Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Stevenage Boro : Easter Monday 1st April 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• Slow boring, pedestrian football, add in a completely shit ref and you have league one football.

• A bit depressing that. Flattest of flat performances with a flat dire atmosphere. Felt like a loss. They are putting standing back in the Covered End, but there was nothing today to get you out of your seat all game. How crap is this league if Stevenage are challenging for promotion?

We have no creativity in that side. Small is our only outlet and his delivery just wasn't there today. What has happened to Camara? Is he injured again? We needed somone who could try something different. Why was Lua Lua not given 15 minutes to open them up? Seems Jones prized that clean sheet over entertaining the fans.

Renewed my season ticket last week thinking we will be going for promotion next year. However, we are so poor its going to be a big ask for Jones to turn this around in the summer. We need to offload the majority of this team. The only player who played well today was Hector. Nevertheless you worry with him that he puts a shift in just to get a contract and then switches off. Piergianni should be someone we have on our shopping list. Nobody in the Championship will want him but he is the type of player who can upgrade our defence.

I know we are not safe yet but the only spark of interest left for me this season is seeing Bonne and Taylor getting much deserved dogs abuse at Cambridge. I was hoping they woul keep losing so we could put them in the bottom four, but even that's not happening now as they have won their last two.
  • Just watched the Ipswich 3 Southampton 2 match on Sky. 

Totally jealous - it is where we should be.  Jeremy Sarmiento's last minute winner just takes the piss. 
  • edited April 1

• Sponsored links:

• Milan said:
    That was so terribly boring. We have now (I think) drawn more games than any other team in the top 4 divisions.
    Take the wins where you can, I suppose.
  • Like two bald men fighting over a comb…. 
  • edited April 1
    Dobson won man of the match 
    our fans are beyond clueless 
    No one round taking votes today, been like that quite often. Mostly it will be whoever wants to front up and come up to the lounges especially after poor games, for what it’s worth my vote would have gone to Hector today
  • edited April 1
    I don't think we can blame the ref but he was hard to work out in terms of the consistency of his decisions. He gave some soft fouls and let some harder ones go! I don't think that helps the game in all honesty.

Generally though, Fleetwood away we could explain the lack of quality on the pitch and weather but the last two games we can't and we struggle to control the ball and even pass it! Ok, our opponents haven't been much better but that isn't the point really.
  • sm said:
    It may be sacrilegious but my view is that Nathan Jones should drop Dobson for the rest of the season. He isn't creative enough to play in that position and we need to leave Coventry where he is as that will be his position next season. 
    The more games Dobson plays the more I think Jones likes him and he'll be with us next season.
    If we end up paying c£500k to buy Dobbo out of his contract to stay with us then I'm done. That even out does the Aneke clusterfuck contract negotiation. 
  • sm said:
    It may be sacrilegious but my view is that Nathan Jones should drop Dobson for the rest of the season. He isn't creative enough to play in that position and we need to leave Coventry where he is as that will be his position next season. 
    The more games Dobson plays the more I think Jones likes him and he'll be with us next season.
    I doubt it - Coventry is already playing in his position and Dobson doesn't have the creativity we need as today's game illustrated in spades.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Steve Evans reckoned they must have had 80 or 90% possession because they outplayed us so comprehensively. Yeah, 50% possession Steve mate. He always manages to be ridiculous, I don't know how they put up with him
     Walked up to the game today with a couple of Stevenage fans. They can't stand him either!
  • Learning curve for Jones with regard to the players and what he needs to do. This lot ain’t getting us promoted. 
  • edited April 1
    sm said:
    If we end up paying c£500k to buy Dobbo out of his contract to stay with us then I'm done. That even out does the Aneke clusterfuck contract negotiation. 
    You'd not be too far wrong but I can see it happening.

Although not agreeing with that figure.
  • We seem to allow every team to cross the ball without any attempt to stop them. They should have scored from one of them towards the end. Their no 3 Butler put loads of crosses in.
    Whereas Stevenage doubled up whenever Small had a go.
    Our opponents' defenders also seem to be able to get a foot to the ball to knock it away from our strikers as they attempt to receive a ball knocked forward.
    Very frustrating. 
  • as soon as I saw Ladapo on the sheet to start. I thought we would not win. Disappointed with the midfield, especially Coventry. There was very little happening in midfield today and the passing was awful. Even Dobson who worked his socks off showed poor judgement in passing the ball. I thought they were very good at negating whatever we were doing so we basically cancelled each other out, but I do think their chances were better than ours.
    I thought the defence was not bad on our part and Hector looks very good.
    The very drabness of this game I think was the result of poor passing of the ball