Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Cheltenham Town vs Charlton Athletic: Tuesday 5th March 2024 KO 19:45

Comments

• Options
    Vlog for Cheltenham is up, can be found here: https://youtu.be/9-czHssx5i8?si=vvMeTJokg4Mix5RA

Some subdued reactions from me this time, as I genuinely compromised my voice from my Derby antics, but stuck to the script other than that. 

Hope you enjoy addicks, see you all at the Valley! :)
    The joy of winning. Even sweeter when it’s away. 
  • Options
    edited March 7
    clive said:
    Just read through the comments, it seemed that if you were there you generally had more favourable views than if you weren't.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the performance & the evening.
    First time I've seen us win away live this season.
    Great day/evening.

That's why i take little notice of post match threads on this forum, people who could not be bothered to to turn up, whinging, moaning & commenting on a match which i found very entertaining.
    Although i normally travel by train to games & this time went by coach, i enjoyed the trip & it was good to catch up with a few old faces.
    In general i find that people who attend games, especially away games are far less critical than the 'Firestick' brigade.

I agree with you about the sofa critics who can only see half or a quarter of the pitch at any one time and miss so much of the work off the ball but you do get the vile personal abuse aimed at players by critics with bulging eye balls and frothing at the mouth giving dogs abuse to individuals or the team at matches. I have had too many rows with critics at Cafc matches over the years when the abuse goes OTT. 

I'm sure after Derby and Cheltenham the away fan were united in joy as Jones has transformed these players into competitors with a backbone who are on an unbeaten run of 6 games.

As one of our Poster's stated Tennai Watson in the Reading game and Nathan's 1st game was constantly being called an utter c*** by one moronic critic so it's not always helpful with the eclectic mix of people who make up our observers.
  • Options
    supaclive said:

I enjoyed that. Tired this morning after getting in just gone 1 but worth it.

Great result against a spirited Cheltenham team who lacked quality but did make us work for it.

How Jones has changed this team is an embarrassment to Apples, its night and day in comparison. Hard to pick out individuals as was a good solid team performance but thought that may have been Watson best game for us. Just one of many players Jones has improved.

Anderson and Kanu gave everything once again, but they looked tired, but the subs did well when they come on.

Hopefully, REG is not too much of a bad one as he has been really good but at least we have Jones and Hector coming back.

Only grumble is we had enough chances to have that game wrapped up in the first half and we do still have a switch off in us at the back.

Although I also see great improvement in our play, I still think it’s too early to judge. If you compare NJ’s early results they really aren’t better than Appleton’s. At best you can argue that they are equal because we’ve just played the top 3.
    However, Appleton didn’t have Small, Gillesphey, Bakinson or Coventry (EDIT and Edmonds Green)who were instrumental in our win last night. Nevertheless, in his first seven league games Appleton got 4 wins and 3 draws. NJ has got 2 wins, 4 draws and one defeat.

Sat, 21 Oct
    4 - 0FTEnglish League One

Sat, 7 Oct
    2 - 2FTEnglish League One
    Tue, 3 Oct
    4 - 1FTEnglish League One
    September, 2023
    DATEMATCHRESULTCOMPETITION
    Sat, 30 Sep
    0 - 0FTEnglish League One
    Sat, 23 Sep
    3 - 1FTEnglish League One
    Sat, 16 Sep
    1 - 1FTEnglish League One

Sat, 2 Sep
    2 - 1FTEnglish League On
    Appleton also had CBT & Leaburn for that period. Much easier fixtures too with 5 homes games to boot.
    So for our next game, you’d prefer to be without the 5 players I mentionned so that you could have the two you mentionned in the team? Come on!
    You’re just refusing the face the facts. I’m not saying that I’d rather have Appleton, just that everyone is getting far too carried away with NJ. 
    Geunine wow moment
    Small is Jones' man
    Ramsey is Jones' man
    Fiorini is Appleton's man
    Coventry is Appleton's man

Jones wins that

Look at Tennai Watson
    Look at Karoy Anderson
    Look at Daniel Kanu

Unbeaten in 6
    Didn't win in 15

And we're getting carried away by Nathan Jones

What a very silly opinion

Without Jones we'd probably get relegated 

You can't see that?
    I do think there’s others that would’ve kept us up - it wasn’t Jones or bust IMO.

But I must admit that 1. I’m very impressed that the club were able to lure a man with NJ track record to a third tier relegation scrap and 2. Just how quickly the turn around has happened.
  • Options
    It is definitely a different experience from being at the game as opposed to online. I fell asleep watching Northampton on Charltontv (admittedly I was knackered and I'm a lazy fucker) and then during the Pompey 0-0 I didn't find I could concentrate as much. 

