Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Cheltenham Town vs Charlton Athletic: Tuesday 5th March 2024 KO 19:45

Comments

• Options
    edited March 6
    I have been critical of Watson but he has made massive strides in the last few games. Not perfect as maybe he was lucky not to give away a penalty and lost his man in the build up to their goal but he is getting to a good place.

Agreed, was very critical with him after the Reading game, but clearly just needed a decent manager to get the best out of him, long may it continue.
  • Options
    We are not mathematically safe.
    Don’t count chickens.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Don’t count chickens.
    But we are in good form and winning any way we can. 

Chill out a little bit...
  • Options
    They will chase us for season tickets soon enough.
  • Options
    INTO THE PLAYOFF PLACES (based on past 6 game form table)

• Options
    Great win in the end although we did make hard work of it!

Peak league one football for the first 20 odd mins with the ball spending more time flying between the half's, not a lot of quality on show, we had it going forward in patches them not so much at all. A moment of football and a lovely passing move and its 0-1 us, sadly that was a bit of a wake up call for Cheltenham who realised they were in a relegation battle and came at us very direct, dropping plenty of balls in the box (and who can blame them, do what must be done for the win). For the remainder of the second half it was almost end to end stuff, we wasted so so so many chances we all knew the script....

Second half and it was much of the same as how the first ended, Cheltenham had a better hold of it and our defence was looking a bit ropey. Subs had an impact and a nice little run through (3?) of ours and Cheltenham drew level, wasnt a surprise and was coming, we desperately needed fresh legs in there and it was looking dicey, BUT, we made our changes and reaped the rewards ourselves, Bakinson and eventually (FINALLY) May wrapping it up. 

It wasnt pretty, it wasnt convincing (in reality scoreline flattered), but thats the sort of game that we used to roll over and have our tummies tickled, we heard it in the post match after Northampton that we're playing like a side "trying to avoid relegation" and, long may that continue. 

Jones has shown enough in the past and with glimpses from our current squad (Coventry in particular) that he can get teams and players playing but this is league one, Adkins and many other managers have said it before about the blueprint for success in this league and with Jones, can see that happening.  Get the effort and work rate down first then in between the grittier stuff have your Coventry's etc playing ball. 

Special mention to T Watson who again, has looked a vastly different player under Jones and loves that low pull back/ drive across the box cross ,and, he 100% got away with one haha

Extra special mention to Small, again, said it after Northampton, but get a longer contract in front of our new Wiggins. ASAP.

Extra extra special mention to Jones, proving what an actual good coach can do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 6
    How did the 3-1 scoreline flatter Cafc when we had enough chances 1st half to be 4 nil up after the Douglas Bader display of the 1st 17 minutes by both teams before the simplistic approach of getting the ball down by Dobson and Coventry with text book pass to Watson who just passed the ball from the right into the Six yard box and Kanu applied the touch. 
  • Options
    Absolutely huge result as it opens up a big gap between us, Cheltenham and Port Vale, and takes some of the pressure off. Wins against Carlisle and Fleetwood should nudge us very close to safety, even allowing for the fact that we have played more games. Points on the board are critical at this stage of the season.

Such a shame that it took the powers-that-be so long to realise that Appleton was crap.
  • Options
    edited March 6
    Morning after the night before - pre Jones, we would have melted when Cheltenham equalised - but not now - we dusted ourselves off, rolled up our sleeves, and got back on it - ground out the win - brilliant - back to back away wins 😳

Tennai Watson - where has this player been up until recently (perhaps having a decent player in support of him is the reason…..)

Whole side were excellent

Pleased for Alfie - he put so much effort in, but was misfiring a bit in front of goal - but late on gets a nice easy goal after great build up play - he is back on the horse

Small was immense - what a signing 

MoM for me was Kanu - work-rate and general all round play, capped by a classy finish (that was not an easy goal to score believe you me) - gonna be some player this lad
  • Options
    super goal from Bakinson to cement the three points, great long ball from Dobson (what IS it with all the Dobbo criticism ?) chest down, instant control and immediate finish that any striker would be proud of .. all in all another very VERY good all round team performance, with a caveat over the goalkeeping that needs to be addressed in the summer .. my fears around the Jones appointment are laid to rest, humble pie time  :'( but all in all  :)
  • Options
    Amazing (as in the sad reality of Appleton) that we are in mid table, one position below a team that have 6 more wins than us.
  • Options
    Never in doubt.

Yeh, right. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Don’t count chickens.
    He’s off again 😉
  • Options
    A really good all round team performance.

The youngsters are really shining,
    The defence looks a lot better and steadier.
    A nice weighted guidance from Kanu for the first goal.
    A lovely, lovely pass from Dobbo for Bakinson’s goal.
    Thierry Small a stand-out signing and wonderfully selflessly passing to Alfie for his well-deserved goal (however, I can’t help but think that the Alfie of earlier this season would have put us 3-up by halftime).

I think Dobbos lovely lovely pass was more an inspired punt, but what Bakinson did with it was the equal of anything Chuks or Leaburn could conjure.
    Not so sure. Dobbo has that pass in his locker.
    Where it is usually locked away. Most of his passing is woeful. Not saying he doesn’t have a good side to his game but he’s not the go-to guy for incisive passes. 
  • Options
    I feel sorry for Thomas. He's a very solid CB defensively but he is just so crap on the ball that you can't see him ever nailing down a starting spot going forward.
  • Options
    We really must address the GK situation in the summer. Isted always has an error in him. For last nights goal conceded the original shot on goal was virtually no more than a pass strength attempt that was put in when it wasn’t held by Isted. Not good enough. We need GK who inspires confidence. Neither of our two do. 
    Agree and would be interested to see a replay of their goal from another angle.
  • Options
    If Isted had done that, without Saturday, I doubt there would have been a comment
  • Options
    I did wonder if it got a touch off Jones, if so, then I'm not going to join the pile on 
  • Options
    BalladMan said:
    INTO THE PLAYOFF PLACES (based on past 6 game form table)

WHat is worthy of note is that we have played 3 of the teams above us within those 6 games.
    Also worth notigg by that of the other 3 teams who have not lost a game in that period we have played 2 of them!