Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

North Macedonia vs England - KO @ 7:45pm (C4) - Living in a Dion Dublin World!!

Comments

• It will be offside
  • Oh look at that, the underdog took the lead (happens a lot) and the favourite pulls level less than 10 minutes later... panic over
  • To be fair I'll be shocked if thats not offside
  • they are really checking it hard here lol
  • Cmon... I'm half blind and can see he's beyond the last man
  • It will be offside
    Thought so in real time. 
  • Interminable wait for the offside decision.

Much better start by England, Grealish shouldn't have wandered offside.
  • Why is this taking so long? Clearly offside. VAR is a fucking joke. 
  • edited November 2023
    Lazy of Southgate to let Grealish wander beyond the last man like that
  • Sponsored links:

• be so funny if Ukraine nick a winner
  • edited November 2023
    AndyG said:
    😂 ok I can see I’m in the minority so won’t go on except to say any half decent manager would have a better chance of winning something with this group of players Southgate just isn’t a winner and bottles it when it’s within his grasp, nice bloke yes winner no

Not saying you're asking for Pep but... brilliant managers at club level "fail" all the time at international level.

Look at Luis Enrique and Spain. Arguably one of the best managers in the world, knocked out of the World Cup by Morocco.

Why is it so difficult to make the transition from club football to internationals?

Because club managers, especially the best ones, have the luxury of buying better players, and spending months and months training with them daily to play the fancy free flowing football that that top-rated manager wants to see.

Then you get hired as your national team's head coach and all of a sudden you can't go out and buy a new centre back when you need one, make do with what you've got. You can't spend weeks and weeks in a pre season laying down a playing philosophy, how you want players to build play etc etc. and if you can't pivot quickly into areas where you can make easy marginal gains instead, you're in trouble.

Why have England traditionally been one of the best set piece threats in world football under Southgate? Because he has limited time with the squad so it's an area that's easy to work on with limited time that he has available. Players come into the international camp on a Mon/Tues and are gone by the following Mon/Tues until the next month, if not a 4-5 month break.

You might think I'm giving Southgate a big benefit of the doubt here but there's another country that approaches modern international football in the same way... Didier Deschamps and France.
  • ollie watkins just nicked the refs yellow card there...
  • FFS... What kind of a sub was that Southgate
  • Harry Kane is a ridiculous individual
  • Mr & Mrs Og’s boy in there again. 
  • Alexander arnold has been pony tonight
    He has, play has looked much slicker when it hasn't gone through him
  • AndyG said:
    How to turn a truely golden generation into a shite squad of negativity whatever the result of any qualifiers whatever our fifa world ranking the minute we play a decent team in a game that matters Southgate will stifle any chance we have end of
    I think you are massively overestimating our squad calling it a "golden generation" 

we have two world class players and potentially two others - Trent and Sako. The rest are mid table premier league. The defence is arguably lower than that centrally.

Who's the second world class player not named Kane? 

Saka is England's second best player and is clearly world class at this point. 
  • Mr & Mrs Og’s boy in there again. 
    Can see them going to the Court of Arbitration if their boy doesnt get the recognition.

If Kane gets that goal, he leads 63-60. But if it is an own goal, it's 62-61 and even more intriguingly poised.

— Richard Jolly 🇺🇦 (@RichJolly) November 20, 2023
  • Sponsored links:

Just like he was against Malta.
    Its like he’s playing out of position or something.
  • edited November 2023
    Alexander arnold has been pony tonight
    He has, play has looked much slicker when it hasn't gone through him

Hopefully it'll put the arguments of the armchair managers that he'd be a great midfielder to bed.
    Been endless calls for Southgate to play him there though
  • Some bizarre decisions here. And why aren’t the NM tv showing the contentious decision like the handball? 
  • Has this ref won a competition? He is woeful
  • Another disgrace of a ref. Fucking useless.
  • edited November 2023
    AndyG said:
    How to turn a truely golden generation into a shite squad of negativity whatever the result of any qualifiers whatever our fifa world ranking the minute we play a decent team in a game that matters Southgate will stifle any chance we have end of
    I think you are massively overestimating our squad calling it a "golden generation" 

we have two world class players and potentially two others - Trent and Sako. The rest are mid table premier league. The defence is arguably lower than that centrally.

Bellingham.

I think Saka is close.
  • Jesus wept... The Macedonian is backing into Kane!!

Fans have been begging for him to play in midfield for a long time. He's admittedly got a good pass on him but that doesn't make a good midfielder.
  • AndyG said:

Bellingham.

I think Sako is close.
    Oh yeah forgot Bellingham.

Saka is third. And named Saka.