Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Lincoln City vs Charlton Athletic: Tuesday 24th October 2023 | KO 7:45pm

Comments

• HandG said:
     I don’t think they were that good, we just made it really easy for them.

Respectfully disagree with this. I thought they were very good, possibly the best team I’ve seen this season….
    I agree . Maybe it was more desire than quality but they looked excellent for the last hour . 
  • Appleton was spot on as always.
    We didn't compete.
  • Well beat in the end poor second half cost us reminded me of so many games in the past when we seem to not have two half's in us
    Let's hope it's just a bad day & we are not slipping back into that way again 
  • Appleton was spot on as always.
    We didn't compete.
    I like that he's not trying to dress it up or downplay it. Of course what he actually does about it will be the important part - he did a good job of picking them up when he first came in but that won't necessarily be lightning that strikes twice.
  • Did he give any indication on Chuck’s injury ? 
  • Did he give any indication on Chuck’s injury ? 
    Said we would know more by the end of the week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Very few travelling back on the last train.
  • PopIcon said:
    Very few travelling back on the last train.
    Getting back to London at 1:30 wasn’t for me! Not surprised it was quiet….
  • Not seen much mention of Jones. Afraid he’s not cutting it for me. Could have thrown himself in front of the shot for their second (I think, without wanting to watch it back) but wimped out. Certainly no Tom Lockyer. 
  • Not time for panic stations, but today was a bit of a reality check. 
    The defence is still a bit frail, with all of the back four struggling against a lively Lincoln team.
    Louie Watson offers more than Fraser, who I think is a bit lightweight when you’re in a battle.
    Does Dobbo need a rest? Perhaps Watson, Camara  and Chem Campbell might be a midfield combo worth trying?
    Of course, we missed Aneke. Miles is still quite raw and couldn’t get involved at all today.
    it was really disappointing to lose after starting so well. It’ll be a real test on Saturday against Bolton. 
  • edited October 2023
    Incredible reactions tonight, unbeaten in six and we're heading for promotion.  Lose one game and we're s***!
    We were proper shit. It ain't over til it's over.
  • Just back through the door. A weird performance overall and one which perhaps indicated that even in adversity we will be rigidly sticking to the formation and style of play we have prepared for. That last 15 mins was calling for a change to 2 up top, probably 4-4-2 with Camara and Watson in the middle. Instead Tedic on the left CAM slot and Chem C on the right. 

Am not going overboard on one poor result, but if we genuinely want to be pushing for promotion, we need to get back to winning ways immediately. The pack leaders won’t be stopping and giving us a chance to catch up, we need to stay with the top 6.

Am sure Appleton would have shared some home truths with them last night. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Incredible reactions tonight, unbeaten in six and we're heading for promotion.  Lose one game and we're s***!
    Then if we beat Bolton we're gunning for the play-off!!!!

I go back to the early 80's when I started going regularly, managers were given the length of their contract and fans accepted things.  

I realise this is a different era but I am very happy to have experienced this period.  

Football stinks.
  • edited October 2023
    Dazzler21 said:
    Then if we beat Bolton we're gunning for the play-off!!!!

I go back to the early 80's when I started going regularly, managers were given the length of their contract and fans accepted things.  

I realise this is a different era but I am very happy to have experienced this period.  

Football stinks.
     I don't see anyone saying we shouldn't be doing this?

• Sponsored links:

• HandG said:
    Supporting Charlton is such a bloody pain.

Defeats are obviously inevitable whoever you follow but performances away from home like tonight have been the norm for so long and, call me snobby, but I’m not sure I’ll ever accept that the likes of Lincoln and Oxford have suddenly become such tough places to come where we always seem to be shit! And I always seem to be there to witness it!

One constructive note about the game is that we should get the youngsters (Leaburn, Assimwe and Campbell) back on the bench on Saturday to run at tired defenders for 25 minutes rather than start. Also, although I thought Fraser did okay, Louis Watson is one of the first names on the team sheet for me and also has to be back in….
    I didn't realise Fraser was playing .Hardly showed at all, apart from a couple of crap corners.
  • Inside my heart of hearts (pessimistic/realistic self) it’s not gonna happen imo this season , too many inconsistent passengers, too many youngsters who aren’t yet at the level required .
    overhyped pretty nothing footballers 
    the slim chance we have of making the play offs needs our cheat code Chuks to be available most of the time .
    He comes on last night and there would be a threat , the rest of em come on and made no difference .
    if CBT is not firing we aren’t .
    Realistically 3 points from these next two games are needed to keep us hanging on in the hunt and anything above that will push me in to the we’re not as guff as I think zone but is anyone rushing to back us against Bolton .

i thought their keeper was proper on his heels for our goal, he’s got to be coming out and claiming that putting it in to row Z
    AMB did well but please learn to parry the ball away to the sides , angle and soften the hands to push behind to the sides when possible .
    We made Sorensen look like the offspring of Messi/Ronaldo 

I think men against boys would sum up last night. 
  • Away so not seen the game.

Lincoln isn't an easy away game, they're good at home, and have the caretaker manager bounce.

Having said that, I've always been slightly dubious about the 4231 formation, which is effectively 424 at times, as it does leave us weak in the middle in games when we're not at our best.

To me it's fine for home games, but not away games where you want to grind out a result. Having said that, I'm not sure we have the players to grind out a 1-0.
  • Hi Bedsaddick said:
    What on earth did i just watch? For twenty minutes we were on fire and then we just stopped playing. 
    Lincoln absolutely battered us and should have won by five or six goals. Our defence was shocking again. All four . Special mention for Thomas who just went wandering whenever he felt like it and got caught out by Sorensen every time , who was brilliant by the way. 
    This team is going nowhere until we bring in a couple of defenders with brains. 
    We looked knackered and out of ideas . Typical Charlton , brought straight back down to reality after winning four nil on Saturday.
    How bad must Reading be?
    Well Done Lincoln - You wanted it more and totally deserved the win. 
    This …
  • Our away performances are simply gutless - not very promising.

Can't defend this badly and hope to be competitive.

• Great first 20 minutes the rest was shocking, but reckon you'd be a bit nieve to think we are gonna play like we did in the first 20 for the rest of the season, considering how we were playing up until Appleton come in.