Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Cheltenham Town vs Charlton Athletic: Tuesday 5th March 2024 KO 19:45

Comments

• Options
    The best thing about us getting Appleton is that we will never have to endure him ever again.
    That's what Blackpool supporters thought  :#
  • Options
    edited March 6
    I don't know, but it is a possibility Appleton signed up to playing in a certain way and Jones, given our position, was able to do it his way to a greater extent. If that is right, there is no question Scott will have been undermined to a certain extent. It will be interesting to see what happens in the Summer as if we carry on like we are, Jones will be in quite a powerful position IMO.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    REG looked excellent! Alongside Coventry, they are so incisive with the ball. 

Kanu played well too and an excellent finish.

A few improvements next season (especially upgrading from Isted) and it could be an exciting one.
    Agree - we need a good GK 
  • Options
    edited March 6
    JamesSeed said:
    Woeful finishing first half which could have cost us and the defence looked iffy at times. However, a win is a win and we would have lost that pre NJ. Thought Karoy could have done with a rest tonight with the shifts he’s put in in recent weeks and if Camera was fit he might have got it but with Bakinson the only real option I can see why NJ stuck with Anderson. Small was outstanding, carry that on for the rest of the season and we need to tie him to a longer deal. REG too, looking very assured and composed so let’s hope he’s ok. Coventry is now living up to the hype, very assured performance. Kanu and May both put in a shift although Alfie’s finishing was very off. Daniel took his goal well. Dobbo had an off day, overshadowed by Coventry. Thought Gillesphey and Thomas were ok. Watson is improving but think long term Ramsay will be the answer.

One downside was Isted. Responsible for two dropped points on Saturday, was at fault for their goal tonight, should have easily held on to that shot. If we have ambitions of top six next season we need better than him or AMB.
    Bit harsh, Large? Don’t get that at all. Anderson was dire (after several great performances) and Bakinson was exactly the sort of player to come on and steady the ship. 
    He took his goal really well, and I think he’s got into a goal scoring positions in every game he’s played in, so well deserved. He’s not flashy but he’s reliable imho.
    I’m now worried we’ll lose Small in the summer. He looks a level above. 
    With Small, REG, Jones, Gillesphey and Ramsay/Watson we have what might well develop into a very solid defence under NJ. Coventry is improving with every game and I’m less worried about losing Dobson now. 
    There was a 25 minute period in the second half which I thought was the worst we’d played under Jones (since Reading), but it looked like the players knew how massively important it was not to lose, and got very nervous. 
    Hopefully we’ll see an upturn in performance now we’re easing away from the relegation zone?

Hope we rest young Anderson on Saturday. He just needs a rest. 
    I just don’t rate Bakinson, sorry. How can we lose Small in the summer? We have a 1 year option. Worst case we take it up and he leaves on a free in June 2025.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Woeful finishing first half which could have cost us and the defence looked iffy at times. However, a win is a win and we would have lost that pre NJ. Thought Karoy could have done with a rest tonight with the shifts he’s put in in recent weeks and if Camera was fit he might have got it but with Bakinson the only real option I can see why NJ stuck with Anderson. Small was outstanding, carry that on for the rest of the season and we need to tie him to a longer deal. REG too, looking very assured and composed so let’s hope he’s ok. Coventry is now living up to the hype, very assured performance. Kanu and May both put in a shift although Alfie’s finishing was very off. Daniel took his goal well. Dobbo had an off day, overshadowed by Coventry. Thought Gillesphey and Thomas were ok. Watson is improving but think long term Ramsay will be the answer.

One downside was Isted. Responsible for two dropped points on Saturday, was at fault for their goal tonight, should have easily held on to that shot. If we have ambitions of top six next season we need better than him or AMB.
    Bit harsh, Large? Don’t get that at all. Anderson was dire (after several great performances) and Bakinson was exactly the sort of player to come on and steady the ship. 
    He took his goal really well, and I think he’s got into a goal scoring positions in every game he’s played in, so well deserved. He’s not flashy but he’s reliable imho.
    With Small, REG, Jones, Gillesphey and Ramsay/Watson we have what might well develop into a very solid defence under NJ. Coventry is improving with every game and I’m less worried about losing Dobson now. 
    There was a 25 minute period in the second half which I thought was the worst we’d played under Jones (since Reading), but it looked like the players knew how massively important it was not to lose, and got very nervous. 
    Hopefully we’ll see an upturn in performance now we’re easing away from the relegation zone?

