Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD (+POST p23): Charlton Athl v Cray Valley PM: FA Cup šŸ†1st Rd: Sun 5 Nov 2023 | KO 17:30

Comments

• Options
    Thomas, Kirk and Tedic have been woeful. McGrandles and Anderson only marginally better. Nbankwah will go back in January if Appleton won't give him a chance in his proper position in a game like this l, there is no point him being here. Fraser has strolled around looking largely uninterested and I forgot Edun was playing. Chem Campbell has tried to make things happen but is pretty ineffective.

Quick passing and movement is the way to beat these sort of teams and we have done neither.

The way Appleton was marching up and down and muttering to himself I suspect they are getting both barrells at the moment.
  • Options
    That can best be described as a half of football.Ā 

Not great watching. We don't look like we're trying overly hard and we're winning. They are content to sit off until about 40 yards from goal where they look very aggressive and organized.

I am very much of the belief that there is nothing to be gained from games like this except a win and some match fitness for players coming back from injury. If we win, I'll be content.Ā 
  • Options
    Paul Konchesky adds absolutely nothing as a pundit. Can barely string a sentence together and his over exaggerated East London accent is annoying. Nothing even half intelligent comes out his mouthĀ 
  • Options
    First team starters not much to worry about from their understudies on that showing, only a couple worthy of challenging for a place but I think we already knew that šŸ˜¤.
  • Options
    That was awful. Ā Need to pay Kirk off as no chance weā€™ll sell him. Ā At least free up a slot to sign someone who actually has a tiny amount of enthusiasmĀ 
  • Options
    Kirk is absolute pants, please take that waste of space off.Ā Ā 
  • Options
    Hm. We're winning but there's very few players out there who look genuinely too good for Cray. Campbell, Anderson and McGrandles are the only ones who really look it. Campbell is obviously miles ahead but isn't influencing the game enough. Anderson is too strong for them but his passing has been a bit erratic. McGrandles mercifully has actually looked really good. He's won his challenges, his positioning has been good and he's been very tidy with the ball. He's playing the deeper role Garner wanted to use him in and he's been very good at it. Can't read too much into a good performance into an 8th tier team, but then as we've seen players can definitely look bad against them so may as well enjoy a decent enough showing.Ā 
    At the back Edun looks like he really enjoys giving the ball away and is absolutely determined to do something regardless of if that something is on or not. It's very annoying. Ness has been so loose in possession. Thomas has been good at blocking but not much else. Abankwah started shakily but he's realised he's quicker and stronger than these Cray players and he's settled down a bit. Fraser needs to do a bit more as he's been pretty languid and Tedic has had nothing to work with.
    And Kirk. Fucking hell. I hate digging out our players but he's actually terrible and I have nothing positive to say about him except that I found it genuinely funny when he stayed down after giving the ball away from our corner and starting an opposition counter. Wish he'd not got back up.
  • Options
    This is what you get when you completely change the team. No cohesion as the players haven't played together & cant read runs etc.Ā 

I always go back to the old days. When teams played cup completion after cup competition....replay after replay withĀ  virtually the same side.Ā 

Some players in Forests European Cup win players 70 games that season.Ā  Winning is a habit.Ā 
  • Options
    It's not been the most exciting of games, but hey we've scored and we have a clean sheet. Unless they have come for the proverbial day out, the pressure is on them now. They've done well so far but I reckon they'll get tired and crack before long. Keep the faith. This match is there for the taking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    BBC must regret picking this gameĀ 
    Disagree. The last thing they wanted was Charlton to be 4-0 up, and game over at HT.
    Maybe it's coming across different on TV but it has all the intensity and atmosphere of a pre season game atmĀ 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Please put CBT on for Charlie Kirk, and Dobson and Louie watson for whoever as I don't want Charlton to look so bloody average on the BBC. It's embarrassing enough for me to have Palace and Chelsea fans as neighbours as we continue to establish ourselves as a League 1 side.

This is a 8th level team that play the likes of Sevenoaks who I watch occasionally and Freddie Parker played for them last season and wasn't great.

If we get out of 1st gear we will score at least 5
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Perhaps Kirk would show more enterprise if he were made captain :)
    Just his log. šŸ’©Ā 
  • Options
    Please, please MA get Kirk off and get rid in January, it will have to be a free as no one will pay money for him. If he knew how to tackle it might be a start. I like Abankwah, one of the better players tonight and C Campbell having a good game
  • Options
    Ā Winning is a habit.Ā 
    Not for Charlton.
  • Options
    11 changes, winning, no injuries. Cheer up everyoneĀ 
    This forum is dour at the best of times, but I really just donā€™t get it today.Ā 

We are in no danger of losing, .Ā 
    I think our players are playing with that attitude too. Iā€™m in the ground and you sense the longer it stays like this the more vulnerable we are. They wonā€™t tire if we continue playing at the same intensity and 80% stroking across the back line like a shit England v San Marino.

2nd goal absolutely vital here with this 11
  • Options
    Awful first half, dire.Ā 
  • Options
    Just his log. šŸ’©Ā 
    Tell him there's Clingons on the starboard bow... He might shift his arse, or not!
  • Options
    Just his log. šŸ’©Ā 
    His log would play better
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure how anyone can be happy with what weā€™ve seen so far.Ā 
  • Options
    Oh good, Kirkā€™s come back out.
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Shit first half . This isnā€™t over . Total lack of respect from Appleton and heā€™s gone down in my estimation for it .Ā 
    Kirk is as bad against non league players as he is in the league . He looks uninterested.Ā 
    Give it ten minutes and bring the big guns on .Ā 

Iā€™m just glad I didnā€™t travel to see this .Ā 
    Why 'lack of respect'? This is our first team squad, not the youth team. If our squad players can't beat a league 8 team then we are in trouble.
    Maybe my expectations have been wrecked by years of piss poor cup selections, but I was pleasantly surprised when I saw today's team.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    I think Kirk wants to be here as much we want him to be here. It's a sad situation for both player and club, he knows he will not get that wage anywhere else and unless he takes a huge cut he will still be here.Ā 
    But this is a great chance for him to put himself in the shop window and prove he deserves a decent contract and he's not come anywhere close to that.
  • Options
    Kirk just a waste of space. Does not seem at all interested. Lucky he didnā€™t gift Cray a goal.Ā 
  • Options
    Sunday TV on the BBC really is poor isnā€™t it šŸ˜‰
  • Options
    What side is it on? Says BBC 2 on Sofascore but canā€™t find it anywhere on the bbc app
    Donā€™t worry. Found it.Ā 
    Wasn't worried anyway...šŸ™„šŸ˜‰
    I wasnā€™t asking you šŸ˜‰
  • Options
    Does Walker have inflatable gloves on?Ā 
    Are they allowed?
  • Options
    The only real decision is when Appleton decides to make the changes. You would assume Mcgrandles/Edun will be off shortly as this is their first game back.

Probably wonā€™t be comfortable until Leaburn/May are brought on.

• Options
    Can we swap Kirk for Lisbie Jr?

Far too often our players are standing, waiting for the ball to be passed to them.

I'm really not sure that the live video is more or less concerning than just following updates.