I do however love the option when I can't make a game as it keeps me in touch with the team, and I love that people have an option that live away from England. 

Just a different perspective on the game is all
  • Options

Great result against a spirited Cheltenham team who lacked quality but did make us work for it.

How Jones has changed this team is an embarrassment to Apples, its night and day in comparison. Hard to pick out individuals as was a good solid team performance but thought that may have been Watson best game for us. Just one of many players Jones has improved.

Anderson and Kanu gave everything once again, but they looked tired, but the subs did well when they come on.

Hopefully, REG is not too much of a bad one as he has been really good but at least we have Jones and Hector coming back.

Only grumble is we had enough chances to have that game wrapped up in the first half and we do still have a switch off in us at the back.

Although I also see great improvement in our play, I still think it’s too early to judge. If you compare NJ’s early results they really aren’t better than Appleton’s. At best you can argue that they are equal because we’ve just played the top 3.
    However, Appleton didn’t have Small, Gillesphey, Bakinson or Coventry (EDIT and Edmonds Green)who were instrumental in our win last night. Nevertheless, in his first seven league games Appleton got 4 wins and 3 draws. NJ has got 2 wins, 4 draws and one defeat.

Sat, 21 Oct

Sat, 7 Oct
    Tue, 3 Oct
    September, 2023
    Sat, 30 Sep
    Sat, 23 Sep
    Sat, 16 Sep

Sat, 2 Sep
    2 - 1FTEnglish League On
    I can only presume you are not watching any Charlton games. 
    It's near impossible that any adult could offer that opinion having watched the games. 
    You wouldn't even needed to have ever seen a game of football before, to see that we've gone from relegation level performances to promotion level performances. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sat, 21 Oct

Sat, 7 Oct
    Tue, 3 Oct
    September, 2023
    Sat, 30 Sep
    Sat, 23 Sep
    Sat, 16 Sep

Sat, 2 Sep
    2 - 1FTEnglish League On
    Appleton also had CBT & Leaburn for that period. Much easier fixtures too with 5 homes games to boot.
    So for our next game, you’d prefer to be without the 5 players I mentionned so that you could have the two you mentionned in the team? Come on!
    You’re just refusing the face the facts. I’m not saying that I’d rather have Appleton, just that everyone is getting far too carried away with NJ. 
    No. No. Get with the programme @jimmymelrose. How did one poster put it, Appleton "has blood on his hands!" 🤣 He  was crap from day one and that good start didn't shake anyone's belief that he was a disaster, not even after the Reading home game. I'll brook no argument about it. A feeble attempt to rewrite history as it truly was 😉

Seriously though, Appleton eventually did more than enough to justify the scepticism on his initial appointment, and thanks to him, we are now seeing a reverse 'after the lord mayors show,' syndrome kicking in, if there is such a thing. More importantly, having the fans onside will buy Jones the sort of time needed to really make a positive impact on this club.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Vlog for Cheltenham is up, can be found here: https://youtu.be/9-czHssx5i8?si=vvMeTJokg4Mix5RA

Some subdued reactions from me this time, as I genuinely compromised my voice from my Derby antics, but stuck to the script other than that. 

Hope you enjoy addicks, see you all at the Valley! :)
    The joy of winning. Even sweeter when it’s away. 
    Absolutely lovely stuff Sir. Without sounding arrogant, I was genuinely quite confident we would win this so my jubilation wasn't quite Derby away. 

I'm saving my steam for Cambridge away. Really looking forward to that one.

Also buzzing to find out it's looking like I can now attend every other game. 

Gutted not to do the 46/46. I missed Peterborough, Lincoln and Pompey at home, plus Northampton and Bolton away. 5 of the 46 missed. 

Poxy work, will aim to do it next season.
  • Options
    Bring behind the goal, whether at away grounds or in the Covered End, does give you a much poorer view of the overall game than being on the side, where the main TV camera (and my regular Curbs stand seat) are. 

Both of the goals in the Northampton game, plus the first 2 on Tuesday were at the other end to the away section, so I saw very little of them, especially as like many lower league grounds, the Cheltenham floodlights weren't as good as those at The Valley. Got a great view of our 2 late goals though!
    I didn't even realise we'd score the first, I didn't have my glasses on either but it is hard to tell from behind the goal and far away.

I quite enjoy sitting west upper, the atmosphere is poor but you get a real good view of the game. I sort of get my matchday experience away and treat homes as a sort of rest game 😂
  • Options
    Bring behind the goal, whether at away grounds or in the Covered End, does give you a much poorer view of the overall game than being on the side, where the main TV camera (and my regular Curbs stand seat) are. 