I just don’t rate Bakinson, sorry. How can we lose Small in the summer? We have a 1 year option. We case we take it up and he leave on a free in June 2025.
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t both parties have to agree to trigger the extension? 
  • Options
    Scrappy game but I feel more comfortable when we just hoof it and only try and play deep in the oppo half - will be interesting to see what style NJ tries to implement next season but I really hope we don’t start passing it around the back / passing it out from the keeper and also hope we keep two up top - winning football will do me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

I just don’t rate Bakinson, sorry. How can we lose Small in the summer? We have a 1 year option. Worst case we take it up and he leaves on a free in June 2025.
    Fair enough, but I think you have to admit he was better that Karoy yesterday, and we looked more solid after he came on. Horses for courses, an’ all that. 
    I rate Karoy btw, but he’s still young, and as such is bound to be inconsistent to some extent. 
  • Options
    edited March 6
  • Options
    edited March 6
    Glad we didn't park the bus after the 71st minute.
  • Options

• Options
    Really enjoyed that last night. Last game I was at was Reading away and last night was just chalk and cheese with that one. Seeing all of our players bar none busting a gut throughout the game was something to behold. I can see why we’ve been on this run as NJ has brought energy, intensity, belief and clearly everyone knows what they should be doing.  Great to see the robust challenges going in and clearly at this level refs don’t penalise too much. I don’t think 3-1 flattered us at all as we really should have been out of sight by half time. There were a few iffy moments in defence but we dominated for large chunks of the game. Watson, Small, Coventry, Kanu - all outstanding. And how nice to capitalise on a gift from the opposition for once. If we can keep up this intensity there’s no reason why we can’t finish the season strongly.

Chuks who?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    LenGlover said:
    First task is to pick up 3 or 4 more wins to guarantee safety. second task to finish above 14th which is where we finished in 1973/74. Our worst season statistically since World War 2.
    Since a long time before that Len. We were in the top flight before and after WW2. 
    True but in the 20s and early 30s we were in the 3rd tier bar one season I think. We had to seek reelection in 1925/26 (I think but could be a year either side).

We played above the 3rd tier consecutively for 27 years after World War 2 until 1972 and then consecutively again for another 28 years after 1981. Between 1972 and 1981 we had 4 seasons in the 3rd tier. Since 2009 we've had a whole lot more 3rd tier football and much of it has been crap but we've not finished below 14th despite that.

Just writing the above rubs in how low we have fallen and has depressed me.

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    JamesSeed said:
    LenGlover said:
    First task is to pick up 3 or 4 more wins to guarantee safety. second task to finish above 14th which is where we finished in 1973/74. Our worst season statistically since World War 2.
    Since a long time before that Len. We were in the top flight before and after WW2. 
    True but in the 20s and early 30s we were in the 3rd tier bar one season I think. We had to seek reelection in 1925/26 (I think but could be a year either side).

We played above the 3rd tier consecutively for 27 years after World War 2 until 1972 and then consecutively again for another 28 years after 1981. Between 1972 and 1981 we had 4 seasons in the 3rd tier. Since 2009 we've had a whole lot more 3rd tier football and much of it has been crap but we've not finished below 14th despite that.

Just writing the above rubs in how low we have fallen and has depressed me.

Yes re-elected after finishing 21st out of 22 in 1925/26. Got promoted in 28/29.

Dropped back down for the 33/34 & 34/35 season. First season in the third tier after that was 72/73.

• Options
    edited March 6
    BalladMan said:
    INTO THE PLAYOFF PLACES (based on past 6 game form table)

WHat is worthy of note is that we have played 3 of the teams above us within those 6 games.

A great result all towards an upwards trajectory. Pretty sure that is we extrapolate NJ's PPG over a full season we are finishing just outside the play-offs.

I have confidence that he will get more wins than draws next season. The play-offs are a possible. All depends whether we strengthen again. Still some weaknesses, but so does every team in this third tier.

People say we have our Charlton back. I've watched Charlton since the 70s and very rarely have we been a team of world beaters. Nobody ever really joined the Charlton bus as a glory hunter, did they??

What I want is a team that tries hard, entertains and when I wear my shirts with pride (I always have), people stop and say, "good footballing side you support."

Come on NJ, let's steal the Trump slogan and 'Make Charlton Great Again' 
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    We should be thankful to Appleton, you know. If he hadn’t been so inept, we would never have got Nathan Jones. 

As someone who wasnt sold on NJ as the replacement, I am happy to hold my hands up and say that he was the saviour all along to get us out of that toxic relationship

Brilliant  :D
  • Options
    I have for a while gelt the way forward for us is pragmatic football.  At this level, it is definitely the way to go. Work harder than them, kick them harder than they kick you and if you have better players, you will beat them.
    Agree with much of that. One of the most pleasing things for me from the past couple of weeks is the opposing managers and fans moaning about us kicking their players, shit housing tactics etc 

Good. I want opposing teams to hate playing against us. Dislike our players, get under their skin and wind them up. For too long we've been too nice.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    We are not mathematically safe.
    Don’t count chickens.
    You mean ’don’t count eggs’
     Chickens before they’re hatched. Not eggs. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    We are not mathematically safe.
    Don’t count chickens.
    You mean ’don’t count eggs’
     Chickens before they’re hatched. Not eggs. 
    Don't put all yer chickens in one basket...
  • Options
    edited March 6
    An emotional night for Alfie May. His reaction to scoring the 3rd goal felt a bit like the Dennis Law goal for City that sent United down, and after the final whistle he was doubled up for quite a while, as if we had just lost a cup final or been relegated.

I think he would have preferred it if Small has lashed it in himself  :)
    They must have seen the size of your todger.