Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Stevenage Boro : Easter Monday 1st April 2024 : KO 15:00

1234568»

Comments

• Simonsen said:
    Simonsen said:
    Just had a trawl through the other 1,195 Charlton games I've seen and I can't say one stands out as being worse than that game yesterday.

Anybody care to offer a game up they feel was worse? 
    The 5-0 defeat at Watford.

That really was the pits.
    I can think of plenty of shit performances but I'm struggling to think of a shitter/more boring game than yesterday. 
    Tuesday night game against Oxford United at Selhurst in 1987. 0-0, and would still have been 0-0 if they had played all night. Dullest game I have ever seen, though I agree that Monday runs it close.
    There was a horror 0 0 at Selhurst v Blackburn on NYD 1991. Trouble is when  trying to recall woeful games you are more likely to have expunged them from your memory more quickly. 
  • edited April 3
    Not a 0-0 but I remember a defeat to Millwall at Upton Park where Charlton were absolutely shite and Alex Rae absolutely ran the show - I ended up having a row with another Charlton supporter in the Chicken Run because he was annoyed about my moaning and shouting about just how bad Charlton were that day - I remember him saying ‘if you are so bloody good, why don’t you put some boots and a kit on and get out there’ I told him to F off, and yes I would be better than this shower of shit - almost ended in fisty cuffs !!!

Edit - 18th Oct 1992 - lost 2-0
  • Steve Evans reckoned they must have had 80 or 90% possession because they outplayed us so comprehensively. Yeah, 50% possession Steve mate. He always manages to be ridiculous, I don't know how they put up with him
     Walked up to the game today with a couple of Stevenage fans. They can't stand him either!
    They must be newcomers. I’d be surprised if they are in the majority. He’s taking them to their highest league poition in their history.
    They finished 6th in this division 12 years ago. So unless they get into the playoffs, it won’t be the highest position in their history.
  • I love Kanu's work rate and he is a good finisher when getting on to the end of crosses but I've yet to see him turn and take on a defender and go past them on a dribble....
  • I've had a chance to mull it over and come to the conclusion that I will be more than happy with performances like that away from home.
    ... but we will need to start dominating and forcing the equation at the Valley if we are to have any sort of chance.
  • edited April 3
    Pardew's last game when we lost 5-2 Sheffield United at The Valley was not very good.
    I have been going since '76 and I would say that the week of Colchester, Huddersfield and Hull was a VERY low point in my time supporting us.  I as at Colchester and Hull, I would have been at Huddersfield if I could have got the time off.
  • masicat said:
    NJ bought in to do a job. We were the laughing stock of league one heading for oblivion. Now, we no longer get beat, and when he gets his players we will be a real force. Football still crap, but NJ wasn’t bought in for any other reason than safety. 
    I hope so, but as long as Scott, Lenagan and co who oversaw this season’s recruitment remain involved it remains to be seen.
    Where is Scott these days? Not heard a peep out of him since Jones arrived
  • masicat said:
    NJ bought in to do a job. We were the laughing stock of league one heading for oblivion. Now, we no longer get beat, and when he gets his players we will be a real force. Football still crap, but NJ wasn’t bought in for any other reason than safety. 
    I hope so, but as long as Scott, Lenagan and co who oversaw this season’s recruitment remain involved it remains to be seen.
    Summer will be interesting. Jones must have been made promises in this respect, as I think his management style requires the players to fully buy in. I just fear we end the summer with the usual half arsed squad and no manager!
  • Simonsen said:
    Just had a trawl through the other 1,195 Charlton games I've seen and I can't say one stands out as being worse than that game yesterday.

Away to Stevenage  in 11/12. 
    I went to that and it was pretty shit. 
  • Sponsored links:

• masicat said:
    In the Directors Box on Monday
  • I'm disinclined to see this season as a potent to next. Wishful thinking? Maybe, but the current lot now know how not to do it. Why would they repeat the same errors next season? 
  • almost ended in fisty cuffs !!!

But what was the score in the match?

