Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cheltenham Attendance

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Sorry to whinge on about an old hobby horse of mine but I went on Tuesday (I'm a season ticket holder) and wouldn't think about not going to every home game other than through sickness or having an event arranged before the fixture list comes out.

However, I am still considered only to be a phase 8 "Loyalty points" fan when it comes to tickets on restricted sale.
    If you start going to away games as well, you’ll move up the pecking order ! 
    I agree with you there and do go to a few but it's the Valley Gold without a season ticket being ahead of me and, in particular, the two or more tickets per applicant that I don't agree with.
    The Vally Gold part is a nonsense and needs pulling apart but not enough people seem interested in raising it
    Too much emphasis on putting money into the youth set up.
    Away regulars should get priority then Valley Gold.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    clb74 said:
    clive said:
    kafka said:
    clive said:
    kafka said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    This is exactly what the EFL want by allowing streaming for midweek, more and more will give cold nights a miss and the crowds will continue to decline.

Charlton have made the issue even worse by enhancing their own coverage.

As a club we really should be looking at how we can get them local teenagers who were there last night back, but paying to get in and adding to those of us still going.
    Puzzled that  you think the EFL want this? Genuine question
    They have allowed streaming to occur in the UK for midweek matches. Once you allow this it is obvious in the bottom 2 leagues the crowds will drop off and this will continue a lot more into the future.
    I didn't go as couldn't justify my 120 mile round trip for such an uninspiring fixture. I wouldn't have gone if it wasn't streamed so the club got £10 more revenue from me. I would say this is the case for quite a few people. 
      What fixtures in this league would you describe as inspiring?
    As somebody who attends every game home & away i find it strange why people bother to buy a season ticket if they can't be bothered to turn up to home games.
    If you found the fixture was so uninspiring, why bother to watch it at all, there was a few good champions league fixtures that evening on tv, why not watch one of those?

Why would I watch the Champions league when I support Charlton? I've clocked up over 2,000 games from Carlisle to Plymouth so don't expect lectures. You go to every game, which is great but I choose not to any more and living 2 hours away from the Valley, I now choose to miss out on some games. I expected this game to be uninspiring which not surprisingly it turned out to be. I was at Portsmouth and that was inspiring. Only around 1,000 go to every game, do you think that these are the only people that are proper supporters?
     For me personally there are very few games in this league that look like games i could call potentially inspiring/attractive but that does not me deter from attending.
     I was born & have always resided within 3/4 miles of 'The Valley' so i've no excuse not to attend every home game.
    As a person who is dependent on public transport i would never relocate to somewhere where it would deter me from attending a home game.
    The Charlton TV /streaming argument has been gone over many times on this forum, but if i was living miles away & a Premiership match or Champions League game was on the tv i would probably watch that in preference to watching a 3rd division game in a silent deserted stadium but if i happened to be located near a non-league club for instance i rather would rather go & watch them than being stuck indoors watching the tv.
    The people who attend home & away matches regularly i would describe as loyal supporters.

Thing is Clive most people don't want to dedicate their life to Charlton.

But spend most of their time looking at a forum about Charlton!
    Going week in week out requires dedication.
    I doff my cap to those like @clive who have that dedication,  even though I'm sure it was @clive who shouted at me last week on the way back from Carlisle " you moaning again".
    I've been thinking back to the season I didn't miss a game.
    Midweek away games can require at least a day's holiday , money is a factor and its hard if you've got a family.
    I'd like to think in the next 20 years before my 70th I can do another season without missing a game , that season I'd have to be focusing on Charlton.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Sorry to whinge on about an old hobby horse of mine but I went on Tuesday (I'm a season ticket holder) and wouldn't think about not going to every home game other than through sickness or having an event arranged before the fixture list comes out.

However, I am still considered only to be a phase 8 "Loyalty points" fan when it comes to tickets on restricted sale.
    I agree with you there and do go to a few but it's the Valley Gold without a season ticket being ahead of me and, in particular, the two or more tickets per applicant that I don't agree with.
    The Vally Gold part is a nonsense and needs pulling apart but not enough people seem interested in raising it
    Those that reside in Brazil should give it a rest.
    I showed my loyalty going to the Sutton game 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    clb74 said:
    clive said:
    kafka said:
    clive said:
    kafka said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    This is exactly what the EFL want by allowing streaming for midweek, more and more will give cold nights a miss and the crowds will continue to decline.

Charlton have made the issue even worse by enhancing their own coverage.

As a club we really should be looking at how we can get them local teenagers who were there last night back, but paying to get in and adding to those of us still going.
    Puzzled that  you think the EFL want this? Genuine question
    They have allowed streaming to occur in the UK for midweek matches. Once you allow this it is obvious in the bottom 2 leagues the crowds will drop off and this will continue a lot more into the future.
    I didn't go as couldn't justify my 120 mile round trip for such an uninspiring fixture. I wouldn't have gone if it wasn't streamed so the club got £10 more revenue from me. I would say this is the case for quite a few people. 
      What fixtures in this league would you describe as inspiring?
    As somebody who attends every game home & away i find it strange why people bother to buy a season ticket if they can't be bothered to turn up to home games.
    If you found the fixture was so uninspiring, why bother to watch it at all, there was a few good champions league fixtures that evening on tv, why not watch one of those?

