Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• I think he would do until the end of the season.

It would need to be a short deal though to allow us to move him on easily. Perhaps an 18 month contract. 

Thing is, would he sign on such a short contract...maybe 2 years with a years option on our side, but he would def do a job for us in that physical hold up play we have been missing...
    It's 12 months longer than his Port Vale contract is for and for no doubt more money. + he's from London so I think he'd be keen. 
  • Anyone know if Port Vale play Ikpeazu as a lone striker or in a front two?
  • Scoham said:
    Anyone know if Port Vale play Ikpeazu as a lone striker or in a front two?
    Is how they apparently lined up against us

Port Vale FC - Charlton Athletic, Jan 6, 2024 - League One - Match sheet | Transfermarkt

Although James Wilson (playing just behind him to the Right) is a Striker.
  • edited January 18
    Carl Leaburn mark2?
    Mendonca on record that Carl was the best strike partner he ever played with, which is saying something considering he played with Andy Hunt
    And Coiln Walsh spoke very highly of him, a midfielders / defenders dream always available to receive the ball short or long, high or low holding it up to lay off.
  • edited January 18
    Brownie12 said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    This reminds of a Josh Parker kind of signing 
    Or worse still, Omar Bogle.
    ‘Worse still’?? Humph. 
    Did a great job for us, and got binned off like some discarded fag packet. 
  • Remember the last striker we signed directly from Port Vale.....Andy Jones. 

Although to be fair he had a good record at this level.
  • Scoham said:

Port Vale FC - Charlton Athletic, Jan 6, 2024 - League One - Match sheet | Transfermarkt

Yeh that’s what it looked like to me with Wilson and Chislet just behind / in support of him in a 3-4-2-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:
    Scoham said:

Yeh that’s what it looked like to me with Wilson and Chislet just behind / in support of him in a 3-4-2-1.
    Wonder if thats something we may look at.

Fiorini and May behind a Target Striker, with two from Bakinson - Coventry - Dobson in the midfield.
  • fenaddick said:
    pettgra said:
    If Oxford and us are prepared to pay allegedly 400k for a League 2 striker how much is CBT worth. A player in his prime who has more assists and goals this season. Hope we are holding out for a decent fee. 
    except he’s a L1 striker with lots of time left to develop and longer left on his contract. My hunch is that we want around 500k for CBT and that’s where the money to bid for strikers is coming from 
    While we've taken steps forward with the new signings, if we lose dobbo and/or CBT it will be a step back.
  • Sage said:
    Good friends with Aneke and there are strong similarities in their style of play. That relationship might work in our favour too.

Ikpeazu and May and then from February onwards, Aneke can come off the bench for him for the last 20 minutes (don’t laugh)
    May & Ikpeazu subbed for Aneke and Kanu if necessary.
  • edited January 18
    So we are linked with the big man I described as the modern day Akpo Sodje….great! 
  • Has Ikpeazu actually been confirmed as a target by anyone we’d believe?
  • Reading Twitter a few Vale fans delighted and saying they will drive him down to us. 
  • Have worked out who Swisdom's CB/DCM is and I now have a Kinks song as an earworm.

Great song, no idea on the player but I'll give him 20 minutes into his debut before I judge him.
  • edited January 18
    fenaddick said:
    DOUCHER said:

Got to he honest, I'd be a bit underwhelmed by this. Stockton at least has a history of a decent strike rate, Goodwin has potential and JCH is an absolute bagsman that's also a physical presence. 

Uche is just a bit of a handful, poor strike rate.
    he's not perfect but the difference he'd make to our team would be huge 
    But he will also cost a fee? 

For me this just isn't a good signing, 29 in a month (same age as the 'old' JCH), barely made an impact anywhere he has played. 

This just smacks of desperation and not a signing where a plan has been put in place. I don't imagine he would be a part of our build for next season..

Hopefully Wycombe will outbid us on this one.
    The implication from that Sky paragraph is he’d be free. I’d imagine cheap wages too 
    If it was free it would be for next season, I can't imagine why Port Vale would be willing to lose one of their only strikers for free tbh. 

Cheap wages but still wages, could potentially be another one we have sitting their wasting wages and blocking other transfer activity.

Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:

Got to he honest, I'd be a bit underwhelmed by this. Stockton at least has a history of a decent strike rate, Goodwin has potential and JCH is an absolute bagsman that's also a physical presence. 

For me this just isn't a good signing, 29 in a month (same age as the 'old' JCH), barely made an impact anywhere he has played. 

