Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton players you rated that never reached the level you expected...

12346»

Comments

• mendonca said:
    Ricky Fuller and Deon Burton impressed me more than I expected, with excellent centre forward play. 

Poyet surprised with his demise. Was it motivation, boredom, pushy Dad
    Just the opposite I think, I'm sure I read that he advised Diego to stay at Charlton but he ignored the advice & we all know where that led.
  • Always thought Stuart Fleetwood would have a similar impact to Alfie May. Bought from a West Country lower league team, where he’d banged them in. No goals then tumbled back down the leagues. 
  • Valley11 said:
    Always thought Stuart Fleetwood would have a similar impact to Alfie May. Bought from a West Country lower league team, where he’d banged them in. No goals then tumbled back down the leagues. 
    I do wonder how much we stunted him. He made one cup appearance for us so I have absolutely no idea if he was good or not but he had 28 goals in 41 games for Forest Green and he might have ended up a better player if he'd gone through the leagues rather than being sent out on infinity loans every few months while we got more and more toxic. Maybe he was just rubbish though, who knows?
  • I'll add one more name to my Micky Bennett above from the same period.

Gordon Watson. I really thought he would go on and have a stellar career at the top level but it never really happened.
    See the link I posted above re: most expensive tackle of all tike for why 
    Thanks - I'd missed that.

Completely forgotten that Watson had been the recipient of a horror tackle as well. And also cant remember - did he play on after that or  have to pack up?
  • I'll add one more name to my Micky Bennett above from the same period.

Gordon Watson. I really thought he would go on and have a stellar career at the top level but it never really happened.
    See the link I posted above re: most expensive tackle of all tike for why 
    Thanks - I'd missed that.

Completely forgotten that Watson had been the recipient of a horror tackle as well. And also cant remember - did he play on after that or  have to pack up?
    He played a few games for Bradford once he recovered then went to Bournemouth & Hartlepool.

He sat at the table next to us when we were in hospitality for Southampton away in 2009. He was huge. 
  • siblers said:
    In terms of incoming, Rommedahl 
    That goal against Palace though 

For all the frustrations with him, he'll be forever remembered for 'that' goal.
  • Has anyone mentioned Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank and John Barnes.  The latter never scored for the Addicks and JFH scored 4 in 29 games.
  • Has anyone mentioned Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank and John Barnes.  The latter never scored for the Addicks and JFH scored 4 in 29 games.
    They were both winding down their careers when they were with us 
    They were both winding down their careers when they were with us 

In the case of the Chelsea prick he had wound down his career when he joined us.
    He came on as sub at Anfield, our last game in the Premier League, 3000 Charlton sang "you're just a fat Eddie Murphy".
  • Big Fat Peter Garland. I thought he was mustard for a while just after he first arrived from Newcastle, and he scored some cracking goals 
    Then he got sent off against Millwall at the Valley and was never quite the same.

• Sponsored links:

• More a wish he had done well but suffered injuries before his career kicked off. Mambo, had so wanted to see Mambo no 5 be a mainstay of our defence for years. Covered end would have a field day with new lyrics 
  • edited November 2023
    Has anyone mentioned Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank and John Barnes.  The latter never scored for the Addicks and JFH scored 4 in 29 games.
    Think you've misunderstood the thread, both had great careers. Getting to play for us was the icing on their cakes. 
  • Big Fat Peter Garland. I thought he was mustard for a while just after he first arrived from Newcastle, and he scored some cracking goals 
    Then he got sent off against Millwall at the Valley and was never quite the same.

I can’t remember Garland ever being mustard. Scored two goals in 50 odd appearances for Charlton . The fact he came from Newcastle raised expectations but always  looked unfit whenever I saw him play.
  • After today close the thread, the answer is Charlie Kirk.
  • Bournesnr said:
    After today close the thread, the answer is Charlie Kirk.
    I never rated him from the first time I saw him & he's at the level I expected (ok maybe even worse than I expected)
  • All of them today.
  • Looking into the future, Conor Gallagher.

I can’t remember Garland ever being mustard. Scored two goals in 50 odd appearances for Charlton . The fact he came from Newcastle raised expectations but always  looked unfit whenever I saw him play.
    The only thing Garland raised was his weight.
  • Rudders22 said:
    Raza, Steve Portway 
    Did Steve Portway ever sign for us ? I remember a lot of speculation, but can’t recall actually signing him ? (Might well be wrong) 
    He didn't sign for us, you are right. I might be wrong, but did he have a trial with us? Does that count, probably not

• Sponsored links:

• Ricky Otto. Looked a fantastic prospect at Southend . Followed Barry Fry to Birmingham but didn’t push on. Had a loan spell at Charlton then seemed to disappear.
  • Ricky Otto. Looked a fantastic prospect at Southend . Followed Barry Fry to Birmingham but didn’t push on. Had a loan spell at Charlton then seemed to disappear.
    He's been on here for years.