfully and had Gilks left it it probably wouldn't have had the "legs" to reach the goal!

Very hard to pick out individuals today. My inclination is to give them all 6 on the marks. None of them performed particularly well yet, despite being out of sorts, on the positive side nobody hid either and battled away so that the teams effectively cancelled each other out.

Being Charlton though it didn't feel like that at the game and there was always that nagging fear that Blackpool could nick one whereas I didn't "feel" any danger coming from us.

At the end of the day though a point is a point against one of the better teams in the division whilst a number of our first choice side on paper are missing.

Well done SCP and the lads.
  • Positives :

We've extended our unbeaten run to two matches.
    First clean sheet of the season.
    Another point gained.
    Jordan Cousins.

International break coming up to hopefully clear up injuries & work on set pieces / general play.

Negatives :

We desperately need a 3 points win
    Yann , Solly & Jackson still injured.
    Callum Harriott seems to have gone right off the boil.
  • I am developing a man crush on Wood. Yet another great display today and making a good partnership with Morrison too.
  • Was very impressed with Cousins, having missed the Forest game - for the most inexperienced of our starting 11 he looked like the oldest head on the pitch. Calm and kept it simple when needed, played some lovely not so simple passes, and spent a good amount of time telling other more senior players what to do.

Thought Hamer looked better - not TOO much to deal with, but thought he dealt with those bastard long throws very well.

Wiggins not quite back to his old self attacking wise, but once again Tom Ince turned up at the Valley and I didn't notice.

Game was crying out for Yann - Church and Sordell reminded me of watching David Whyte and Bradley Allen trying to play together.

• edited October 2013
    just got back, cousins best player on the pitch in my opinion, wiggins looking like his found a bit of form again.

Both Harriott and Sordell were so poor! God knows how harriott lasted the full 90 minutes.

Today showed how much we miss kermorgant, our aimless hoof balls were being given to players who can't win a header, sometimes even aiming it at harriott! The smallest player on the pitch!

Quick mention to the bloke who sits in the lower west stand behind the away dugouts about half way up, if you're reading this you're a massive bell, he was more worried about getting the blackpool team in their coaching area than watching the game.
  • edited October 2013
    Church has had sponge implants on his feet , powder puff of the highest order.
    Cousins looked assured first half but I thought he made a few sloppy passes 2nd half
    Dale was defensively impressive and even won a towering centre halves style header in the 2nd half
    I'd like Callum to get a brain and then the potential decent player might arrive , otherwise he'll be part of the reason we go down.
    I think Sordell has some ability and Yann will hopefully get a chance to bring it out of him.
    For such a dull game I thought both sets of supporters done well to create an atmosphere.
    The teams above are slowly pulling away and creating a gap , we need wins

0% Top half .......... 60% 13th-21st ........ 40% Third tier footy next season
  • Sponsored links:

• Quick mention to the bloke who sits in the lower west stand behind the away dugouts about half way up, if you're reading this you're a massive bell, he was more worried about getting the blackpool team in their coaching area than watching the game.

I sat near that fruit , wtf was that all about
    I presume there is a rule that only one member of the coaching staff is allowed in the coaching area at one time
    He was a proper bore about it
  • If your reading this your a massive bell.

ding dong.
  • Think most of the posts summed up the game and our prospects very well - the quality of our 4 strikers (Yann excluded) compared to last term is terrifying!

But I have to add that I just can't understand why when in terms of our wage bill we are in the land of want and famine we have burnt a years salary on Mark Gower??? I'm sure he's a really good bloke. I'm sure a year or three ago he was very tidy and greatly improved the ball retention of the teams he played for.

BUT his legs are clearly gone and he just doesn't have the physicality to execute on the football pitch in tier 3. His lack of speed and movement means that we just cannot even consider pressing the opposition gift up the pitch which results in the midfield and the defence dropping off too deep.

It also means that in the current diamond formation that we cannot ever get to the bi-line on the right hand side as Willo is concerned that he will lack cover if he bombs past MG.

This is no way a personal attack on a man who I have no doubt is a real honest pro but to my mind CP has blown a part of a tight budget on a player who should be moving on an impressive playing career to coaching youngsters as to the importance of pass and move. He can still pass but (very) sadly he ain't so good at the moving bit. On this I'm an expert as my moving days ended many, many years ago ;-))
  • Tedious.
    Defence all did well.
    Stephens and Cousins good.
    Absolutely powder puff front two. Somebody on here said that Kermo would haven't made much difference - WTF.

On balance probably not a bad result with 4 of our very best players missing.

• Quick mention to the bloke who sits in the lower west stand behind the away dugouts about half way up, if you're reading this you're a massive bell, he was more worried about getting the blackpool team in their coaching area than watching the game.

I sat near that fruit , wtf was that all about
    I presume there is a rule that only one member of the coaching staff is allowed in the coaching area at one time
    He was a proper bore about it

I think the rule is only one person in the technical area and not allowed to step[ out of it but its an ignored rule.
  • Thought Gower had a reasonable game and got up and down the pitch pretty well. Have started noticing him and Sordell for their positive contributions these past 2 games.
  • Thought we played some good football, Cousins, Stephens and Gower worked well Harriott had a poor game, his touch deserted him. Defence was decent although Blackpool offered little. Up front though as others said not good enough for this league, bit of huff and puff but little meaningful movement, their defenders had n easy day. Cousins and Stephens best players on the pitch today, barley noticed Ince. Unless we get at least 1 decent striker in on loan we are gonna struggle to win many games if we rely so heavily on Yann.
  • There was no need for the midfield diamond in this game. Blackpool play a variation on 4-4-2, normally orthodox, on this occasion 4-4-1-1, with Dobbie in behind Fuller. So it needed a balanced four man midfield.
    I've never been that impressed with Paul Ince as a coach, but he set his team up well and did a good job in nullifying our midfield. Bishop
    & Ince covered the space on the flanks to stop our full backs getting forward, and we had no width. Most of our build-up play was through the congested middle, was easily broken up and the forwards had little service.
    You know it ain't working when Gower, a defensive midfielder is going down the right wing to put in a cross. CP even switched to 4-1-4-1 after 35 mins, with Church on the right wing, Harriott on the left, and Sordell as the lone CF.
    In the second half, we finally went 4-4-2 after 55 mins, when Pritchard replaced Gower and we were marginally better. But we had wasted 55 mins getting there and Blackpool were relatively comfortable by then.

If we are going to play the diamond again, the best player in the team needs to play at the point, not an inexperienced left winger. Kermorgant in behind Church/Sordell at the point would work and provide a potent attack. A left footer needs to play on the left, and Stephens can play on the right. Gower ain't suited to the creative role on the right. Cousins was excellent again and was the only one of the four suited to his role in the diamond.

• Just one question. How the hell did harriott play the full 90 minutes and not get substituted?

It puzzled, sorry mis-spelt pissed off me.