Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Stevenage Boro : Easter Monday 1st April 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• Can't play Dobbo and Coventry together IMO....too similar....need a creative midfielder.....after all the fanfare if that is the dross NJ is going to serve up then I won't renew my Charlton TV pass next season.....what's the point of signing Lua Lua if you are not going to play him.....
  • The worst thing is that according to Louis Mendez, we cannot now reach playoffs ... who would have thought it 😂
  • We need to get out of this league next season. 
  • Absolutely horrendous game of football yet again. A lack of skill and gameplan and the majority look like they couldn't give a toss. 

Any players whose contracts are expiring, let them run, we can do better. Gun to my head man of the match for us, Hector, but even he looks like he couldn't care.

I think we need a whole new XI practically except for Alf, Small and Coventry? The more I watch the more I realise how poor the squad is.

I'm not even joking at this point either and I was always partly serious, sign Carl Piergianni. Best player on the pitch comfortably. Was up and down, clearing headers, creating chances for them, outstanding 1on1, and a proper leader. Puts our defenders to shame. Reminds me of Jason Pearce which is what we are desperately missing at present.

As for a bit of guile and flair, we are desperate for some genuine quality. So many players lack the skill on the ball to make something happen. Our most dangerous creative outlet is an 18 year old left back, its shocking.

Just please get this season over with and give Nathan Jones money. It ain't gonna be cheap to turn this shit ship around.
    Coventry not that good. 
  • Gutted by our performance 
    But not unexpected been slack for the last few games 
    It's like they done enough to keep us up Then gone back to the same old shit 
    It's not good enough let the club & the fans down big time
    I said it before I just want the season over now & going to find it hard to motivate myself to go again this season 
    Roll on Germany 

• Sponsored links:

• Horrible game summed up by the first half stats. I believe we had just one shot by May and that almost cleared the stand. Only Hector and Small can take any credit today although the latters crosses were very poor. The rest ranged from below average to outright garbage! As others have said, May as a number 10 doesn't work and we are crying out for a decent midfield that bridges the gap between defence and attack. All we did today was bypass the midfield with long balls in the air that we had no hope of winning. All in all a depressing return for me to the Valley. Won't be going again any time soon!
    Let's hope we can get a few more points on the board so that we can forget about relegation and have done with this dreadful season.
  • kafka said:
    Croydon said:
    Dobson won man of the match 
    our fans are beyond clueless 
    He was dreadful. I know it's sacrilege on here to say it but I really don't think we'll miss him. Replace him with someone who can go forward and play a pass and it will completely change us. 
    He was good before he signed for someone else though. Clearly is playing at 70% or less, s o why play him every week?
    Its weird because Coventry was brought in to replace him - but he didn't go & now we are playing both players. Add into the mix either an out of form Anderson or May playing deeper our midfield is slower than an over 50's walking football team. 

If Coventry is the future then just drop Dobson & start trying to play in a bit more attacking fashion. I actually thought Dobbo was pretty decent today, but him & Coventry just makes the misfield sluggish & unadventurous. 
  • edited April 1
    Thought everyone was poor, coventry etc. 

What a poor squad they have assembled 
  • let’s be fair in my comments and a balanced thought out view- it was rubbish.
    then over an hour to get through the Blackwall Tunnel.
  • Positives - unbeaten in 10
    Negatives - 1 home win since end of November.
  • Jones post-match interview. 

- All positive, still unbeaten. Want to finish season strong. 
    - We didn't use ball enough, and create in final third. Could have been better with the ball. 
    - If we're playing like that this time next year, I haven't done my job properly. 
    - Players giving me everything. Not many teams are beating us. 
    - We're starting to build something but I want us to be better. 

