Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Charlton games of all time

Comments

• Options
    Charlton 0-5 Watford. 

Guy Luzon as manager. Not even there because we hadn't sorted his work permit. None of the players even tried that game and Watford could've scored 20. 

Proper grim stuff. 
    First game of the protests.
  • Options
    Northwich fans chanting 'football league you're having a laugh' was probably the worse. 

4-0 at the den still hurts. The 6-0 at Hull we left at decided to leave the ground if they got a third before we finished our concourse pints, which they did. We never even got to our seats.
  • Options

Loftus Road away to to QPR when we lost 6-1

It was on that plastic pitch.

Stopped me going on away trips for a long time
  • Options
    Having supported  our club since the early 70’s I’ve a few stinkers to pick from but recent seasons have been the worst by a long way. Any game from our winless run will do for me. 
  • Options
    Away to Cardiff City on 31st December 1977.
    We lost 1-0 thanks to a Les Berry own goal.
    Neither side played an once of decent football on a miserable rainy day.
  • Options
    Pretty much all bases covered, though 2-0 defeat home to Birmingham when El Khalej turned up was dire. Shrewsbury in the League Cup 3-0 up, lost 4-3 wasn't great. But the 2 Millwall games have to be there. 2 Hartlepools,1 League, 1 Arthur Daley Autos Cup are serious contenders. Northwich and Cray Valley have happened to lots of clubs, Maidstone and Ipswich is a quiz question for years to come. But I'm torn between Dagenham and that week of Colchester, Huddersfield and Hull. And Watford. So ultimately after Dagenham we rebuilt, however with the others it just got worse. Then Appleton turned up, just when I thought I'd made a decision. Renewed again..
  • Options
    This thread is going to run for years….
  • Options
    Orient away in the FA Cup under Mulllery, so was that 1981? We were teenagers and waited for Mullery, he agreed that it was rubbish.
  • Options
    Lost 3-0 at Wigan, Kamara got a hat trick.

Players came over to us at the end and were promptly told to eff off.

Not sure if it was an 'operation' game but the club paid for the train tickets.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mametz said:
    The FA cup quarter final against Sheffield United in 2014 was the worst I’ve seen in 60 years of following Charlton. They were in the division below us. This was a real chance of us reaching the FA  Cup semi final, probably for the only time in my, and indeed, most other Charlton supporter’s lifetimes. We didn’t have a single meaningful attempt on goal in the entire game. They completely outplayed us and were unlucky not to win by a far greater margin.

This was at the beginning of the Roland era and a foretaste of what was to come, including our current predicament!
    I reckon I agree with your selection. We'd have had Hull in the semis too. Aaaaargh. The wounds have reopened ten years on.

We did have a meaningful chance though, Callum Harriott somehow missed in the first half when it was easier to score. 
    It was in the 2nd half that he missed it (not that it matters)
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    Mametz said:
    The FA cup quarter final against Sheffield United in 2014 was the worst I’ve seen in 60 years of following Charlton. They were in the division below us. This was a real chance of us reaching the FA  Cup semi final, probably for the only time in my, and indeed, most other Charlton supporter’s lifetimes. We didn’t have a single meaningful attempt on goal in the entire game. They completely outplayed us and were unlucky not to win by a far greater margin.

This was at the beginning of the Roland era and a foretaste of what was to come, including our current predicament!
    I reckon I agree with your selection. We'd have had Hull in the semis too. Aaaaargh. The wounds have reopened ten years on.

We did have a meaningful chance though, Callum Harriott somehow missed in the first half when it was easier to score. 
    Well there you go. It was down the other end so I presumed it was the first half. It suggests we won the toss and changed ends. So we did win something on the day. 
  • Options
    edited May 23
    Danepak said:
    Mametz said:

I thought it was very early in the first half.
    **Edit, I have just youtubed it, and I am wrong................as usual.
  • Options
    Full members cup final with Blackburn.
    THAT Oxford 0-0 at Selhurst. And more recently ~
    Losing 0-2 to MK Dons season before last at home. Tuesday night game. JJ had no options. Nothing up front. We made virtually no impact beyond the half way line. All crap. 
    Full Members Cup final 🤦🏻

Dreadful day
  • Options
    Two games spring to mind. Both in the mid 90’s.

A Tuesday evening home defeat to Southend (0-3 I think) we were just awful and one of the few games I have ever left early.

A game against Sunderland must have been around 1994. I recall it as a Sunday game that ended 0-0 there was a hit of snow and the use of the orange ball was the most interesting moment in the game. I don’t think I have ever been as cold and bored as I was that day. 
  • Options
    edited May 24
    kigelia said:
    Two games spring to mind. Both in the mid 90’s.

