Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD [+POST p11]: Reading vs Charlton Athletic: B.S.M Trophy: Wed 6th Dec 2023 | KO 19.00

Comments

• Options
    Foxycafc said:
    Why was Appleton that close to the fans ? 
    Coz that "fan" started screaming at teenage players and personally abusing Appleton. Bigger players had to go in and sort it out
    Some drunk twat and people want to find fault with Appleton? 'Usual suspects'.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    well the players that couldn’t knock on Appleton’s door after Cray Valley, then couldn’t knock on his door after Gillingham, won’t again be able to knock on his door after Reading.

Might as well remove the door. 
    Wall him in?

Harsh, but I guess anything is worth trying to improve this shite team.
  • Options
    First time this season I didn't watch or listen to a game. Reason - couldn't be bothered! Looking at the match thread last night it seems I missed nothing! This squad needs a kick up the proverbial and collective arse!
    I'm more of a cup half full supporter, but it's worrying that the squad don't seem, at this time, to be overly interested in putting in a 90 minute performance!
    Hence I'm slowly becoming a cup half empty supporter. I can only hope that the game on Saturday reverses my dwindling optimism. 
  • Options
    Complete apathy 
  • Options
    Watched the game on Charlton TV. Had seen all previous games live til this one, a game featuring CAFC is a game featuring CAFC…

Thought there were a few ok spells but in general the players were making some poor decisions with the ball. There was one moment in the first half where Fraser did some uncharacteristically excellent defending but then started to play like he was on the edge of their 18 yard box, not his own. Where is the football brain and experience in that moment? SF was good last night, just an example of the issue for the team. 

The two FA Cup games, last night and Cheltenham (win but was not convinced) might just be the first red flag signals, but let’s see how the team respond come Saturday before we jump to any conclusions.
  • Options
    Watched the game on Charlton TV. Had seen all previous games live til this one, a game featuring CAFC is a game featuring CAFC…

Thought there were a few ok spells but in general the players were making some poor decisions with the ball. There was one moment in the first half where Fraser did some uncharacteristically excellent defending but then started to play like he was on the edge of their 18 yard box, not his own. Where is the football brain and experience in that moment? SF was good last night, just an example of the issue for the team. 

The two FA Cup games, last night and Cheltenham (win but was not convinced) might just be the first red flag signals, but let’s see how the team respond come Saturday before we jump to any conclusions.
    I've reached mine. Can't change much until January. Hopefully December doesn't prove to be as unrewarding points wise as I fear. Why do I always feel as though we go into the new year needing to start from scratch.. again. Something must stick eventually instead of us perpetually being in transition.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There seems to be a big fall out from this loss and I'm not 100% sure why, there's far more important games ahead, maybe it's a knock on from Gillingham?

In regards to a "big January" we all know what's going to happen. We're miles short you could see it from game one against Orient and we won't do enough business to sort us out in this window. My hope is a couple of perm signings that MA can build the team around next year

• Options
    What was the attendance and how many Charlton fans made the trip?
  • Options
    swordfish said:

I've reached mine. Can't change much until January. Hopefully December doesn't prove to be as unrewarding points wise as I fear. Why do I always feel as though we go into the new year needing to start from scratch.. again. Something must stick eventually instead of us perpetually being in transition.
    Plus New Year’s Day game against Oxford wouldn’t have thought too many new players  would have been signed up to play by then.

That makes six games to play with this squad of players. Would be happy with 12points out of 18points but that’s not going to happen.

Well adrift of top six come 5pm Jan1st.
  • Options
    Foxycafc said:
    At least I’ve got to meet and have a nice long chat with Headphones Norm. Real solid guy, Charlton legend. Don’t know if he’s on here
    When I saw him last week it struck me how little he’d changed since I first saw him over 30 years ago. 

Yeah, I thought the same, sort of ageless. 

