Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mark Goldbridge working with the club?

Comments

• Those of us of an age need to grasp the reality that social media really has an enormous impact on particularly the young. There is no downside to this and those that this is directed at won’t give a hoot about it be cheap or gimmicky. It will raise the clubs profile and I’d say well done to those at the club that are prepared to push this idea forward. Were in on the ground floor a a flood of others will follow which by then the idea will have passed its sell by date. Great idea and great forward thinking.
    I have no idea who he is and exactly what it is he does.
    Ignorance is bliss in this case……for me at least.😏
  • I think as mentioned before (when discussing the fanzone etc), this is all a strategy to get a more youthful audience which makes sense when you consider that we have an aging fanbase who will (generally) stop attending in the next ten years through no fault of their own. As long as they arent forcing people to watch or making you take part i dont see why it would bother anyone ? As i mentioned before if i go to a restaurant and see a wheelchair ramp i dont assume they don't want my custom, i assume they just want to be accessible to as many people as possible.

All that said it would be quite funny if we can all sing "Goldbridge your a *insert expletive of your choice*" whilst he livestreams.
    Is the average age of our fan base higher than at any previous point?

Biology dictates that fans will get older and stop going. The issue is if they are not being replaced by new fans. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that. 

That of course doesn't mean you don't market to attract a new audience - its just how that is done effectively. Target 10,000 was effective. Target 40,000 would have been effective. Using Mark Goldbridge is pissing in the wind and a waste of the clubs time. 

Over and above that, it's up there with all of the other cringy shit we have had like the sofa and sex on the pitch. If the pricks in Surrey were doing this, we'd be creaming our pants about it.  

There is one indisputable fact - our support is higher at times of relative success, and is directly related to our league position.

It has always been the case, and always will be.

Win games, get promoted. That will bring plenty of new fans to the club.
    I agree success usually gets more supporters but whether you like it or not (and it seems you don't), the world has changed and we need more through the door now - not in a couple of seasons.

I dont understand why but the Goldbridge guy has a large following online and that is important now.
  • edited October 14
    This guy coming in doesn't cost us, as fans, a thing! 

What are the drawback of him coming in and boosting the profile?? Id love to know.
  • Off_it said:
    seth plum said:
    Those of us of an age need to grasp the reality that social media really has an enormous impact on particularly the young. There is no downside to this and those that this is directed at won’t give a hoot about it be cheap or gimmicky. It will raise the clubs profile and I’d say well done to those at the club that are prepared to push this idea forward. Were in on the ground floor a a flood of others will follow which by then the idea will have passed its sell by date. Great idea and great forward thinking.
    There might be a downside if overall costs for this enterprise outweighs overall gains.
    Exactly.

Not everything new is bad. But not everything new is good either.

Reading some of these responses I guess some people thought the fans sofa, the shagging on the pitch video and house music in the fans bar before the match were all obviously good ideas from the off?

I joked about it earlier, but why not start selling sex toys in the shop? It's a new idea, will get some clicks and may bring in a few extra quid. Win win.
    Perhaps they already have..
    It appears we have the same trick or treating outfit 🫡
  • Off_it said:
    seth plum said:
    Those of us of an age need to grasp the reality that social media really has an enormous impact on particularly the young. There is no downside to this and those that this is directed at won’t give a hoot about it be cheap or gimmicky. It will raise the clubs profile and I’d say well done to those at the club that are prepared to push this idea forward. Were in on the ground floor a a flood of others will follow which by then the idea will have passed its sell by date. Great idea and great forward thinking.
    There might be a downside if overall costs for this enterprise outweighs overall gains.
    Exactly.

Not everything new is bad. But not everything new is good either.

Reading some of these responses I guess some people thought the fans sofa, the shagging on the pitch video and house music in the fans bar before the match were all obviously good ideas from the off?

