Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst Charlton games of all time

Comments

• Options
    Luton away in the 70s. 
    I think the final score was 7.1
    We tried to leave at HT but old bill wouldn't let us out.
    We had to suffer the entire 90 minutes of absolute shite.
    And 2 years earlier they thumped us 5-1 at The Valley.
  • Options
    Luton away in the 70s. 
    And 2 years earlier they thumped us 5-1 at The Valley.
    Yes I remember that.

Reading through this thread at least we can't be accused of being glory hunters 😉
  • Options
    I’ve witnessed some terrible results but if we’re talking about the actual game itself, a 0 0 NYD draw at home to Blackburn at Selhurst was fucking awful, as was a 0 0 at home to Carlisle in the early 80’s. Wycombe away this season was pretty sure as well.
  • Options

• Options
    Most of mine have already been mentioned, some honourable mentions the 2-0 away defeat at Hartlepool in 2011, the 4-0 at-home to Brighton in 2010 and the cup defeat to forest in 2007 whe we were premier league and they were in league one....

Going to also mention the palace game in 2012 at home, when BWPs goal was wrongly given offside, not worst game but a moment thst still pisses me off, because I honestly think that game was a catalyst for those c**** to be where they are now and it could have been us instead, we should have won at smellhurst as well
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    For the neutral it was a game on TV. I can't quite figure out which game it was but I know it happened. I thought it was Monday night football, and it was possibly Middlesborough. It was 0-0 and neither side had a shot on goal, on or off target. I can't find a fixture/ result that matches this, so maybe it got expunged from existence. 
    It was a Sunday game in 2002
    It's certainly a contender. I was there and I think it had that typical Riverside thing of litter swirling across the pitch. Quite appropriate as what was served up was a real load of rubbish. I recall drinking "Boro Ice" in my seat (a Smirnoff Ice rip off) to try and numb the pain. It didn't work. 
  • Options
    The 5-0 away at Watford with one of the worst hangovers of my life was a tragic experience 
  • Options
    January 2016 with 5-0 Huddersfield followed by 6-0 Hull was grim stuff
    Which was preceeded by the 2-1 loss in the FA Cup away at Colchester who were at the bottom of the league below us with the worst defensive record (I think...) in the football league.
    You've just reminded me of a horrible 3-0 defeat at Colchester back in the Division Three days. From memory, it was decent first half, then Colchester rattled in three quick second half goals.
    That game was fucking awful - most notably because of the worst own goal I've ever seen (Llera) and the soulless fucking walk back to the station from the stadium.

Me and a mate went with a Col U fan from work - luckily he's a sound bloke or it could have been much worse. 
  • Options
    January 2016 with 5-0 Huddersfield followed by 6-0 Hull was grim stuff
    Which was preceeded by the 2-1 loss in the FA Cup away at Colchester who were at the bottom of the league below us with the worst defensive record (I think...) in the football league.
    You've just reminded me of a horrible 3-0 defeat at Colchester back in the Division Three days. From memory, it was decent first half, then Colchester rattled in three quick second half goals.
    That game was fucking awful - most notably because of the worst own goal I've ever seen (Llera) and the soulless fucking walk back to the station from the stadium.

Me and a mate went with a Col U fan from work - luckily he's a sound bloke or it could have been much worse. 
    Remember that one well, felt like a bit of revenge when we won there in the promotion season 
  • Options
    Cray Valley at home this season was up there, took a half day off work to go. I was worried as soon as I saw the lineup. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jan 1995 - horrible cold day - I had a massive hangover and felt like shite - vs Derby at home - we were 3-1 up at half time - lost 4-3 - bloody Gabbiadini again with 2 - walked out of The Valley absolutely fuming 
  • Options
    The 2-1 loss against Colchester in the FA Cup 2016 springs to mind. Fraeye at one of his lowest points, a midfield diamond of Poyet v2, Cousins, Moussa and Ceballos somehow and a stated tactical plan from Fraeye of asking Callum Harriott what League One Colchester were like because he'd been on loan there. Ceballos came off at halftime and was replaced by Rhys Williams who turned in one of the worst performances you'll ever see. Fans were so angry it started the rumour that Fraeye left the venue in a laundry basket. The Huddersfield game in comparison was hilarious. So bad it had to be the final straw for Fraeye and included Solly giving Reza every barrel in existence after he deliberately got sent off, plus Henderson fronting up to the media when Fraeye wouldn't, which is a great moment.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Yes, I was at that one.
  • Options
    Brighton 7 Charlton 0 is, despite stiff competition, my personal choice.  Celebrating the winning of a corner midway through the second half like we’d won the league was a bit special though.
    Strangely I remember this Brighton game almost fondly! After going 7-0 down with half an hour to play we battled like stink to keep them out for the rest of the game. I can still remember the bemused look on Ronnie Moore's face as he looked at the applauding fans after the game! (I think we were as much applauding the fact that somehow we had started the first six games of the season unbeaten as that last half hour...)