Both of the goals in the Northampton game, plus the first 2 on Tuesday were at the other end to the away section, so I saw very little of them, especially as like many lower league grounds, the Cheltenham floodlights weren't as good as those at The Valley. Got a great view of our 2 late goals though!
    Not sure i agree with this - I sit in the north upper and have a great view of whats going on - i think its more to do with height than whether down the side or behind the goal - when i (rarely) sit where my dad sits - between the directors box and dug outs - i haven't got a clue how the game is panning out tactically in comparison.   
  • Options
    supaclive said:

Sat, 21 Oct

Sat, 7 Oct
    Tue, 3 Oct
    September, 2023
    Sat, 30 Sep
    Sat, 23 Sep
    Sat, 16 Sep

Sat, 2 Sep
    2 - 1FTEnglish League On
    Geunine wow moment
    Small is Jones' man
    Ramsey is Jones' man

Jones wins that

Look at Tennai Watson
    Look at Karoy Anderson
    Look at Daniel Kanu

Unbeaten in 6
    Didn't win in 15

You can't see that?
    We’re getting off the point here. ’Unbeaten in 6 v didn’t win in 15’ is just comparing unlike for unlike. And no-one was ’Appleton’s man’ because unlike Jones he was head coach and didn’t ultimately decide who to sign.
    I agree that NJ has improved our two young players, something Appleton was incapable of.

I put a league table comparing statistics which are fact and yet still you find a want to argue against it. That’s a ’genuine wow moment.’
    Obviously I’m in a minority in not seeing everything black and white, but just look at the results and read my post properly. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    supaclive said:

Sat, 21 Oct

Sat, 7 Oct
    Tue, 3 Oct
    September, 2023
    Sat, 30 Sep
    Sat, 23 Sep
    Sat, 16 Sep

Sat, 2 Sep
    2 - 1FTEnglish League On
    Geunine wow moment
    Small is Jones' man
    Ramsey is Jones' man

Jones wins that

Look at Tennai Watson
    Look at Karoy Anderson
    Look at Daniel Kanu

Unbeaten in 6
    Didn't win in 15

You can't see that?
    We’re getting off the point here. ’Unbeaten in 6 v didn’t win in 15’ is just comparing unlike for unlike. And no-one was ’Appleton’s man’ because unlike Jones he was head coach and didn’t ultimately decide who to sign.
    I agree that NJ has improved our two young players, something Appleton was incapable of.

I put a league table comparing statistics which are fact and yet still you find a want to argue against it. That’s a ’genuine wow moment.’
    Obviously I’m in a minority in not seeing everything black and white, but just look at the results and read my post properly. 
    Glad you pointed that out as some seem to think it's your opinion, which I find very odd. I did read your post properly, and agreed with it. The only opinion you gave, save for expressing the view that it was early to judge based on the comparative starts of the managers, and Apples was more like promotion form in points won from his first seven, a fact, was that we're greatly improved under Jones. Is that a silly opinion or not that of an adult as has been thrown back at you?
  • Options
    Great Vlog Brazilliance, hope you're going to do plenty more this season.
    Also good to see you with Jason W, enjoy his vlogs as well!
  • Options
    Sorry mean't Josh not Jason!
  • Options
    Great Vlog Brazilliance, hope you're going to do plenty more this season.
    Also good to see you with Jason W, enjoy his vlogs as well!
    Fortunately I'll now be at every game unless an emergency happens. Will probably make the last home and away games quite long vlogs. Tbh I am already thinking about what I'm gonna do when the season is over, imagine I'll feel quite lost 😂

Yeah Josh is a good lad, so are all his mates who regularly feature on his vlog. 

Matt also got on who's sort of Cheltenham resident vlogger, but truth be told, I was most excited at Nick Jordan getting on, a really interesting character and you could tell he loved reflecting on his footballing days, we spoke more off camera. It's amazing doing this though as you speak to people you otherwise wouldn't. 

Anywho, glad you enjoyed mate.
  • Options
    Excellent post @MuttleyCAFC.
  • Options
    It’s plainly obvious the improvement in every players performances since NJ has arrived. That can’t be denied. Officially none of the players are those NJ signed although Ramsay and Small certainly have more than a whiff of his involvement.

@jimmymelrose was against NJ’s appointment and thought Appleton deserved more time so has an agenda. 
  • Options
    Enjoyed your latest video @Braziliance, always look forward to them. Keep them coming!