Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• 4 players in this window, 6 more to go!
  • sam3110 said:
    Ladapo is 6'1" so has a presence about him, but I think one of his strengths watching him is his versatility. He's pretty quick, but also strong, runs the channels and can hold up the ball, and can finish. That's what we want as it means he can play up front on his own if needed
    So he's Lyle Taylor 2.0.
  • sam3110 said:
    Ladapo is 6'1" so has a presence about him, but I think one of his strengths watching him is his versatility. He's pretty quick, but also strong, runs the channels and can hold up the ball, and can finish. That's what we want as it means he can play up front on his own if needed
    So he's Lyle Taylor 2.0.
    Hopefully without the shitty end to his Charlton career
  • 4 players in this window, 6 more to go!
    3/4 according to MA
  • Personally I think we are building for a big push next season, and we're using this window to get the foundations in place. As I've said before on many occasions the owners of our club are minted, and will want to make a success of it, even if it is for their own personal gain. Mr Friedman alone is worth 5b, and a very astute businessman. The summer window will be where we really push for signings.

Next season will be one to watch imo.
    Not completely convinced but I’ve given you a like.
  • Macronate said:
    Excellent business so far, knew he’d come good:

Must have lent Scott his super duper transfer phone. 
  • Sure a lot of that stuff must be past it's use by date?
  • Macronate said:

Unlike that fraud, Scott seems to have at least charged the phone up a bit for this window.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 13
    Macronate said:

We should have known Southall was taking the piss earlier. Two company phones is outrageous. At least he only had one Range Rover 
  • Personally I think we are building for a big push next season, and we're using this window to get the foundations in place. As I've said before on many occasions the owners of our club are minted, and will want to make a success of it, even if it is for their own personal gain. Mr Friedman alone is worth 5b, and a very astute businessman. The summer window will be where we really push for signings.

Next season will be one to watch imo.
    Not completely convinced but I’ve given you a like.
    I'll take that. 
  • Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    People can’t stop themselves from finding a negative spin on things. It honestly amazes me.
    Don’t worry, plenty on here still!! 
    I don’t know why some thought they’d spend millions buying the club and covering the losses only to bring in frees and loans. They were always going to pay fees for players, just as RD and TS did.

It might be that it’s partly funded by selling players, but I have no issue with that as long as we end the window with a stronger and more balanced squad than when we went into it.

Yes, this has always been my thought and why my only question at the Bromley Addicks thing recently was whether the £10-12M number was accurate and whether it was paid upfront in cash. It was a reassuring answer.
    Putting together a SMT to then put the plan in place also wise.
    They were always going to spend.
    The question is, are the SMT good enough to spend well and how long will the owners hang around if not.
    The 4 incomings to date all seem a step up generally and could be here next season even re the loanees.  We remain at least 4-5 short of a promotion capable squad though and those 4-5 are all at the elite player level imo.
    The really odd thing is why they didn't go harder in the summer, I get they bought the club late which won't have helped but acquiring JCH who was still available and a couple of others would see us challenging for play offs this season and could have saved them many £m's of being stuck here again next year.  That was a big fail imo.
    Should the SMT not deliver then I’d expect them to be replaced rather than the money men upping sticks. They obviously rely on Methven at this point but they’re not stupid either. They’ll be taking other football advice if we’re not top six next season or at the very least the season after. I definitely agree that the intention was always to spend enough money to get out of league one. Consolidate in The Championship and see which way the mop flops. As an investment with a plan of getting a return, the club has to reach The Premier League. I’m guessing they’ve given themselves three years to get out of league one and another three to start challenging at the top of The Championship. Anything else just doesn’t stack up. 
  • Scoham said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    People can’t stop themselves from finding a negative spin on things. It honestly amazes me.
    Don’t worry, plenty on here still!! 
    I don’t know why some thought they’d spend millions buying the club and covering the losses only to bring in frees and loans. They were always going to pay fees for players, just as RD and TS did.

