Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Charlton games of all time

Comments

• Options
    A lot mentioned already. I would say any Millwall game other than Kim Grant Day. I still have nightmares about the 1989 early season one when we were winning 2-0 in injury time and still didn’t win there. That was horrible walking out of there and then I realized I’d forgotten where I parked the car.

Luton away late 80’s when away fans were banned. We were very proud of ourselves getting in their shitty ground stood in the home end (there were loads of Charlton there), but then we were 3-0 down at HT. Horrible experience.
  • Options
    6-1 away to Leyton Orient,6-1 home to Leeds,7-0 away to Barnsley The list is endless,but some of the games we have seen this year were amongst the worst ever ,Shrewsbury at Home,Wycombe away,and many more,absolute crap.
  • Options
    Despite numerous hammerings over the years, I rank a 2-2 draw at Millwall in 89, amongst the worst I’ve seen. Certainly in terms of how I felt. We didn’t play badly and were in control (for about 86 minutes anyway). 
    Normally, I’d take a point away at Millwall all day long but left the ground that night, absolutely gutted. 
  • Options
    6-1 away to Leyton Orient,6-1 home to Leeds,7-0 away to Barnsley The list is endless,but some of the games we have seen this year were amongst the worst ever ,Shrewsbury at Home,Wycombe away,and many more,absolute crap.
    7-0 away to Barnsley?
  • Options
    Might be the 7-1 at Burnley when we had two men sent off. Was at Welling that day, news coming through on peoples radios, thought we were heading for double figures.
  • Options
    edited May 16
    Aston Villa 11  Charlton Athletic 2. At primary school so only read about it. Was at the return 2 - 1 to Charlton.
  • Options
    Aston Villa 11  Charlton Athletic 2. At primary school so only read about it. Was at the return 2 - 1 to Charlton.
    11-1
  • Options
    edited May 16
    Northwich Victoria in the cup was a disaster.
    If it was not for a combination of Randolph and poor finishing we could easily have lost 3-0.
    **Edit, have just looked at the team that day, there was a guy called Binks on our bench, I have never heard of him.  Perhaps @shirty5 could help out?
  • Options
    Not the worst game played, but devastating to an 11 year old, was Charlton 3 Blackburn 4.  Last game of 57/58 season and we only needed a draw to return to Division 1. Instead Blackburn were promoted and it took nearly 30 years before we returned to the 1st division.
  • Options
    If it was not for a combination of Randolph and poor finishing we could easily have lost 3-0.
    **Edit, have just looked at the team that day, there was a guy called Binks on our bench, I have never heard of him.  Perhaps @shirty5 could help out?
    Looked him up. Jack Binks. He completely passed me by.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was definitely a case of bink and you missed him.
  • Options
    edited May 16

More like Jar Jar Binks.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

More like Jar Jar Binks.
    Not worth posting the gif now.  Thanks a lot.
  • Options

Dozens over the last five or six years especially first ever losses at the Valley to these teams:

Gillingham 2018

Lincoln 2022

Accrington 2021

Morecambe 2022

Cheltenham 2022

Burton 2021

Fleetwood 2023

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:

More like Jar Jar Binks.
    Not worth posting the gif now.  Thanks a lot.
    Wheresmegif
  • Options
    edited May 16
    Dagenham & Redbridge 2 Charlton 1 from 2011. Always my yardstick of how bad we play and how far we've fallen.
  • Options
    To many to mention
  • Options
    Surprised no one has mentioned Cardiff City at home in 1985. Jim Standards one and only game and we lost 4-1
  • Options
    Surprised no one has mentioned Cardiff City at home in 1985. Jim Standards one and only game and we lost 4-1
    Indeed. Buoyed by the fact three days previous we had come back from 3-0 down after 30 minutes to beat Barnsley at the Valley,  I took my future wife to this. 

Nothing expectation wise beats losing in the quarter final to Division 2 Wycombe, when we were  in our final season as a premier league club.

We were comprehensively outplayed and they should have won by more than the only goal. Marcus Bent at full time telling players not to clap the crowd as we had chanted that they were not fit to wear the shirt.
  • Options
    Sheff Utd in the cup was the most depressing all round experience and aftermath. 
    However, I will say that in the first half of our home game against Cambridge this season I found myself thinking, ‘I could quite happily never come back here’ which was pretty bleak. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nothing for me beats the home game against Palace in 1985. Not even the final match a few weeks later. To be given that leaflet and try and digest the contents, when the whole proposal game totally out of the blue, made the game an irrelevance. Even if we did beat them. 
  • Options
    Nothing for me beats the home game against Palace in 1985. Not even the final match a few weeks later. To be given that leaflet and try and digest the contents, when the whole proposal game totally out of the blue, made the game an irrelevance. Even if we did beat them. 
    We have a winner - this game never came into my head - perhaps my brain has tried to erase it - yes, an unbelievable thing to discover before a ball was kicked - my lovely, sadly no longer with us, Dad, had tears in his eyes when he read the leaflet - I was simply bemused 

Charlton Athletic eh - never a dull moment 
  • Options
    Not sure any premier league games should really be included in this .

There was a 0-3 against Preston- Pickford was in goal for them , I think, under Luzon - absolutely god awful .  
  • Options
    There are so many to choose from. 6-0 away at Wrexham in the FA Cup about 1980 . 6-1 away at Preston , evening game late 70's. Sheff Utd away in the cup. And two last season in quick succession , Cray at home and Gills away.
  • Options
    Gillingham last season is a good shout. First time in my life I genuinely considered leaving an away game about 30 mins early.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Gillingham last season is a good shout. First time in my life I genuinely considered leaving an away game about 30 mins early.
    Yes it was very cold that day 😉
  • Options
    edited May 17
    Might be the 7-1 at Burnley when we had two men sent off. Was at Welling that day, news coming through on peoples radios, thought we were heading for double figures.
    I was there . I was about 13 years old. I think Killer got sent off that day. I also remember us getting beat 6-0 at Brighton around the same time.
  • Options
    Probably all be in mentioned higher up the thread.

Wycombe QF 
    Sheff Utd QF
    Millwall 4-0 
    Dagenham 2-1 loss (probably the worst ever line up to represent the club)
    Dagenham 1-1 in the FA Cup
    Northwich FA cup game.

• Options
    Charlton 0-5 Watford. 

Guy Luzon as manager. Not even there because we hadn't sorted his work permit. None of the players even tried that game and Watford could've scored 20. 

Proper grim stuff.