Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    We are ahead of where we would be most seasons on the eve of the first friendly which is fantastic to see.

The only really major piece of the puzzle left is the goalkeeper. Get that sorted and we’d be more than ready to start the season next weekend.

Still want three to round out the squad (GK, CB, CM) and then start work on finding new clubs for unwanted players but otherwise things are looking very good.
    Yes, very much agree with all of that....... just wondering ........... if Miles isn't back until October....... and then takes a while to get match fit...... I'd like to see us cover the risk of Chuks doing a Chuks and leaving us with 3 strikers for potentially several months....... 
  • Options
    We are ahead of where we would be most seasons on the eve of the first friendly which is fantastic to see.

The only really major piece of the puzzle left is the goalkeeper. Get that sorted and we’d be more than ready to start the season next weekend.

Still want three to round out the squad (GK, CB, CM) and then start work on finding new clubs for unwanted players but otherwise things are looking very good.
    Yes, very much agree with all of that....... just wondering ........... if Miles isn't back until October....... and then takes a while to get match fit...... I'd like to see us cover the risk of Chuks doing a Chuks and leaving us with 3 strikers for potentially several months....... 
    We can use the loan market for an emergency, rather than our main marquee signings.
  • Options
    I think Campbell is going to be used as the 10 a lot this year, don't see where else he fits in so would expect him to move inside as he's not built to be a wingback

• Options
    I think Campbell is going to be used as the 10 a lot this year, don't see where else he fits in so would expect him to move inside as he's not built to be a wingback

Not convinced, think Jones wants to keep him as a winger option if he wanted to change the shape of the team.

The 10 role really needs fresh blood we've had Fraser and Morgan not up to it in recent seasons while Anderson showed some potential under Jones, we need someone who's just come off the back of a good season playing there, unless any of our current signings are intended to play there. I feel if the answer was in the squad in Campbell we'd have played him there instead of Anderson and the kind of thing we'd have done if Sandgaard was still here.
  • Options
    mendonca said:

We can use the loan market for an emergency, rather than our main marquee signings.
    Loans definitely a decent option but not sure how much quality we'd get at short notice? Say we went for another quality striker now...... it would give us good cover until Miles was up to speed and perhaps we wouldn't miss Miles so much when he (inevitably) gets sold and/or Chuks does a Chuks? 
    Without knowing any of the relevant info to make such a decision I think I'd go for a good GK, someone at CB and another good striker and rely on squad cover for midfield .........like Campbell, Edun, Z Mitchell, one of the wingbacks.......?
    If there's enough 'outs' and budget room it'd be great to see 4 coming in to strengthen the whole spine?
    So far though, this is the best window I can remember in a long time ........let's keep 'em coming!
  • Options

Could be used as a striker option or wing back. That’s the positions where Jones used him last year

I’d use him as an attacking wing back option, probably not going to start many games but if we are chasing a game it’s a good option. Also if we had Edwards at LCB it would work well as it could just shift to a back 4 and allow Campbell to freedom to attack. I don’t think Campbell is a central player, it takes away his biggest strength which is 1v1 dribbling 
  • Options
    My favourite Charlton player, by a mile.
    POTY.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

How I see it really, definitely the three signings I think we need. I wouldn’t be against two further CM’s with Taylor going or another striker with Kanu going League 2 but they’re not desperate. 

When I look at the squads im not convinced we have enough to be top 2, but remain hopeful if we can get the last few in. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don’t need anymore midfielders, a wide player and keeper
  • Options
    I have to say I'm happy with the business we've done so far. Yes we do need a couple more additions, but you can see that NJ is building a big, strong athletic squad to play his way.
    The owners need to be applauded for backing him so far. I was disappointed to see May go, but sometimes shit happens, the signings of Godden, Ahadme and Docherty make up for that loss. As for Dobbo, perhaps him moving on will allow Coventry, who I think is a good footballer, to flourish in a 3 with Berry and Greg.
    Let's see who else comes in, but so far, it's been a good window.
    I think we've done fairly well overall. I would imagine that fans of other clubs seeing players like Docherty, Berry, Mitchell, Ahadme signing on would not necessarily be jealous but definitely would consider those strong signings. Mannion less so perhaps but he was not really intended as first choice anyway. Godden is one that could go either way but I do think his experience and attitude will help a lot in training etc.

I suspect we will see more outgoings than incoming now but that's not a bad thing as sad to say there are probably some we do need to move on for various reasons.

We're not done yet but I am happy enough with what has happened so far. May leaving is still a blow but probably less than it would have been if we hadn't been able to see the club proactively moving and not scrambling on the last day.

• Options
    Keep seeing people say we need to sign a wide player, why? We are clearly playing with wingbacks and no wingers so why waste budget on one?
    Especially as we have Campbell as the doesnt happen often 'we might play with a winger for a bit today' option.
  • Options
    edited July 6
    Keep seeing people say we need to sign a wide player, why? We are clearly playing with wingbacks and no wingers so why waste budget on one?

Isn't an attacking full back or wing back a wide player when a team is on the attack. Shaw was always crossing from wide and in an advanced position in recent tournaments for England.

For England:
    The lack of width on the left this time is because Shaw hasn't played, Gordon's was only put on in the 89th minute etc and Trippier only uses his left foot to stand on.

Same scenario for Charlton you need to the ability to cross from wide on the left or right. Teams still need players who can cross from both sides and from advanced positions. So top attacking full backs but also forwards who can cross. Kanu 1st assist was when he went wider on the left for Leaburn to score.
    I'm a great fan of forwards like Taylor (hush your mouth Sam 🤐)  and Grant who could play central and wide. 
  • Options
    Seems like most are feeling positive about our transfer activity but to get a true picture, it must be time for the “whelmometer” to make an appearance. It never lies!
  • Options
    We’re not likely to play with wingers that often and you already have Campbell and Edwards who can/have played those positions, so I would put it as low priority. 
  • Options
    We could do with the option in the squad to play with wingers if we want to change a game, but I agree there’s no point wasting budget on an out and out winger who will spend most of their time on the bench.

What would probably be ideal is a number 10 who’s comfortable out wide, but I’m not convinced Jones wants that type of player in midfield. I think he’s more likely to use players like Berry or Anderson there, i.e. hard working CMs who like to get forward, rather than say a Jonny Williams or Billy Clarke.
  • Options

Isn't an attacking full back or wing back a wide player when a team is on the attack. Shaw was always crossing from wide and in an advanced position in recent tournaments for England.

For England:
    The lack of width on the left this time is because Shaw hasn't played, Gordon's was only put on in the 89th minute etc and Trippier only uses his left foot to stand on.

Same scenario for Charlton you need to the ability to cross from wide on the left or right. Teams still need players who can cross from both sides and from advanced positions. So top attacking full backs but also forwards who can cross. Kanu 1st assist was when he went wider on the left for Leaburn to score.
    I'm a great fan of forwards like Taylor (hush your mouth Sam 🤐)  and Grant who could play central and wide. 
    If we are counting wing backs as wide players then we have loads of wide players and don’t need any more.