Amusing - we lost 2-0 - usual rules vs Smallwall 

If you are pointing to my row - it would have been a KO to me early doors 😉 

Don't mess with Lord Flash !!!

Amusing - we lost 2-0 - usual rules vs Smallwall 

If you are pointing to my row - it would have been a KO to me early doors 😉 

Don't mess with Lord Flash !!!
    WOOF!!!!!
  • masicat said:
    Summer will be interesting. Jones must have been made promises in this respect, as I think his management style requires the players to fully buy in. I just fear we end the summer with the usual half arsed squad and no manager!
    Don’t see much needed defensively.. unless AMB and Ness leave , we are well covered in the wing backs position and centre back suppose the only question is around Thomas … but it’s the midfield that needs work , Dobson can go , Coventry a much better all round player , we need attacking mid players who can score goal’s especially if Fraser leaves , that’s where the problem lies at present ? Up front you might need to bring in another goalscorer but with Leaburn Aneke with Wickham you have the target men there if you want to play that way 

• JohnnyH2 said:
    masicat said:
    In the Directors Box on Monday
    Seen doing the hoovering and handing out prawn sandwiches. 
  • masicat said:
    Don’t see much needed defensively.. unless AMB and Ness leave , we are well covered in the wing backs position and centre back suppose the only question is around Thomas … but it’s the midfield that needs work , Dobson can go , Coventry a much better all round player , we need attacking mid players who can score goal’s especially if Fraser leaves , that’s where the problem lies at present ? Up front you might need to bring in another goalscorer but with Leaburn Aneke with Wickham you have the target men there if you want to play that way 

We are not well covered in the wing back positions as Edun and Watson are not good enough, and if we are going to play in the formation we have been we need much better. We need another keeper to be first choice and pick one of Isted or AMB as the reserve. We need effort and goals in midfield and I can't see Wickham or Ladapo staying so a striker is needed. Then it is a case of looking what is available and if it is better than what we have and within our means we need to go for it whatever position it is.
    We also have a handful of clean sheets over the course of 41 games. We need a new defence and keeper, and we need first team wing backs. 
    I’m realistic to know that we can’t go out and get 22 players, but there are very few that I’d be cross about letting go. Kanu and Thierry small definitely, Coventry and may probably and maybe Jones. I’d also keep Kayne Ramsey as it’s too soon to judge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Simonsen said:
    Simonsen said:

I can think of plenty of shit performances but I'm struggling to think of a shitter/more boring game than yesterday. 
    Tuesday night game against Oxford United at Selhurst in 1987. 0-0, and would still have been 0-0 if they had played all night. Dullest game I have ever seen, though I agree that Monday runs it close.
    Forgot all about that Oxford game until you mentioned it.. Also at Selhurst early January could even have been New Year’s Day against Blackburn Rovers 0-0 and add to that it was bloody freezing.
  • Pardew's last game when we lost 5-2 Sheffield United at The Valley was not very good.
    I have been going since '76 and I would say that the week of Colchester, Huddersfield and Hull was a VERY low point in my time supporting us.  I as at Colchester and Hull, I would have been at Huddersfield if I could have got the time off.
    I was at Hull and Huddersfield. To be fair I had a great day out at Hull. I went in fancy dress as a pile of laundry, complete with laundry basket, but the wouldn't let it in, so had to leave it at the turnstile. Later that afternoon the came over and told me I couldn't wear a 'Roland Rat' mask at the game, as it covered my face. How the world had changed.

Inspite of the 6-0 result I enjoyed the afternoon, and the chant for the season, "We never win awayyyyyyy" was great fun.

Monday was just dull, without even a protest to enjoy. Ditch water would seem like Spearmint Rhino compared to Monday's fare. 
  • Simonsen said:
    Simonsen said:

Forgot all about that Oxford game until you mentioned it.. Also at Selhurst early January could even have been New Year’s Day against Blackburn Rovers 0-0 and add to that it was bloody freezing.
    Yep, I mentioned that Blackburn game further up. New Year's Day 1991. A horrible way to start the year.