Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jones' press conference

Comments

• I didn't think we played all that badly. Not great but not terrible. The biggest problem was being a bit toothless in attack. In the first half they were more dominant, but I thought we defended well which is ok away. We were better in the second half but the ref missing a handball and a 30 yard shot which I don't blame the keeper for is what did for us. Campbell is still learning the position and I am still not sure about Ahadme. 

Maybe Jones was refering to key players being unwell and the preperation being affected. 
  • Curtis Fleming needs to sooth and support Nathan Jones.
  • Slagging off your keeper is plain wrong. I think calling out individuals, 'loses the dressing room '.

Bad move Nathan. BTW Nathan, Alfie would have been on the end of one of those early second half crosses. 
  • He said the keepers position for the first goal wasn't good. An unnecessary public comment imo. 
  • He's under no obligation to do interviews when we lose .probably better to wait a couple of hours and see a bit of perspective 
  • lolwray said:
    He's under no obligation to do interviews when we lose .probably better to wait a couple of hours and see a bit of perspective 
    Agreed. He seems the sort of manager that maybe it is best not to when he loses. 
  • Frustration also from the transfer window I reckon. 
  • Sponsored links:

• It’s interesting that this thread has turned a little towards looking at Nathan’s demeanour and body language in that post match interview. Of course he would have been disappointed and maybe even angry. I was disappointed too but his body language seemed to be way beyond what you’d normally expect wasn’t it ? He was physically agitated and unable to look at the camera, hardly finished a sentence without moving on to the next. Way too much anger seething below the surface. Hes without doubt an emotional and driven man but the more I think about that interview the more it worries me. 
    I would be more worried if I was interviewing him especially if we go through a sticky run of results 
  • It's ok to be angry but once he gets back in the dressing room he needs to temper how he communicates it.  Although Curbs never through his toys out of the pram, he did have Keith and Mervyn to put an arm around players and Curtis needs to play this role,

Fortunately he has brought in players who know him, so they hopefully will be able to give context to the other players. This cant be the first time he has been like this and still they want to play for him.

I do recall though that his press conferences with Southampton were not all rose's and sweetness but aggressive and mixed with an edge of paranoia. 
  • Bring back the calm, unflappable Michael Appleton
    Please no but there is a middle ground. 
  • Bring back the calm, unflappable Michael Appleton
    Can we put him ‘in the cage’ in the west stand car park, I’m sure one or two of our fans would like to say a proper goodbye.
  • edited September 1
    Is Jones, our version of the ‘Fergie Hairdryer?’
  • lolwray said:
    He's under no obligation to do interviews when we lose .probably better to wait a couple of hours and see a bit of perspective 
    Is that right? I thought managers were obliged to give interviews?
  • lolwray said:
    Is that right? I thought managers were obliged to give interviews?
    Think that is only to Sky when live on TV. 
  • That would make sense
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 1
    He said the keepers position for the first goal wasn't good. An unnecessary public comment imo. 
    Agree, I thought he couldn't do any more for the goal, it was a long range hit and hoper, and he saw it late, on any other day it would have sailed wide...
  • lolwray said:
    That’s probably a good philosophy, for those who post directly after a defeat on the post match thread.
  • He said the keepers position for the first goal wasn't good. An unnecessary public comment imo. 
    Agree, I thought he couldn't do any more for the goal, it was a long range hit and hoper, and he saw it late, on any other day it would have sailed wide...
    I’m not sure it was a “hit and hope”, I haven’t seen the replay but at the stadium I thought it was a great strike (and I thought Savage was generally very good). 
  • se9addick said:
    He said the keepers position for the first goal wasn't good. An unnecessary public comment imo. 
    I’m not sure it was a “hit and hope”, I haven’t seen the replay but at the stadium I thought it was a great strike (and I thought Savage was generally very good). 
    Agreed, surprised no one tried to take him off Reading. He's a top end L1 player at least
  • Frankly, I wish there wasn't an expectation for managers to give post-match interviews. What purpose does it really serve? I'd much rather the club (and the first-team manager is probably the most important person in this) gave a bit more thought to its communications rather than this knee-jerk reaction stuff to every match. I realise that it's convenient because the manager, cameras and comms team are all there in pace. I also know that we all (and I'm right up there in this) have a, sometimes morbid, fascination in what's going on, but I really think it has the potential to do more harm than good. I want our manager to have just one thing to think about in a post match situation and that's, what can he do in the here and now to deliver an improved performance in the future. If doing a public interview can help with this, then all well and good. But in this and many other cases I wonder if it has the potential to do more harm than good. Yesterday's one was a case in point.

That said, I was very pleased with Sean Dyche's interview for Everton yesterday. Listening to their fans going into one about their performance and his post match comments was funny and helped put our defeat into perspective.   
  • He seems to be angry about the build up...perhaps method/timing of travel and when made a reference to when they ate their pre-match meal. 
  • I get the frustration but a worryingly unstable interview from our man at the helm. What happened to don't let the highs be too high and the lows too low?
  • Ferryman said:
    I get the frustration but a worryingly unstable interview from our man at the helm. What happened to don't let the highs be too high and the lows too low?
    He’s not Curbs … simple as that 
  • May be he's pissed off that someone keeps scoring for Brum.