• Options
    Last night was an improvement in attitude and performance from Saturday. 
    But the ongoing inadequacy of our squad is plain to see.
    With the likes of Aneke and Leaburn in particular available we carry a threat and can maybe mount a challenge for top 6.
    But beyond that the squad is overpopulated with kids who should be out on loan gaining experience of men's football.
    Fine when things are going well and they can show what they can do.
    But when the going gets tough their lack of experience and mental fortitude is exposed.
    And playing them in losing sides destroys their confidence and exposes them to the abuse of our more lumpen elements.
    We've already seen Ness and Tyreece going backwards.
    So, I guess it is going to be mix and match until January.
    Then we will find out exactly where we stand
  • Options
    agim said:
    There seems to be a big fall out from this loss and I'm not 100% sure why, there's far more important games ahead, maybe it's a knock on from Gillingham?

In regards to a "big January" we all know what's going to happen. We're miles short you could see it from game one against Orient and we won't do enough business to sort us out in this window. My hope is a couple of perm signings that MA can build the team around next year

I think it’s a build up of 3 poor performances in a row (even though 2 were cup games) and I think frustration at the fact we are probably going to be in the same place we were last year and the year before in a months time with a miracle January being our only hope and then not getting it. But that frustration is probably being aimed at the wrong place at Appleton when he’s done decent so far 
  • Options
    clive said:
    As is becoming the norm the opposition are having a lot more chances than us. I know "highlights" dont always tell the full story but looks like we could have been beaten in normal time by 3 or 4. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There was a bit of an uptick in application compared to Gillingham, but we hardly 'set things right.' And with Cambridge about to experience a big new manager bounce, I fear the worst for Saturday. 
  • Options
    Foxycafc said:
    At least I’ve got to meet and have a nice long chat with Headphones Norm. Real solid guy, Charlton legend. Don’t know if he’s on here
    When I saw him last week it struck me how little he’d changed since I first saw him over 30 years ago. 
    Nah, he's changed a lot. 

30 years ago he was wearing these .....

• Options
    Completely minimising our games for the rest of the season is a good outcome for this week at least.
  • Options
    clive said:
    As is becoming the norm the opposition are having a lot more chances than us. I know "highlights" dont always tell the full story but looks like we could have been beaten in normal time by 3 or 4. 
    The highlights don't tell the full story at all. We played very well in the main, until the final ball. A LOT of wasted play in their final third 
  • Options
    watched on stream in-between some interruptions.
    Hector- a good game for him -still occasional errors but  also some good passing
    Scot Fraser- looked good at times- there was acres of space and plenty of time for midfielders.
    Concerned for Tyreece C. as he is in a dip of form and body language isn't good. However if you look at the goals we have scored in the last few games he has been a big part of it. Frustrating that the many good positions he gets into  have a low conversion rate.

Alfie- in my mind there's a big question mark on his pens. Hope there isn't in his head space.

Overall mildly disappointed with losing. In the bigger context if we win vs Cambridge and Barnsley -its not a problem but if players run out of puff in both or either hindsight will say we should have fielded a weaker team.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    agim said:

I think it’s a build up of 3 poor performances in a row (even though 2 were cup games) and I think frustration at the fact we are probably going to be in the same place we were last year and the year before in a months time with a miracle January being our only hope and then not getting it. But that frustration is probably being aimed at the wrong place at Appleton when he’s done decent so far 
    It’s the anger before the apathy of accepting mid table football. I accepted after Carlisle that we weren’t going to be challenging for top 6.

Think fans are holding on to that last hopes we can turn it around and make the play offs. Lot of expectations for us to be back to where we were 12 month ago (From a league table perspective).
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I see Hector has gotten a 5 and a 5.5 in Player Marks after playing like some unholy combination of Maldini, Xabi Alonso and Le Tissier. What more can the man do

Not forgetting Naby Sarr with those 50 yard passes that Hector emulated last night.
    Makes you realize many of our viewers were watching the cricket more than the football if they gave Michael Hector 5 or 5.5.
    Sure he made a couple of strange decisions but that's why he finds his self at Charlton and not Luton at this stage of his career.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    There was a bit of an uptick in application compared to Gillingham, but we hardly 'set things right.' And with Cambridge about to experience a big new manager bounce, I fear the worst for Saturday. 
    Would you rate Reading as good as Gillingham ( on performance not league position)? I don't think I would. Lots of space last night for our players, not that much pressure .