Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England vs Italy - Euro 2024 Qualifier - KO @ 7:45pm - C4

Comments

• edited October 2023
    What's perhaps more impressive is, right now, if you're picking a world XI, which is obviously hugely subjective, I think 3 or 4 English players are legitimate considerations for that team - not saying you'd pick them all - but I don't think anyone would say you are mad to have them as potential inclusions.
    I think you are right, to an extent - I think our Brazilian, German, French, Argentinian friends when picking a world XI would name Bellingham, and maybe Kane too. I don't think those people would have been picking out any other English players like that since Gazza, or going even furthr back Moore and Charton (B) 

I think we have a habit of seeing English players as better and more indispensible than they really were. We are a bit biased after all.

I dont think Bellingham and Kane is about bias this time.
  • What's perhaps more impressive is, right now, if you're picking a world XI, which is obviously hugely subjective, I think 3 or 4 English players are legitimate considerations for that team - not saying you'd pick them all - but I don't think anyone would say you are mad to have them as potential inclusions.
    I think you are right, to an extent - I think our Brazilian, German, French, Argentinian friends when picking a world XI would name Bellingham, and maybe Kane too. I don't think those people would have been picking out any other English players like that since Gazza, or going even furthr back Moore and Charton (B) 

I think we have a habit of seeing English players as better and more indispensible than they really were. We are a bit biased after all.

We've definitely had some players more recently who were the best in the world in their position.  Ashley Cole for example.

John Terry made the World XI at FIFA awards several times.  Beckham was 2nd in World Player of the Year twice, nearly won it one of those, Lampard came second another year in that and the Ballon d'Or, Gerrard 3rd, Shearer 2nd or 3rd around Euro 96.

But I feel like Bellingham could be better than all of them.
  • What's perhaps more impressive is, right now, if you're picking a world XI, which is obviously hugely subjective, I think 3 or 4 English players are legitimate considerations for that team - not saying you'd pick them all - but I don't think anyone would say you are mad to have them as potential inclusions.

We've definitely had some players more recently who were the best in the world in their position.  Ashley Cole for example.

John Terry made the World XI at FIFA awards several times.  Beckham was 2nd in World Player of the Year twice, nearly won it one of those, Lampard came second another year in that and the Ballon d'Or, Gerrard 3rd, Shearer 2nd or 3rd around Euro 96.

To be clear, you think Terry, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard and Shearer would have been in ANY of our international friend's best XI?

At any stage of their respective careers? 

Not on your nelly 

Thats England bias mate. sorry.

To be clear, you think Terry, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard and Shearer would have been in ANY of our international friend's best XI?

Not on your nelly 

Who do you think voted?!

Not on your nelly 

Who do you think voted?!
    FIFA I assume
  • fair play mate i got it wrong then. 

Well and the fans of those nations have their own biases too. That's why I said it's subjective. Even Kane isn't a shoe-in for centre forward with Haaland around. What I mean is, when you're drawing up your shortlist for best players in the world in each position, there's going to be more than just Kane and Bellingham making those shortlist. Rice, Saka, Foden (perhaps more for club form than country form), maybe even Rashford (although less so on his form this season), while they maybe don't make the final selected XI they're on the shortlists. I think Saka, in particular, has a very strong case. There's not really many outstanding individuals in the German, Italian, or Brazilian teams right now. Even Argentina won a world cup without a superstar at their peak (Messi was still very good but not the full Messi of old). Probably only France match us for depth of talent right now, and I don't think I'm being biased when I say that.

Weirdly, two of the best players in the Premier League right now are Norwegian, but Scotland of all teams have qualified ahead of Norway.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Replaces Henderson and starts Foden. Wow.

Wonder if Southgate feels a bit under pressure.
    What ? Henderson played for the ‘b’ team against Australia on Friday. Foden replaced Saka. I don’t get the under pressure bit ?  
  • edited October 2023

What's perhaps more impressive is, right now, if you're picking a world XI, which is obviously hugely subjective, I think 3 or 4 English players are legitimate considerations for that team - not saying you'd pick them all - but I don't think anyone would say you are mad to have them as potential inclusions.

Well and the fans of those nations have their own biases too. That's why I said it's subjective. Even Kane isn't a shoe-in for centre forward with Haaland around. What I mean is, when you're drawing up your shortlist for best players in the world in each position, there's going to be more than just Kane and Bellingham making those shortlist. Rice, Saka, Foden (perhaps more for club form than country form), maybe even Rashford (although less so on his form this season), while they maybe don't make the final selected XI they're on the shortlists. I think Saka, in particular, has a very strong case. There's not really many outstanding individuals in the German, Italian, or Brazilian teams right now. Even Argentina won a world cup without a superstar at their peak (Messi was still very good but not the full Messi of old). Probably only France match us for depth of talent right now, and I don't think I'm being biased when I say that.

Weirdly, two of the best players in the Premier League right now are Norwegian, but Scotland of all teams have qualified ahead of Norway.
    respectfully, i disagree (-i always do) its Kane and Bellingham -  feel free to tie yourself in knots to come to the same conclusion
  • Sponsored links:

• That was a really decent performance by England. Moved the ball quickly and having the x factor of Bellingham cannot be underplayed, he is well on his way to making a claim for the best footballer on the planet. 

Italy don't get beaten by 2 goal margins as a rule and to do that coming from behind against an Italy side isn't to be sniffed at regardless of who is in the squad 

For me the next tournament has to be the one we win, I said after France beat us at the mickey mouse world cup we were 2 thirds of the way up the mountain and I genuinely believe in Bellingham we are fortunate enough to have a genuine match winner to support our other crucial, essential player in Kane. 
  • A few points.

