Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• They also seem to play and communicate well together. We talk about footballers creating relationships on the pitch, surely it’s similar for opening batters
  • fenaddick said:
    They also seem to play and communicate well together. We talk about footballers creating relationships on the pitch, surely it’s similar for opening batters
    Another plus is that one of them is a six foot 4 right handed batsman. 
    The other a short arsed left handed batsman. 
    When they are playing well it makes it very hard for bowler's to get their line and length right. 
    Fingers crossed they do the business against the Aussies. 
  • Stupid shot from Duckett there @blackpool72 😉
  • Duckett doing his best to make Pope's decision-making look ok
  • It isn't getting easier to produce openers either. I watch a lot of youngsters in age group and 2nd XI cricket and despair at how many get out, early doors, playing shots they simply don't need to. I saw one yesterday where a county U18 opener, with barely a run on the board and with four slips an a gully in situ, chased a ball that was so wide that one hand had to come off the bat and was caught. That is a legacy of T20 which does not demand the same level of technique and where being in for a good rather than a long time is the way forward. 
    It's not just the county youngsters. It's internationals in prime batting conditions making unforced errors. That's three now and we are successfully turning, with the tail starting at 8, a 450 plus wicket into something not remotely like that. 
  • Ben Duckett. Wtf. 
  • fenaddick said:
    Stupid shot from Duckett there @blackpool72 😉
    Yep.
    40 not out and batting quite well and he plays a reverse sweep.
    Absolutely no need to play that shot when you are scoring runs and looking set for a big score. 
  • Ben Stokes just walked past on the way to the nets
  • Another restricted view seat in Edrich upper. Half price of others nearby. 
  • Sponsored links:

• 24 overs including one over of spin. Five minutes per over!!!
  • incessant shouting by the Sri Lankans is just NOT cricket
  • Redhenry said:
    Making a lad that clearly isn't confident in his own ability at test level stand in captain seems like a very silly move to me. Give it to Root for the short term whilst Stokes rehabs.
    Yeah but we won the last test
    Yeah but i'd rather Pope focused on his batting. We should be beating Sri Lanka at home regardless of who is captain.
  • Rory Burns of Surrey is having a terrific season, however having been cast out from the England set up, at the age of 34, there is probably no way back
  • Rory Burns of Surrey is having a terrific season, however having been cast out from the England set up, at the age of 34, there is probably no way back
    He would have been a better pick for this series against Sri Lanka than Lawrence that's for sure. 
    He would have been a better pick for this series against Sri Lanka than Lawrence that's for sure. 
    Only if you look at runs in this series in isolation. The reality is we aren't gonna learn anything about Burns we don't already know. He won't be going to the Ashes however well he ddoes. We've learn a lot more about Lawrence than having him in the squad but not playing him, even if it is "he's not an opener".
  • Not the thread for it but my fantasy cricket league is annoying me.

Jordan Cox in England squad so I sold him from my side. England then release him to Essex but who do they replace with him? Noah Thain who is also in my side. So not only do I not get points for Cox o don't get them for Thain.  

Also the one week I decide not to make Porter Captain he takes a 5fer on the first morning 
    I wasn't prepared to pay full prices for either of the Lords Tests this summer with the level of opposition, so for both went for restricted view seats. Very happy with my one today, it's in my favourite stand the Mound, and I can see 90% of the outfield and have a great view of the wicket.
    I wasn't prepared to pay full prices for either of the Lords Tests this summer with the level of opposition, so for both went for restricted view seats. Very happy with my one today, it's in my favourite stand the Mound, and I can see 90% of the outfield and have a great view of the wicket.
    Are you here again? We’re in the same seats for Saturday. 
    Are you here again? We’re in the same seats for Saturday. 
    No. Might go on Sunday if it looks interesting 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 29
    Hundred up for Root
  • Roooooot

That period on 99 was a bit tense though  :D
  • Got quite emotional there did Root. I'm sure Thorpe would be proud Joe! 
  • At last, someone batting properly. Go on, Gus!
  • Not sure Pope would get in the Surrey side .I think Lawrence only gets in as he can bowl
  • Great Knock by Atkinson, things were quite tense when he came out, but this partnership has taken the game away from Sri Lanka 
  • Great innings, but that's a shocking shot by Root. So out of contact of this innings, and so unnecessary after such a good partnership with Atkinson.
  • Why? It wasn't broken was it? 
  • Ben Duckett. Wtf. 
    Root. Wtf.
  • Great Knock by Atkinson, things were quite tense when he came out, but this partnership has taken the game away from Sri Lanka 
    He seems to like test cricket. 
    Taken to it like a duck to water.