Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD (+POSTp22): Gillingham vs Charlton Athletic: FA Cup🏆(2): Sat 2nd Dec 2023 | KO 3.00PM

Comments

• Options
    Nothing short of a semi final would entice me to the away “ stand “ At Gillingham- never again!

Just spent an hour in the company of a devoted Gills and Kent fan who said we were the worst team they had played this season.,,.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    msomerton said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Gillingham clearly wanted it more than us. Fought for every ball. Not too down. What we need to do is stay in range and then replace some of the weak players we have in January (I don'y just mean physically but mentally too). Also some young players needs loan. Ness is so mistake ridden it cannot be ignored.
    Problem is I don't trust Scott to replace them with anyone better and for Appleton to then get them playing as a team. 
    Christ, we’re not going to start calling for yet another manager sacking are we?? Is that what people want?
    We want another new manger bounce. It has been how we have survived in league 1.
    Should do it 3 times a season and we may get the points for promotion.
    2 defeats in 13 league games since Holden’s departure. We’re in very little danger of going down this season.

I think(?) you were joking in your response but yeah, there’s really no point getting rid of Appleton now. In fact, he got a good review from Andy Scott in the latest sit down chat only 48 hours ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    RoanRedNY said:
    Valley11 said:
    The expectations of this club have fallen off a cliff. Too many going through the motions. We won’t achieve anything while that exists. The size and pedigree of this club, there is no way we should be accepting being this shit. Bumbling around in the third division year on year and giving spineless performances in the FA Cup (twice this season) 
    Appleton needs to make that abundantly clear. 
    I agree but disagree. The first thing to do is accept that we are shit then go about improving year by year to be less shit. The first way to go about this is to stop changing managers every season and do the business early in the summer transfer window.
    I love this analogy.  As we become less shit, or perhaps a no shit side, we will inevitably go through phases of being a shart side, and onwards and upwards to a skid mark team through the fart stages (both wet and dry), rumbling guts and finally

to the promised land of no shit.  My only concern is how long does that actually take?
    There is a problem with that. As you improve, players stand out and you lose them. So continuous improvement isn't a given. Will we have Dobbo or CBT next season? We need to see where we are short and try to sort it out this season. If we nick enough points in December, it is still possible. We need to think where the goals in the team are outside of May and CBT with Leaburn out. I want a centre half who is a threat offensively as well as decent defensively. Getting a corner is meaningless to us at the moment. I want a midfielder who can push towards 10.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    The average age of our team today was 23 Vs Gills 27. It's a poorly put together squad. 
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    Melrose said:
    Awful no bottle or heart. 

Appleton knows a lot of these are not good enough.  I just hope he can get them out and replace with players he wants. 
    Appleton needs replacing as well
    He inherited this bunch of bottle jobs. How do you think he feels? . I actually think we know now after hearing his post match interview 

He has no idea of a compact competitive formation. He keeps playing May out wide on the right. He continues to play Tedic. He's another Adkins type, had some success in the past, but we'll past his sell by date. In his defence Scott's acquisitions have been appalling
  • Options
    I'm reasonably happy with Appleton in the sense where I don't know what else he can do with the players we have. Holden was making huge errors (CBT at wingback ! ) but with Holden bar the Tedic at right mid thing he's pretty much doing what most of us would do? 

We are a team of youth, free agents and loans plus one very decent centre forward and it shows. In the Bowyer promotion season  it clicked with Taylor up top, some ridiculous loan signings and youth like Aribo who were way better then League One. Football goes around in circles and we will have our time again, when that will be who knows but I honestly wouldn't care if I didn't see any of this lot in a charlton shirt again bar May. 
  • Options
    Nearly 10pm - had a lot of booze - I am still fucking raging about what I saw today - an utter disgrace of a performance - have Barnsley away ticket, trains booked - dreading it - we are gonna get torn a new arsehole - between that is Cambridge at home - another new low incoming 
..????