Every other country's fans are biased, though few have as many cynics as we do in England. 
    Every country's commentators are biased, many far more biased than ours. 
    Bellingham will get injured in April. Probably by a player who will be up against us in Germany.
    VAR is shit.
    Sam 3110 has gone very quiet. 

• Took my lad to the match last night, decent match and glad I took the day off today. 

One thing though, when we arrived they were interviewing Trevor Sinclair on the pitch, call me old fashioned but when the FA are (rightfully so) being strong on the likes of Black Lives Matter and Kick Racism out etc is it really advisable to be putting a man who was convicted of racially abusing a policeman front and centre there?
  • edited October 2023
    Carter said:
    That was a really decent performance by England. Moved the ball quickly and having the x factor of Bellingham cannot be underplayed, he is well on his way to making a claim for the best footballer on the planet. 

Italy don't get beaten by 2 goal margins as a rule and to do that coming from behind against an Italy side isn't to be sniffed at regardless of who is in the squad 

For me the next tournament has to be the one we win, I said after France beat us at the mickey mouse world cup we were 2 thirds of the way up the mountain and I genuinely believe in Bellingham we are fortunate enough to have a genuine match winner to support our other crucial, essential player in Kane. 
    Centre back still worries me (Maguire not Stones).

Apart from that we're really strong at the moment.
  • buckshee said:
    Took my lad to the match last night, decent match and glad I took the day off today. 

One thing though, when we arrived they were interviewing Trevor Sinclair on the pitch, call me old fashioned but when the FA are (rightfully so) being strong on the likes of Black Lives Matter and Kick Racism out etc is it really advisable to be putting a man who was convicted of racially abusing a policeman front and centre there?
    You'd think others might deserve the opportunity more than him. 
  • Carter said:
    That was a really decent performance by England. Moved the ball quickly and having the x factor of Bellingham cannot be underplayed, he is well on his way to making a claim for the best footballer on the planet. 

Centre back still worries me (Maguire not Stones).

Apart from that we're really strong at the movement.
    I'm a Harry Maguire fan, I will listen to anyone who says he should be playing but I appreciate Southgate trusts him and he hasn't got form for letting the team down. Lewis Dunk hasn't looked out of place at all though last few games. Stones is one of the best centre halves in the world in my book, I'm glad he was allowed to make a lot of fuck ups when he was younger. Southgate, I liked what he did last night, stayed with the Italians first half and knew we would have them on the breaks which is how I think we have been set up to play for years but now have exactly the players to pull it off. 

I'm a natural pessimist with football and there is plenty of time before the tournament. Hopefully Maguire gets loaned abroad for 6 months to get some mileage in his legs 
  • edited October 2023
    I don't think i've ever known less players by name in an Italian team in my lifetime - I think maybe 4 of them ring a bell? 
    I didn't know Quasimodo and his three brothers played for Italy.
  • Wellred said:
    3-1 to us Come On England  B)
    If that's not a post-game edit, I'll have the next Charlton score, please.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Not only did Bellingham take a couple of Italian players out of the picture with his go go gadget leg, he continued his run after laying it off to Rashford. 

His movement made a couple of defenders step towards the right at the perfect time for Rashford to cut inside and get a clear sight at goal. And Rashford gave the keeper no chance.
    That was almost a carbon copy of Lineker's  goal in the "Gazza freekick" FA Cup semi.  Same end as well I think.
    Can't be the same end, they laid the pitch at 90degrees to the original when they rebuilt the stadium.
  • Laddick01 said:
    How long has it been since England have had arguably the current 'best player in the world' ?

Possibilities for the position they played I can remember - Banks, Moore, R Charlton, Gasgoigne, Lineker, Robson.  Now Kane.  Difficult to say if, for example, a keeper is a better keeper than a striker is a better striker so judging the absolute best player isn't easy.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2023
    With my half Italian hat on, they have no pace and not enough goal threat. When you look at the riches England have in that respect, they may be a bit envious. I think they will scrape through though and they can always bore their way to success.

I was pleased for Rashford. He is off form but that goal may have helped him find some again. At his best he can be unplayable. I would have taken him off before that so that is a positive. Phillips should have come off sooner, he is not that important to the team where we could risk that second yellow and he probably should have got one in the second half. 
  • edited October 2023
    With my half Italian hat on, they have no pace and not enough goal threat. When you look at the riches England have in that respect, they may be a bit envious. I think they will scrape through though and they can always bore their way to success.

I was pleased for Rashford. He is off form but that goal may have helped him find some again. At his best he can be unplayable. I would have taken him off before that so that is a positive.  
    Thought they started to look dangerous down the right/our left a few times but they were really lacking the final ball/finish.
  • fair play mate i got it wrong then. 
    Would say this - they picked Trent Alexander-Arnold at right back one year, so there's a debate on whether our international friends know what they are talking about!!
  • Looking back, I don’t think it was our best performance by any means. Poorest game I’ve seen Rice have, and the left side of Rashford and Trippier got overran first half. Then a couple of tweaks and regroup at HT and second half was so much better. 
  • how the fuck did Zola only get 35 games for Italy. 
    Dont think,I could be wrong,DiCanio got any caps.
    didn't he have something similar to Chris Sutton where they wanted him to play for the b team and he told them to poke it?
    didn't he have something similar to Chris Sutton where they wanted him to play for the b team and he told them to poke it?
    He played one game for the Italy B Team
    Sutton got 1 full cap, then the B team thing happened. 
    Italy were stacked in that 'just off the main striker/nunber 10' place - Del Piero, Totti etc.