Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton players you rated that never reached the level you expected...

I had high hopes for Dillon Phillips but his career seems to have nosedived. I was never a great fan of Pope but he proved me wrong.

Comments

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    Scott Parker, even though he's the best midfielder I've seen play for Charlton. 

Definitely.  He was world class when he left us.  Genuinely incredible player and should have won so much more in his career

Another player I thought was going t be decent was Jermaine Darlington but he ended up having a basic career really.  I saw him once and thought he was going to be amazing.  Same could be said of Martin Christensen tbf
  • Options
    Recent players for us... Dylan Gavin

I guess some youngsters don't adapt to the Men's game, like they do in Youth games, but thought he'd do better than he has done.

Was constantly appearing on the Scoresheet for the U18s

Went on loan to Billericay, who got relegated, but he still scored nine goals in 18-games, and then... Nothing
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Thevinh Nguyen 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We had an exciting crop of strikers coming through the academy a few years ago - Umerah and Hanlan especially. I hoped (maybe more than expected) that one of them would make it at the top level. 
  • Options
    Francis Jeffers and latterly Marcus Maddison.
    Thought they were both really good signings but neither lived up to my expectations.
  • Options
    Chris Dickson, "the next Ian Wright".

Thought Paul Sturgess was another in the Scott Minto mould.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Talal said:
    Diego Poyet. 
    Still only 28. 
  • Options
    Kevin James. Used to watch quite a bit of the U18's back when he was in the team. That side had the likes of Parker, Konchesky and Charlie McDonald in it and he always seemed to be one of our better players. He had bags of pace and thought he'd be the natural replacement for Shaun Newton on the right. Barely did anything in his career, even in non-league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That really fast full back with a complicated surname. Saw him play for the first time and thought, that kid is going to be immense! Now I can't even remember his name. 

• Options
    In terms of incoming, Rommedahl 
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    That really fast full back with a complicated surname. Saw him play for the first time and thought, that kid is going to be immense! Now I can't even remember his name. 

Tariq Holmes-Dennis? - He fell foul to the Charlton full-back curse, with injuries f**king him... If that's who you mean
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Diego Poyet. 
    Still only 28 and has been retired 5 years after being without a club for two years prior to that.
    He’s assistant manager of Greece. 
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Diego Poyet. 
    Still only 28 and has been retired 5 years after being without a club for two years prior to that.
    He’s assistant manager of Greece. 
    Wonder how he managed to get that gig. Got to love a bit of nepotism in football.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Tariq Holmes-Dennis? - He fell foul to the Charlton full-back curse, with injuries f**king him... If that's who you mean
    I remember everyone here was raving about him, and dismissive of Morgan Fox, but it's the latter who went on to have the decent career.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    JiMMy 85 said:

I remember everyone here was raving about him, and dismissive of Morgan Fox, but it's the latter who went on to have the decent career.
    The moment he left Barry Bannan on his arse... :D - I've never known a Footballer hate a team for that sort of reason as a result
  • Options

Two spring to mind who have done ok but I though would be destined for bigger and better:

Lookman has petered out a little albeit still at decent level. His Everton debut alongside Lukaku was the stuff of dreams but he didn’t kick on. 

Gudmundson has had a decent turn at Burnley in the Premiership and championship but I thought he was good enough to do better.