Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Lincoln City vs Charlton Athletic: Tuesday 24th October 2023 | KO 7:45pm

1234568»

Comments

• edited October 2023
    I don't think we need to read the rest of the season into that performance. They competed for everything and I suspect having scored and knowing they don't score many we took a bit off the attacking gas which was enough to let them back. They played hard, brave attacking football from a goal down which they maintained afterwards. The width had to work which it stopped doing so, or Lincoln stopped it doing so.

I think something I have known already which Tuesday only confirmed, is that Campbell and Leaburn can get bullied when opponents win the physical battles and CBT can be stopped if teams double up on him or have pace defensively. That is something they need to add to their game but it won't happen every game and in the case of CBT we need to find ways to counter it. I though Camara was decent when he came on and it was brave playing Fraser against that opponent away in that formation. It looked to have paid off at the start but we probably needed another midfielder in there. If we stick to that formation I'd like to see Camara in for Fraser on Saturday.
  • mendonca said:
    Are we scouting Sorenson now in the same manner we did DJ and Kirk? 

He had a good game, yes. Full stop.
    He also got dropped @ Lincoln by the now Charlton Manager.

Dont see that one happening anytime soon
  • edited October 2023
    Adelakun and Sorensen are their best players either would be a decent signing, quick, direct and can finish. Been watching a number of clips of adelakun since the game as I feel we need another winger in the side. 

However, judging on Tuesday's game alone would be foolish for either player as we just weren't up for it. A bit of complacency maybe given recent results.
  • Really relaxed after May scored, such was the confidence building run before this. Without the threat of CBT who they shut down well, we really had no outlet and they consistently stretched the defence with a great performance from Sorensen. The thing is, if he played like that every week, he’d not be in league one. Similarly with us, we have some great performers but consistency (hate to single him out but Hector is a prime example) really lets us down. 

We'll have more bad games, and until we can strengthen the defence in January it will be more than a couple, but we’re on a much surer footing under Appleton than we were under Holden. So I’ll take that crumb of comfort. 
  • If MA didn't rate Adelakun and Sorensen I hope there are no Bolton players he doesn't rate.
    It those two play consistently like Tuesday they would walk into our team!
  • edited October 2023
    If MA didn't rate Adelakun and Sorensen I hope there are no Bolton players he doesn't rate.
    It those two play consistently like Tuesday they would walk into our team!
    Probably the reason they're at Lincoln, and why Appleton didnt rate them

You see it all the time in Cup games where Footballers can raise their game in a one off match to win against the odds (Wigan when they beat Man City as a League One team), doesn't mean that they can raise their game on a regular basis like that though.
  • edited October 2023
    mendonca said:

Tbf I really rated Ryan Haynes and wanted Charlton to have a look after a pretty standout game against us in the 2018/19 season. He hasn't exactly done much since then haha. Can't always go overboard from a one off game

Would be a player to keep an eye on though if he was putting in shifts like that week in week off, as Forever said though, if Appleton is still our manager at the end of the season there's probably no chance anyway 
  • I travelled to the game in high spirits despite aggro with parking. Saw Adelakun in the line up and remembered him doing damage on a couple of painful trips to Scunthorpe alongside Josh morris. Sorensen was the best player on the pitch. But I partly agree with some of the posters… these fellas are probably in league 1 for a reason but …worth keeping a close eye on for January
  • edited October 2023
    mattwils said:
    I travelled to the game in high spirits despite aggro with parking. Saw Adelakun in the line up and remembered him doing damage on a couple of painful trips to Scunthorpe alongside Josh morris. Sorensen was the best player on the pitch. But I partly agree with some of the posters… these fellas are probably in league 1 for a reason but …worth keeping a close eye on for January
    They done the double on us in the 17/18 season, they had some very good players in their squad. Crazy to see their complete drop off.

Ivan Toney, Duane Holmes, Josh Morris, Hakeen Adelakun, Conor Townsend. What a group that was for league 1
  • The players clearly don’t read the match programme, gotta feel for Micky Apples.
  • Sponsored links:

• Three days later and I still can't get my head around this one.
    Was delighted to see us start with the team that finished against Reading.
    Fancied us to get something at Lincoln and go up against Bolton brimming with confidence.
    It's like the progress carefully stitched together under Appleton unravelled before our eyes.
    Bad day at the office? Maybe. Tactically outmanoeuvred? Maybe. Mentally brittle? Hmmm.
    Bolton game becomes pivotal now. Could signal which way our season is headed.
    I'm not confident of the outcome now though.
  • edited October 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    msomerton said:
    Said in the summer that I’d be happy if Hector left, I’ve never really rated him, but was told he was a Championship quality defender and we’d be lucky to have him. After last Saturday, when he apparently played well against a Reading team that hadn’t won away for 18 games, someone called him Premiership class. All bollocks. The bloke wanders around each week as if he doesn’t want to be here and only is because he couldn’t get a gig anywhere else. I’d actually rather someone who’s not as good but at least gives a shit.

And Curbs is right. If we are not playing well tonight then we needed someone to say to everyone, right, strap yourselves in, keep it tight, fight for everything and let’s just escape with a draw. I mean I love Dobbo but is he captain material? I never see him bawling out people or giving a youngster encouragement etc. When the chips are down we don’t have anyone who can drag the team through it.

A really awful performance by all bar AMB. Some I can easily forgive, Asiimwe, Campbell, Leanurn etc as they are still learning and hopefully they will learn quickly from this experience but others like Hector, Thomas and Jones, seasoned pros, need a kick up the arse pronto. 
    Hector has to be replaced by Ness. Been constantly letting us down this season.

Both Watsons will also hopefully come back into the side on Sat.
    Sorry Ness is no better than Hector at the moment. Being younger he can improve but will take time and he needs to be brought in slowly.
    Ness makes fewer mistakes. 
    I am not convinced he does last season, he was blessed to be partnered by Inniss who got the blame for everything.  Jones gets away with stuff now because it's always Hector's fault.

I’m not sure about either of these. Jones had hardly put a foot wrong over the last four or five games up til Lincoln, whereas Hector has made quite a few mistakes. Ness started unbelievably well, and again hardly made an error for his first eight matches. Whereas Inniss did. Btw, I liked Inniss,and Hector too, although my patience is wearing thin now. 
    Ness was definitely affected by the injury, but looked a bit more like the promising player we saw last season in his last couple of appearances, I thought. 👍
  • mendonca said:

Agreed. Watching him reminded me of somebody - then I remembered the highlights of Kirk in action doing the rounds when we signed him. Anyway Danes aren't exactly as popular at the Valley as they used to be.
  • Frustrating as always Charlton.

Our level of player are inconsistant because, they are not of a better standard and maybe have a sketchy injury record.  They have found a level and here it is. We fish in a L1/L2 pond.  The youngsters I can excuse being inconsistant but what sort of example do they see day in day out at the club, this cannot be good for their footballing education.  We have a lot of freeloaders in this squad, nothing has changed for a few seasons now.  Not sure what Mickey Apples can do with them.  Unfortunately the pearls we have, and we do have the odd one or three I can think of,  are mitigated, cancelled and let down by the general inconsistancy of the rest.

Not sure what we should expect of course, we are after all an established L1 team.  The Lincoln result is not all that surprising is it?  Groundhog Day for Charlton.