Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Lincoln City vs Charlton Athletic: Tuesday 24th October 2023 | KO 7:45pm

Comments

• Incredible reactions tonight, unbeaten in six and we're heading for promotion.  Lose one game and we're s***!
    You're getting too much sun Elfs. Take those rose coloured specs off!!

It's disappointing but it probably gives the Manager a better idea of what this side is capable of and not capable of. If we managed to get to the play offs we would certainly need more character than was on display last night.
  • edited October 2023
    We lost, convincingly. Sure some will blame a good ref because it's easier than accepting a shite performance from us but we lost that game ourselves. It was always going to happen but didn't expect it to come in that manner.

The game started scrappy from both sides but we looked comfortable in possession.and when we did break forward, broke well enough and that gave way too.... one quick,. excellent pass and movement and we were 0-1 and looking good to build on that, however, Lincoln were no mugs and did threaten showing that they could get back in it and we'd have to keep switched on.

We didn't.

Some complacent defending after going up that quickly turned into a horror show once they equalised. And that was that. We crumbled and never looked like getting back in it. Quite a few of ours didn't look at the races, the TC and Asiimwe combo didn't have the same effect starting as it does as a second half impact. Fraser used up all his leggy energy chasing down that one ball before his pre assist, Watson comes straight back in for me. Extra special mention for Hector, who, after putting in his "too good for league one" performance on Saturday went back into coasting through it mode.

Lincoln's Sorenson owned the pitch last night, we just had no idea how to handle.him at any point.

A deserved loss tbh.

• Having lived in Lincoln that was hard to take. Our performance was embarrassing in every respect starting with the team selection. This was a team for a home game and not for a battle against a hard working team. We lost the midfield which was controlled by their Erhahon and Hamilton. Defensively we couldn't cope with their intensity, a fact not helped by CBT and TC not making any defensive contribution. Overall we lacked quality, effort, fight and passion. The quality bit I can forgive but there is no excuse for the rest. MA seriously needs to find a way to win away from home or this season will be another write-off.... in fact it probably already is as I can't see things getting better. I hope I am wrong.
  • Watched it on stream. Poor goals we gave away after controlling the first 20 mins, Happy to only go in at HT 1-1. Thought we would start again but we got worse.

Dread corners and free kicks coming into our box as i don't think Maynard-Brewer is capable of dominating the 6 yard box and out central defenders not strong enough.

We are a good couple of defenders and a decent keeper short of even making a sniff of the top of the table at the moment, and i think Bolton will have a field day on Saturday. They wont waste chances like Reading did on Saturday.
  • I am gonna be a bit like curbs ..not getting too up after beating the bottom team but not too down after last night's reality check. We look good in the last 3rd but you've got to earn the right to attack by defending Well.AMB,Hector,Thomas and Fraser( defensively) won't get us near play off positions .
  • Let’s hope we can put things right on Saturday.
    write this one off as a bad day at the office.
    we all have them 
  • Sponsored links:

• Said in the summer that I’d be happy if Hector left, I’ve never really rated him, but was told he was a Championship quality defender and we’d be lucky to have him. After last Saturday, when he apparently played well against a Reading team that hadn’t won away for 18 games, someone called him Premiership class. All bollocks. The bloke wanders around each week as if he doesn’t want to be here and only is because he couldn’t get a gig anywhere else. I’d actually rather someone who’s not as good but at least gives a shit.

And Curbs is right. If we are not playing well tonight then we needed someone to say to everyone, right, strap yourselves in, keep it tight, fight for everything and let’s just escape with a draw. I mean I love Dobbo but is he captain material? I never see him bawling out people or giving a youngster encouragement etc. When the chips are down we don’t have anyone who can drag the team through it.

A really awful performance by all bar AMB. Some I can easily forgive, Asiimwe, Campbell, Leanurn etc as they are still learning and hopefully they will learn quickly from this experience but others like Hector, Thomas and Jones, seasoned pros, need a kick up the arse pronto. 
    Hector has to be replaced by Ness. Been constantly letting us down this season.

Both Watsons will also hopefully come back into the side on Sat.
  • jams said:
    The benefit of Fraser is the through ball to TC for the goal, the downside is he is so slow compared to L Watson we lose a lot of cover in front of the back 4
    Fraser doesn’t suit the deep midfield role Appleton has put him in. He’s better suited to the number 10 role that Alfie May (also being played out of position) currently has.

We need MA to find a formation that suits the squad. If we’re playing 3 in the middle then it should be either…

Fraser
    Dobson Watson

Camara
    Dobson Watson

With McGrandles (who worked well under MA in the past) providing cover to Dobson & Watson when fit.
  • Said my piece on the performance already, but I thought Lincoln fans were excellent. Best atmosphere I've seen as an away supporter for ages 
  • We looked great for the first 20 mins and I was dreaming of promotion.
    Then we reverted to playing like we did pre Appleton.
    We stopped challenging, we didn't close down, we were 2nd to the ball too often and all the defenders were poor.
       Totally agree with you covered end.
       After twenty minutes, looked like an inferior   
       Team with an awful defence.
       Play like that against Bolton and we will be thrashed 👎👎👎👎
  • Haven't read all the posts,  but I share the disappointment and ,yes, misery of that performance. 

