Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Lincoln City vs Charlton Athletic: Tuesday 24th October 2023 | KO 7:45pm

Comments

• There are too many oxygen stealers in that team. OMG Thomas & Hector. Bad bad players. 🤬

• It's a vicious cycle isn't it.

I just view it as people get emotional and I doubt it's said with too much malice. If people can't have a moan here then where?

Appleton did get it wrong, it's not to say he's a bad manager as he's done well so far and he's in credit, but he definitely got it wrong, Lincoln certainly played well but it shouldn't have been so easy when you consider Lincoln City's squad. The Dobson captain shouts are valid imo, he doesn't have a captains presence about him and he doesn't command vocally on the pitch. There is no doubt he is a 100%er and he leaves it all on the pitch, he just doesn't appear to have proper leaders skills on the pitch from what I have seen, what he is like off it is anyones guess, but I can see why people say it. 

I don't see the pattern as I can't recall anyone saying top2 seriously tbf mate, usually sarcasm no? I think a fair few people think we can stake a claim for play-offs (that's where I sit currently) but most people think 7-12th is our current level it seems. 

That's my mindset about it as well though, bad night, write it off and go again. I do however think it's fair to discuss players individual performances and thoughts, I'd find it pretty boring on here if everyone just said nothing about the game. 

One thing I have always come to expect is more posts on these threads if we lose compared to winning, people are far more tempted to talk about bad news than good, we all love a moan. So I open this thread expecting to see people ranting from the off.
    It certainly is.

I have the same view mate, coming on here to have a moan is the whole idea, get it. My point is that I don't understand how it can be so irrationally up and down. It just doesn't make sense to me.

He maybe did, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. I know it's not being questioned about him personally but that is going to happen from time to time.

Apart from Dobson, not a single person in that team is captain material to me. He is the epitome of a captain, not sure what he says on the pitch, or how anyone can hear what he's saying from the stands to be honest, but so be it, his actions certainly speak louder than his words if that's the case. 

Yep I sit in the same place currently also, don't think it is a unreasonable target. With a play-off place though, hiccups will happen over the season.

Do think you are missing my point though, not that I am suggesting you agree, but just find the difference a game makes for some people quite baffling. Not suggesting for on minute that nothing should be said, far from it.
  • I watched on the stream and my first look at us since Exeter.  I’ve been quietly optimistic given the recent run, but I thought we looked really poor last night.

I’m 100% convinced we’ve got more about us than last season, and in Dobson, CBT, Leaburn, Louie Watson and May, 5 players who are good enough to get us out the league.  The other 6 is where we’re going to struggle.  Aneke and Camara because of fitness, and then the remaining players boil down to lack of quality.

Fraser’s ball for the first goal was excellent, but for every one moment of magic we get for him, we sacrifice so much more by having him in the team imo.  I was enthused when we signed him and thought he could genuinely go on to be a missing ingredient, but I think he’s a lazy footballer who doesn’t work hard enough to fulfil his potential and other players have to do more work when he’s in the team.  Dobson last night was exposed, and since the arrival of Louie Watson, we’ve looked much more balanced with those 2.

Unfortunately, Leaburn and CBT went missing, and Tyreece Campbell probably isn’t a starter (yet), but I can understand Appleton giving him a run out after his goal and performance at the weekend.

The defence look really bad as a unit and lack leadership.  Hector, despite stupid comments like Rolls Royce of a player for this league, is not the leader we need, and Jones is an okay defender, but between the two of them, I don’t see it as a promotion winning CB pairing.  Thomas tries hard, and I know he’s only at LB because Edun is injured, but we can’t afford many more games with him at LB.  He got turned inside out last night and as many people who have made that age old argument about ‘good squad player’, the problem is when a ‘good squad player’ ends up playing 25 plus games a season, which he could well do.  

Some have commented that we miss Aneke, and I haven’t seen his contributions since Exeter and I know he adds something, but we have to get used to missing him, it’s par for the course.  

Overall I don’t think it’s doom and gloom.  On our day we carry a good attacking threat and hopefully we just had a mare last night, but, outside of the 5 I referenced above, I feel we will have a few more performances like last night throughout the course of the season, and unless we get a bit more quality in in Jan, we may fall short, but not as short as we did last season 

@Weegie Addick - I’m back for Bolton and technically 3 wins from 3 if you only count games I’ve watched in person, so I hope that’s a good omen for Sat 
  • swordfish said:
    Thing is, I've become accustomed to not expecting us to get good results in L1 and am always pleasantly surprised when we win. I keep hoping for better, but I never really get that belief. I think we are building back, but there's so much to do it's going to take longer than this season to transform. 

Patience may be a virtue, but it's in short supply after our experiences of recent years.

On a positive note, the play offs will remain a possibility for some considerable time yet. Weren't Blackpool in the bottom three at Xmas the last time they were promoted out of L1 under Critchley? It can be done.
    From memory Blackpool run started from early Dec, they were low down but I don't think it was bottom 3.Should have looked it up before typing! why let the facts get in the way!
    Perhaps an easier comparison for CAFC fans to make… the season we got promoted 18/19, we’re only three points behind that side after 13 games.

