Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cheltenham Attendance

Comments

• Options
    Bailey said:
    It would be interesting to find out, even on here, what regulars didn't attend last night. I have a season ticket and on Saturday evening I was intending to go. I think most people look at the positives and negatives, my negatives were Temperatures dropping, Cheltenham, not getting home till gone midnight, chance the trains or negotiate the M2, then picking up a nasty cold probably convinced me to stay in the warm and pay a tenner for the stream. The positives ? i'll get back to you on that one. Personally I think we still play far too much football in this country and with international breaks causing Saturday postponements creating more winters evening games its actually getting worse. I would rather we extend the season till the end of May and play the postponed games from the end of March onwards, might not suit everyone but it would be easier on the players and easier on the supporters.  
    I went with my ST, but my son didn't as he's out of the country. Offered the spare to my other son, but he didn't want to know. Put a note on a WhatsApp group of Charlton friends and got a message back saying that they had two spares of their own already. Thought about offering the freebie to non-Charlton mates but decided against it; didn't want any of them  taking the piss. By the size of the turnout, it seems like others might have thought the same. I counted the seats in my row, there were thirteen spare seats to my right and twenty to my left. I had had a shower, honest.  
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    This is exactly what the EFL want by allowing streaming for midweek, more and more will give cold nights a miss and the crowds will continue to decline.

Charlton have made the issue even worse by enhancing their own coverage.

As a club we really should be looking at how we can get them local teenagers who were there last night back, but paying to get in and adding to those of us still going.
    Puzzled that  you think the EFL want this? Genuine question
    They have allowed streaming to occur in the UK for midweek matches. Once you allow this it is obvious in the bottom 2 leagues the crowds will drop off and this will continue a lot more into the future.
    I didn't go as couldn't justify my 120 mile round trip for such an uninspiring fixture. I wouldn't have gone if it wasn't streamed so the club got £10 more revenue from me. I would say this is the case for quite a few people. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    kafka said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    This is exactly what the EFL want by allowing streaming for midweek, more and more will give cold nights a miss and the crowds will continue to decline.

As a club we really should be looking at how we can get them local teenagers who were there last night back, but paying to get in and adding to those of us still going.
    They have allowed streaming to occur in the UK for midweek matches. Once you allow this it is obvious in the bottom 2 leagues the crowds will drop off and this will continue a lot more into the future.
    I didn't go as couldn't justify my 120 mile round trip for such an uninspiring fixture. I wouldn't have gone if it wasn't streamed so the club got £10 more revenue from me. I would say this is the case for quite a few people. 
      What fixtures in this league would you describe as inspiring?
    As somebody who attends every game home & away i find it strange why people bother to buy a season ticket if they can't be bothered to turn up to home games.
    If you found the fixture was so uninspiring, why bother to watch it at all, there was a few good champions league fixtures that evening on tv, why not watch one of those?

I think there are plenty of reasons as to why people buy season tickets Clive. Speaking for myself, it's cheaper than a matchday ticket, I can sit where I want, generally with friends, I feel I am supporting the club by purchasing that season ticket and even if I can't make it, the club still have my entrance fee in the bank. I think in the case of season ticket holders watching on the stream, then the club probably gets extra money in the bag, as I have already paid for my ticket. I can't remember when the stream first started but for a tenner, I think it's great value, whether the club make decent money out of it I am not sure. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Bailey said:
    It would be interesting to find out, even on here, what regulars didn't attend last night. I have a season ticket and on Saturday evening I was intending to go. I think most people look at the positives and negatives, my negatives were Temperatures dropping, Cheltenham, not getting home till gone midnight, chance the trains or negotiate the M2, then picking up a nasty cold probably convinced me to stay in the warm and pay a tenner for the stream. The positives ? i'll get back to you on that one. Personally I think we still play far too much football in this country and with international breaks causing Saturday postponements creating more winters evening games its actually getting worse. I would rather we extend the season till the end of May and play the postponed games from the end of March onwards, might not suit everyone but it would be easier on the players and easier on the supporters.  
    I went with my ST, but my son didn't as he's out of the country. Offered the spare to my other son, but he didn't want to know. Put a note on a WhatsApp group of Charlton friends and got a message back saying that they had two spares of their own already. Thought about offering the freebie to non-Charlton mates but decided against it; didn't want any of them  taking the piss. By the size of the turnout, it seems like others might have thought the same. I counted the seats in my row, there were thirteen spare seats to my right and twenty to my left. I had had a shower, honest.  
    I thought the tickets were non transferable ?
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    IBailey said:
    clive said:
    kafka said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

As somebody who attends every game home & away i find it strange why people bother to buy a season ticket if they can't be bothered to turn up to home games.
    If you found the fixture was so uninspiring, why bother to watch it at all, there was a few good champions league fixtures that evening on tv, why not watch one of those?

I think there are plenty of reasons as to why people buy season tickets Clive. Speaking for myself, it's cheaper than a matchday ticket, I can sit where I want, generally with friends, I feel I am supporting the club by purchasing that season ticket and even if I can't make it, the club still have my entrance fee in the bank. I think in the case of season ticket holders watching on the stream, then the club probably gets extra money in the bag, as I have already paid for my ticket. I can't remember when the stream first started but for a tenner, I think it's great value, whether the club make decent money out of it I am not sure. 

