Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mark Goldbridge working with the club?

Comments

• As a bit of a barometer on impact, as covered above yesterday, I told my 17 year old that Goldbridge would be at the Bolton game (bearing in mind that we will still be away). His response was “Seriously, that’s amazing, but we’re going to miss it…”.

I had the displeasure of attending Sidemen vs YouTube All Stars at a packed Valley a couple of seasons ago with him. The teens were going batshit seeing their fave social media ‘icons’ try to play football, a lad called KSI was quite good in fairness, but just to repeat, this is the target audience this publicity is aimed at, nothing more, nothing less. It should work, as the sheep will follow the shepherd…!
  • I'm aware of this guy's work, mainly because my eldest used to watch on YouTube. You can take the piss out of him, but I think he's actually quite a clever chap and was the forerunner for many YouTubers that followed...all those guys who film themselves watching footy clips or selecting FIFA cards. Good luck to him and if it brings us to the attention of a younger audience then why not?
  • YTS1978 said:
    I'm aware of this guy's work, mainly because my eldest used to watch on YouTube. You can take the piss out of him, but I think he's actually quite a clever chap and was the forerunner for many YouTubers that followed...all those guys who film themselves watching footy clips or selecting FIFA cards. Good luck to him and if it brings us to the attention of a younger audience then why not?
    I feel like online, if you start doing well/gaining traction, no matter who you are, you're gonna get stick.

Just the way it is. As another example, that Alex Griffin bloke at Ipswich. I find him completely harmless, think his vlogs are good quality and he has said recently people have been giving him grief at games etc. I've also seen Ipswich fans on social media saying 'they don't claim him' and some of them celebrating when he was allegedly given a bit of stick.

Pieface is another, but a bit more popular. Just makes fun of himself but has set himself a bit of a target now when he goes to Plymouth games away.

Fair play to anyone who can get out of the rat race that is life by making online content. As long as you aren't doing completely horrible sh*t like Logan Paul recording that dead body, all the power to ya.
    Even though I don't Goldbridge I couldn't agree more with this, its not "easy" work either, something you'll equally be aware of - Am sure the general conception of anyone who vlogs is they rock up to whatever location they're filming, talk to the Camera and that's it done.
  • Barry Higson, our Head of Sales, has posted about this on his LinkedIn. I've left a polite comment about how some sponsorship has fallen by the wayside, it seems (re the Swedish Addicks debacle):

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/barry-higson-550a5b2a_charltonbridge-charltonathletic-markgoldbridge-activity-7232038169397862400-NJwz?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop 
  • Valley11 said:
    Tik Tok makes me feel old. I’m 47 and just don’t get it at all. My kids love it but appears to be a bunch of never-heard-ofs being irritatingly bland, untalented and unfunny - with a few sound effects and GFX thrown in to disguise the fact. 

And I completely realise this makes me sound like my dad complaining that you can’t understand the words of songs on Top of the Pops / struggling to work the video recorder. 

Full circle. 

• YTS1978 said:
    I'm aware of this guy's work, mainly because my eldest used to watch on YouTube. You can take the piss out of him, but I think he's actually quite a clever chap and was the forerunner for many YouTubers that followed...all those guys who film themselves watching footy clips or selecting FIFA cards. Good luck to him and if it brings us to the attention of a younger audience then why not?
    I feel like online, if you start doing well/gaining traction, no matter who you are, you're gonna get stick.

Just the way it is. As another example, that Alex Griffin bloke at Ipswich. I find him completely harmless, think his vlogs are good quality and he has said recently people have been giving him grief at games etc. I've also seen Ipswich fans on social media saying 'they don't claim him' and some of them celebrating when he was allegedly given a bit of stick.

Pieface is another, but a bit more popular. Just makes fun of himself but has set himself a bit of a target now when he goes to Plymouth games away.

Fair play to anyone who can get out of the rat race that is life by making online content. As long as you aren't doing completely horrible sh*t like Logan Paul recording that dead body, all the power to ya.
    Even though I don't Goldbridge I couldn't agree more with this, its not "easy" work either, something you'll equally be aware of - Am sure the general conception of anyone who vlogs is they rock up to whatever location they're filming, talk to the Camera and that's it done.
    I think generally speaking, the more successful you are, the easier it gets. I can only imagine how much of a privilege it would be to do this as an actual job. You could hire an editor, you get more opportunities, and of course, with it being a job, you get a lot more time to edit yourself and think of ideas. 