Sooo annoyed 
  • Options
    agim said:
    I'm reasonably happy with Appleton in the sense where I don't know what else he can do with the players we have. Holden was making huge errors (CBT at wingback ! ) but with Holden bar the Tedic at right mid thing he's pretty much doing what most of us would do? 

We are a team of youth, free agents and loans plus one very decent centre forward and it shows. In the Bowyer promotion season  it clicked with Taylor up top, some ridiculous loan signings and youth like Aribo who were way better then League One. Football goes around in circles and we will have our time again, when that will be who knows but I honestly wouldn't care if I didn't see any of this lot in a charlton shirt again bar May. 
    Blimey, based on the last few years our turn is still a blooming long way off. It had better hurry up and happen otherwise a few of us aren't going to be around to see it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    agim said:

We are a team of youth, free agents and loans plus one very decent centre forward and it shows. In the Bowyer promotion season  it clicked with Taylor up top, some ridiculous loan signings and youth like Aribo who were way better than League One. Football goes around in circles and we will have our time again, when that will be who knows but I honestly wouldn't care if I didn't see any of this lot in a charlton shirt again bar May. 
    Oh yeah - he is such a genius he is playing Alfie on the ‘wing’ - ridiculous 

Today we have been schooled by fucking league 2 Gillingham - who are shite - what does that make us - double shite 

He’s had his new manager bounce - now reality bites us - appalling - no player comes out of today with any credit whatsoever 

I went to game today full of confidence - I’m now a balloon that was 60 ft tall, shrunk to the size of a peanut 

I have not been so annoyed about Charlton Athletic tonight since Dowie 😔
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    The way people are talking about Appleton you’d think we’ve lost half of our last dozen odd games.

3 losses in 17

9 losses from the 17 competitive games before he came in.
    The power of Chuks Aneke mate. It's no coincidence that since Chuks got injured, we have only had two wins in the league.

He's the only player who has a bit of fight up top or physicality about him. Massive loss.

Also to say 'losses' implies drawing is a result. Some of these draws are poor

We can talk about wins if you want to.

8 wins in 17 under Appleton: Wycombe (H), Exeter (H), Villa U21 (H), Reading (H), Wigan (A), Cray Valley (A), Sutton (H), Cheltenham (H)

5 wins in the prior 17: Fleetwood (H), Orient (H), Port Vale (H), MK Dons (A), Burton (H)

Putting it all together:

Appleton: 8 wins, 6 draws, 3 losses

Holden/Pearce: 5 wins, 3 draws, 9 losses
  • Options
    Worst ever display I have ever seen was the 5-0 defeat at Watford a few years ago.

If anyone there today was also at that Watford game, interested to know which they thought was worse.

To be fair I went to the 6-0 Hull game in a fancy dress laundry basket, in a nod the the team manager alledgedly leaving the previous away ground in a laundry basket to escape the fans. When our most sang chant was "We're the Charlton, the mighty Charlton, we never win away." That was definately a low point.

Was today as bad, no, we've been on an OK run. Sadly as others have said, they are almost immune to the disappointment of such dross performances. The gate on Tuesday night should tell the new owners all they need to know. There were more at Gills today than at the Valley. If that statistic (made up or otherwise) doesn't make them smell the stale coffee, the crap on the pitch never will.

Were getting feck all for Christmas from this lot, so may January be a new beginning.

Felt for Alfie today. He cares and was so pissed at the others before half time that he gave both CBT and Dobbo an earful during the drinks break.

Mickey Apples has got his work cut out. No one player can be excused today. 
    Today was a local derby Saturday afternoon game. Easily the biggest FA Cup crowd of the day I imagine (7717), as Bolton only had 5703. 

Midweek Gills only got 5747 against Wimbledon.

That was a reason why today's game would have been a good TV game, as the home team AND supporters would be up for it.

• Options
    Losses are a rarity these days, but we do need a run of wins in the league to bring back some belief. Nothing seen today inspires confidence, but Appleton's record with us is good enough to justify keeping  faith with him and seeing what he can do with reinforcements in January.