It might be that it’s partly funded by selling players, but I have no issue with that as long as we end the window with a stronger and more balanced squad than when we went into it.

Yes, this has always been my thought and why my only question at the Bromley Addicks thing recently was whether the £10-12M number was accurate and whether it was paid upfront in cash. It was a reassuring answer.
    Putting together a SMT to then put the plan in place also wise.
    They were always going to spend.
    The question is, are the SMT good enough to spend well and how long will the owners hang around if not.
    The 4 incomings to date all seem a step up generally and could be here next season even re the loanees.  We remain at least 4-5 short of a promotion capable squad though and those 4-5 are all at the elite player level imo.
    The really odd thing is why they didn't go harder in the summer, I get they bought the club late which won't have helped but acquiring JCH who was still available and a couple of others would see us challenging for play offs this season and could have saved them many £m's of being stuck here again next year.  That was a big fail imo.
    Should the SMT not deliver then I’d expect them to be replaced rather than the money men upping sticks. They obviously rely on Methven at this point but they’re not stupid either. They’ll be taking other football advice if we’re not top six next season or at the very least the season after. I definitely agree that the intention was always to spend enough money to get out of league one. Consolidate in The Championship and see which way the mop flops. As an investment with a plan of getting a return, the club has to reach The Premier League. I’m guessing they’ve given themselves three years to get out of league one and another three to start challenging at the top of The Championship. Anything else just doesn’t stack up. 
    I think you're right, the money men will be expecting whatever the promise is within perhaps the typical 5 year horizon and won't up sticks too early without really good reasons.
    They'll have regular updates from the SMT & CM on the plan, budget, milestones and progress and will also have 'their people' keeping an eye on things and getting independent 'how's it looking' reports from somewhere other than the SMT/CM.
    CM may well be able to distance himself from the 'operations' in case things don't go to plan, Rodwell and Scott are right in the firing line.
     For me it's looking so far so good in this window. Excluding the guys already on loan and Abankwah who still shows as a squad member we've got a current headcount of 31 on the club website so I'm guessing the 3 x 8 thing is more a budget target for the medium term but some will go out on transfer or loan before the end of the month.
  • The financial clout of this ownership  is much higher than its ever been. While it remains to be seen how much is prepared to be spent, this window so far has attracted envious eyes from a number of other club’s supporters. Long may it continue.
  • Sponsored links:

• Macronate said:

Should have known something was wrong with those room temp drinks.
  • For me an ownership group is primarily judged on three things.  One - do they have the wealth to invest meaningful dollars on transfers.  Two - do they have the commitment to continue to pay for transfers on a consistent basis over time (understanding that the amount of investment can wax and wane over the years.  Three - do they pick a senior leadership team who understand the sport but just as importantly learn from their mistakes to correct poor decisions related to poor player signings/ poor manager selections.

Based on the backgrounds/bios of the owners, I think it is pretty clear that the current owners meet criteria number one.  The other two are certainly TBD but certainly there are encouraging signs that they may be learning from some initial mistakes.  The continued question on my end is will they be willing to continue to invest and not just in the first year or two.  Lest we forget, both douchealet and Saandgard both initially sank money into decent sized transfer fees but then either due to a lack of interest (Roland) or changing personal financial circumstances (Saandgaard) backed off significantly.
  • Today is rare opportunity for the most Alpha transfer dealing of all time. Announce JCH at Half-Time and parade him around in front of the Peterborough fans #DareToDream
    That’ll make up for the 3-0 half time score line
  • Croydon said:
    Looks as though CBT could be off. Losing him would be a hammer blow to this window's overall look imk
    It’s shit but was inevitable. Might as well get a bit of cash out of him 
  • Croydon said:
    Looks as though CBT could be off. Losing him would be a hammer blow to this window's overall look imk
    It’s shit but was inevitable. Might as well get a bit of cash out of him 
    100% this