Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mark Goldbridge working with the club?

Comments

• edited October 13
    Do we know what will be happening on the day? Will he interfere with my match-day routine, of thermos, sandwiches and misery, by "getting in my face", or will we still be able to tune it out and ignore him!. I imagine the Tannoy may be a bit loud!.
  • It's good to try new things in moderation and although its not for me and a bit plastic, I'm equally not bothered what other fans think of it from other clubs. Also at the same time I don't think its some amazing marketing strategy like some are suggesting. 
  • If it's an opportunity to showcase the Club in a good light, I don't understand what makes it potentially damaging to our reputation? I'd be critical of the Club if it didn't try things to broaden our appeal, even if I'm not  "down with kids" myself

I'm sure the Club would welcome suggestions as to how better to appeal to that demographic than the obvious of winning games of football. 

Is it the idea or the personalities involved that are the real issue for some here? Perhaps if a respected Charlton figure lent his or her public backing to the idea it might be better received as neither CM, or whoever this supposed interwebb sensation is, seem that popular on here. 

As for what fans of other clubs think of it, I'm not so insecure it bothers me.
  • redman said:
    I can't see why people are moaning about this. If it brings more young fans to the Valley, who might become longer term fans, why not? I'm pleased the SMT are trying to broaden our appeal. We all start somewhere. 
    Spoiler: it won't. 

Extra people will be watching for Goldbridge and will leave next week to go watch him watching Manchester United again. 
    So we shrivle and die as we don't attract any new fans? Let's keep trying different things and small gains make big successes. On and off the pitch. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Really interesting that the tone of this thread has become “I don’t know who he is but the youth like him so it must be a good idea” but when people (some of whom are young and the target demographic) criticise they’re basically labelled dinosaurs 
  • Mark Goldberg is universally regarded as a twat. It’s good for the club to be associated with him.

Of course none of us have any view of the commercials at play here, but based on the rates I know social media “influencers” can command (demand) I’d suggest his fee is well into 4 figures. In the scheme of things, not a lot.

BUT, social media is all about clicks, marketing and affiliated sales as a  result of the “influence”.

I suspect we will return peanuts on the investment. It’s up there with the sofa and sex on the pitch.

Sometimes brand reputation is worth more than the marginal generation.

Mark Goldbridge not Goldberg.
  • Those of us of an age need to grasp the reality that social media really has an enormous impact on particularly the young. There is no downside to this and those that this is directed at won’t give a hoot about it be cheap or gimmicky. It will raise the clubs profile and I’d say well done to those at the club that are prepared to push this idea forward. Were in on the ground floor a a flood of others will follow which by then the idea will have passed its sell by date. Great idea and great forward thinking.
  • Mark Goldberg is universally regarded as a twat. It’s good for the club to be associated with him.

Of course none of us have any view of the commercials at play here, but based on the rates I know social media “influencers” can command (demand) I’d suggest his fee is well into 4 figures. In the scheme of things, not a lot.

BUT, social media is all about clicks, marketing and affiliated sales as a  result of the “influence”.

I suspect we will return peanuts on the investment. It’s up there with the sofa and sex on the pitch.

Sometimes brand reputation is worth more than the marginal generation.

I think your post is a bridge too far. 
  • Brand reputation is damaged far more by losing games of football. I've yet to see someone explain why our reputation should be damaged by it other than by association with someone successful they don't like. Well, provided he's not a monster like Fayed, I couldn't care less.

Who on here has made bold claims that it will boost revenue? There's unknown upside potential, little down, except in the eyes of some of our own fans it seems.
  • Who? Never heard of him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hal1x said:
    If Goldbridge can make the club any more cringeworthy than the club has managed for  itself over the last few years then he’s a genius. 
    still could be worse.......

"Passion".