I work full time and it's a bit of an expensive hobby, and a lot of time editing. Sometimes I rush it as I want to get a video out sooner, just to get some decent traction, so I'm trying to find a way around this atm. I feel like there must be a lot of pressure on these big youtubers as their livelihood depends on getting views etc, I always have my job.

Anyone in those positions though has earned it, editing videos etc and just trying to be shameless and getting yourself on camera isn't easy, and a certain stigma comes with it. It's why I sympathise with them a bit, but all in all, once you make it, you're working a very fortunate job tbh. 
  • Sponsored links:

• https://www.youtube.com/live/MlSu1DM2WLA?si=k9Et33Nwc2Tr2DSe

He’s streaming atm - 6,000 people are watching him watch Aston Villa v Arsenal
  • https://www.youtube.com/live/MlSu1DM2WLA?si=k9Et33Nwc2Tr2DSe

I thought, "that can't be right", so clicked on the link. 

Some bloke sitting there in silence for long periods watching a telly - but you can't see what he's watching.

I mean, if that's how people want to spend their time ...... 
  • Off_it said:
    https://www.youtube.com/live/MlSu1DM2WLA?si=k9Et33Nwc2Tr2DSe

Some bloke sitting there in silence for long periods watching a telly - but you can't see what he's watching.

6,001 then :-)
    For about a minute. 
  • YTS1978 said:

I think generally speaking, the more successful you are, the easier it gets. I can only imagine how much of a privilege it would be to do this as an actual job. You could hire an editor, you get more opportunities, and of course, with it being a job, you get a lot more time to edit yourself and think of ideas. 

I work full time and it's a bit of an expensive hobby, and a lot of time editing. Sometimes I rush it as I want to get a video out sooner, just to get some decent traction, so I'm trying to find a way around this atm. I feel like there must be a lot of pressure on these big youtubers as their livelihood depends on getting views etc, I always have my job.

Anyone in those positions though has earned it, editing videos etc and just trying to be shameless and getting yourself on camera isn't easy, and a certain stigma comes with it. It's why I sympathise with them a bit, but all in all, once you make it, you're working a very fortunate job tbh. 
    If your "job" is to constantly seek attention and adulation ("look at me", "like me") whilst saying whatever's on your mind then I don't think you can really complain when people do look at you, don't "like" you and then say whatever's on their mind.

All this over the top abuse is clearly wrong, but there's always idiots out there who take things too far.
  • Commercially, this is a huge step from the club. Like him or not, Goldbridge is a big ticket item that will raise awareness and grow the digital audience of our club. 
    This. As the saying goes any publicity is good publicity. While some may not like him he does have a fairly large audience who may begin to take note or follow this guy in supporting us as a “ lower league club”  while not everyone’s cup of tea it may bring in future fans or interest 
  • Does he actually have fans, or is it just people wanting to see United lose so he can have a rant?
  • I do find having a dig at people doing that whilst talking to 'ValleyGary' & 'RodneyCharltonTrotter' online about your favourite biscuits quite funny.
    Custard cream or an orange club
  • Sponsored links:

• Attendance was one thousand down on last Saturday.

Barry Higson’s ldea with Goldbridge is maybe a long term thing.
  • Off_it said:
    https://www.youtube.com/live/MlSu1DM2WLA?si=k9Et33Nwc2Tr2DSe

I guess a lot of people who do that (particularly for the United games he covers) probably watch the game on tv with the sound off, and listen to him on their phone/computer/laptop etc.

If you're just watching him only and not the game itself then i agree it's a bit weird.
  • We were joking about the face of the club being Jim Davidson or someone else shit, but they actually managed to find someone else even less funny
  • sam3110 said:
    We were joking about the face of the club being Jim Davidson or someone else shit, but they actually managed to find someone else even less funny
    amazing that lots haven’t figured out that people watch him purely because he’s annoying and to take the piss out of him. there’s no way this brings any fans to the club
  • Internet personality and Man U fan Mark Goldbridge has popped up in recent podcasts etc. wearing Charlton shirts, saying Charlton are his League One team, etc.

Now he’s appeared on the Charlton Tik Tok account guessing Charlton players from pictures of them in their playing days.

Attempts to grow the numbers of the younger generation in the fanbase? Don’t think I’ve seen a club try something like this before.
    Going to get him to do a Charlton EAFC road to glory next.
  • who is he? have we sold Thierry Small then?
  • who is he? have we sold Thierry Small then?
    Young Brent is going to be at the Wrexham game on the 26th