Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POST-MATCH THREAD: Cheltenham Town vs Charlton Athletic: Tuesday 5th March 2024 KO 19:45

Comments

• Options
    Sorry but going to be critical of NJ.

Young Corey had an absolute nightmare tonight.  His passing was just awful. He should have been taken off at least 20 minutes before he was. And as soon as Bakinson came on things improved.

Huge shout outs to Small - his fitness and athletism was unreal tonight. Sign him up now please - Coventry and Tennai Watson - considering he is playing with an injury he was very good.

Hopefully we are nearly safe now.
    I agree... BUT that's probably the first decision that you could call as a real mistake. And given how well Anderson has done recently I don't think anyone expected him to drop off quite so dramatically.

Jones gets much much more right than wrong. I'm sure he'll be as disappointed as anyone that it didn't work out on this occasion.
  • Options
    Deserved the win but looked like we might have blown it. Was never going to be easy and they do what they do well. Happy with that.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Sorry but going to be critical of NJ.

Young Corey had an absolute nightmare tonight.  His passing was just awful. He should have been taken off at least 20 minutes before he was. And as soon as Bakinson came on things improved.

Huge shout outs to Small - his fitness and athletism was unreal tonight. Sign him up now please - Coventry and Tennai Watson - considering he is playing with an injury he was very good.

Hopefully we are nearly safe now.
    100% - anderson he had an absolute shocker and looks like he needs a rest - he's been a big part of the recovery over the last few weeks but last couple of games virtually every pass has been off  
    Agree he looks tired. Problem is we do not have anybody else who can play at 10 with that energy and grit (and skill). Alfie could but with Aneke out injured again that would mean all our 3 fit strikers on the pitch from the getgo. Interesting to see what happens against Carlisle but my guess is NJ will stick with Anderson.
  • Options
    Darenth said:
    Alfie didn't seem to know what to do with himself when he scored!
    he’s a better man than me. As soon as I heard the boos I would’ve given it bigguns after scoring 
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    sounded like a whistle blew when Thierry Small snuck in to take the ball off defender and slip May in for the third
    May got booked after Bakinson’s goal for going into the crowd. 

I think the ref blew his whistle as soon as the third went in, to remind May not to do it again.
  • Options
    Did anyone see NJ’s interview on Charlton tv afterwards? He had smoke pouring out of him, like a Welsh dragon.
    I only had audio but he sounds passionate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3 Great points and should have scored more first half.
    Just think how good May could be if he did not miss out on so many chances. 
    superb substitutions in the second half from NJ
    paid off in the end.
    COYR we want 6 on Saturday 🤣🤣👍👍
  • Options
    edited March 5
    Get in, great win at a place we normally play crap and get nothing! Good to see May get his goal, could have bagged a hat trick but happy to get three points and up to 14th. A few more wins and we will be safe. 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Think Tennai Watson is starting to look a really decent player. Wonderful assist tonight and he controlled that right side really well. Think having had REG behind him has really helped. He and Small have been excellent on this run.
    Definitely improved going forward but not convinced about his defending yet - watch his half arsed defending in the run up to the Cheltenham goal.
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Get in, great win at a place we normally play crap! Good to see May get his goal, could have bagged a hat trick but happy to get three points and up to 14th. A few more wins and we will be safe. 
    I would say we're safe now.  
  • Options
    I think after tonight that the current bottom 4 will be the 4 that go down 
    Maybe....... but there's still a lot of games to be played. There's the '6-pointers'... many teams in the bottom half still have to play each other - and they can't both win.

Still time for a Fleetwood, Port Vale, Cheltenham to escape or a team to free fall into trouble. 
  • Options
    PWR the match thread. Does Alfie May’s booking (presumably for trapping off) now mean that he’s banned for two matches?  
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Don’t like the sound of Chuks having picked up a little something. Chuks doesn’t do little somethings.
    Sounds like he's popped down Tesco to buy a cake to share around the dressing room.
    That’s nice 🥸
    Solidgone said:
    Don’t like the sound of Chuks having picked up a little something. Chuks doesn’t do little somethings.
    Sounds like he's popped down Tesco to buy a cake to share around the dressing room.
    That’s nice 🥸
       He’s got the Cake for NJ 🎂👍👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Pretty scrappy but we really should be OK now. Small is a great addition, played really well again. Also Coventry, REG (who I've changed my mind about as he has improved with appearances), Gillesphey and Watson. That was my last stream I fear. Living away from London but still an addick. COYR.
  • Options
    I thought it was a good win and well deserved.   
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Think Tennai Watson is starting to look a really decent player. Wonderful assist tonight and he controlled that right side really well. Think having had REG behind him has really helped. He and Small have been excellent on this run.
    We've got some good competition starting to build now.

Watson and Ramsey competing for the right wing back.
    Jones, REG, Gillesphey, Hector and Thomas for centre back.
    Small and Edun left wing back.
    Coventry and Anderson central midfield. Even better if we can possibly keep Dobson.
    Leaburn, May and Kanu up front. Aneke too, if he is fit.

I still feel we need to strengthen at Goalkeeper and Attacking midfield. They're my priorities in the Summer.

jury out on Terry Taylor but the fact that he's not getting a look in under NJ says a lot.
  • Options
    What a scrappy game! As someone else said we could have won 6-1 or lost it! Coventry and Watson need shooting for their goal,,,but ironically, both have made a difference since NJ's arrival as manager. Nice finish by Kanu. Next year, I don't want Isted in goal. 
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    We can play with no fear against Carlisle now. I really think as a club and squad they’ll be looking at top half now and thinking that’s the target. Northampton are 12th and they conceded 5 tonight.

If we can show prospective players that we’re on that upward trajectory we suddenly become a lot more attractive.
    Exactly that, also having a manager like NJ can only be a plus. 
  • Options
    edited March 5
    Damp Tuesday in Cheltenham, come away with a 1-3 win.
    Some positives - Small is f***in mustard being one.
    Some criticism - Isted not making a better job of dealing with initial shot before their goal being one.

But, it is what it is, 3 points away from home.

Bring on Crewe on Saturday 💪 👏 
  • Options
    Was at Northampton  Saturday we were miles ahead but got a point ! Today we were poor second half but got the win !! Maybe evens out !?? But we look so different to Micky Apples side  NJ is the Messiah !!!