A Tuesday evening home defeat to Southend (0-3 I think) we were just awful and one of the few games I have ever left early.

A game against Sunderland must have been around 1994. I recall it as a Sunday game that ended 0-0 there was a hit of snow and the use of the orange ball was the most interesting moment in the game. I don’t think I have ever been as cold and bored as I was that day. 
    I was at the Southend game. As someone mentioned earlier, Steve Brown had a shocker! One of the goals came as a result of him heading back towards his own goal at pace (it's all relative lol). Ansah was chasing him down, brownie kept on going before eventually falling over and leaving Ansah to tuck the ball past the keeper. Not sure who was in goal that night, but he barely moved as play unfurled Infront of him lol salmon? Peterson, maybe?

Edit. Just looked this game up on soccerbase and it lists three different scorers for Southend. None of which were Ansah? It was nearly 30yrs ago though, so my mind could be playing tricks on me!
  • Options
    I'm mindblown some of you are picking mickey mouse nil nils and defeats to nothing opposition over that genuinely hellish game in bermondsey. 4-0 and I dont remember us laying a glove on them. Then being locked in to keep their pussies from doing a pavement jig 
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited May 24
    I was there for too many of these. Pards last game versus Sheffield United really sticks out. Just didn’t want to be there. Pards wave at the end. Only good bit were the post match protests. 
  • Options
    Never felt as bad after a game as the 2-1 defeat to Palace at Selhurst a few months after we moved there. Palace came flying out of the blocks, we looked half asleep. Utter shitshow.
  • Options
    Never felt as bad after a game as the 2-1 defeat to Palace at Selhurst a few months after we moved there. Palace came flying out of the blocks, we looked half asleep. Utter shitshow.
    F*** 'em, 15th May 2005.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Worse game of all time doesn't alway mean when we take a thumping. 
    I was at Luton, Hull and Watford when we where hit for 18 and scored 1; it really wasn't a true reflection of the games as Watford should've had double figures, Hull declared on 80 minutes and Luton even let Flanagan have a consolation goal.
    The opposition were very good on the day and we hardly got a kick.

There was a freezing cold match at the valley against Fleetwood which ended in a 0-0; boring game where nothing happened and it was quieter than a library and it was soul destroying. 
    At least if the opposition turn up and strike the onion bag then fans/Critics alike can express their disgust and opprobrium in an outlet of frothing mouths and bulging eyeballs. 

0-0 and both teams are rubbish just creates 90 minutes of a shite fest.
  • Options
    At least 15 home games last season feature pretty highly on that list
  • Options
    2023-2024 Season
  • Options
    Reading through this thread I can remember going to the vast majority of most people’s worse games. I don’t this is coincidence it’s probably more like we have been generally rubbish for much of my time on this planet. 
  • Options
    Reading through this thread I can remember going to the vast majority of most people’s worse games. I don’t this is coincidence it’s probably more like we have been generally rubbish for much of my time on this planet. 
    It's also that Charlton are just pricks. In the 11/12 season, which was our best points-wise I got my dad involved in going to games far more than usual. That season we won 30 games, drew 11 and lost 5, and of the 11 games I took him to he saw 4 draws and a loss, most of them in the pissing winter cold. I got him that Jackson's 5 ticket deal for Christmas and I think we won 2 of those games. Sorry dad!
  • Options
    No, you're not getting away with that.
    If you've been at so many of the worst games then the statistics don't lie - the crap on the field was all your fault
    As so many lifers will tell you: correlation is the same as causation i.e. when two things happen at the same time more than a couple of times it ain't coincidence anymore 
    Solution: never go again and the rest of us are spared Valley shite forevermore
  • Options
    Most of the absolute stinkers have been mentioned already, but a personal one which sticks in my mind is the 3-1 home defeat to Grimsby in 1992. We had a really good Charlton team having a brilliant season under Gritt and Curbs, so completely unexpected.

I remember getting to Upton Park late as the tubes were screwed up (it was a Tuesday evening match), but when I got there we proceeded to go 3-0 down in the first half in front of 3,658 spectators. Great og by Barness though.

https://x.com/onthisGTFCday/status/1764206342519066788
  • Options
    All the Anglo Italian Cup matches at the Valley. Must have been around 93/94. It was rather exciting to watch us play Italian teams with fancy names. We were dreadful in every match. I was too young to attend the away matches, but from what i've heard we were equally as dreadful, with the exception of a Leaburn(?) goal.

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    All the Anglo Italian Cup matches at the Valley. Must have been around 93/94. It was rather exciting to watch us play Italian teams with fancy names. We were dreadful in every match. I was too young to attend the away matches, but from what i've heard we were equally as dreadful, with the exception of a Leaburn(?) goal.

Ancona away, remember it well. Good trip.