Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Stevenage Boro : Easter Monday 1st April 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• edited April 1
    Dreadful game no quality in it whatsoever.
  • Pony 
  • Sometimes it's hard to find the words to sum up a game. But not today, although probably best if I keep them to myself 
  • I’ve never walked out the ground and heard everyone so quiet. Such a nothing game of football 
  • Regression to the mean under Jones. 

Two months of good performances and then back to the poor displays we're used to. 

Need a complete rethink in the summer. None of this 'we're only 4 signings off' nonsense. 
    Agree with this, a lot of players seem to be turning up for work because they’re getting paid rather than turning up to play a football match because they love the game. I’ve seen more passion from Sunday pub teams.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lifeless and dull. Where have the performances against Derby and Bolton gone? Need a win soon.

• edited April 1
    That includes defenders. Look at what they average over a season and add them up and if it doesn't add up to 80 plus you probably won't be doing anything. You don't need super computers. Obviously, players like Kanu you can't assess but if I am an opposing manager and know if you stop two to three players you stop us, it isn't that hard a job. At least the terrible errors seem to have dried up.
  • Proper end of season fare that. Neither team exactly busting a gut to get anything. 50-50 possession, three shots on target each, dull stuff all round. In the end though it's a point against a team in 8th place and everyone below us lost so that's another game ticked away until we can start over. 
    Stevenage are a team that struggle to score but don't concede many either. Only 3 teams have conceded fewer than them this season and they're all in the play-off spots. We've conceded 19 more goals than them but also scored 7 more so it shows the importance of being solid and not gifting teams goals. I think this regression stuff is inaccurate and it's unnecessarily negative thinking. We would have lost that under Appleton because we would have made a stupid mistake that even their strikers would have managed to put away and they would have shut us out. We have massively improved at the back under Jones. Isted now has his third clean sheet of the season which is one more than AMB in 9 fewer games and he's conceded 18 in 16 as opposed to a miserable 41(!) in 25. That's not regressing back, that's major improvement and that's because of improvement in the defence in terms of both players and coaching. 
    The challenge now is improving the attacking side but given he's managed to bring in only two players he specifically wanted and one of them has been injured almost the whole time that's not that surprising. I think our biggest issue right now is fitness; we're playing a very high-energy pressing style and I'm sure we can all remember how unfit this team was even at the start of the season under Holden. We gave up so many late goals because we didn't start with the right season preparations and we've paid for it all season. It's no wonder the players look jaded now after a decent start, but hopefully we'll bring in players with better engines and start off the right way next season for Jones's style of play.
    Yeah, that was dull but we've only got 5 games left and then we get to see if Jones can be given what he asks for and deliver as opposed to having to play with this patchwork squad of nothing. The defensive improvement is encouraging enough for me to feel like we have a good coach, he just needs the right resources now
    This... Good post. 
  • Croydon said:
    Dobson won man of the match 
    our fans are beyond clueless 
    He was dreadful. I know it's sacrilege on here to say it but I really don't think we'll miss him. Replace him with someone who can go forward and play a pass and it will completely change us. 
    He was good before he signed for someone else though. Clearly is playing at 70% or less, s o why play him every week?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 1
    Jones post-match interview. 

- All positive, still unbeaten. Want to finish season strong. 
    - We didn't use ball enough, and create in final third. Could have been better with the ball. 
    - If we're playing like that this time next year, I haven't done my job properly. 
    - Players giving me everything. Not many teams are beating us. 
    - We're starting to build something but I want us to be better. 

You missed out the 25 superfluous uses of the word “look”. 
    That’s two hours of my life I’m not getting back. Utterly awful game of football. This league is complete shite. Not a single player in our squad that I would lament for long if they left. About three from that line up today that I’d keep if it was that simple. What was the point of getting Lua Lua in on trial and then not play him?  Have we broken Wickham already?  Have we discarded L Watson completely? Where is Jones?  Does T’other Jones not rate him? Does T Taylor exist?  Surely we know by now that the Ladapo experiment has failed. Can’t blame a dodgy pitch or the wind this week. Stevenage were horrible but should have won with their one dimensional approach. Two clear headers missed. I’ve never bought into Jones as the Messiah. He’s done well to keep us up with the resources we have. I hope he’s right and that he turns this around next season but on the evidence of the last few games it’s a big ask. 
  • Lifeless and dull. Where have the performances against Derby and Bolton gone? Need a win soon.

Caught those 2 by surprise with our then new high press.

Other teams have worked us out now.

• Grim game. We showed a desperate lack of quality, whether someone with a bit of individual flair to create something out of nothing, or someone in midfield with some vision and creativity. May as a number 10 didn't work.

And while it was a clean sheet, we looked worryingly vulnerable in the air in the second half, losing far too many headers, both the first and second ball.

Bakinson has been underplayed in recent weeks. He might not be the answer for next season, but at least he shows some enthusiasm out there.
  • Stevenage tackle well, run hard and close down well.  They won the majority of second ball and looked a good, spirited mid table league One side - better than us - certainly on the day.

I have to believe there's more to come from us though.  I mean, I have to, otherwise what is the point?   

With the much vaunted 'structures' and 'building blocks' in place the team can only get better eh?  I'll renew my season ticket with a song in my heart ... and my fingers crossed  :|

• edited April 1
    Poor poor game, shocking passing, couldn’t win many headers in attack or defence, battled throughout and the bonus was a clean sheet and a point.
    Their number 5 looked excellent all game and their number 33 won every header for them. Both better than anyone we’ve got.
  • Stevenage tackle well, run hard and close down well.  They won the majority of second ball and looked a good, spirited mid table league One side - better than us - certainly on the day.

I have to believe there's more to come from us though.  I mean, I have to, otherwise what is the point?   

With the much vaunted 'structures' and 'building blocks' in place the team can only get better eh?  I'll renew my season ticket with a song in my heart ... and my fingers crossed  :|

There isn't more to come from us with that bunch.