Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• edited August 29
    Stumps day 1

England 358-7

Atkinson 74 n/o
    Potts 20 n/o

A good recovery from 216-6
  • fenaddick said:
    They also seem to play and communicate well together. We talk about footballers creating relationships on the pitch, surely it’s similar for opening batters
    Another plus is that one of them is a six foot 4 right handed batsman. 
    The other a short arsed left handed batsman. 
    When they are playing well it makes it very hard for bowler's to get their line and length right. 
    Fingers crossed they do the business against the Aussies. 
    This, although I think Crawley may even be a bit taller. I used to laugh when Duckett lined up between Crawley and Broad before matches! And I think Broad is 6'6" - also he was premature at 12 weeks early, so maybe have been even taller
  • Ollie Pope is the worst starter since a Glasgow restaurant served up a deep fried mars bar.
  • edited August 29
    We're going tomorrow.
    It's gonna be a challenge watching the cricket, pissed/half pissed at 6pm trying to buy Oasis tickets in the ballot.
  • We're going tomorrow.
    It's gonna be a challenge watching the cricket, pissed/half pissed at 6pm trying to buy Oasis tickets in the ballot.
    Good luck! How does the ballot work? You either get an email by 5pm tomorrow if you don't. If you do get an email, what then and when?
  • We're going tomorrow.
    Good luck! How does the ballot work? You either get an email by 5pm tomorrow if you don't. If you do get an email, what then and when?
    We don't know. It says you'll get an e mail by 5pm to tell you how to possibly purchase pre sale tickets tomorrow (Friday).

The proper sale starts 9am Saturday, so most likely the pre sale starts sometime around 5pm Friday.
  • We're going tomorrow.
    We don't know. It says you'll get an e mail by 5pm to tell you how to possibly purchase pre sale tickets tomorrow (Friday).

The proper sale starts 9am Saturday, so most likely the pre sale starts sometime around 5pm Friday.
    I'm due to be out tomorrow afternoon and not be able to check my phone for an hour, so wondering whether to change my plans to not miss anything on the off chance!!!
  • We're going tomorrow.

I'm due to be out tomorrow afternoon and not be able to check my phone for an hour, so wondering whether to change my plans to not miss anything on the off chance!!!
    I'm not holding out much hope in the pre sale nor Saturday.
    But I'm optimistic they'll be a further 5 Wembley dates.
  • We're going tomorrow.

agreed but I don't want to miss out if by some remote chance I get an option in the pre-sales. There will certainly be enough wanting tickets, but how booked up is Wembley for more dates?
  • edited August 30
  • Sponsored links:

• We're going tomorrow.

agreed but I don't want to miss out if by some remote chance I get an option in the pre-sales. There will certainly be enough wanting tickets, but how booked up is Wembley for more dates?
    Allegedly 10 dates are available for Wembley.
  • I can think of a certain centrally contracted fast bowler who has played one Test match (with zero wickets) in the last 14 months who Key might be talking about....

• I can think of a certain centrally contracted fast bowler who has played one Test match (with zero wickets) in the last 14 months who Key might be talking about....

Especially if your body looks more like Rob Key than Ben Stokes in the mirror  ;)
  • That ball, bowled as wide as it was, and pitching so far outside off, never looked like hitting. It was England that reviewed it as it was given out, not Sri Lanka as intimated by the commentators.
  • Atkinson can bat and has done tremendously well but it does put the spotlight on those in the top order who gave their wicket up cheaply on this pitch. We won't get away with doing that against India or Australia because the likes of Atkinson and Potts might not be able to rescue us.  

Key also mentioned picking players bowling at 85+, which seems relevant to the same player.

Key also mentioned picking players bowling at 85+, which seems relevant to the same player.
    That didn't stop him picking Robinson before (11 wickets at 25.54 and an ER of 2.64 in Australia is nothing to be sniffed at) although I agree that they are now looking forward to Australia rather than backwards and that comment about Cook being in the "Woakes" category which is rather unfortunate for Cook. Basically, they've decided to throw as many potential real quicks against the wall and see which ones have the raw capability of doing it at international level hence the introduction of the likes of Carse, Hull etc

About eight years ago, one particular county, not known for producing seamers, sent a message to their age group coaches that they no longer wanted them to pick young bowlers who could just put it on the spot. They wanted ones that had the potential to become genuine quicks and physique played a part in that. They are still waiting for that quick to come through. 
  • Well batted Atkinson!
  • Atkinson must be thinking Test cricket is a piece of piss!

As soon as he came in yesterday, he looked good.
  • Superb from Atkinson.

He's on all of the Lord's honours boards having played just 5 days of Test cricket there.
  • Sponsored links:

• I would be surprised to see Robinson back in the test side anytime soon. Feels like Key and the selectors are looking for a different type of bowler with the likes of Stone,Hull, Pennington and Carse maybe even we get a look at Saqib Mahmood again now he's fit. 

Don't even think he's been especially outstanding for Sussex outside of T20 this season either. Got outshone by Jayden Seales. 
  • edited August 30
    TMS mentioning Dan Worrall and the fact he qualifies as an England player next year - and before the Ashes:

Outside bet, but you never know given the injury issues we've had with the fast bowlers.
  • 10 wickets on debut at Lords. 
    Now a maiden 1st century also at Lord's. 
    Living the dream. 
  • In the second innings, Potts can open with Duckett as he's looked really solid, with Atkinson at 3  ;)
  • I've seen some awful reviews in my time. Smith didn't appeal and if he were a bit more experienced he would have told them it wasn't out!
  • I've seen some awful reviews in my time. Smith didn't appeal and if he were a bit more experienced he would have told them it wasn't out!
    Root was convinced. 
    God knows why, he missed the ball by a mile. 
  • Now is the test for Smith. Make no mistake he is in the team to stay for a long time. Whether that is as keeper/bat or just bat time will tell. One for the Surrey boys - am I right in saying that he has batted at 3 for Surrey? Has he ever opened? 
  • Now is the test for Smith. Make no mistake he is in the team to stay for a long time. Whether that is as keeper/bat or just bat time will tell. One for the Surrey boys - am I right in saying that he has batted at 3 for Surrey? Has he ever opened? 
    Middle order batsman. 
  • Pakistan will be a test for Smith as a keeper, it'll be hot and tiring. Will he be able to still bat the same way after 100 overs in the field?