This just smacks of desperation and not a signing where a plan has been put in place. I don't imagine he would be a part of our build for next season..

I don’t get the way of thinking (the last bit) - if we don’t get him what makes you think we’d get better? The longer we wait the more risk we end up with someone further down the list or worse, no new striker at all.

This could also be one of those situations where we have a few possibilities, but we have to keep some moving along to ensure we get the type of player we need, even if we have to go with a short term option.

Because we have been heavily linked with one of the best strikers in the league, it's quite underwhelming to go from that to a player who's probably not even top20 material.

Just don't think it's a good signing is all 
    No one thinks it's a very good signing.
    Many people think that if he's the best available to us for this season, then it's better than nothing.

Port Vale are level on points with Charlton and have a game in hand.
    If you think Port Vale would be wrong to sell/release him, I don't understand why you can't continue the thought process and think it would be beneficial to Charlton (to help avoid relegation). 
    Because one man's trash is another man's treasure and vice versa. 

I don't believe he would be as important to us as he is allegedly to Port Vale, the reviews seem mixed. 

I'll just wait and see (all we can do), either way, this is firmly starting to look like a typical January if it wasn't for Conor Coventry, especially if CBT does go and potentially Dobson.

Failed to get out top targets (except Coventry)

Failed to keep our prized assets (likely)

Added stop gaps and unproven players to the ranks to tide us over. Gillesphey will be Hector's replacement likely, so we still need another centre back.

I'll get stick for it, as anyone who doesn't praise them does, but we are miles off it still and a striker that doesn't score (I understand he has more to his game) and a third choice goalie isn't going to cut it. 
    Not really a fair assessment that though is it? We wanted to get a left sided centre half and we got the one we wanted in Gillesphey. We obviously bid for Abbey but he's got Premier League interest so that was never going to happen. Our top target up front was JCH but if we've had a £500k bid accepted, offered him more than£10k a week and he's said no because he wants more then what can we do? Goodwin is unfortunate but we got done on location, can't help that. We've had to go down our list on strikers but there's not a lot of obvious options out there and JCH sounds like he's been a bit of a penis. Appleton's first choice signing was clearly Fiorini and we got him along with a physical midfielder and Coventry who we beat a Championship team to. If we're changing formation to a shape that doesn't fit CBT and getting money to fund players who do then overall that's a positive. Coventry alone makes a better window than Bonne, Penney and Kilkenny
    The players you mention are replacing outgoing players though in all likeliness.

I think it's fair, but that's my view. I genuinely just shouldn't post about it as it just ends up being a case of people arguing over what they do when it's all irrelevant and they're going to do what they want in the end and we just have to watch it. 

Good luck to Uche

NabySarr said:
    fenaddick said:
    DOUCHER said:

The implication from that Sky paragraph is he’d be free. I’d imagine cheap wages too 
    If it was free it would be for next season, I can't imagine why Port Vale would be willing to lose one of their only strikers for free tbh. 

Cheap wages but still wages, could potentially be another one we have sitting their wasting wages and blocking other transfer activity.

Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:

I don’t get the way of thinking (the last bit) - if we don’t get him what makes you think we’d get better? The longer we wait the more risk we end up with someone further down the list or worse, no new striker at all.

This could also be one of those situations where we have a few possibilities, but we have to keep some moving along to ensure we get the type of player we need, even if we have to go with a short term option.

Because we have been heavily linked with one of the best strikers in the league, it's quite underwhelming to go from that to a player who's probably not even top20 material.

Just don't think it's a good signing is all 
    No one thinks it's a very good signing.
    Many people think that if he's the best available to us for this season, then it's better than nothing.

Port Vale are level on points with Charlton and have a game in hand.
    If you think Port Vale would be wrong to sell/release him, I don't understand why you can't continue the thought process and think it would be beneficial to Charlton (to help avoid relegation). 
    Because one man's trash is another man's treasure and vice versa. 

I don't believe he would be as important to us as he is allegedly to Port Vale, the reviews seem mixed. 

I'll just wait and see (all we can do), either way, this is firmly starting to look like a typical January if it wasn't for Conor Coventry, especially if CBT does go and potentially Dobson.

Failed to get out top targets (except Coventry)

Failed to keep our prized assets (likely)

Added stop gaps and unproven players to the ranks to tide us over. Gillesphey will be Hector's replacement likely, so we still need another centre back.