In the case of my season ticket if i miss 2 games, i would be better off paying the matchday prices, in the West/Alan Curbishley stands you are not meant to sit where you want, because of the ridiculous zonal pricing system.
    Also in this & other threads i see people complaining about the lack of atmosphere, this will obviously be the case if people buy season tickets & can't be bothered to to turn up.
    As other people have mentioned it must be very hard to convince people who turn up for the first time to return to 'The Valley' when it is almost deserted & almost silent.
    Apparently the club loses money on Charlton TV.
    You haven't answered my question, what fixtures in this division are attractive/inspiring?

• Options
    edited December 2023
    MrOneLung said:
    Stig said:
    Bailey said:
    The turnstiles are electronic; I think the only checks beyond the basic ticket scan are if someone on a discounted ticket looks like they ought to pay the full adult price. I've no idea what the 'rules' are but amongst my family  and friends we always offer our tickets if they are going spare and have never had an issue. 

Edit - I think for me and my son, not being able to swap who goes might well be the difference between us buying season tickets or not, should the club decide that they wanted to go down the more restrictive route. 
  • Options
    kafka said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

My point is the EFL wants this and its exactly what they are getting, fewer people actually going to games 
  • Options
    Sorry to whinge on about an old hobby horse of mine but I went on Tuesday (I'm a season ticket holder) and wouldn't think about not going to every home game other than through sickness or having an event arranged before the fixture list comes out.

However, I am still considered only to be a phase 8 "Loyalty points" fan when it comes to tickets on restricted sale.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry to whinge on about an old hobby horse of mine but I went on Tuesday (I'm a season ticket holder) and wouldn't think about not going to every home game other than through sickness or having an event arranged before the fixture list comes out.

However, I am still considered only to be a phase 8 "Loyalty points" fan when it comes to tickets on restricted sale.
    Based on having a season ticket this season and last would give you 460 points which is phase 8. That means those who have the same plus been to cup games and away games will be higher up.
  • Options

If you start going to away games as well, you’ll move up the pecking order ! 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    kafka said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

I know it’s pedantic but your £10 includes VAT and the club is unlikely to get all of the balance. It will likely be split with the opposition and the provider. It’s probably more like £4/£5.

That payment can allow multiple people to watch  the game and the club gets no ancillary revenue from programme, refreshments, etc, sales.

Don’t imagine either that Curbs etc do it for nothing. Nor should they.

This could only work as a business model if the club was racking up huge online sales to offset lost stadium revenue from match ticket and ancillary sales.

There’s very little chance of that in my opinion.

A family of four might easily generate £60 net revenue at the stadium. On a screen they generate under a tenth of that.

It’s by no means all that’s going on, but it’s a part of the problem. However this horse has bolted.

• Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    What's been our lowest attendance for a home league game since the prem days (not counting the COVID era of course)? Was Tuesdays game a contender?
    I think we’re in “lowest league attendance since the return to The Valley in 1992” territory, not just 2007.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Stig said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Stig said:
    Bailey said:
    The turnstiles are electronic; I think the only checks beyond the basic ticket scan are if someone on a discounted ticket looks like they ought to pay the full adult price. I've no idea what the 'rules' are but amongst my family  and friends we always offer our tickets if they are going spare and have never had an issue. 

Edit - I think for me and my son, not being able to swap who goes might well be the difference between us buying season tickets or not, should the club decide that they wanted to go down the more restrictive route. 
    The club won’t pay for the stewards it would need to enforce its policy, so you’ll be fine. 
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    Down to the die hards and a few overseas visitors
    To London. Though I guessed a crowd of 9000.
    Think 6000 to low a number.
    The fame last night is nit selling Charlton to any one but us fools.
    One in three seats filled at 9,000 - more given the JS Stand was almost empty. I don’t think so.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    What's been our lowest attendance for a home league game since the prem days (not counting the COVID era of course)? Was Tuesdays game a contender?
    I think we’re in “lowest league attendance since the return to The Valley in 1992” territory, not just 2007.
    The January signings will bring fans flooding back B)
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    That was my thinking on Tuesday too. 
  • Options
    kafka said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

I know it’s pedantic but your £10 includes VAT and the club is unlikely to get all of the balance. It will likely be split with the opposition and the provider. It’s probably more like £4/£5.

That payment can allow multiple people to watch  the game and the club gets no ancillary revenue from programme, refreshments, etc, sales.

This could only work as a business model if the club was racking up huge online sales to offset lost stadium revenue from match ticket and ancillary sales.

A family of four might easily generate £60 net revenue at the stadium. On a screen they generate under a tenth of that.

It’s by no means all that’s going on, but it’s a part of the problem. However this horse has bolted.

But the poster said he wasn’t going to the game with it without a stream. None of that extra income was going to happen with or without the stream.

