Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST MATCH THREAD : Charlton Athletic Vs Stevenage Boro : Easter Monday 1st April 2024 : KO 15:00

Comments

• A game not worthy of comment. 
  • Leuth said:
    We're not going to get outmuscled by bloody Rotherham, surely. Surely
    In 2017-18 they outplaced us and were promoted via play-offs easing past the side who made light work of us. 

In 21/22 they went up automatically while we lingered with a mid-table finish in 13th. 

There's a serious argument to be made that Rotherham have been a more successful club in the last 8 years or so with more promotions under their belt and more fixtures played in the championship? 

Not a team to take lightly and will be right up there as they usually are in league1.
    They also don't have the Manager that took them to that success in the years you mention - So could well be a very different proposition under Matt Taylor back at this level.

Paul Warne with his history at this level is probably the best Manager to appoint in League One.
    Think Richardson is their manager now. Taylor is at Bristol Rovers.
  • Dull dull dull

For me the clean sheet was the only positive. There are a couple of players that I won’t mind having around next year but to be honest if none of them were then it wouldn’t worry me. 

I just hope that jones has the hand in deciding next years squad that we all think/hope he does. 

Until a manager is given time and support in building a squad in his image, then this will be rinse and repeat every season. They’ve made a rod for their own back half arsing this to now, current batch and previous. 
  • Leuth said:
    In 2017-18 they outplaced us and were promoted via play-offs easing past the side who made light work of us. 

In 21/22 they went up automatically while we lingered with a mid-table finish in 13th. 

There's a serious argument to be made that Rotherham have been a more successful club in the last 8 years or so with more promotions under their belt and more fixtures played in the championship? 

Not a team to take lightly and will be right up there as they usually are in league1.
    Can’t argue the facts. However, isn’t it sad that from 7th in the Premiership, we now desire to be a steady ship like Rotherham.  They are one of a number of clubs we looked down on as far inferior to us, an that includes Bournemouth,
    Brentford  and Luton who currently have Premiership status.  Next season is crucial, another season of abject failure could see us confirmed as just an average league 1 side. Our bigger club rep, has / is fading fast.
  • Leuth said:

Then their manager left. Under warne, they always went down but made a fight of it, this year they are awful and are a long way adrift at the bottom

Rotherham have been a yo yo club but it’s not a given that they will yo next year
  • Just had a trawl through the other 1,195 Charlton games I've seen and I can't say one stands out as being worse than that game yesterday.

Anybody care to offer a game up they feel was worse? 
  • Simonsen said:
    I think yesterday's game probably makes my Top Ten worst games of all times list. Might even break into the top five. 

Our two strikers were pretty grim (Kanu tried very hard and did do a couple of good things) and barely anything stuck to them. That's one massive area to address for next season....get a striker that can hold the ball up, so we can play further up the pitch. 

I'll be happy to be proved wrong but I can't see 3-5-2 working for a whole season. Not unless we can sign three more proper WBs to go with Small (we're going to need cover). 
    For me a 352 only works if you have two very good wing backs as they're probably the two most important positions in the formation. If the wing backs aren't good, it's quite likely the team will not function properly.

Small is good (is he signed for next season yet?) but we need similar on the right. Ramsay can be the right sided back up but we absolutely need to sign a good quality RWB for the first XI.
    I agree with this. Watson is just not good enough.
  • ct_addick said:
    Can't play Dobbo and Coventry together IMO....too similar....need a creative midfielder.....after all the fanfare if that is the dross NJ is going to serve up then I won't renew my Charlton TV pass next season.....what's the point of signing Lua Lua if you are not going to play him.....
    Jones explained post match, that because Stevenage were continually pumping high balls into our box he felt he needed height at the back, rather than a winger.
  • Surely it was a game made for Lloyd Jones - where has he vanished to? Is he injured?
  • I was also surprised at how bad Stevenage were. A side with the play offs still in sight but they offered very little and are now 7 without a win. This run they're on is a huge fuck up from them.
    I think it's more that they massively overachieved earlier in the season, and are now reverting back towards their true level.
  • Sponsored links:

• Simonsen said:
    Just had a trawl through the other 1,195 Charlton games I've seen and I can't say one stands out as being worse than that game yesterday.

That Leeds thrashing or one up in Colchester. 
  • Stig said:
    Simonsen said:
    Just had a trawl through the other 1,195 Charlton games I've seen and I can't say one stands out as being worse than that game yesterday.

Hull 6-0 after Colchester.
  • Simonsen said:

The 5-0 defeat at Watford.

