Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD [+POST p11]: Reading vs Charlton Athletic: B.S.M Trophy: Wed 6th Dec 2023 | KO 19.00

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2023
    MrOneLung said:
    Just got in and read the whole thread. 

My only comment is someone post that the goalie made a reflex save from a 30 yard shot. 
    How is that even possible….?
    So that's your whole summary of the 90+ minutes...
    By the way that was me, and it was a reflex save, the shot from Wing was from some way out and was hit well, but the ball moved direction in the air, and AMB had to switch from the right to his left to tip the ball over the bar, so it WAS a reflex save...in mid air and an excellent save into the bargain...ok.
  • Options
    another route to Wembley gone - oh well

not sure I get the Hector love in - yes he had a better game but still made some very questionable passes across our own back 4. He can go from 'Beckenbauer to Berry' in seconds

Also thought AMB's positioning for their goal was pretty poor, it was a screamer that hit the top corner that's for sure

• Options
    Really hope Jones isn't injured, as Thomas looked really dodgy when he came on
  • Options

not sure I get the Hector love in - yes he had a better game but still made some very questionable passes across our own back 4. He can go from 'Beckenbauer to Berry' in seconds

Also thought AMB's positioning for their goal was pretty poor, it was a screamer that hit the top corner that's for sure

It wasn't just his passing (or penalty), it was the constant goal-saving challenges and proactive interceptions to stop attacks, it was absolutely imperious stuff - he's played like that a few times in between the occasional error. He's a scapegoat for some reason (the errors I suppose) but at his best he's one of our two or three best players, easily
  • Options
    Really hope Jones isn't injured, as Thomas looked really dodgy when he came on
    Both Dobbo and Jones sounded precautionary from Apples post match stuff, so should be fine...🤞
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Not caring about this cup is absolutely irrelevant. We have now been absolute turd for 3 games on trot… an are highly likely to be so again on Saturday. If the happy clappy never allowed to criticise fans are ok with that, then fine. But, some of us are VERY DISAPPOINTED 
    Attempts to divide the fan base always fail because we all want the same thing, 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I also find it largely concerning that Appleton has approached fans and encouraged that bloke in saying so much. It is never a good sign when managers start interacting with fans like that in a negative way, it's a complete slip up.

Replying back to a fan saying 'we are not' when he's calling you shit just comes across immature. He's completely focused on the one toxic fan which tells me has confrontational issues. Engage with the fans who are positive, do your little clap, walk away and turn it around next game. What good is going to come from repeatedly arguing with one fan? School playground stuff that.

It's a bit different if it's unavoidable, but to actually stand there and encourage it just shows he's feeling the pressure a bit imo. I didn't like his demeanour from that video at all

• Sponsored links:

• Options
     Terry Jones - "obviously the fans, players and management all wanted to win the game".  :D
  • Options
    I would never personally shout abuse at our players, don't enjoy it but unless it is done in a bigoted way then those fans have put in the effort and money to turn up, fair play.

Weirdly I thought we played quite well though and enjoyed the match until Appleton gambled and lost by throwing on too many kids.

It may due to Saturday being so god awful that anything would seem better in comparison though.
  • Options
    I didn't attend or watch so I can't judge the team. I just wanted to comment on our own fans having a pop at our own fans. 

I don't see a positive outcome from it. The fan who was yelling at the end, has forked out cash, travelled and is fed up of watching bad football (from how it sounds). I am not saying he is right for going a bit mental, but I have no issue with fans who go to games and actually care about the team. That particular fan will be here long after any of those players or manager will be, so jumping on him isn't going to do any good.

I've seen comments online (not here) such as 'I hate our toxic fan base' 'he should never be allowed back to the valley' Jesus wept mate, do you think we are the only club that has fans like that? 

I am not endorsing players abuse, but the more these players put in terrible performances and are not criticised for it, the more they'll feel comfortable doing it.

I am not saying start calling players shit and booing, but if they keep no showing, they're hardly worth staying behind for and clapping. 
    Excellent comments as always Braziliance, saw the Appleton post match interval ''Fans only disappointed because we lost'' talk about stating the obvious! Sadly think we're going to get used to more of these disappointments.
  • Options
    I didn't attend or watch so I can't judge the team. I just wanted to comment on our own fans having a pop at our own fans. 

I don't see a positive outcome from it. The fan who was yelling at the end, has forked out cash, travelled and is fed up of watching bad football (from how it sounds). I am not saying he is right for going a bit mental, but I have no issue with fans who go to games and actually care about the team. That particular fan will be here long after any of those players or manager will be, so jumping on him isn't going to do any good.