I joked about it earlier, but why not start selling sex toys in the shop? It's a new idea, will get some clicks and may bring in a few extra quid. Win win.
    Perhaps they already have..
    It appears we have the same trick or treating outfit 🫡
    Have a Haribo 🥳
  • Can’t wait to hear our reply too their 
    ”Only here for the Wrexham”…
    im getting asked from all & sundry for tickets for this one,told them only if they want Stockport tix too…😂👍

anyone know if we have given them anymore tickets in our area,if they have indeed sold the JS out…?

• sam3110 said:
    Can’t wait to hear our reply too their 
    ”Only here for the Wrexham”…
    im getting asked from all & sundry for tickets for this one,told them only if they want Stockport tix too…😂👍

anyone know if we have given them anymore tickets in our area,if they have indeed sold the JS out…?

Hopefully it'll be "1-0, on your big day out" or something similar 
    That's is the thing: it will be good publicity if we win, but if we lose it will backfire. No idea what will be the effect if we draw.
  • edited October 14

What are the drawback of him coming in and boosting the profile?? Id love to know.
    There is no real drawback, in the same way there was no real drawback to the pitch side sofa, or sex on the pitch, or firing hot dogs into the stand (thankfully that one didn't come to fruition). All pointless "gimmicks" that added nothing, other than being seen as gimmicky (a la Palace), and using time (and money - albeit not mine) on crap that could otherwise be driving sustainable revenue.

There will be no upside. It will happen, and be forgotten about as quickly as possible. We'll move on and hopefully no-one will be harmed in the experiment.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think as mentioned before (when discussing the fanzone etc), this is all a strategy to get a more youthful audience which makes sense when you consider that we have an aging fanbase who will (generally) stop attending in the next ten years through no fault of their own. As long as they arent forcing people to watch or making you take part i dont see why it would bother anyone ? As i mentioned before if i go to a restaurant and see a wheelchair ramp i dont assume they don't want my custom, i assume they just want to be accessible to as many people as possible.

All that said it would be quite funny if we can all sing "Goldbridge your a *insert expletive of your choice*" whilst he livestreams.

Biology dictates that fans will get older and stop going. The issue is if they are not being replaced by new fans. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that. 

That of course doesn't mean you don't market to attract a new audience - its just how that is done effectively. Target 10,000 was effective. Target 40,000 would have been effective. Using Mark Goldbridge is pissing in the wind and a waste of the clubs time. 

Over and above that, it's up there with all of the other cringy shit we have had like the sofa and sex on the pitch. If the pricks in Surrey were doing this, we'd be creaming our pants about it.  

There is one indisputable fact - our support is higher at times of relative success, and is directly related to our league position.

I agree success usually gets more supporters but whether you like it or not (and it seems you don't), the world has changed and we need more through the door now - not in a couple of seasons.

I dont understand why but the Goldbridge guy has a large following online and that is important now.
    What on earth gives you that impression?
  • edited October 14
    Some people will always be attracted to miracle options that don't require them to do any work. I think the point that times have moved on from ads in the Mercury is fair, but the fundamentals don't change. There has to be a narrative, which was especially powerful in the 1990s, and the club doesn't really have one at present. 

This is a bit like advertising second tier games in a national newspaper would have been then. Very badly targeted. But I doubt if it matters.
  •  Airman Brown said:
    Some people will always be attracted to miracle options that don't require them to do any work. I think the point that times have moved on from ads in the Mercury is fair, but the fundamentals don't change. There has to be a narrative, which was especially powerful in the 1990s, and the club doesn't really have one at present. 

This is a bit like advertising second tier games in a national newspaper would have been then. Very badly targeted. But I doubt if it matters.
    I suppose the point here is whatever we do, whatever marketing strategies we’re go for, we’re kind of polishing a turd when we’re sat in league one. 
  •  Airman Brown said:

I suppose the point here is whatever we do, whatever marketing strategies we’re go for, we’re kind of polishing a turd when we’re sat in league one. 
    Think it's pretty clear that in an attempt to polish the turd they're trying to "do a Wrexham". Reckon that if they were still languishing in League 2 / Non-league, none of this would even be a thing, and got a feeling it ain't just us trying to think of ways to cash in on the idea.

