Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Blackpool 2013 Post-Match news and views

Comments

• Options
    Tut Tut......in my opinion, Stewart could have wreaked havoc in the tip of the diamond role. He knows when to have a pop which the others weren't doing today for some reason.
  • Options
    I like Callum but hopefully he realised today that he can't twist and turn 5 senior pros in the penalty box as he probably can playing Fifa on the Xbox.
  • Options
    Boring but satisfactory point. Much preferable to an end to end thriller full of chances and odd decisions that we end up losing! If Kermo, Yann and Solly are all fit and phased back into that eleven I can't see us being relegation fodder - though hanging around in the lower half of the table is the best we can hope for.

Also, saw absolutely nothing to justify some of the hype I've seen about Ince Jr. I'm not saying he's bad, but 10 mill!? That's a joke, and not a very good one. If you want to see a proper creative midfielder running things for a decent team, cast your memories back to Tuesday night. Reid is far better than Ince, and with only one foot!
  • Options

Just one question. How the hell did harriott play the full 90 minutes and not get substituted?

Because he worked very hard off the ball pressing and stopping Ince at source.
  • Options
    Dreadful...end off
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Reid is far better than Ince, and with only one foot!

Definitely
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Just one question. How the hell did harriott play the full 90 minutes and not get substituted?

Sorry Len not havin that a bad day at the office
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Sorry Len not havin that a bad day at the office
    I agree with you that he wasn't great on the ball today but I answered the question as asked.
  • Options
    First half we looked pretty good, and after the break Blackpool were fired up but both teams faded away into mediocrity and looked happy with a point.
    Not a bad game though, both teams showed some neat touches. Good ref. Good fans.
  • Options
    Young Ince has a lot to learn, but probably thinks he doesn't. He saw a young midfield player today who will be a far better player. Miserable game with strikers feeding off scraps. Will be a long hard winter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yaaaaawn! All those misplaced passes and over-hit crosses, the lack of close control: what a bloody bore. We played with a bit more fluidity than against Boro and Millwall, but not much. As the home team, the onus is on us to light a spark, to raise the tempo, to get into dangerous areas and disturb opposing defences. We are incapable: Sordell is hugely disappointing and Harriott is a liability, stumbling over the ball like a toddler and conceding possession. Gower and Pritchard - who are these ineffective men? Forest on Tuesday and Blackpool today were satisfied with a draw. Don't rely on our injured players coming back to save us - we were desperately poor with a fully fit squad earlier in the season. We are a quarter of the way through this campaign: extrapolate one win from ten games and you get four in forty - unless there are seismic changes, we are heading for relegation.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Whoops I must have been watching another game - CH playing at the top of the diamond whilst TI was out wide. But hey ho.
  • Options
    Wow, surprised at some of the comments. I thought we passed the ball better than we have all year and also pressed off the ball better. We held possession and used the width.

Shame we didn't test their keeper much but really that's to be expected with Kermogant out. Sadly, Sordell and Church need to play alongside a target man really to be classed as remotely dangerous.
  • Options
    Totally different game to Tuesday night and agree with most comments. I also agree with Danny Addick that Charlton passed the ball OK. Good in defence today and with a bit more quality Charlton could have nicked it. However, the crosses were dreadful; the forwards didn't do any running off the ball and failed to get into any decent positions. They also didn't want to get stuck in where it mattered. Church and Sordell must learn to hold the ball up and lay it off before being tackled; it surely can't be that hard! Fair play to CSP for trying different tactics during the match but what does he see in Pritchard? He isn't going to create anything when we're trying to win the game. Pritchard was good at the end of last season, but this year he's looked weak and less than satisfactory.
  • Options
    No Covered End - they need to be coached by the coaches whose job it is to improve the technique and tactical awareness of our players. If they can't it begs the question as to why we signed them in the first place.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

Scoham said:

Kap10 said:

I'm not sure Yann would have done much today, with the lack of service that the forwards were getting today.

We'd have created more because he competes in the air, can hold up the ball and create chances for others. No combination of Church, Sordell and Pigott are going to make a dangerous partnership at this level.
    I've not seen us play with Yann this season, except 45 mins in the rain. So I bow to your experience, however while he was playing the comments here were all about how we hoofing it up to him.