I've seen comments online (not here) such as 'I hate our toxic fan base' 'he should never be allowed back to the valley' Jesus wept mate, do you think we are the only club that has fans like that? 

I am not endorsing players abuse, but the more these players put in terrible performances and are not criticised for it, the more they'll feel comfortable doing it.

I am not saying start calling players shit and booing, but if they keep no showing, they're hardly worth staying behind for and clapping. 
    Excellent comments as always Braziliance, saw the Appleton post match interval ''Fans only disappointed because we lost'' talk about stating the obvious! Sadly think we're going to get used to more of these disappointments.
    And less and less fans.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    clive said:
    As is becoming the norm the opposition are having a lot more chances than us. I know "highlights" dont always tell the full story but looks like we could have been beaten in normal time by 3 or 4. 
    You could have watched the match, Golfie.

Sure Reading missed some clear chances from which they should have scored, but so did we.
    It was actually quite a decent match to watch becoming increasingly open and end to end stuff in that last 10 or15 minutes, played with all the fervour of a proper cup tie.

The highlights rarely show the balance of play, as you say.

• Options

"Beckenbauer to Berry"

Dear old Les Berry. The epitome of the loyal club servant and defender with occasionally unreliable tendencies.  :) 

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I just think the optimism dies sooner now. 

It is groundhog day, every transfer window, manager, performances, sound bites, owners, everything. It's the same every season. 

I don't blame anyone for getting pissed off, I don't think it's the right thing to do but I can see why. 

Like I said Saturday, never booed players, never abused players (at the game). I am not someone who is aggressive but I did find myself telling the players not to bother and I wanted to vent at them proper. I can see the players hiding every week. 

They're very lucky our fans are a reasonable bunch collectively, as over the years it would have been hell for some of these frauds who put on the shirt with some of these performances they turn in
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Aren't stats a wonderful thing..
    Truth be known either side could have won in open play, looking at that stat, the fouls stand out at 15, (one in particular when Rylah was hauled back when through on the right), and a lot of those broke up promising openings for us, but we had a useless ref, who, if he had stamped a bit of authority early doors (only one yellow card), we could have maybe had a better shots stat, anyway we lost, so we move onto Saturday, and a game that actually matters...
  • Options

Beckenbauer to Berry !!!

Showing your age there !!
  • Options
    OK we lost on penalties 
    But the worrying thing is
    they played a simple long ball & was winning every second ball off of them
    They done this most of the game & neither the manager or our players reacted to this & just allowed them to carry on   & if they was a better side they would have beaten us easy 
    We need to work on this side of our game ASAP 

• Options
    PWR: I had the game on, but I wasn't too invested in it. All this has proved (what we already knew) is that our squad has absolutely no depth and it will take the mother of all January windows to get us anywhere near the play-offs and I simply don't see that happening. 

As for May's penalty, the GK got into his head and stood there pointing left & right, so it was obvious Alfie was gonna smack it dead centre. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Yeah, you didn't watch, clearly. They played pretty well and tried hard. They could easily have won. To be abused by some coked-up twat afterwards is absurd. I don't give a shit if that fan is one of ours and he forked out cash and travelled, he's completely out of order
    Are you ok mate? My opening line covered that I didnt watch the game. I've not even had a pop at Hector this time. 

Football fan abuses players on pitch, what's new? Happens at every level and every club. I am far more concerned about a club that's evidently falling away, than a singular fan who's got wound up. 

Trying hard is the minimum and I've seen these lot enough times to know playing well is a bit of a myth, teams who play well don't fail to win so consistently. 

The stats from the team that could have 'easily' won.

The stats do not reveal the quality of chances, the balance of play before and after Dobson went off, the number of times Campbell lost the ball in the last third, or that their goal was a 30 yard hit without which they'd have lost 
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Yeah, you didn't watch, clearly. They played pretty well and tried hard. They could easily have won. To be abused by some coked-up twat afterwards is absurd. I don't give a shit if that fan is one of ours and he forked out cash and travelled, he's completely out of order
    Do we have any proof of this?
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Leuth said:

Do we have any proof of this?
    Well yeh!  We lost on penalties...
  • Options
    Great penalty by Hector. Had one of his better games
  • Options
    It is pretty clear that our youth just aren’t ready for professional football yet.  Asiimwe isn’t good in defense (which is a problem when you are a defender),  Anderson is horrible on the ball, rylah is lightweight and worst of all Campbell gives no effort unless he is in the final third.  Maybe they will develop and get there eventually but right now we can’t count on any of them.