Credit to MA  for not savaging the team on Charlton TV, it would have been sooo easy to.

With hindsight, he should have sussed earlier what was happening and changed the team either at half time or even earlier.( abit like the South African Rugby manager vs England). After all he knows their team probably better than ours. Or even better would be to have picked a team and formation that was more defensive, with the option to bring on attacking players latter on. In fact I think that's the way to start on Saturday. Players that can tackle (+ Alfie May)

With glaring problems at the back, I'll just point out that it can help enormously if the strikers can hold the ball up. Leaburn and Chuks are our best options for that but still don't come close to doing it consistently.
     Leaburn is to be sold in January (rumours ), that's the quality I would look for in the replacement.

Also many comments have o overlooked how much we improved when the subs came on in the latter parts, we kept the ball and played in and around their penalty area, a few opportunities that came to nothing. In the context of last nights game that was a big improvement over the shambles that went on after the first 20mins.

• I had a centre-back like Hector for a while. Supremely talented, could do things (with and without the ball) that others couldn't but thought he was too good for the level and tried to coast through games. I ended up playing him up front, where he would put a shift in and look interested. Not suggesting that with Hector but it will be a test for Appleton to see if he can get the best out of a talented player. 
  • edited October 2023
    HandG said:
     I don’t think they were that good, we just made it really easy for them.

Respectfully disagree with this. I thought they were very good, possibly the best team I’ve seen this season….
    I would agree with that and add by some margin. What we do need to look at is the fact they are not running away with the league so why did they look so good last night? I recall not long ago when they played us off the park and won 2-nil. They looked better than anybody else we had played then too. We have to accept that their strengths may highlight our weaknesses, one being we can be a bit soft. Also, they were braver than us, I think Appleton is right on that, but we try to outplay teams rather than outfight them. It will work against many teams at our level, but it highlights a big area for improvement. 

We have to remember that we have a young side and this sort of game is part of their development. I think they were not dirty but they were not worried if they fouled us and their challenges were on the limit of fairness at times. That is not a criticism but a compliment. Some lesser teams at this level could push that too far and then they have to rely on a poor ref but we can't accuse the ref of being so last night. Where I would say Appleton could be criticised is that he didn't set up to deal with their strengths but had he done so and we lost he would have got pelters from us so hey ho.
  • I always say a win and a defeat is better than two draws (50%  better infact) so win on Saturday and we're looking good.
  • jams said:
    The benefit of Fraser is the through ball to TC for the goal, the downside is he is so slow compared to L Watson we lose a lot of cover in front of the back 4
    Fraser doesn’t suit the deep midfield role Appleton has put him in. He’s better suited to the number 10 role that Alfie May (also being played out of position) currently has.

We need MA to find a formation that suits the squad. If we’re playing 3 in the middle then it should be either…

Fraser
    Dobson Watson

Camara
    Dobson Watson

With McGrandles (who worked well under MA in the past) providing cover to Dobson & Watson when fit.
    Although he is getting goals his influence on the game and the threat he causes centre backs is nulled by playing him in the 10. Only we can get a goal scorer and play him out of position.
  • You aren’t going to win many away games without two experienced full backs and with only one midfielder. 
    But exciting at home.

• Sponsored links:

• I think Louie Watson is a better choice than Scott Fraser for all his alleged silky skills.
    To be honest I have often thought that Fraser (who can do the odd good thing) was only a little bit better than Gilbey. Fraser is genuinely left footed which is good, but I am struggling to think of times he has effected results in a positive way.
    The cameo from Chem Campbell (yes he played wide) kind of added to my Fraser doubts.
  • Wasn’t sure if the TV stream was frozen or whether I was actually watching the game. No movement from Charlton players in either case
  • the result surprised me albeit Lincoln played very well, just shows the levels of inconsistency in the lower leagues .. the unbeaten run is over but hopes (at least in my case) are still high that we can make the play offs
  • Carter said:
    First off, Lincoln even though they had an injury list we would be proud of were decent. Sorenson absolutely roasted Thomas all night who got no help from Corey, quality player he is. 
    This was one of the things that really pissed me off. If you're not doing the attacking at least help out the defence a bit. CBT and a lot of attacking wingers are guilty of this. I know he's capable of spontaneous magic, but he needs to do more for the team when he's not cutting in or driving in low crosses. 
  • edited October 2023
    seth plum said:
    I think Louie Watson is a better choice than Scott Fraser for all his alleged silky skills.
    To be honest I have often thought that Fraser (who can do the odd good thing) was only a little bit better than Gilbey. Fraser is genuinely left footed which is good, but I am struggling to think of times he has effected results in a positive way.
    The cameo from Chem Campbell (yes he played wide) kind of added to my Fraser doubts.

@Leuth @Leuth@Leuth @Leuth @Leuth @Leuth

Michael-jackson-eating-popcorn GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
  • edited October 2023
  • Massive wake up call and clarification that we are bang average mid table. Over to you SMT.
  • seth plum said:
    I think Louie Watson is a better choice than Scott Fraser for all his alleged silky skills.

@Leuth @Leuth@Leuth @Leuth @Leuth @Leuth

Michael-jackson-eating-popcorn GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
    It's alright, he has to sit behind me on Saturday