Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

North Macedonia vs England - KO @ 7:45pm (C4) - Living in a Dion Dublin World!!

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Looks like we've got Sasha Baron Cohen playing for us
  • Options
    “Never heard of him”
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    A point for England tonight would guarantee our place in Pot 1 for next month’s draw, meaning we would avoid Germany, France, Spain, Belgium and Portugal in the group stage.
  • Options
    Alexander-Arnold is wearing number 10. We deserve to lose.
  • Options
    Just seen a Charlton flag in the stadium
  • Options
    Poor old Kalvin Phillips can't get a game anywhere
  • Options
    A point for England tonight would guarantee our place in Pot 1 for next month’s draw, meaning we would avoid Germany, France, Spain, Belgium and Portugal in the group stage.
    so potentially the 2 previous finalists could not even be seeded then?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Yeah as far as I understand it, it’s all based on performance in the qualifying group - France and Portugal have won every game (0pts dropped), Spain have lost once (3pts dropped) and Belgium drawn twice (4pts dropped). Additionally you need to win your group to be in Pot 1.

If England had beaten Ukraine last month instead of drawing, they would already have been guaranteed Pot 1.

Assume it’s done that way to keep the top teams focused on winning games until the end of the qualifying stage…

(And Germany are of course in there automatically as hosts.)
  • Options
    Yeah as far as I understand it, it’s all based on performance in the qualifying group - France and Portugal have won every game (0pts dropped), Spain have lost once (3pts dropped) and Belgium drawn twice (4pts dropped). If England had beaten Ukraine last month instead of drawing, they would already have been guaranteed Pot 1.

Assume it’s done that way to keep the top teams focused on winning games until the end of the qualifying stage…

would I be right in thinking that potentially if Italy finish third tonight that the champions would be in pot 3?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Yeah as far as I understand it, it’s all based on performance in the qualifying group - France and Portugal have won every game (0pts dropped), Spain have lost once (3pts dropped) and Belgium drawn twice (4pts dropped). If England had beaten Ukraine last month instead of drawing, they would already have been guaranteed Pot 1.

would I be right in thinking that potentially if Italy finish third tonight that the champions would be in pot 3?
    The draw is happening next month before the playoffs next year, so all playoff teams will be assigned to Pot 4 as “Path A/B/C winner” which Team A could be Italy, Poland, Croatia, Wales etc.

If Italy win tonight, it’s very likely they’d be in Pot 3.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    “Never heard of him”
    Borat

• Options
    edited November 2023

The draw is happening next month before the playoffs next year, so all playoff teams will be assigned to Pot 4 as “Path A/B/C winner” which Team A could be Italy, Poland, Croatia, Wales etc.
    Thanks Cal. That is a pretty crazy scenario.

It didn't used to be like that did it? Or am I imagining it ? I may be misremembering but didn't previous tournament performance used to factor into seeding?

actually maybe i'm thinking of qualification group seeding 
  • Options
    Any cash for Charlton if Konsa plays ? 
  • Options

Thanks Cal. That is a pretty crazy scenario.

It didn't used to be like that did it? Or am I imagining it ? I may be misremembering but didn't previous tournament performance used to factor into seeding?

actually maybe i'm thinking of qualification group seeding 
    The draw for Euro 2020 was the same way, at least. 

Because England’s group was drawn as Croatia, Czech Rep and play-off winner C which turned out to be Scotland, but could’ve been Norway, Serbia or Israel.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    I don't think so I assume that clause went when he left Brentford
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    I'll put me straws away then Manic, they weren't worth clutching anyway. 
  • Options
    Not the most encouraging start. Giving the ball away all over the pitch.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Bailey said:
    Bailey said:
    I'll put me straws away then Manic, they weren't worth clutching anyway. 
    I only know because I was clutching myself til I looked it up the other day mate lol

honestly not even certain it would have been a clause in the deal with Brentford in the first place at the time
  • Options
    Jammy buggers... Lovely strike from Rice otherwise
  • Options
    Let’s just pray Harry Kane stays fit eh 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let’s just pray Harry Kane stays fit eh 
    if Simon Church was sponge foot does that mean Watkins is sponge head?
  • Options
    Passing much better tonight.

Feel like Watkins will suffer from the Vardy syndrome for england. The pace and way we play just doesn’t suit that style of striker.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    without Bellingham and Kane we seem very mid table prem
  • Options
    Maguire a lucky boy there 
  • Options
    That’s a pen, Maguire continues to be Maguire 
  • Options
    Oh that looked very clumsy from Maguire
  • Options
    He pulls out the challenge, but pushes him over by pulling out.
  • Options
    Don’t think that was a pen but have seen them given for less 
  • Options
    Foul given against Walker for pretty much the same thing Maguire got away with
  • Options
    Is anyone able to remove Dion Dublin from co-commentary please?

And that was a pen.