Speaking on Ian Beale, ain't Barry from Eastenders a Charlton supporter? Can always get him in if this idea goes tit's up

I believe we’re also giving that a go. This isn’t a mutually exclusive proposition - in theory they actually go hand in hand.

Arguably, seeing a winning team is most effective at keeping people coming back after they’ve already come through the gate. 

To supplement that, how do you boost the number of first time attendees at games to compliment the (hopefully) winning team? Through trial and error with schemes and stunts for a modern audience that may or may not work.
  • This guy coming in doesn't cost us, as fans, a thing! 

That's just the thing, he doesn't boost the club's profile. 

No human being on this earth will subsequently become a Charlton Athletic fan off the back of this. Sure, thousands of children will tune into his stream, they will send him messages and try and get him to say something silly like "Mike Hunt" or "Hugh Jass", he'll do it and pretend to be annoyed, and that mishap will be clipped up and shared on social media, which is essentially his whole business model. 

It lowers the club's profile, clamoring for the attention of a target audience that will never be interested in watching football that isn't the "Big 6" or Champions League. I've already had about 10 messages from non-Charlton supporting mates to take the piss.

This marketing ploy doesn't bother me, it just reeks of Charlie Methven changing the walk-out music at Sunderland to EDM and expecting a response on the pitch. 
    You have quite a strong opinion for someone says this doesn’t bother you.

The cringe factor and piss taking will be gone the day after the event - I don’t see this lowering the club’s profile in the short term, and definitely not at all in the long term.

In addition, I disagree with the notion that the audience he brings will never be interested in football outside the Top 6. For a majority of his million followers that may be true, but they’re not a hive mind and some will realise that they love it down here. 

I’m almost certain that some kids WILL become long term Charlton fans off the back of this, and I think that’s worth the short term cringe / the odd text off a mate trying to take the piss.
  • Not expecting any piss taking messages from my mates as they are grown men and won't have a clue this is even happening! 

They do know we are a shit league one team though and the Palace fans among them fairly regularly take the piss for that.

I really can't see a downside to this.  Maybe we win a few fans, great!  Maybe we don't, so what.
  • Sponsored links:

I believe we’re also giving that a go. This isn’t a mutually exclusive proposition - in theory they actually go hand in hand.

Arguably, seeing a winning team is most effective at keeping people coming back after they’ve already come through the gate. 

To supplement that, how do you boost the number of first time attendees at games to compliment the (hopefully) winning team? Through trial and error with schemes and stunts for a modern audience that may or may not work.
    Schemes - YES. Target 10,000. Target 40,000. Local school outreach. Football for a fiver. Kids for a quid.

Stunts - NO. Fan sofa, sex on the pitch, "Addicks to Victory", Mark Goldbridge.
    I think it’s very unfair to lump this Goldbridge collaboration in with those other examples.

I can at least understand the thought behind this idea - those others were either all about personal vanity (fan sofa, A2V) or god knows what was going through Katrien’s brain for the other example. Whatever they were, they were all far from any intent of trying to generate new interest in Charlton Athletic.
  • This guy coming in doesn't cost us, as fans, a thing! 

I think it’s just the embarrassment that comes with associating with someone like him. It looks a bit desperate.
  • edited October 15
    JaShea99 said:

I think it’s just the embarrassment that comes with associating with someone like him. It looks a bit desperate.
    How can a guy "universally" thought to be a twat, as someone on here posted, be so successful? I'm genuinely curious having never heard of him. Are we saying that, by association, if you like him, you're not the type we want to attract to the Club? 

Someone said they'd had messages from mates about this taking the piss. I'd like to  hear what they actually said? Whatever it was, and do tell as I'm sure it's funny, reaction from outsiders means a wide audience knows of this now, and presumably the intention is to cast the net wide, even if a lot of 'by catch' of those not interested, or scathing of the idea, feel moved to react.