Still plenty of matches to go in a long long season.
  • msomerton said:
    Said in the summer that I’d be happy if Hector left, I’ve never really rated him, but was told he was a Championship quality defender and we’d be lucky to have him. After last Saturday, when he apparently played well against a Reading team that hadn’t won away for 18 games, someone called him Premiership class. All bollocks. The bloke wanders around each week as if he doesn’t want to be here and only is because he couldn’t get a gig anywhere else. I’d actually rather someone who’s not as good but at least gives a shit.

And Curbs is right. If we are not playing well tonight then we needed someone to say to everyone, right, strap yourselves in, keep it tight, fight for everything and let’s just escape with a draw. I mean I love Dobbo but is he captain material? I never see him bawling out people or giving a youngster encouragement etc. When the chips are down we don’t have anyone who can drag the team through it.

A really awful performance by all bar AMB. Some I can easily forgive, Asiimwe, Campbell, Leanurn etc as they are still learning and hopefully they will learn quickly from this experience but others like Hector, Thomas and Jones, seasoned pros, need a kick up the arse pronto. 
    Hector has to be replaced by Ness. Been constantly letting us down this season.

Both Watsons will also hopefully come back into the side on Sat.
    Sorry Ness is no better than Hector at the moment. Being younger he can improve but will take time and he needs to be brought in slowly.
    Ness makes fewer mistakes. 
  • edited October 2023
    This Lincoln lad *apparently* had Championship interest in the summer. If that doesn’t materialise, he’s the sort of player we should be looking to add to build a promotion winning team.

Traditionally a right sided midfielder / wing back but played further forward last night and had a very good game.

• This Lincoln lad *apparently* had Championship interest in the summer. If that doesn’t materialise, he’s the sort of player we should be looking to add to build a promotion winning team.

Traditionally a right sided midfielder / wing back but played further forward last night and had a very good game.

He was the player who kept shooting outside the box repeatedly, bit of stat padding there.

He did have a very decent game though 
  • This Lincoln lad *apparently* had Championship interest in the summer. If that doesn’t materialise, he’s the sort of player we should be looking to add to build a promotion winning team.

Couldn't get a kick under MA at Lincoln and apparently they don't have a good relationship. 
  • edited October 2023
    swordfish said:
    Thing is, I've become accustomed to not expecting us to get good results in L1 and am always pleasantly surprised when we win. I keep hoping for better, but I never really get that belief. I think we are building back, but there's so much to do it's going to take longer than this season to transform. 

Patience may be a virtue, but it's in short supply after our experiences of recent years.

On a positive note, the play offs will remain a possibility for some considerable time yet. Weren't Blackpool in the bottom three at Xmas the last time they were promoted out of L1 under Critchley? It can be done.
    From memory Blackpool run started from early Dec, they were low down but I don't think it was bottom 3.Should have looked it up before typing! why let the facts get in the way!
    I asked a question. You answered it. Thanks for that 👍 I wasn't trying to rewrite the facts and my point is just as valid.
  • Sponsored links:

Couldn't get a kick under MA at Lincoln and apparently they don't have a good relationship. 
    If so, then there is the reason he was mustard last night for them with a point to prove.

Just wanna be proved wrong by this squad of players.  Mickey A has a lot of work to do here,  too many passengers on a beaten up old bus...

Scrape the playoffs, bottle the playoffs I reckon. 

Should be called the PlayIFS with us.
  • clive said:
    HandG said:
    PopIcon said:
    Very few travelling back on the last train.
    Getting back to London at 1:30 wasn’t for me! Not surprised it was quiet….
    It arrived back at Kings Cross at 01.15, fifteen minutes early, did me no favours as it added to my wait for a N63 night bus, but i did make my connection onto a N1 bus from Elephant & Castle to Plumstead Corner to arrive indoors at 02.55.
    Rather you than me waiting for a night bus at The Elephant & Castle in the early hours.
    Well done Clive.
  • edited October 2023
    clive said:
    HandG said:
    PopIcon said:
    It arrived back at Kings Cross at 01.15, fifteen minutes early, did me no favours as it added to my wait for a N63 night bus, but i did make my connection onto a N1 bus from Elephant & Castle to Plumstead Corner to arrive indoors at 02.55.
    Fair play to you Clive. I would have been fuming if I had put that much effort in to witness such a lacklustre / effortless performance from the players.

Hopefully we bag a rare away win to give the travelling fans something to celebrate soon.
  • I felt a bit for MA last night tbh he started the players that came on at the weekend, on Saturday those players looked class then 3 days later the same players put in a totally different performance.

not the time to panic hopefully that was just a blip but we needed something out of that game as I can’t see us getting any kind of result on Saturday although this is Charlton so maybe they will turn up and surprise me
  • For a change we started the game well, but then didn't fancy continuing or showing up in the second half. So strange compared to recent patterns. 
  • clive said:
    HandG said:
    PopIcon said:
    Fair play to you Clive. I would have been fuming if I had put that much effort in to witness such a lacklustre / effortless performance from the players.

