Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Charlton games of all time

edited May 15 in General Charlton
There probably is an objectively worst Charlton game ever simply because of the scoreline, but we always have our own personal awful Charlton games. It could be because you made a long away game journey on a Tuesday night only to see us get tanked, a home cup game where we lost to a team in a league below us in a torrid showing, the team not turning up against a local rival (lots of those!) you get the idea.... 

For me it was losing 0-5 to Watford away in Jan 2015. We let go of our manager days previously and just looked terrible, I left after they scored their fourth. It was one of those false "I dont think things can get any worse..." feelings, but as we know from recent seasons, there's always a "worse" for Charlton to plummet to.

Comments

• Options
    Two of mine already mentioned, the Watford away 5-0 and Wycombe QF. 

Operation Riverside is up there too. Such a long day and great support to then get knocked out the cup was gutting. 
  • Options
    Ross said:
    The 5-2 home defeat to Sheffield United which ended Pardew's tenure was pretty dire.

1-0 home defeat in the League Cup quarter final to Wycombe in 06/07.
    They were the two that instantly sprung to mind for me.
  • Options
    Yea, losing at Brighton 7-0 was awful, stood on the half way line amongst the home fans. I remember me and my mate singing "Always look on the bright side of Life" as the goals went in, with Jimmy Case smacking a couple of long shots into the top corner. Ronnie Moore, our centre forward, was voted worst player of the match which said something about the game!

We also lost 3-0 to Brighton in a Full Members Cup game I think, on a freezing night that was very cold to any extremity! That was poor and a long trip home trying to warm up.

At home, the Leicester drubbing (5-0) hurt for a long time, as did that Sheffield United game but at least it saw the end of Pardew...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sunderland at ‘home’ at Upton Park when Marco Gabbiadini tore us a new A hole - lost 4-1 Sept 91 - that was a grim night
  • Options
    edited May 15
    Brighton 7 Charlton 0 is, despite stiff competition, my personal choice.  Celebrating the winning of a corner midway through the second half like we’d won the league was a bit special though.
    Not a bad memory for me, I had an otherwise good day out despite the result. Wasn’t planning to go but something we were doing finished earlier than expected, so quickly persuaded my dad we could get to their ground in time and I’d drive (Ford Capri). Pre-completion of the M25, left home at 12.30 and got to the ground with time to spare and bumped into mates already in the ground. It’s not always about the football (fortunately).

Loads of other shit games over the years but the latest one for me was the Orient away match
  • Options
    Swindon 5 Charlton 0. Terrible journey. Terrible performance. Terrible that it was a rare Div 2 game featured as the main game on MOTD. 
  • Options
    What about 11-1 v Aston Villa
  • Options
    The Millwall 2-1 loss when Solly got sent off for the ball hitting his face was a horrible day too. Did so well for 80mins
  • Options
    I'm with whoever said the bad ones kind of blur into one shitshow sprinkled with some amazing days and some truly, truly awful days. 

But the thread is about the shit so the shit I will delve into 

Getting done in the relegation season 5-1 by Tottenham. I sat in a catatonic state through the second half, considering we clawed it to 2-1 by half time and always had a decent record against them I felt a totally false confidence we might squeeze a point. How wrong I was. Tottenham has been the scene of some brilliant days supporting charlton for me and then bookends with this horror show. I didnt think I'd see a worse performance from a Charlton side. How wrong I was. 

Nothing comes close to the 4 nil away at Millwall. Nothing. I will take the let downs of operation Riverside and the 2014 capitulation but nothing can forgive the performance that day. Nil nil at half time to a disaster of a second half and worst of all I felt the players allowed themselves to be intimidated by those pussies. Also had the joy of being locked in after the game with the police proving two tier policing is a thing by going after the last demographic they can get away with cracking the heads of
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    January 2016 with 5-0 Huddersfield followed by 6-0 Hull was grim stuff
    Which was preceeded by the 2-1 loss in the FA Cup away at Colchester who were at the bottom of the league below us with the worst defensive record (I think...) in the football league.
  • Options
    edited May 15
    The 2-1 defeat at Dagenham & Redbridge in 2011 was right up there as being complete dross.  (A certain Danny Green scored for Dagenham.) 

Closely followed by last season's defeat at Newport County in the Carabao. (Whoever decided to play in a black strip for a match at a ground with inadequate floodlights on an evening when it was pissing down with rain should have been shot.)
  • Options
    January 2016 with 5-0 Huddersfield followed by 6-0 Hull was grim stuff
    Which was preceeded by the 2-1 loss in the FA Cup away at Colchester who were at the bottom of the league below us with the worst defensive record (I think...) in the football league.
    You've just reminded me of a horrible 3-0 defeat at Colchester back in the Division Three days. From memory, it was decent first half, then Colchester rattled in three quick second half goals.
  • Options
    Any match against Tranmere. Of all the teams I have ever seen play, they are the most negative, anti-football side and I hate watching them 'play'; if you can even call it that. 
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    Any match against Tranmere. Of all the teams I have ever seen play, they are the most negative, anti-football side and I hate watching them 'play'; if you can even call it that. 
    Good shout. They broke my heart at the end of the 1991/92 season. A Tuesday night at Upton Park. They were in mid table obscurity yet beat us 1 0 which ultimately cost us a playoff place. John Aldridge looking particularly pleased with himself. 
  • Options
    For the neutral it was a game on TV. I can't quite figure out which game it was but I know it happened. I thought it was Monday night football, and it was possibly Middlesborough. It was 0-0 and neither side had a shot on goal, on or off target. I can't find a fixture/ result that matches this, so maybe it got expunged from existence. 
  • Options
    A more recent one. I seem to remember a Blackpool away game during Robinson's tenure that was absolutely dire for both teams. Neither teams seem to want to win the game and it was January or February. It was a cold day. I just remember it being miserable off the top of my head he was either a draw or a loss and maybe delfounso scored? I think if I remove myself from the perspective of being a Charlton fan and put myself as a neutral that could possibly be the single worst game of football I've witnessed in my life In terms of quality on offer
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    For the neutral it was a game on TV. I can't quite figure out which game it was but I know it happened. I thought it was Monday night football, and it was possibly Middlesborough. It was 0-0 and neither side had a shot on goal, on or off target. I can't find a fixture/ result that matches this, so maybe it got expunged from existence. 
    It was a Sunday game in 2002