Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton players you rated that never reached the level you expected...

Comments

• Options
    Wasn't it Parkinson who Josh Wright fell out with. Laid on travel etc for his family after being promised that he would play and then Parky changed his mind

• Options
    From the old days, Micky Bennett.

Genuinely thought he would be something special before injuries slowed him down.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    That really fast full back with a complicated surname. Saw him play for the first time and thought, that kid is going to be immense! Now I can't even remember his name. 

Tariq Holmes-Dennis? - He fell foul to the Charlton full-back curse, with injuries f**king him... If that's who you mean
    No, although you're right that it could be him! French kid I think. I'll try Googling. Edit - Moutaouakil.
    Oh yes I remember him... Had big clubs interested in him, French U21 Captain before he joined us
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    MrLargo said:
    Chris Dickson, "the next Ian Wright".

Thought Paul Sturgess was another in the Scott Minto mould.

Can remember in a programme him saying he was going to 'fire us' back to the Premier League, didn't he end playing in the Cyprus Premier League, still would have been a bit warmer over there.
  • Options
    Moutouakill looked incredible on his debut then got injured away at Stoke???? (Think it was on Sky) and then was never the same player again. 
  • Options
    Madjid Bougherra.
    I saw him play for Wednesday v Birmingham and he was fantastic, a ball playing centre half.
    A shame it never worked out for him in SE7.
  • Options
    Wasn't it Parkinson who Josh Wright fell out with. Laid on travel etc for his family after being promised that he would play and then Parky changed his mind

You may well be right. I have a memory when it was all going wrong of Pardew changing the team up and throwing a load of kids in, then when we still lost digging those kids out for not being good enough but I might have misremembered
  • Options
    Diego Poyet by a country mile. Was by far and away the best player on the pitch in a toilet team for pretty much every match he played. Seem to recall his statbank ratings were ridiculous. Was absolutely convinced he was going to be a top 4 midfield player.

Scott Parker won England player of the year and footballer of the year. Could have maybe achieved more, but still had an exceptional career. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cant recall his name but we had an Algerian (?) left winger who i thought was mustard. Plyed under Pardew i think. Again, 3 good games and then toilet. Dare I say it, Paul Mortimer too. As you can see i rated him highly so when he left us I honestly thought he'd play for England. Having said that if he had gone on i wouldn't have had the joy of him returning later in his career and making me sooooo happy!
  • Options
    Cant recall his name but we had an Algerian (?) left winger who i thought was mustard. Plyed under Pardew i think. Again, 3 good games and then toilet. Dare I say it, Paul Mortimer too. As you can see i rated him highly so when he left us I honestly thought he'd play for England. Having said that if he had gone on i wouldn't have had the joy of him returning later in his career and making me sooooo happy!
    Hameur Bouazza? 
  • Options
    Alan Campbell 
    Richie Bowman
    Bob Curtis
    John Stenson
    Jonjo Shelvey
    Diego Poyet, of course

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Bouazza scored a screamer at home to Reading and then didn't really do anything else, think he got recalled in January by Fulham. Shame because I thought he was a bit of a coup to get after his spell at Watford.
  • Options
    Charlie McDonald. I thought he was going to be the next Michael Owen. 
  • Options
    Campbell Rice and Harriett I thought would do better than they did albeit both had decent lower league careers 

But Simon Francis the stand out for me.  I thought he would reach his non league level but he captained a PL team! 
  • Options
    Danny Hollands.

• Options
    Jordan Cousins - thought he was great when he broke into our team. My eldest still mocks me for comparing him to Steve Gerard
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Alan Campbell 
    Richie Bowman
    Bob Curtis
    John Stenson
    Jonjo Shelvey
    Diego Poyet, of course

Reminds me of Alan Ellis young midfielder how came up from the youth team.
    Only made a handful of appearances but looked re class. Around 1970 of the top of my head.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Talal said:
    Diego Poyet. 
    Still only 28. 

Retired footballer through choice and now assistant manager to the Greek national team.

I thought he would be a good water carrier and link up player at a high level but for various reasons he lost interest.
    So many young premier players want the first big contract so they can buy a house for their parents (or just mum)  but that wasn't the motivation with Gus Poyet as his Dad !
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Diego Poyet. 
    Still only 28. 

Retired footballer through choice and now assistant manager to the Greek national team.

I thought he would be a good water carrier and link up player at a high level but for various reasons he lost interest.
    So many young premier players want the first big contract so they can buy a house for their parents (or just mum)  but that wasn't the motivation with Gus Poyet as his Dad !
    Wonder how he got that job....
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Diego Poyet. 
    Still only 28. 

Wonder how he got that job....

No nepotism involved 🤥
  • Options
    Andy Jones - scored bucket loads of goals for Port Vale (37 in 86/87 season) - we sign him, and what a let down - I was genuinely excited when we bought him, and was desperate for him to do well for us
  • Options

Two spring to mind who have done ok but I though would be destined for bigger and better:

Lookman has petered out a little albeit still at decent level. His Everton debut alongside Lukaku was the stuff of dreams but he didn’t kick on. 

Gudmundson has had a decent turn at Burnley in the Premiership and championship but I thought he was good enough to do better.  
    Lookman is playing in the Europa League with Atalanta, and currently sitting 4th in Serie A. 
  • Options
    Going back a bit, Jim Ryan our Wales u/23 centre forward. He told me that he fell out with Frank Hill, manager, and lost his enthusiasm, which just goes to show how important the coaches/managers are to maintain confidence.
    Oh no doubt Diego Poyet should have been a super star but he just burnt out.
  • Options
    Andy Jones - scored bucket loads of goals for Port Vale (37 in 86/87 season) - we sign him, and what a let down - I was genuinely excited when we bought him, and was desperate for him to do well for us
    I think he must have joined Killer in the full English front!
  • Options
    I always thought Josh Wright was going to have a decent career. I saw him at Wembley for the Gills in the play off final. He was brilliant.