Those who say it won't have any positive benefit are speculating without evidence of course. They don't know that. None of us do and I'm not saying it will.
  • swordfish said:
    JaShea99 said:

How can a guy "universally" thought to be a twat, as someone on here posted, be so successful? I'm genuinely curious having never heard of him. Are we saying that, by association, if you like him, you're not the type we want to attract to the Club? 

Someone said they'd had messages from mates about this taking the piss. I'd like to  hear what they actually said? Whatever it was, and do tell as I'm sure it's funny, reaction from outsiders means a wide audience knows of this now, and presumably the intention is to cast the net wide, even if a lot of 'by catch' of those not interested, or scathing of the idea, feel moved to react.

Those who say it won't have any positive benefit are speculating without evidence of course. They don't know that. None of us do and I'm not saying it will.
    Sorry but that’s a really naive comment. Have you seen the Internet in the last 20 years? Stupidity is celebrated daily, tons of talentless celebs make a fortune from nothing of any value (subjective, I know) and somehow the village idiot act is still a successful way of making money. Negative content garners more views and followers than positive content. In fact, you don’t even need to look at the Internet - see Piers Morgan.
  • JaShea99 said:
    swordfish said:
    JaShea99 said:

Sorry but that’s a really naive comment. Have you seen the Internet in the last 20 years? Stupidity is celebrated daily, tons of talentless celebs make a fortune from nothing of any value (subjective, I know) and somehow the village idiot act is still a successful way of making money. Negative content garners more views and followers than positive content. In fact, you don’t even need to look at the Internet - see Piers Morgan.
    And this is my big problem with it. People tune in to watch a Goldbridge meltdown. I fully expect him at some point to go on a rant about us being useless. Now he might be right, but your big PR play slagging off the team is a bad look
  • JaShea99 said:
    swordfish said:
    JaShea99 said:

Sorry but that’s a really naive comment. Have you seen the Internet in the last 20 years? Stupidity is celebrated daily, tons of talentless celebs make a fortune from nothing of any value (subjective, I know) and somehow the village idiot act is still a successful way of making money. Negative content garners more views and followers than positive content. In fact, you don’t even need to look at the Internet - see Piers Morgan.
    I've missed my vocation then 😟

Schemes - YES. Target 10,000. Target 40,000. Local school outreach. Football for a fiver. Kids for a quid.

Stunts - NO. Fan sofa, sex on the pitch, "Addicks to Victory", Mark Goldbridge.
    I think it’s very unfair to lump this Goldbridge collaboration in with those other examples.

I can at least understand the thought behind this idea - those others were either all about personal vanity (fan sofa, A2V) or god knows what was going through Katrien’s brain for the other example. Whatever they were, they were all far from any intent of trying to generate new interest in Charlton Athletic.
    Agreed, I'm not a fan but the difference is he at least sells a product that many people are willing to patronize (his youtube etc). The rest was something that came from nowhere.  
  • fenaddick said:
    JaShea99 said:
    swordfish said:
    JaShea99 said:

And this is my big problem with it. People tune in to watch a Goldbridge meltdown. I fully expect him at some point to go on a rant about us being useless. Now he might be right, but your big PR play slagging off the team is a bad look
    I’m hopeful that in our agreement with him it is stated that he won’t be (too) critical of Charlton.
    It would be quite bizarre if we pay him to slag us off.
  • fenaddick said:
    JaShea99 said:
    swordfish said:
    JaShea99 said:

I’m hopeful that in our agreement with him it is stated that he won’t be (too) critical of Charlton.
    It would be quite bizarre if we pay him to slag us off.
    Of course but if he’s got low viewership then he might revert to type
  • edited October 15
    swordfish said:
    JaShea99 said:

Is this true? I occasionally watch Goldbridge’s stuff and I’ve never thought of him as a twat - he’s just YouTube’s version of Alan Partridge. 

There are far worse football internet personalities than him.