Why would I watch the Champions league when I support Charlton? I've clocked up over 2,000 games from Carlisle to Plymouth so don't expect lectures. You go to every game, which is great but I choose not to any more and living 2 hours away from the Valley, I now choose to miss out on some games. I expected this game to be uninspiring which not surprisingly it turned out to be. I was at Portsmouth and that was inspiring. Only around 1,000 go to every game, do you think that these are the only people that are proper supporters?
     For me personally there are very few games in this league that look like games i could call potentially inspiring/attractive but that does not me deter from attending.
     I was born & have always resided within 3/4 miles of 'The Valley' so i've no excuse not to attend every home game.
    As a person who is dependent on public transport i would never relocate to somewhere where it would deter me from attending a home game.
    The Charlton TV /streaming argument has been gone over many times on this forum, but if i was living miles away & a Premiership match or Champions League game was on the tv i would probably watch that in preference to watching a 3rd division game in a silent deserted stadium but if i happened to be located near a non-league club for instance i rather would rather go & watch them than being stuck indoors watching the tv.
    The people who attend home & away matches regularly i would describe as loyal supporters.

Thing is Clive most people don't want to dedicate their life to Charlton.

But spend most of their time looking at a forum about Charlton!
    Going week in week out requires dedication.
    I doff my cap to those like @clive who have that dedication,  even though I'm sure it was @clive who shouted at me last week on the way back from Carlisle " you moaning again".
    I've been thinking back to the season I didn't miss a game.
    Midweek away games can require at least a day's holiday , money is a factor and its hard if you've got a family.
    I'd like to think in the next 20 years before my 70th I can do another season without missing a game , that season I'd have to be focusing on Charlton.
    It was the whole carriage, not just Clive.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

No need for that mate 
  • Options
    I do think having a smaller stadium where its easier to get an atmosphere going, everyone bunched together, would make home games more appealing 
  • Options
    Mike said:
    I do think having a smaller stadium where its easier to get an atmosphere going, everyone bunched together, would make home games more appealing 
    That Cray Valley Paper Mills ground might do?
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

No need for that mate 
    It was a joke. 
    They are good mates.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

No need for that mate 
    Sorry mate.
    I shouldn't tar you all with the same brush.
    I know your going all the game's and you must be doing thousands of miles coming over for the games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

No need for that mate 
    It was a joke. 
    They are good mates.
    Is it not a joke based on his username….
  • Options
    I looked down at you and your mob at the front @blackpool72 and thought my god you boys have seen some shite up and down the country over the years yet still stick with it. Must do your head in seeing us so crap again. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

No need for that mate 
    It was a joke. 
    They are good mates.
    I know mate, just a silly joke on my username.

Well aware that Elf has visited every bloody ground in Brazil 😂
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

No need for that mate 
    It was a joke. 
    They are good mates.

OK.
    Understood 👍
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    i'd like to see all streaming or televising of matches banned outside of the premier league - its definitely affecting attendances - charlton tv was great during lockdown and is obviously great for those living a long distance away or abroad but unfortunately if you do live a long way away its part of the deal that you aren't going to be able to watch your team - if its going to kill the live attendances - i think charlton tv is coming to an end anyway and tightly so but all other streaming and televising also needs banning - no fans in the stadium, no spectacle - be like a modern cup game every week !!!
    Or put the price up, yes that's controversial and I don't think it's the full answer. If anybody knows, what is difference in attendance between Bristol Rovers at home and Cheltenham ? 
  • Options
    11575 for Exeter, 12756 against Bristol Rovers 10,622 against Cheltenham. Both Exeter and Bristol Rovers had similar away support in attendance roughly 720, whilst Cheltenham brought 287. Whatever we think about season ticket supporters in attendance and free tickets being distributed, there is very real drop in attendance as winter draws in, also it's worth bearing mind that Charlton's form and league position were worse when playing Bristol and Exeter than when they played Cheltenham.  
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

No need for that mate 
    It was a joke. 
    They are good mates.

