Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton players you rated that never reached the level you expected...

Comments

• Options
    Simon Webster, another one that got a bad injury after leaving us and failed to fulfil his potential. 

Though we had quite a few that got injured and had their careers terminated early: Rufus, Hunt, Mendonca, Holmes, Rowett to name but a few.
  • Options
    Ahmed Kashi.....he looked immense in his first few games. Covered every blade of grass and had a great range of passing.

Going back to the mid 80s - Jimmy Loveridge.
    This was going to be mine, I loved him so much. He was not only tenacious but he could play and distribute with both feet. He had a decent season after he came back from injury too, but he just wasn't the same. 

Igor would be another for me, same thing as Kashi, was never able to recover from injuries. 

I guess we can say JFC as this point as well. Remember watching him in England youth sides and for Brighton and thought he had a bright future. Thought when he came to us he'd either be a mainstay for years to come or would use it as a springboard back up the divisions. When he was healthy he was very good, but it's so hard to come back from two ACL injuries.

• Options
    Parker my top choice, but also Shelvey to some extent. Was sure he’d be an England regular. Seems temperament may have been a factor.
    Yeah it sounds like the "mental" side of the game was an issue for him. It also took him years to find a position. Parky played him as a 10 because he didn't have the positional discipline to play anywhere else, and then Liverpool didn't know what to do with him. By the time they signed him, the Gerrard all action box-to-box player had long since started fading out of the game. It really took Rafa playing him deeper for him to finally settle in somewhere.
  • Options
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Graham Tutt whose great future was brought to an end by another no mark.
  • Options
    Bournesnr said:
    Francis Jeffers and latterly Marcus Maddison.
    Thought they were both really good signings but neither lived up to my expectations.
    Was it Jeffers that was ‘fox in the box’?
  • Options
    Always thought Kyle Reid was exciting to watch.

Ricky Holmes as well.
  • Options
    Christian Ceballos. One dodgy corner later and the dream was dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzsTpwkhLg
  • Options
    I thought Paul Walsh would do better, even though he did have a good career. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Alex Dyer
    Kenny Achampong
    Kim Grant
    Ben Gotobed
  • Options
    Bournesnr said:
    Francis Jeffers and latterly Marcus Maddison.
    Thought they were both really good signings but neither lived up to my expectations.
    Was it Jeffers that was ‘fox in the box’?
    Only north of the Thames
  • Options
    I thouht Paul Walsh, who had a more than decent career, was going to have an even better one. I think the same could be said of Scott Parker. Both players ended up playing for England but they looked like they could be absolute superstars at one point.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Christian Ceballos. One dodgy corner later and the dream was dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzsTpwkhLg
    I was disappointed when he went back to STVV

He looked promising for us that last summer in Ireland during Pre-Season
  • Options
    Peter Shaw. The word "Colossus" is seldom applied, and rightly so in his case. He wasn't as great as the sum of his parts.
  • Options
    Lewis Page but having played barely 100 games in 10 years it answers why.
  • Options
    Simon Webster, another one that got a bad injury after leaving us and failed to fulfil his potential. 

Though we had quite a few that got injured and had their careers terminated early: Rufus, Hunt, Mendonca, Holmes, Rowett to name but a few.
    Webbo comes see matches at The Valley quite a bit - have seen him in the Oak a few times, and chatted to him - top bloke
  • Options

Webbo comes see matches at The Valley quite a bit - have seen him in the Oak a few times, and chatted to him - top bloke
    Any idea what his favourite smell is these days?
  • Options
    swordfish said:

Eh ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    swordfish said:

Eh ?
    Wasn't there a feature in a fanzine once carrying the title "Simon Webster's Favourite Smell"? I know I've a vivid imagination, but I couldn't have made that up could I? Anyone else remember it?
  • Options
    I thouht Paul Walsh, who had a more than decent career, was going to have an even better one. I think the same could be said of Scott Parker. Both players ended up playing for England but they looked like they could be absolute superstars at one point.
    Didn't Walsh have a falling out with the England manager at the time, can't think who that could have been, and scuppered his international career.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Didn't Walsh have a falling out with the England manager at the time, can't think who that could have been, and scuppered his international career.
    I think it was Walsh refusing to play for England B
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    I think it was Walsh refusing to play for England B
    Rings a bell, I think he went on holiday instead and Bobby Robson wrote him off after that.
  • Options

Holmes not an injury - GBH by a complete and utter wank stain of a human being 
    This 1000% A truly awful, nasty excuse for a human
  • Options
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Graham Tutt whose great future was brought to an end by another no mark.
    I think nobody has mentioned Graham because it wasn’t through him being a poor player that his career couldn’t progress
  • Options
    Poyet for me - I thought he was Parker with more technique .  Speaking of the latter , he had the career I thought he would have .  Outstanding for us and West Ham, decent for Spurs 
  • Options
    Quite a few discussed had their progress checked by injury, and I'd add Kevin Nicholls to that list.

• Options
    Quite a few discussed had their progress checked by injury, and I'd add Kevin Nicholls to that list.

I'd argue that Kevin Nicholls had a decent career. Absolutely adored by Luton Town fans, I agree when he came into the side I sat up and took notice of him and thought he was our ready made replacement for Lee Bowyer and would go higher but he was also one of those characters who managers either love and use as their eyes and ears on the ground or see as a loose-screwed, unhinged, shit-throwing maniac who needs to be a long way away from them