I'll get stick for it, as anyone who doesn't praise them does, but we are miles off it still and a striker that doesn't score (I understand he has more to his game) and a third choice goalie isn't going to cut it. 
    Is this your first January transfer window? Can’t expect them to fully rebuild the squad in January! 

It’s just about making some good signings, not being silly and overpaying, and leaving ourselves with less to do in the summer. I think we are doing a reasonable job at that so far, with 2 good permanent signings, and 2 loans that cover a short term need and could be potential permanent signings in the summer 
    Yes first January transfer window of course. 

So just for some clarity, this window doesn't count in the future when we discuss how many windows this regime has had? Cause so far the summer didn't count as they arrived too late, allegedly, and now January is a write off as it's a sellers market? 

Anyway yeah good signing, real strong lad, I'm sure he'll do a job at his 14th club. Can't wait to travel up and down the country to watch Uche do a job.
    You're getting more illogical with every post.
    Anyway, back to transfer rumours.
    I just lost interest after repeating myself. Thought I'd just join in and be happy over the signing. No matter what I use as my reasoning someone will flip it, rather than go up against the pack just best to go along with it.

That's how this thread goes. You simply cannot be against a signing or voice your views or it's a swarm of petty posts, subtle digs and a sense of unwelcome. 

• Sponsored links:

• Richard J said:
    Remember the last striker we signed directly from Port Vale.....Andy Jones. 

I liked Andy Jones, just didn’t work out at Charlton for him - he always put a shift in, unlike some of the melts in this squad 
  • as it stands Goodwin still a Cheltenham player.
  • Leuth said:
    We need to sign players locally, who won't get homesick. Local League Two teams seem like a good place to look. Who's Gillingham's striker?
    Macaulay Bonne?
    Bonne is Gills top scorer this season with 3.
    O dear, Whatever happened to the new chairman splashing the cash to fire them out of the division.?  Bonne as your main striker 😂
    As long as he ain't your designated driver!
  • edited January 18
    I had never knowingly seen Ikpeazu play before our match vs Port Vale and I am always hesitant to draw too many conclusions based on single showings vs. our fragile defence, but he certainly was a handful and bullied our back line physically. I would say it was reminiscent of what we have seen Aneke do to opposition teams quite a few times. This may be just a case of Andy Scott putting another iron in the fire while we see if any other potential deals can come to fruition, or it may be a Josh Parker style stop-gap signing to the end of the season, or they may genuinely feel he is an unpolished gem that we can something more out of. Either way, physicality wise, at least, he does seem to fit the profile of what we are looking for and I think it is important we bring in someone who can provide some hold up play as a foil for May.
  • Have worked out who Swisdom's CB/DCM is and I now have a Kinks song as an earworm.

Great song, no idea on the player but I'll give him 20 minutes into his debut before I judge him.
    Is he made of plastic? Or into his fashion?
  • Richard J said:
    Remember the last striker we signed directly from Port Vale.....Andy Jones. 

I liked Andy Jones, just didn’t work out at Charlton for him - he always put a shift in, unlike some of the melts in this squad 

I bet he is a lump now, he was a big lad when he was kicking a ball for us.
  • edited January 18
    One of the things that's worth mentioning with any relatively unknown player coming in is sometimes it takes a certain type of system/style of play to make players shine. Ultimately under Appleton we don't yet know what that is because we've played a mediocre season under one formation which arguably could be due to the players he inherited, but some examples from recent years where the players we (mostly) considered average or worse that ended up being decent for other teams:
    Josh Magennis, Deji Oshilaja, Ben Amos, Albie Morgan, Conor Washington, Ben Amos, Elliott Lee. I'm sure there'll be people saying 'oh I rated him', but you can't say these were top players for us but undeniably are all playing better football outside of the Charlton system. The same can work in reverse, so give players like Uche a chance before writing them off.
  • Surely there is a premier league youngster available on loan for the rest of the season?

Our top choice targets seem to have past us by as well as the young and upcoming punts for the future so if we cant find a permanent option on a long term deal lets take a loan now and see if later in the month anything has changed. Someone could be willing to negotiate or desperate for a move, or a club could sign a striker freeing up someone for a late move. 
  • robroy said:
    Reading Twitter a few Vale fans delighted and saying they will drive him down to us. 
    That’s just wind ups. Ignore Twitter. 
    The posts from the Port Vale forum are probably more enlightening, because they were written before news of our (alleged) interest in signing him came out.