You missed out the 25 superfluous uses of the word “look”. 
    That’s two hours of my life I’m not getting back. Utterly awful game of football. This league is complete shite. Not a single player in our squad that I would lament for long if they left. About three from that line up today that I’d keep if it was that simple. What was the point of getting Lua Lua in on trial and then not play him?  Have we broken Wickham already?  Have we discarded L Watson completely? Where is Jones?  Does T’other Jones not rate him? Does T Taylor exist?  Surely we know by now that the Ladapo experiment has failed. Can’t blame a dodgy pitch or the wind this week. Stevenage were horrible but should have won with their one dimensional approach. Two clear headers missed. I’ve never bought into Jones as the Messiah. He’s done well to keep us up with the resources we have. I hope he’s right and that he turns this around next season but on the evidence of the last few games it’s a big ask. 
    Great post. 

We have been dull, boring and with no attacking threat for weeks yet the same old players are playing week in & week out. 

As every week passes I am getting more pleased I didn't part with £450 for a ST. And it will take something special for me to buy one for the new season. 

• Jones post-match interview. 

- All positive, still unbeaten. Want to finish season strong. 
    - We didn't use ball enough, and create in final third. Could have been better with the ball. 
    - If we're playing like that this time next year, I haven't done my job properly. 
    - Players giving me everything. Not many teams are beating us. 
    - We're starting to build something but I want us to be better. 

You missed out the 25 superfluous uses of the word “look”. 
    That’s two hours of my life I’m not getting back. Utterly awful game of football. This league is complete shite. Not a single player in our squad that I would lament for long if they left. About three from that line up today that I’d keep if it was that simple. What was the point of getting Lua Lua in on trial and then not play him?  Have we broken Wickham already?  Have we discarded L Watson completely? Where is Jones?  Does T’other Jones not rate him? Does T Taylor exist?  Surely we know by now that the Ladapo experiment has failed. Can’t blame a dodgy pitch or the wind this week. Stevenage were horrible but should have won with their one dimensional approach. Two clear headers missed. I’ve never bought into Jones as the Messiah. He’s done well to keep us up with the resources we have. I hope he’s right and that he turns this around next season but on the evidence of the last few games it’s a big ask. 
    Great post. 

We have been dull, boring and with no attacking threat for weeks yet the same old players are playing week in & week out. 

As every week passes I am getting more pleased I didn't part with £450 for a ST. And it will take something special for me to buy one for the new season. 

Such as a Chris Powell style clear-out?  :)

• Sponsored links:

• That was so terribly boring. We have now (I think) drawn more games than any other team in the top 4 divisions.
  • aliwibble said:
    First half was pretty uneventful, with a lot of balls ping-ponging about in midfield, and chances for both sides being few and far between. According to Scott Minto at half time, our XG was 0.05 while Stevenage's was 0.03, which gives you some idea of the paucity of chances. Probably the event that got the home fans most excited was the controversial booking of Tennai Watson a few minutes before the end of the half.
    Stevenage brought on 3 subs at half time, and had some much better chances. We brought on Chuks on the hour mark but took off Alfie, and while we did create more, couldn't convert. But at least we kept a clean sheet for once.

Final score 0-0
    That was dire and if it was a showcase for selling season tickets for next season, I'm not sure it would have helped .... actually I am sure.it wouldn't have.  

I think if Steve Evans had been on the touchline at least there would have been some entertainment.

God I hope Barnsley and Wigan are an improvement, they can't be worse!
  • edited April 1
    Well..that was cack. 

People mentioning the new manager bounce has gone. Think Jones has made these players solid with a lack of creativity!

Dobson was utter pony today. Not arsed about how he was...he has been bad for a while now, the bloke cannont pass! NJ needs his own players in the summer to really make the difference but he has done well to keep this current squad solid.
  • sm said:
    It may be sacrilegious but my view is that Nathan Jones should drop Dobson for the rest of the season. He isn't creative enough to play in that position and we need to leave Coventry where he is as that will be his position next season. 
    The more games Dobson plays the more I think Jones likes him and he'll be with us next season.