Hopefully we bag a rare away win to give the travelling fans something to celebrate soon.
    If Clive is who I think it is , he has seen a by far worst run than this one. What was it 29 away games without a victory then  came QPR that November day 4-1😀
  • JamesSeed said:
    msomerton said:
    Said in the summer that I’d be happy if Hector left, I’ve never really rated him, but was told he was a Championship quality defender and we’d be lucky to have him. After last Saturday, when he apparently played well against a Reading team that hadn’t won away for 18 games, someone called him Premiership class. All bollocks. The bloke wanders around each week as if he doesn’t want to be here and only is because he couldn’t get a gig anywhere else. I’d actually rather someone who’s not as good but at least gives a shit.

And Curbs is right. If we are not playing well tonight then we needed someone to say to everyone, right, strap yourselves in, keep it tight, fight for everything and let’s just escape with a draw. I mean I love Dobbo but is he captain material? I never see him bawling out people or giving a youngster encouragement etc. When the chips are down we don’t have anyone who can drag the team through it.

A really awful performance by all bar AMB. Some I can easily forgive, Asiimwe, Campbell, Leanurn etc as they are still learning and hopefully they will learn quickly from this experience but others like Hector, Thomas and Jones, seasoned pros, need a kick up the arse pronto. 
    Hector has to be replaced by Ness. Been constantly letting us down this season.

Both Watsons will also hopefully come back into the side on Sat.
    Sorry Ness is no better than Hector at the moment. Being younger he can improve but will take time and he needs to be brought in slowly.
    Ness makes fewer mistakes. 
    I am not convinced he does last season, he was blessed to be partnered by Inniss who got the blame for everything.  Jones gets away with stuff now because it's always Hector's fault.

Now I am not suggesting that the four above players are "promotion quantity" but there is something fundamentally wrong with the way we defend and has been since the clean sheet run we had under Bowyer over 3 years ago.  We didn't have significantly better players then.

We play teams with worse players who are much better organised, drilled, committed, what ever it is.

Maybe it's a simple as the combination of the players.  Maybe one addition could solve the problem.  Maybe the new coach can.  But its more than a dozen players and half a dozen managers can all have the same problem.
  • Sponsored links:

• Why is it that when we lose and people voice their concerns about a recent fixture, it's seen as 'over the top' or 'overreaction' etc. The thread is post match Lincoln, not post last ten games. If people want to vent I don't see the big deal. I am sure when people are sharing their thoughts it's not with too much ill intent. Basically why moan about people moaning. I realise I now find myself moaning about people moaning about peoples moaning.

Oh the irony ;) 

I made the comment on the fact that, from most, everything is so painfully literal. I just don't get how people make concrete assumptions after a performance. 

All of a sudden, Appleton has got it wrong, Hector is awful and Fraser is useless. Won't even get to Dobson not being a captain!?

Last week people were discussing about mathematically breaking into the top 2, now we are average mid table. See the pattern?

People can vent away, totally agree, that's the whole point of the forum, as is backing the team on a set back.

Last night was a bad day at the office, we move on.
    Then if we beat Bolton we're back on track.  That is football fans in general I think.
  • clive said:
    HandG said:
    PopIcon said:

If Clive is who I think it is , he has seen a by far worst run than this one. What was it 29 away games without a victory then  came QPR that November day 4-1😀
    Not the same person.  This guy don't go much ;)
  • Croydon said:
    clive said:
    AMB needs to learn to push saves away from danger 
    think that applies to a lot of keepers these days, even the top ones. Amazes me how few keepers actually hold on to the ball when making saves. 
  • swordfish said:

Perhaps an easier comparison for CAFC fans to make… the season we got promoted 18/19, we’re only three points behind that side after 13 games.

Still plenty of matches to go in a long long season.

This is good news-thank you. If I knew how to do a thumbs up emoji it would be  here
  • Had a debrief from my Lincoln supporting ex neighbour. That performance and result took them all by surprise. He reckons Sorensen and Adelukan had something to prove as they were both sidelined by MA during his tenure. It all makes sense now!
  • Had a debrief from my Lincoln supporting ex neighbour. That performance and result took them all by surprise. He reckons Sorensen and Adelukan had something to prove as they were both sidelined by MA during his tenure. It all makes sense now!
    That Sorensen was a serious player, if we are going to lose players like CBT and Dobbo on frees I hope we can manage to pick players like that up.

He ran the show down the right and always seemed to be fairly dangerous attacking. Seemed to be able to cover a number of roles as well. 
  • swordfish said:
    swordfish said:

I asked a question. You answered it. Thanks for that 👍 I wasn't trying to rewrite the facts and my point is just as valid.
    Apologies- my sentence should have read "I  should have" -it wasn't a dig at you, apologies that the written words don't reflect what I thought I was typing. My slow brain
  • mendonca said:
    Are we scouting Sorenson now in the same manner we did DJ and Kirk? 

He had a good game, yes. Full stop.
    Add Fraser to that criteria