That really was the pits.
  • edited April 2
    Simonsen said:

Getting tonked 4-0 at home against Brighton in 10/11 was pretty bleak. Bonus points for the fact LuaLua was on the scoresheet that day. Alternatively that same season losing 1-0 against Exeter via a 93rd minute penalty. 3 shots on target, 42% possession, Abbott and Benson up front. Ugh.
  • TEL said:
    A bit depressing that. Flattest of flat performances with a flat dire atmosphere. Felt like a loss. They are putting standing back in the Covered End, but there was nothing today to get you out of your seat all game. How crap is this league if Stevenage are challenging for promotion?

We have no creativity in that side. Small is our only outlet and his delivery just wasn't there today. What has happened to Camara? Is he injured again? We needed somone who could try something different. Why was Lua Lua not given 15 minutes to open them up? Seems Jones prized that clean sheet over entertaining the fans.

Renewed my season ticket last week thinking we will be going for promotion next year. However, we are so poor its going to be a big ask for Jones to turn this around in the summer. We need to offload the majority of this team. The only player who played well today was Hector. Nevertheless you worry with him that he puts a shift in just to get a contract and then switches off. Piergianni should be someone we have on our shopping list. Nobody in the Championship will want him but he is the type of player who can upgrade our defence.

I know we are not safe yet but the only spark of interest left for me this season is seeing Bonne and Taylor getting much deserved dogs abuse at Cambridge. I was hoping they woul keep losing so we could put them in the bottom four, but even that's not happening now as they have won their last two.
    I was practically laughed off the site when I suggested Piergianna as a decent centre back before Christmas 
    He's 32 in May
  • Stig said:
    Simonsen said:

Hull 6-0 after Colchester.
    Colchester 
  • Be interesting to see if ramsay gets a game or how much of one of he more likely comes on as a sub
  • Simonsen said:

I can think of plenty of shit performances but I'm struggling to think of a shitter/more boring game than yesterday. 
  • Leuth said:

They also don't have the Manager that took them to that success in the years you mention - So could well be a very different proposition under Matt Taylor back at this level.

Paul Warne with his history at this level is probably the best Manager to appoint in League One.
    Matt Taylor got the sack months ago - Leam Richardson is head coach there now.
  • Simonsen said:

There were a couple during the Slade era. Lost one of them at home to Oldham, or some other northern outfit. Crofts and Foley were worse than anything we have now. An away defeat at MKD was awful. I think we have short memories. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Surely it was a game made for Lloyd Jones - where has he vanished to? Is he injured?
    I had the same thought. He looked our best cb before getting injured. Where is he?
    I really hope he’s a starter in our defence next season. 
  • Steve Evans reckoned they must have had 80 or 90% possession because they outplayed us so comprehensively. Yeah, 50% possession Steve mate. He always manages to be ridiculous, I don't know how they put up with him
     Walked up to the game today with a couple of Stevenage fans. They can't stand him either!
    They must be newcomers. I’d be surprised if they are in the majority. He’s taking them to their highest league poition in their history.
  • edited April 3
    JamesSeed said:
    Simonsen said:

There were a couple during the Slade era. Lost one of them at home to Oldham, or some other northern outfit. Crofts and Foley were worse than anything we have now. An away defeat at MKD was awful. I think we have short memories. 
    That did feel like a bad time but we need another 14 points to beat our total from that season (2016-17). If we do that, it will be worth watching. Personally, I'd take that season's players over the current lot. 
  • Steve Evans reckoned they must have had 80 or 90% possession because they outplayed us so comprehensively. Yeah, 50% possession Steve mate. He always manages to be ridiculous, I don't know how they put up with him
     Walked up to the game today with a couple of Stevenage fans. They can't stand him either!
    They must be newcomers. I’d be surprised if they are in the majority. He’s taking them to their highest league poition in their history.
    Agreed. That was the best atmosphere I've ever heard from Stevenage fans
  • Simonsen said:
    Simonsen said:

I can think of plenty of shit performances but I'm struggling to think of a shitter/more boring game than yesterday. 
    Tuesday night game against Oxford United at Selhurst in 1987. 0-0, and would still have been 0-0 if they had played all night. Dullest game I have ever seen, though I agree that Monday runs it close.
  • That bastard referee had the audacity to give 5 more minutes of injury time!

Its been ages since I’ve been in the Fans Bar but thought it was a good experience. Not only did i start talking with two Stevenage fans who were very impressed with the facilities and the ground saying that it was the best ground they had been to and it was more suited towards a premiership ground but I also acknowledge @Fanny Fanackapan as I walked around looking for some mates I hadn’t seen for years.
  • Repeat of what I typed after the Exeter 'thriller' .. keeps the unbeaten show on the road, better a few boring draws than a few entertaining defeats, if not perhaps for those who are seeking the perfect performances
  • Simonsen said:

Away to Stevenage  in 11/12.