Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH THREAD [+POST p11]: Reading vs Charlton Athletic: B.S.M Trophy: Wed 6th Dec 2023 | KO 19.00

Comments

• There are some very strange fans of football.
  • Apples looks like he’s going through the motions.  I appreciate he’s operating with a few injuries at the moment, but he looks like he thinks he’s only going to be here for a year or so, get paid and then have to find a new job.  Seeing Harris get appointed by Cambridge, it’s almost as if he knows there will always be a struggling mid to lower league one club that has got rid of their manager, and he’s got a job
  • edited December 2023
    To rub salt into the wounds, look who is coming to the Valley on Saturday.

• To rub salt into the wounds, look who is coming to the Valley on Saturday.

Need that like a hole in the head ffs
  • Another dull season I coming. 

Just find us so so weak. Every time we concede we stop playing.

Basic 5 yard passes we can't do right
    Can't defend
    Can't take corners or set pieces
    Lack of creativity 

Too predictable and slow.

I know he is young but tyreece Campbell has been awful. Has to come out the team 
  • Sponsored links:

• Southbank said:
    Out of all the cups. Mid table in the league. Long and lengthening injury list.
    So much to look forward to.
    Nothing to be positive about atm. Keep seeing fans talk about how we're in reach of the playoffs, but they all seem to forget the injuries we've picked up recently. If Kanu and Mbick are our only other attacking options then we're not going to get into the playoffs 
  • Foxycafc said:
    At least I’ve got to meet and have a nice long chat with Headphones Norm. Real solid guy, Charlton legend. Don’t know if he’s on here
    When I saw him last week it struck me how little he’d changed since I first saw him over 30 years ago. 
    It's the Norm
  • So Dobson and Jones needing assessments after injuries tonight.  If those two are out for any time then by the time Jan comes it will be about shoring up the squad to stop us drifting to the bottom 4 as the top 6 will be miles ahead.  Mental playing the key first teamers in such an utterly pointless competition.
    Shouldn't even have been involved in this pointless game, another clueless decision by Voldemort
  • If all the players who shouldn’t be the first 11 are left out, we don’t have an 11. Actually we wouldn’t have 6……
  • JamesSeed said:
    I’m probably an outlier, but I quite enjoyed that. Not the result particularly, but some of the performances. Loved watching the Hector that we hoped we might be getting when we signed him. If he can play like that consistently we could make some progress
    Genuinely important game on Saturday. It’s a Seth ‘must win’. But I think it actually is.
    It was quite an enjoyable game of football! Certainly better than some of the games I have seen this season. Yeah desperately need to win Saturday with Barnsley away the following weekend. Hope Dobson and Jones are fit. Not sure if CBT is longer term but knowing our record with injuries he will probably be out for a while.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a high quality game but I thought we were broadly ok, no better or worse. 

I think that, with Leaburn and Aneke out, we'll probably see Alfie May ploughing a lonely furrow up front against big central defenders, starting with Morro on Saturday. With Tyreece Campbell struggling, maybe Appleton will bring Daniel Kanu in as an 'inside right' style attacker. Teams will press us high and try and force us into longer balls, knowing we have no strong target man to hold the ball up and bring others into play. 

The latest injury to McGrandles leaves us very light in midfield and our options are extremely limited at present. In terms of the defence tonight, Hector had a good game and we didn't give up too many chances, despite Reading having a lot of possession.
  • fenaddick said:
    If all the players who shouldn’t be the first 11 are left out, we don’t have an 11. Actually we wouldn’t have 6……
    And everyone would have a go at him for just playing the kids. Managers can't win in this competition to be honest
    If we'd won Saturday I doubt anyone would have cared this eve. Problem is we needed a response as Saturday was so bad, and we didn't really get one
  • Nothing competition, but we will now be able to assess what Appleton is made of?
  • edited December 2023
    So Dobson and Jones needing assessments after injuries tonight.  If those two are out for any time then by the time Jan comes it will be about shoring up the squad to stop us drifting to the bottom 4 as the top 6 will be miles ahead.  Mental playing the key first teamers in such an utterly pointless competition.
    I've said before that as a club we should just take the financial hit & just not enter a team. Tell the EFL that it's a worthless competition & we aren't going to bother. Failing that enter the U21's & take the financial penalty that way. The more clubs that took this stance the better & might make the EFL take notice. 
  • Why was Appleton that close to the fans ? 
    Coz he feels the pain too bro'. 
  • Foxycafc said:
    At least I’ve got to meet and have a nice long chat with Headphones Norm. Real solid guy, Charlton legend. Don’t know if he’s on here
    To his friends he is Norman.

Nothing else.  True man that’s been going for decades. 
    So rumours he's going to be called airpods Norm after xmas is false then 😄
    To be fair, if he wasn't wearing his headphones, I wouldn't know him from Adam... And I go with Adam!

Coz that "fan" started screaming at teenage players and personally abusing Appleton. Bigger players had to go in and sort it out
  • Foxycafc said:
    Why was Appleton that close to the fans ? 
    Coz that "fan" started screaming at teenage players and personally abusing Appleton. Bigger players had to go in and sort it out
    Out of order attacking Appleton......especially for a loss in a Mickey Mouse cup competition. Decent league stats so far and would like to see who he can bring in Jan before making judgement 
    Coz he feels the pain too bro'. 
    So going over to the fans with the players is wrong now?