My blogs in Portuglish are interesting :)
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

No need for that mate 
    Sorry mate.
    I shouldn't tar you all with the same brush.
    I know your going all the game's and you must be doing thousands of miles coming over for the games.
    It's tiring but worth it mate, now I need a sponsor to pay for the flights.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    DOUCHER said:
    i'd like to see all streaming or televising of matches banned outside of the premier league - its definitely affecting attendances - charlton tv was great during lockdown and is obviously great for those living a long distance away or abroad but unfortunately if you do live a long way away its part of the deal that you aren't going to be able to watch your team - if its going to kill the live attendances - i think charlton tv is coming to an end anyway and tightly so but all other streaming and televising also needs banning - no fans in the stadium, no spectacle - be like a modern cup game every week !!!
    Or put the price up, yes that's controversial and I don't think it's the full answer. If anybody knows, what is difference in attendance between Bristol Rovers at home and Cheltenham ? 
    I think scrapping the screening of games would increase our attendances overall.
    It would not help fans who live too far to attend regularly but something has to give.
    Bums on seats in the ground has to be better than bums on a sofa in the living room.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bailey said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I think scrapping the screening of games would increase our attendances overall.
    It would not help fans who live too far to attend regularly but something has to give.
    Bums on seats in the ground has to be better than bums on a sofa in the living room.
    I wonder how many extra people would actually have attended the Valley on Tuesday if the streaming service were unavailable for some reason.

My guess would be in the dozens rather than thousands.

If IFollow and streaming is abandoned next season because of the new TV deal, I certainly don't expect to  see any noticeable increase in overall attendance!

On the other hand switching Saturday games to Sunday or midweek has a devastating affect.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    11575 for Exeter, 12756 against Bristol Rovers 10,622 against Cheltenham. Both Exeter and Bristol Rovers had similar away support in attendance roughly 720, whilst Cheltenham brought 287. Whatever we think about season ticket supporters in attendance and free tickets being distributed, there is very real drop in attendance as winter draws in, also it's worth bearing mind that Charlton's form and league position were worse when playing Bristol and Exeter than when they played Cheltenham.  
    These (home) figures are not very useful as the club won’t issue the same number of comps from match to match. I’ll guarantee we didn’t sell anywhere near 4,000 match tickets for Bristol Rovers (assuming 8,000 STs).

What is obvious is that the actual crowds were well shy of those announced and non-attending season ticket holders is a big factor, alongside unused comps.

We’ve only had one good home crowd and that was Orient. But Cheltenham was shocking.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I think there is something in what your saying Elfsborg but like a lot of things, it can't be taken in isolation. The attendance drop in the three night games I mentioned had nothing to do with, quality of opposition, form or indeed, the stream. It's naïve for any business to keep doing the same things and failing, and it's apparently a definition of madness. If attendances are higher for night games in the milder months, then to be it makes pure business sense for the league to schedule those matches in August, September, March and April. My journey from Canterbury is far easier to achieve in those months and as you say, virtually December, freezing cold temperatures or ten pounds for the stream, easy choice really, I wonder if the stream was £15, would the choice be as easy? 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    These (home) figures are not very useful as the club won’t issue the same number of comps from match to match. I’ll guarantee we didn’t sell anywhere near 4,000 match tickets for Bristol Rovers (assuming 8,000 STs).

What is obvious is that the actual crowds were well shy of those announced and non-attending season ticket holders is a big factor, alongside unused comps.

We’ve only had one good home crowd and that was Orient. But Cheltenham was shocking.
    I get your point Airman. So lets take on an imaginary scenario, Airman now has control of fixture scheduling for EFL Division, with the directive to increase attendances across the twenty three clubs, what would you do ? 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Bailey said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I wonder how many extra people would actually have attended the Valley on Tuesday if the streaming service were unavailable for some reason.

My guess would be in the dozens rather than thousands.

If IFollow and streaming is abandoned next season because of the new TV deal, I certainly don't expect to  see any noticeable increase in overall attendance!

On the other hand switching Saturday games to Sunday or midweek has a devastating affect.
    It will be interesting to see what happens to streaming next season. I moved from Surrey to Gloucestershire in November 2020 and haven't attended a game home or away in those 3 years. Before that I probably attended 95% of home games and a handful of away games each season.

Charlton TV and iFollow has been a god send (including the ability to watch Saturday 3pm kickoffs via a VPN) over the past 3 years. However, after last season and then watching the last few games, I feel like eliminating the ability to watch games via a live stream would actually be a kindness and finally help me kick a 60 year habit! It's so sad to see Charlton has become just a mid table third tier club.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:

I get your point Airman. So lets take on an imaginary scenario, Airman now has control of fixture scheduling for EFL Division, with the directive to increase attendances across the twenty three clubs, what would you do ? 
    Reduce prices, look at the gates Bradford get, but of course you can still have the scenario of season ticket holders not going and gates distorted.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:

I get your point Airman. So let’s take on an imaginary scenario, Airman now has control of fixture scheduling for EFL Division, with the directive to increase attendances across the twenty three clubs, what would you do ? 
    I wouldn’t play evening league games in November, December, January or February for a start. What on earth are we playing at Bristol Rovers on a Friday night between Christmas and New Year for?

They can play the trophy on Wednesday afternoons at the training ground to help.

As an aside, one of my longstanding beefs has been managers rescheduling fixtures over holiday periods, etc, to suit the playing side. I get the logic but they have no interest whatsoever in the financial consequences or how it affects fans.