Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jones' press conference

Comments

• He was as agitated as hell and fair play to be. He is working his socks off to instil a high tempo, front footed and defensively solid team capable of competing within the top 6.

Conceding two goals to an arguably lesser quality side would have left him miffed, but more-so the scrappiness of our passing for most of the game and the tempo being lower than in the other games I have seen this season.

The 30 yarder can happen, but the nature of the second, he was right, was not good enough while we were impotent in front of goal. 

He gives a sh*t, plain and simple, and when the things he expects least to be done aren’t, he is an honest man who wears his heart on his sleeve and shows what that means and how he is feeling inside. 

I suspect our players’ ears were ringing afterward and I do hope we get to play come Saturday, as I am sure he will strongly influence the right reaction. 

Early, early days, but no doubting what NJ wants and expects, which is aligned with what we want. 👏👏
    Fully agree with every word! 👏
  • Flay the barstards alive. Disembowel them and roast their gizzards on a red hot brazier. Maroon the lilley livered swabs on a remote nuclear atoll. Keel haul the landlubbers then show what the cat o ninetails can do these weevil infested doxys...

HMS Piss The League is becalmed.
  • He was as agitated as hell and fair play to be. He is working his socks off to instil a high tempo, front footed and defensively solid team capable of competing within the top 6.

Conceding two goals to an arguably lesser quality side would have left him miffed, but more-so the scrappiness of our passing for most of the game and the tempo being lower than in the other games I have seen this season.

The 30 yarder can happen, but the nature of the second, he was right, was not good enough while we were impotent in front of goal. 

He gives a sh*t, plain and simple, and when the things he expects least to be done aren’t, he is an honest man who wears his heart on his sleeve and shows what that means and how he is feeling inside. 

I suspect our players’ ears were ringing afterward and I do hope we get to play come Saturday, as I am sure he will strongly influence the right reaction. 

Early, early days, but no doubting what NJ wants and expects, which is aligned with what we want. 👏👏
    Yeah. Well said. This guy feels it as much as us fans. It's unusual... and that understandably makes people feel uncomfortable... but I'll absolutely take it. 

Mad how it's the polar opposite to Appleton's way.
  • Stig said:
    Frankly, I wish there wasn't an expectation for managers to give post-match interviews. What purpose does it really serve? I'd much rather the club (and the first-team manager is probably the most important person in this) gave a bit more thought to its communications rather than this knee-jerk reaction stuff to every match. I realise that it's convenient because the manager, cameras and comms team are all there in pace. I also know that we all (and I'm right up there in this) have a, sometimes morbid, fascination in what's going on, but I really think it has the potential to do more harm than good. I want our manager to have just one thing to think about in a post match situation and that's, what can he do in the here and now to deliver an improved performance in the future. If doing a public interview can help with this, then all well and good. But in this and many other cases I wonder if it has the potential to do more harm than good. Yesterday's one was a case in point.

That said, I was very pleased with Sean Dyche's interview for Everton yesterday. Listening to their fans going into one about their performance and his post match comments was funny and helped put our defeat into perspective.   
    Agreed and have thought this ever since Bowyer started going into meltdown and was being interviewed straight after another defeat.
  • edited September 2
    Jones is doing a good job and we shouldn't panic and maybe the rant will work for him seeing a lot of the players are his players. I think the result on Saturday was like a coin toss but so was Wigan and it fell in our favour that time. If we get the wins at home and win some and lose some away, it will be fine. The turning point of the game was a long distance shot.

We do have a clear issue up front for me though. Well an issue in that it isn't the source of goals that might make more of these coin toss games fall our way. I just don't understand the manager's reaction to two similar performances, Wigan and Reading, where one fell our way and the other didn't. Yes, the second goal was poor but we were chasing the game and that does open you up.

Anyway, I trust Jones and hope when he calms down he can see it wasn't great but also not that bad. To me he has vastly improved the defence and midfield from last season but the attack is weaker. Overall that makes us stronger but this is a tough league, far tougher than last season so we have to hope Leaburn hits the ground running and surely Godden will start our next game.

I don't think Campbell is a failed experiment. He is learning the position and Jones has seen something and that is what he is good at. I have seen some glimpses of it too. But ideally he should be learning on loan somewhere IMO. Ahadme hasn't played well enough and it is fair enough to observe that I think but we shouldn't write him off. He did have an injury in pre-season which might have held him back but we are on a forum and have to call what we see, surely. Ideally with Ahadme, you would try to build his confidence by subbing him on against tiring defenders at this stage, but the fact that is difficult, highlights a problem with our squad, despite not being short of strikers.
  • edited September 2
    J BLOCK said:
    Loved his reaction
    Me too. I thought he came across full of passion, something we've missed since Bow and Powell went. (Luzon aside as he was just a lunatic)

Jones was spot on, that first goal was fantastic, not much you can do about those (mistake leading up to it aside) but the second we were at 6's and 7's.

Fully agree with every word! 👏
    Same here...
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:
    interesting that it wasn’t cut out after Terry’s Q’s like normal and that the (Sky?) reporters Q’s about Potts were left in 
  • Other than the illnesses last weekend I wonder what the other issues were that he alluded to in the run up to the Reading game that affected the squad?
  • Other than the illnesses last weekend I wonder what the other issues were that he alluded to in the run up to the Reading game that affected the squad?
    Only thing I can think of is less than ideal travel arrangements beforehand?
  • I mean Reading is hardly the other end of the country?
  • I assumed from what Jones said they ate lunch later than planned, so possibly arrived later than planned as well.
  • Indigestion can screw with the very best form and game plan  ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Great that Josh Edwards is back in training.

We of little faith:
    There we were thinking we would see Josh at the end of November because of past longevity of Injuries at CAFC but Edwards was back training today under a month proving Nathan correct when he said it would be weeks and with the injury happening on 17th August NJ was correct.

Lovely that NJ has praised his name sake Lloyd, who is a good, born again league 1 defender so far this season after his wobbly games of 23/24 season.
  • Great that Josh Edwards is back in training.

We of little faith:
    There we were thinking we would see Josh at the end of November because of past longevity of Injuries at CAFC but Edwards was back training today under a month proving Nathan correct when he said it would be weeks and with the injury happening on 17th August NJ was correct.

Lovely that NJ has praised his name sake Lloyd, who is a good, born again league 1 defender so far this season after his wobbly games of 23/24 season.
    I think Jones has been excellent in some games but has made errors.  I think born again is generous.
  • clive said:
    Do we play any other form of games other than football games?
  • If we play Leaburn and Dixon for some of the match it becomes something worth watching. If Leaburn does a half, no reason he can't do minutes on Friday too surely.
  • If we play Leaburn and Dixon for some of the match it becomes something worth watching. If Leaburn does a half, no reason he can't do minutes on Friday too surely.
    Really hope Dixon plays. Reckon it's too early for Leaburn after already playing recently.
  • I don’t think we’ll see either of them tonight. Between them only one has played for the u21s and that was half a game. Jones appears to be taking it seriously with a strong u21 team playing yesterday, other than those in the first team squad who are eligible.
  • Would be disappointed Dixon doesn't get a runout, it's a nothing game 
  • We've got a fairly big and fit, at present, first team squad, already out the league cup there's a lot of bodies who need minutes, might be refreshing to have a stronger team for these matches for once. If the injuries start mounting up then fair enough name a weaker team but we're not in that position at present and not in the 2 games a week stage at present.
  • The big question is will Terry Taylor play?