Curbs and co, cameras and all the other fixed costs would also still be there without the stream being available within the UK as CharltonTV has - thankfully- been available to international fans for years. On this occasion the club absolutely made more money than had it not been available in the UK. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    kafka said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Why would I watch the Champions league when I support Charlton? I've clocked up over 2,000 games from Carlisle to Plymouth so don't expect lectures. You go to every game, which is great but I choose not to any more and living 2 hours away from the Valley, I now choose to miss out on some games. I expected this game to be uninspiring which not surprisingly it turned out to be. I was at Portsmouth and that was inspiring. Only around 1,000 go to every game, do you think that these are the only people that are proper supporters?
  • Options
    kafka said:
    clive said:
    kafka said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Why would I watch the Champions league when I support Charlton? I've clocked up over 2,000 games from Carlisle to Plymouth so don't expect lectures. You go to every game, which is great but I choose not to any more and living 2 hours away from the Valley, I now choose to miss out on some games. I expected this game to be uninspiring which not surprisingly it turned out to be. I was at Portsmouth and that was inspiring. Only around 1,000 go to every game, do you think that these are the only people that are proper supporters?
     For me personally there are very few games in this league that look like games i could call potentially inspiring/attractive but that does not me deter from attending.
     I was born & have always resided within 3/4 miles of 'The Valley' so i've no excuse not to attend every home game.
    As a person who is dependent on public transport i would never relocate to somewhere where it would deter me from attending a home game.
    The Charlton TV /streaming argument has been gone over many times on this forum, but if i was living miles away & a Premiership match or Champions League game was on the tv i would probably watch that in preference to watching a 3rd division game in a silent deserted stadium but if i happened to be located near a non-league club for instance i rather would rather go & watch them than being stuck indoors watching the tv.
    The people who attend home & away matches regularly i would describe as loyal supporters.

• Options
    clive said:
    kafka said:
    clive said:
    kafka said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

For me personally there are very few games in this league that look like games i could call potentially inspiring/attractive but that does not me deter from attending.
     I was born & have always resided within 3/4 miles of 'The Valley' so i've no excuse not to attend every home game.
    As a person who is dependent on public transport i would never relocate to somewhere where it would deter me from attending a home game.
    The Charlton TV /streaming argument has been gone over many times on this forum, but if i was living miles away & a Premiership match or Champions League game was on the tv i would probably watch that in preference to watching a 3rd division game in a silent deserted stadium but if i happened to be located near a non-league club for instance i rather would rather go & watch them than being stuck indoors watching the tv.
    The people who attend home & away matches regularly i would describe as loyal supporters.

Thing is Clive most people don't want to dedicate their life to Charlton.

• Options
    clb74 said:
    clive said:
    kafka said:
    clive said:
    kafka said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

Thing is Clive most people don't want to dedicate their life to Charlton.

But spend most of their time looking at a forum about Charlton!
  • Options
    kafka said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

But the poster said he wasn’t going to the game with it without a stream. None of that extra income was going to happen with or without the stream.

Curbs and co, cameras and all the other fixed costs would also still be there without the stream being available within the UK as CharltonTV has - thankfully- been available to international fans for years. On this occasion the club absolutely made more money than had it not been available in the UK. 

As others have said, the experience in the ground is damaged by low crowds. That will have an iterative effect.

The club itself has been damaged by 15 odd years of poor ownership and team performance, save for a couple of good seasons in that time.

We usually say the championship is our natural level, but having spent the majority of the last 15 in the third tier, I don't think that's the case anymore. 

It breaks my heart and makes me angry at the same time, but there is hope that we would rise again like we did in the 90s, but it will take an owner willing to spend and be competent enough to hire a good management team. When will that be, will it ever happen? Could we become a Rochdale or a Swindon and just be perpetually stuck at a maximum of the third tier? Forever hamstrung by poor decisions at the top? I don't know, and that scares me. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    CAFCTrev said:
    kafka said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JohnnyH2 said:

As others have said, the experience in the ground is damaged by low crowds. That will have an iterative effect.

The club itself has been damaged by 15 odd years of poor ownership and team performance, save for a couple of good seasons in that time.

We usually say the championship is our natural level, but having spent the majority of the last 15 in the third tier, I don't think that's the case anymore. 

It breaks my heart and makes me angry at the same time, but there is hope that we would rise again like we did in the 90s, but it will take an owner willing to spend and be competent enough to hire a good management team. When will that be, will it ever happen? Could we become a Rochdale or a Swindon and just be perpetually stuck at a maximum of the third tier? Forever hamstrung by poor decisions at the top? I don't know, and that scares me. 
    For better or worse, this can’t happen. The club will continue to lose too much money in L1 for it to stabilise there - you cannot cut your way to breakeven and attempts to do so will always fail.
    Sooner or later this will remove the current management / ownership or force the owners to invest to break the cycle. But we cannot plod along in L1 and for an owner or group of owners with no affiliation other than financial there is no point in doing so once they realise that.

For the management it’s a free ride until they do.

• Options

If you start going to away games as well, you’ll move up the pecking order ! 
    I agree with you there and do go to a few but it's the Valley Gold without a season ticket being ahead of me and, in particular, the two or more tickets per applicant that I don't agree with.