Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton players you rated that never reached the level you expected...

Comments

• edited November 2023
    swordfish said:
    Peter Shaw. The word "Colossus" is seldom applied, and rightly so in his case. He wasn't as great as the sum of his parts.
    Slated by most at the time, who can forget the disgraceful wanker song but he put everything on the line for Charlton, 100% everytime he pulled on the red shirt. Eventually won over most of the arseholes but Covered End of the time hang your heads in shame.
  • A lot of the names I'd say have already been mentioned, particularly Poyet, Parker and Cousins. 

Karlan Grant - Thought he was destined to be a premier league regular after he got the move to Huddersfield and his performances for us before that. He seems to have nailed down a spot at Cardiff who are doing well but West Brom fans slated him and he appears to be a championship journey man of sorts. I thought he would be the type of player Ollie Watkins is for Villa now 
  • @Bournesnr albie Morgan thought we might be brothers at one point the way he used to go
  • Yep Albie never reached the level I expected he might.
    My real son did and is a top bloke.
  • Igor, James Walker, Carl Jenkinson, Stacy Long, Nathan Ashton, but biggest for me Osei Sankofa; looked solid in Prem but ended up as non-league journeyman. 
  • Simon Webster, another one that got a bad injury after leaving us and failed to fulfil his potential. 

Though we had quite a few that got injured and had their careers terminated early: Rufus, Hunt, Mendonca, Holmes, Rowett to name but a few.
    Holmes not an injury - GBH by a complete and utter wank stain of a human being 
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3514673.stm

2nd most expensive tackle of all time

No. 1 rings a bell, too
  • Raza, Steve Portway 
  • Toby Stevenson. Hatrick on his debut the world at his feet. Last known sighting at Braintree.
  • Francis Jeffers, obvs.

£2.5 million, Jeez.
  • Sponsored links:

• swordfish said:
    Peter Shaw. The word "Colossus" is seldom applied, and rightly so in his case. He wasn't as great as the sum of his parts.
    Slated by most at the time, who can forget the disgraceful wanker song but he put everything on the line for Charlton, 100% everytime he pulled on the red shirt. Eventually won over most of the arseholes but Covered End of the time hang your heads in shame.
    Yeh, I second that.
    When my son was much younger I used to cite Peter Shaw as an example of what was meant by "character".
    He came from nonleague into a stuggling team, took time to settle and was scapegoated and jeered by his own fans (including me, lest I be called a hypocrite).
    He stuck to his task, guts'd his way through it and made himself a real asset.
    I have total respect for the man and learned that you can't just write players off without giving them a chance
  • Yaya Sanogo. ( loan )
  • Francis Jeffers, obvs.

£2.5 million, Jeez.

In terms of levels, he reached some incredible highs.

Most of which were probably illegally induced on the dance floor at The Venue though.
  • swordfish said:
    Yeh, I second that.
    When my son was much younger I used to cite Peter Shaw as an example of what was meant by "character".
    He came from nonleague into a stuggling team, took time to settle and was scapegoated and jeered by his own fans (including me, lest I be called a hypocrite).
    He stuck to his task, guts'd his way through it and made himself a real asset.
    I have total respect for the man and learned that you can't just write players off without giving them a chance
    I regret posting that. I just plucked a name from the distant past that I remember seeing play who was never going make it to the big time. I could just as easily have named Kevin Dickinson, another trier who gave his all but wasn't destined for greatness. Either way, it wasn't in keeping with the thread.

It's been said before, but Andy Jones came with great expectations and flattered to deceive. 
  • Rudders22 said:
    Raza, Steve Portway 
    Did Steve Portway ever sign for us ? I remember a lot of speculation, but can’t recall actually signing him ? (Might well be wrong) 
  • Rudders22 said:
    Raza, Steve Portway 
    Did Steve Portway ever sign for us ? I remember a lot of speculation, but can’t recall actually signing him ? (Might well be wrong) 
    No I don't think that he did  :D
  • Paul Gorman, remember a lot of excitement when we bought him. He was going to be the goalscorer we never had !! 

Very harsh. We picked him up for about £15k. He did as well as could be expected for someone with that price tag, even in 1991. He was.prolific at Fisher (at least I presume he was, hence our swoop) and did well for us. I liked him a lot.
  • Paul Gorman, remember a lot of excitement when we bought him. He was going to be the goalscorer we never had !! 

Very harsh. We picked him up for about £15k. He did as well as could be expected for someone with that price tag, even in 1991. He was.prolific at Fisher (at least I presume he was, hence our swoop) and did well for us. I liked him a lot.
    Not harsh at all. I liked him, thought he might kick on, not go back to non league with Welling. This thread is about personal opinion. 
  • I'll add one more name to my Micky Bennett above from the same period.

Gordon Watson. I really thought he would go on and have a stellar career at the top level but it never really happened.
  • Sponsored links:

Not harsh at all. I liked him, thought he might kick on, not go back to non league with Welling. This thread is about personal opinion. 
    Exactly. You gave yours and I've given mine. Happy days. 😊 
  • Diego Poyet. Close thread 
    Surely that's your job ;-)
    Dont tempt him.
  • Ricky Fuller and Deon Burton impressed me more than I expected, with excellent centre forward play. 

Poyet surprised with his demise. Was it motivation, boredom, pushy Dad? 
  • Not entirely one of ours I know but I remember watching Nathan Eccleston score a wonderful goal, receiving the ball back to the goal, turned and went and finished across the keeper and thinking there was no ceiling for him. When there very clearly was 

Gordon Watson. I really thought he would go on and have a stellar career at the top level but it never really happened.
    See the link I posted above re: most expensive tackle of all tike for why 

I always think of him and Paul Williams together - great Charlton hopes who were nicked by Sheffield Wednesday.  They both had good careers but not perhaps stellar.  Both played in a similar amount of games and scored a similar amount of goals and are both still involved with the game abroad.   
  • In terms of incoming, Rommedahl 
    That goal against Palace though 

For both, a little unfair - both suffered from bad injuries, with that tackle on Watson in particular belonging in a horror movie 
  • Jonjo and Aribo are the two for me who really surprised me the fact they have failed to sustain the obvious quality they have at the very highest level.
  • cafc_se7 said:
    Jonjo and Aribo are the two for me who really surprised me the fact they have failed to sustain the obvious quality they have at the very highest level.
    Good shout on Aribo. Thought the way he was playing at Rangers he would be able to make that step up to the Premier league. Instead he's getting a few sub minutes here and there in the Championship.