Plenty of other bad ones to remember. Maybe I'd pick the 6-0 FA Cup defeat to Wrexham at The Racecourse in Jan 1980 -  just awful. 

• Options
    Either 87 or 88 at home to Oxford at Selhurst.

The worst 0-0 I've ever seen.
  • Options
    Was at both the Luton and Brighton 7-Ups and Luton for me was the worst of the two. We were abject throughout and awarded our pen by a ref who felt sorry for us.  Brighton IIRC we actually started ok but everything Brighton hit was on the money - so overall marginally better of the two.

Most disappointing big game for me was the Sheff Utd quarter-final, bullied off by a team a division below us
  • Options
    4-0 at the Den by a country mile 
  • Options
    The 0-2 home defeat to mk dons in a game dedicated to PC Keith Palmer. Unforgivable, inept 'performance'.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Carl Leaburn’s debut I believe 
  • Options
    Luton away in the 70s. 
    I got out with 20 mins to go. By that tîme, plod were just laughing at us as the goals kept raining in.

Sometime in the early -mid 90s an evening match against Southend. I think it was Andy Ansah who tore us a new one, we lost 0-3. Steve Brown was absolutely abject that night. 

Then from the PL days there’s the 6-1 at home to Leeds. At least I “only” watched it live on TV in Prague on my Scandi mate’s Norwegian channel. I was briefly cheered up by Mick Collins post match report, which didn’t mince words, and was brutally funny in places. “Unfortunately” it was hosted on the official website🤣, and Mick and the club parted ways in the close season as I recall. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 15
    JiMMy 85 said:
    For the neutral it was a game on TV. I can't quite figure out which game it was but I know it happened. I thought it was Monday night football, and it was possibly Middlesborough. It was 0-0 and neither side had a shot on goal, on or off target. I can't find a fixture/ result that matches this, so maybe it got expunged from existence. 
    It was a sunday afternoon, remember it well - a bunch of us were in Milan and we pleaded with the bloke who ran the football pub to put it on, I think promises to drink the pub dry might have swung it. It was truly atrocious, both sides set up for a point on a boggy pitch...we noticed people leaving early on, and about halfway through the second half, an English bloke who'd sat behind us at the Inter game the night before came in. He got a pint, had a chat then cleared off ten minutes later, he'd seen enough. Think he had the right idea.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

I remember that one. It was a very grey day. It was my birthday. You're right- the football was abysmal. 
  • Options
    Not so much a terrible match but a terrible moment I'm trying to see if anyone else can remember what game it was.

Nick Pope was in goal for us and the opposition had a free kick from close range, Pope arranged the wall then went and stood basically about 2 feet away from the opposite post. The whole of the north Upper shouting that he was too far over and needed to move, he stood his ground and stayed put, low and behold the free kick taker gets it up and over the wall but not particularly well placed and it goes in for a fairly avoidable FK goal.

I have it burnt in my memory but for love of me cant remember the game or result, anyone help me out ?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Yes, I was at that one.
    The miserable weather - it rained - coupled with the roofless end of Layer Road was bad.  Conceding two in ten minutes was worse.  Dick Tydeman's 80th minute sending off almost completed the day.  But it only really dawned on me how bad it was when the Charlton fans were beckoning Peter Shaw forward to try to bolster the ineffective attack.  

If only I had the chance to tell the much younger me that I needn't worry about how bad it was; because there were plenty more bad days to come in the following decades. 
  • Options
    The 0-2 home defeat to mk dons in a game dedicated to PC Keith Palmer. Unforgivable, inept 'performance'.
    Yes to this.. been so many but mk dons at home on a Tues night always sticks out to me
  • Options
    Agreed, in fact I feel like we always seem to lose "special event" home games. The back to Valley anniversary game in Dec 2017, lost 1 nil. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Only positive I can remember from that was my dad giving an earful to some coppers who were trying to force us into some sort of route march to the ground. He was adamant that we going our own way and won the day. Ironically, they were probably only doing it for our own safety. 
  • Options
    The 5-0 away at Watford with one of the worst hangovers of my life was a tragic experience 
    Good pick Yann, dreadful game, but ended up a good laugh and a terrible hangover also.
  • Options
    All the ones I've paid for train, hotel, ticket to attend over the last 10 years.