• Those of us of an age need to grasp the reality that social media really has an enormous impact on particularly the young. There is no downside to this and those that this is directed at won’t give a hoot about it be cheap or gimmicky. It will raise the clubs profile and I’d say well done to those at the club that are prepared to push this idea forward. Were in on the ground floor a a flood of others will follow which by then the idea will have passed its sell by date. Great idea and great forward thinking.
    There might be a downside if overall costs for this enterprise outweighs overall gains.
  • edited October 13
    seth plum said:
    Those of us of an age need to grasp the reality that social media really has an enormous impact on particularly the young. There is no downside to this and those that this is directed at won’t give a hoot about it be cheap or gimmicky. It will raise the clubs profile and I’d say well done to those at the club that are prepared to push this idea forward. Were in on the ground floor a a flood of others will follow which by then the idea will have passed its sell by date. Great idea and great forward thinking.
    There might be a downside if overall costs for this enterprise outweighs overall gains.
    Exactly.

Not everything new is bad. But not everything new is good either.

Reading some of these responses I guess some people thought the fans sofa, the shagging on the pitch video and house music in the fans bar before the match were all obviously good ideas from the off?

I joked about it earlier, but why not start selling sex toys in the shop? It's a new idea, will get some clicks and may bring in a few extra quid. Win win.
  • Off_it said:
    seth plum said:
    Those of us of an age need to grasp the reality that social media really has an enormous impact on particularly the young. There is no downside to this and those that this is directed at won’t give a hoot about it be cheap or gimmicky. It will raise the clubs profile and I’d say well done to those at the club that are prepared to push this idea forward. Were in on the ground floor a a flood of others will follow which by then the idea will have passed its sell by date. Great idea and great forward thinking.
    Exactly.

Reading some of these responses I guess some people thought the fans sofa, the shagging on the pitch video and house music in the fans bar before the match were all obviously good ideas from the off?

I joked about it earlier, but why not start selling sex toys in the shop? It's a new idea, will get some clicks and may bring in a few extra quid. Win win.
    Perhaps they already have..
  • LoOkOuT said:
    I’ve done some research. Some new phrases might be helpful:

Mans were mid but now we rizz asf, ya get me? GOATed.
    I’m in my Charlton—era.
    Going superstore tomorrow for a glow up. New drip just dropped. Check OF later for fit check.
    Ryan Reynolds gives me the ick. No cap.
    Crossbars just hits different.
    The opps in the Jimmy Seed are such NPCs.]
    The Covered end bogs are giving yuck, but it’s all gucci.
    That Nathan Jones post-match interview was soo out of pocket.
    Steve Evans always acting like such a pick-me boy.
    6-0! Ya got ratioed blud!
    Ramsay, so sigma.
    Small won’t sign a new contract… still more of a situationship at this point.
    Charlie’s new goal music really slaps!
    Mans was always sleeping on Kish.
    Curb’s new signing must’ve passed the vibes check… 

It kind of looks English but appears to be a lot of words jumbled together. Is it a competition where you use all of those words to make sentences that can be understood by the elderly ?
  • seth plum said:
    My complete guess is it costs us £5,000.
    Can we recover that with 10 new fans for the next 50 years?
    My complete guess is yes, not even in doubt.
  • edited October 13
    Off_it said:
    seth plum said:
    Exactly.

As you've asked, I had an open mind about the sofa. Couldn't see any harm in it, but it came to symbolise a hated figure at the Club. Some things work, others don't and sometimes only by trying something out will you know for sure.

I don't see this initiative as comparable to those you mention because of the different target audiences.

I mean, it looks like an attempt to cash in on the Wrexham success story, but as I wouldn't value what a bunch of kids thought about an idea to appeal to an older demographic, of which I'm one, why should the Club be bothered with what I think? 

Before you say it's because it reflects on us all, it won't reflect on me because I have no interest in it and won't be tuning in.
  • seth plum said:
    My complete guess is it costs us £5,000.
    Can we recover that with 10 new fans for the next 50 years?
    My complete guess is yes, not even in doubt.
    How would you know for a fact that 10 people are tuning in next week, let alone for 50 years? 

I think a lot of people are really overstating the impact this will have. 
  • Off_it said:
    seth plum said:
    Exactly.

It might stop people having a cigarette at half time.

• Not even making it subtle that we’re trying to advertise the fact we’re an opponent of Wrexham 🤢