Personally I reckon he and Sordell have the potential to make a good partnership. Sodell in the two games I have seen him is not as bad or lazy as he is portrayed.
    Sordell is the laziest sack of shit to pull on a red shirt in years - a sad waste of a budget
  • Options

Thought Gower had a reasonable game and got up and down the pitch pretty well. Have started noticing him and Sordell for their positive contributions these past 2 games.

Maybe Tuesday - not today
  • Options
    More than a bit rude Andy. What specifically did Sordell do to upset you today?
  • Options

Wow, surprised at some of the comments. I thought we passed the ball better than we have all year and also pressed off the ball better. We held possession and used the width.

Shame we didn't test their keeper much but really that's to be expected with Kermogant out. Sadly, Sordell and Church need to play alongside a target man really to be classed as remotely dangerous.

Very good summary IMHO. Describes the game as I saw it today.
  • Options
    At least we've shown a bit of tactical variety this week. Blackpool would appear to have just one tactic, although it seems to be working. Get on the weights Rhoys
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    some of us seem to be comparing church to tye legend that is garry nelson!! i know who i would rather have in the team right now!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    also i agree with everything viewfinder said he's spot on! and also bolton have bought in 3 good loan players danns ,feeney and mcnaughton and were stuck with shite like sordell
  • Options
    Thought we played well, centre backs were as solid as they have been all season, Cousins and Stephens both defended and passed well even if the killer ball was sometimes lacking but we are desperately missing a striker with pace , movement and finishing ability.

Much better than some of the the dross we have seen earlier in the season and Chris has quite rightly set them up to be tighter defensively, that would have been two clean sheets against top sides without Hamers howler on Tuesday

Work in progress but if JJ comes back in replace of Gower and Yann is at least on the bench for the next game we will continue to improve
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Blackpool played pretty much as I expected them too. They were solid and the first directive was a point and see what else came their way. I can't blame Powell - understandable that he set up as he did given the performance on Tuesday, but I said in my pre-match comments - I was worried about our strikeforce, without Yann, against this sort of team. He made the changes I would have done too - just 5 minutes or so later!

A turgid game then with both defences on top. The positives are that apart from a flukey free kick - the defence has done it's job in the last 2 games and Cousins has announced he is in the team to stay (well until we sell him). The negative is that we are punchless up front. It is a bit frustrating as if this area was stronger you can see we would be very competitive in this league!

I find that very frustrating personally - we dearly need new owners. There is a window of opportunity for a buyer as investment in a couple of players would see us as one of the best teams in the division and it is clear in what areas they are needed - but I doubt any are that knowledgable about football!
  • Options

More than a bit rude Andy. What specifically did Sordell do to upset you today?

He just didn't do anything - didn't compete for headers, no link up play, bad body language - as a striker, he is not what we need - I hope he proves me wrong... But I doubt he will. I think BWP would offer more!
  • Options
    Now that's an interesting observation Andy. I do recall BWP winning a header or two and I also recall that he had reasonable movement that the midfield could work with. His problem was with his finishing when 'one on one' with the keeper.

By comparison Not so Marvellous Marvin never wins a header and seldom makes any worthwhile runs for the midfield and is very much part of the problem not part of the solution.

Yes very rude Andrew - how about as mobile as Nelson on his column in Traf Square! Apologies to fans of Garry I mean the veritable Sea Lord ;-))
  • Options
    These things take time, but Judging by his attitude, we're wasting our time with this guy. CP needs to tell him either he shows some sign he wants to win, or he gets shown the door. We have'nt the Budget for passengers.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Agree that's how I saw it.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    no one is coming over shooters hill with sack loads of dosh. CP said yesterday "Loans are not an option" so we have what we have and make do. Bolton got ride of SodAll because they have better and think he cant do it at this level---CP got him as he is better than what we have or cant afford ANYTHING better.

I wouldnt be surprised if Solly is being "protected" as the owners aint really fused in geting him back asap so long as he gets back in time to show what he can do in the shop window. Sold in Jan ---QPR for peanuts ---less than £1.5 million.

• Options
    + Side: Unbeaten against Leicester, Forest, Watford & Blackpool (3rd-6th in Championship).
    - Side: Ended up with a youngster as our only forward on the pitch yesterday.